Trick or Treat, Smell My Feet!

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a group of witches meeting up on Halloween night.... view prompt

682 comments

Horror Funny Friendship

The wind howled like a banshee, cutting through the silence of the black sky like a scissor.

Boys and girls - even parents - of all sizes flooded the decorated streets.

The witches in the house had scared many trick-or-treaters away with their 'creepiness,' blood, and pranks, so they were bored out of their minds now, needing something to do.

“Alright, let the-” Amany said, waving a stick in the air and kicking her chunky black wedge heels off. She was forced to the side by an elbow, and a girl who was smiling from ear-to-ear took her place.

“Let the meeting begin!” Ria exclaimed, her arms in a jumping jack position. Her eyebrows wiggled like worms as she said ‘begin,’ and she grinned. Ria stumbled forward, tripping on the broomsticks against the wall. Her pointy black hat drooped a bit, like a sad puppy who got scolded.

“Girl, you gotta be careful,” Kylie said, laughing and helping Adrienne stand up.

“It was their fault!” Ria said, pointing at the broomsticks and sticking her tongue out at them.

“Wait- why are we doing this again?” B’s eyebrow cocked at the girls as she said, “We saw each other yesterday.”

Ria’s eyes widened, and her hands went to her heart. “B, I haven’t seen you in five whole years! What’re you talking about?” she said, a smile appearing on her face.

Amany gently smacked Ria on the back of her head. “I mean, we planned this, didn’t we?”

Ria rubbed the back of her head with her thumbs.

“Yeah, I know!” B said, flopping onto the sofa like a limp doll.

“Okay, so the meeting has begun... now what?” Kylie asked, adjusting her witch's cloak as she sat down next to B. She grabbed a white pillow from the couch and cuddled it like a puppy.

“I don’t know, we didn’t plan this far ahead,” Ria said, laughing and walking over to the sofa.

"And honestly, I'm kind of tired of walking to the door over and over," Kylie said, sighing and fixing the fake blood on her neck.

“Well, do you guys wanna watch Netflix or something?” B asked, taking off her black lace-up knee-high wedge boots and sliding them under the couch.

“Sure,” Amany said, playing with the smooth, plastic mole on her face.

Ria looked at Kylie, and they nodded at each other, their lips pressed together as if they were trying to hold in a secret.

Kylie got up from the couch and ran over to where the remote lay, on the wooden coffee table in the middle of the room.

“We’re going to talk. Socialize!” Ria exclaimed, grinning. “Fun, right, guys?”

A blood-curdling scream rang in the air, and B jumped up.

“What the-” she exclaimed, tiptoeing over to the back door.

A satisfying click came from the door as B locked it, turning back to her friends. Her eyes were wide open, and goosebumps formed all over her skin.

“This isn’t funny...” Amany murmured, her lips parted in an ‘o’ shape.

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

Kylie struggled to stifle her screams as someone- something- banged on the back door as if their fists would never break.

Ria ran over to Kylie and hugged her, rubbing her shoulders. Her eyes were wide too, and her heartbeat pounded in her ears.

“Who’s there?” Amany said, glaring at the door.

Silence. Nobody said a thing on the other end, not even when Amany repeated herself.

“Who’s there?!”

Bang!

Bang!

Bang!

“Help, I need-!” a woman’s voice yelled, her fists sliding down the door. Her voice was high, and it sounded like sandpaper.

Kylie’s eyes widened at the woman’s cry for help, and B shouted, “Open the door!”

Amany gulped and nodded, raising her shaky hand. The fake brass handle shone like glass as Amany reached for the lock and grabbed the handle.

No one was there.

Ria let out a shriek as she saw what was in front of the door.

A bit of blood flowed into the room, soaking Amany’s socks. But she didn’t care, she couldn’t stop staring at the doormat. On the words ‘welcome’ written in big, blocky, black letters was a body.

A woman’s body, crippled up right against Amany’s feet.

Nobody spoke.

The woman’s face was twisted like a twizzler, her face distorted horribly.

“No! Close it!” Ria and B exclaimed, their eyes glassy.

Amany nodded and shut the door, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

Ria sobbed and grabbed another pillow from the couch.

“Heartless...” she muttered, “heartless. Why do people enjoy hurting each other?!”

Amany walked over to Ria and hugged her tightly. Kylie and B joined in, and they hugged each other for a while.

“Is there like- a security camera out there?” B asked Amany, her eyes red and puffy. Lines appeared on her forehead as if someone had drawn on it.

“I don’t know,” Amany said, wiping her face.

“Do you think we should give her a funeral?” Kylie asked, glancing at the door.

Ria’s eyes widened. “I’m sorry, I can’t...” she said, “I can’t with that...” she shook her head and rocked herself, playing with the itchy, gauze-like fluff that hung off her black skirt.

“Yeah, and my parents rarely allow dead bodies in my house,” Amany said with a weak smile, rubbing Ria’s back.

Kylie nodded and stood up, walking towards the door.

Ria watched her, waiting to see what she would do. She opened her mouth to say something, then closed it as Kylie’s hand neared the door handle.

Click!

Kylie locked the door, running back to her comfortable spot on the couch.

“Where are parents when you need them?” Ria asked, turning her head away from the door.

Kylie shrugged and grabbed a decoration from the plain wall, putting it on Ria’s head.

B smiled at Amany, Ria, and Kylie, then her expression switched to seriousness. “Guys, what are we going to do about the body?”

The door creaked open and the girls jumped out of their spots, startled.

“We’re home!” Amany’s parents called, parading through the door with bags of candy.

Their grins dropped as soon as they spotted the girls’ expressions. “What happened?”

“We saw a-“ Amany started, running over to her parents and hugging them.

B cut her off, her eyes wide, “Scary movie. We watched a scary movie,”

“Yeah, and Amany got a teensy bit jumpy,” - Adrienne nodded, smiling at Amany’s parents - “if ya know what I mean.”

Amany’s eyes widened. “Mom, look!” she pulled her mother towards the back door of the house and unlocked it. The woman’s head, which the door had supported, fell to the ground with a painful thump!

Amany’s mother stared at the body, her eyes wide. She turned to her husband, whose eyes were glued to the body.

Then, they laughed. Doubled over, holding their stomachs for dear life, as if their guts would spill out at any second.

Amany stared at her parents, trying to form words but failing.

B cleared her throat and said, “‘Scuse me, would you mind telling me why you’re laughing?”

“W-well,” - Amany’s father let out a chuckle and he stood up straight, smiling at the girls - “we got you!”

October 26, 2020 20:25

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

682 comments

B. W.
04:36 Nov 10, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
19:07 Nov 09, 2020

Hey, i think i need some help with something

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:09 Nov 09, 2020

What's up?

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Nov 09, 2020

Well, you know all of my stories are mostly fantasy and stuff, right?

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:55 Nov 09, 2020

Uh-huh?

Reply

B. W.
20:18 Nov 09, 2020

Well, i was wanting to try and do just a regular realistic story without any sorts of fantasy and stuff like that. Though I've never done one before and I could use some help.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:43 Nov 09, 2020

Alright, so no ghosts, no magic, no flying, no magical stuff :P

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.