29 comments

Adventure Creative Nonfiction Drama

“What the……….it was here only 30 minutes ago


Hans stared stupidly at the empty rectangle of worn-away gravel, weeds, and murky puddle in the middle.


Warned of such crimes he’d dismissed them as idle and unimportant. Outraged, feeling foolish, he churlishly kicked at the ground.


 Scheisse! I’ve been………….



                       CARNAPPED



A few people had gathered after hearing the commotion. Quietly muttering and nodding in sympathy, they’d seen it before. Gringo, blond-haired, young, innocent and vulnerable to the oldest trick in the book.


Targeted as he parked and strolled into the shop, the ladrones on a busy Saturday afternoon had claimed another victim.



LA TIENDA CUERO where the most exotic indigenous animal skins, crafted into belts, luggage and such, at a fraction of the cost elsewhere, was always busy, especially on weekends.

Hans was going to select a particular alligator skin handbag. It was a bit more than his bonus, even with rock bottom prices! but Lisa had given birth earlier that morning in spite of their worries, to a healthy big baby boy. Still sleeping when he left, he couldn’t wait to see them both, she was worth ten handbags.


Striding back into the shop, Hans had to agree the busy staff had seen nothing, nor any of the shoppers.


Lots of hand wringing and useless clucking didn’t help as he phoned for a taxi.


………”Aye, no, Dios mio”……..they called as he left.



 Not difficult to trace, the glove compartment had everything, name, age, place of business, etc.


The phone call came later that evening:


Business-like and short. An agent would contact him the following Monday at his office.


                                 MARRIED



Living in a tiny upper east side apartment, Hans and Lisa Schmidt were typical young New Yorkers. Tennis in Central Park, rainy Saturday afternoons at the Metropolitan. Leisurely Sunday breakfasts at the local diner with friends, pages of the NYTimes scattered over the small tables for four.



 ……..” Everything’s changing,” was the first thing he said, walking in the door at home, repeating the bittersweet conversation he’d had that day with the boss.


……..”Hans, we’re satisfied with your progress., we’d like you to consider a promotion. Take over a small sales office in Bogoza, South America. Develop sales for the entire region, we’ll follow up with investments in chemical plants”


Flattered, he would normally have jumped at the offer, but the timing was terrible. Rejecting such an offer was troubling. The office was full of stories, management could be brutal. He’d have to resign.


Midnight still wide awake yet dog tired from worrying, he looked at Lisa fast asleep. Married barely two blissful years, they were having their first child… What a story they’d have to tell little he or she one day.


Meeting at the elevator on the 28th floor of 1 Wall St. New York City. He was a new hire in the junior executive trainee program and she, a new hire for the typing pool. They often laughed that his job was lower in rank than hers.


Friendly and funny, she smiled making a joke about keeping away from the windows. The first time either had worked in a skyscraper. Normally a serious buttoned-up German, he was soon spilling his life story. So much to learn about each other they got off the elevator as if preordained, still talking walked by Scotty’s a nearby sandwich shop. 


………” Shall we,” he said


Packed to the rafters, standing room only, just another couple of busy New Yorkers grabbing lunch. Who could have foretold it was the first step in a lifetime together?


                            EARLY DAYS


After a two-year stint as an engineer for a stuffy tire and sporting goods company, in Munich Germany. Hans made a momentous decision. Like millions of others, he landed in New York, with a temporary working visa determined to fulfill a lifelong dream. 


Ecstatic to be hired by a major oil company with HQ in Oklahoma, he felt liberated and free. 


On a leave of absence from her job as a radio announcer in New Zealand, Lisa liked what she saw of New York. Determined to take a chance on the endless possibilities in the greatest City on earth, she canceled her return ticket and found a modest efficient apartment. Needing to pay the rent, she took a temporary typing position in the same company



Never did two starry-eyed immigrants with nothing but dreams and untried survival skills, need each other.


                              FOREIGN SHORES

With the joy of their newly confirmed first pregnancy, the prospect of hospitals, and living in a third-world country. made the recent job offer untenable, yet Hans liked his job and couldn’t imagine resigning.


Knowing Lisa neither would nor could ever fail him. added to his torment.


……….” Of course, we’ll go, she said, a bit shakily. Haven’t we shouldered and survived together so far? Babies are born everywhere, aren’t they? 


That settled it. Hans accepted the job.


The first thing for both was a Berlitz-intensive course in Spanish. As a bilingual student, Hans easily mastered a third. Lisa struggled a bit, typical for most native English speakers


                               CRISIS


Hans immediately called his superiors in HQ. owners of the ten-year-old Buick. A sought-after vehicle at the time as the Government wouldn’t allow car imports.  


First time in the staid Company’s history, this bizarre occurrence needed the immediate attention of the legal heads. Until a Company man could fly to SA, instructions were to go ahead with the meeting.



The plan was to allow the “agent” to enter the Office building, immediately lock the doors, and call the Police.


Already standing, Hans took stock as the “ agent” was shown into his office.


…….”Buenas Dias, Senor Schmidt” 


Approaching, smiling with an outstretched hand.

Hans ignored the gesture, noting the visitor was about the same age and build. Dressed in a suit, no tie, but wearing indoor/outdoor glasses shading his eyes. 


……..”How dare you come into my office, you are a thief.

I’m calling the police”.


……..”Oh, I wouldn’t do that, he said amiably, they’ll only release me. Besides I am not a thief, I’m a businessman, like you. I represent the people who found your car.”


Hans was rattled by the unmitigated gall. A Teutonic upbringing and ex-rugby player he was itching to punch the weasel.


……..” in my country you would be jailed.”


………”No, in your country I would be a success.”


In the face of blatant nationwide corruption yet mindful he was representing a well-respected American company, Hans felt helpless.



Sounding incredulously like a legitimate business proposal, they settled on the going rate of about 1000 American dollars. Many other victims had called him, the foreign nationals were always supportive of each other, and confirmed this amount.


……..”An agent will be in touch shortly” Weasel announced.


As he left, the decent local employees looked mortified with a Welcome to our World sigh. 



                         FINALE




Hiram Howie 1V, senior lawyer for the Company arrived at the Bogoza Airport as the light was fading. Never having seen him, Hans recognized the towering figure immediately. Loud checked green sports coat, light grey slacks, and white brogue shoes.


. ………”Good evening, Sir, I’m Hans Schmidt”


………..Say, Good to see ya, Heinz, Call me Hi”


Dropping him off at the best hotel in town, and escorting him to the desk, where everything was efficiently handled, Hans proposed dinner. With reluctance, and the late hour plus the effects of being nearly nine thousand feet above sea level, he declined.



…………”No need Heinz. I’ll order room service, Just need to sleep, See y’all tomorrow”


Promptly at 8 am, Hi was waiting, this time wearing a blue suit with brown shoes.



………”.Did you sleep well, Hi,”


……….”.Like a babe, Heinz. Had a bit of a hassle with the banana at breakfast though. Got to have one with Wheaties, the durn thang wouldn’t peel. Then I scooped a spoonful, tasted like crap.”


Oh, no, Hans demurred trying not to break up. He’d mistaken platano for banana. Not the first.


The day went well. Hiram Howie 1V had a razor sharp mind, clearly worthy of the title and position of Chief legal counsel.   


 The agent called as promised. Instructions were to meet at a coffee shop in a shopping mall on the furthest outskirts of the City. The money to be cashed in 100-dollar bills.



After a leisurely South American lunch, usually cooked with wine, plus the altitude, Hi was beginning to droop. Suggesting a rest at his hotel. he agreed. We’d meet at about seven.


Two cars left that evening. Hans drove, another vintage Buick. with Hi, his passenger, carrying the ransom money in a briefcase.


The other car with two armed guards provided by HQ followed.


Locating the coffee shop, two men came out right on cue. One was a heavy-set short fellow and the other was taller younger and smartly dressed. Hans got out to meet them


………… “the money?”……growled shortstop. “ 


Motioning to Hi, he approached and handed Hans the brief case.


…………” Follow me,” said the taller one quite politely.


Walking towards a dark alley behind the coffee shop, there was the car, lights on, engine running.



With a bit of bravado knowing somewhere was either the FBI or CIA, Hans asked to inspect the car before handing over the money.


Radio missing also hub caps he declared with a sinking feeling but showing apparent confidence. Peeling off two bills, and handing over 800 dollars, to cover the replacements be said firmly.  


Grabbing the money tall guy strode off angrily. Hans calmly got in and drove to the front of the coffee shop. Hi, already in the driver’s seat, gave a thumbs up.


 End of a long long day.

November 29, 2022 18:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Graham Kinross
08:50 Dec 23, 2022

This reminds me of something that happened to my uncle in Azerbaijan. His car was impounded by the police. He had to pay a ‘fine’ to get it back. Oddly the fines mostly got handed out to foreigners. My uncle was lucky that the man who was his guide was related to the ex chief of police. The rules work very differently in different places. Living in places where that’s unheard of is lucky.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
12:44 Dec 23, 2022

Mankind hasn’t progressed Graham . Money talks May I be the first to wish you a “happy Hogmanay”.

Reply

Graham Kinross
15:15 Dec 23, 2022

We haven’t progressed but we find ever more intricate ways of proving it. Merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay to you as well.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
16:00 Dec 23, 2022

Don’t want to labor this topic too much. Graham. A family friend tells the tale of being stopped driving by the police in Bolivia. The reason was negligable. There’ll be a fine . Asking how much the fine would be the cop answered about 20 dollars. Oh can I just pay you? No problemat senor. Is there a story here? Do you think

Reply

Graham Kinross
19:42 Dec 23, 2022

Potentially, depends what happens next? What did happen next?

Reply

Mary Lehnert
19:53 Dec 23, 2022

Oh he just gave the cop twenty dollars and was allowed to drive on. Until the next innocent abroad fell into the trap. I think I meant is there a story on the degree of corruption . It might mean divulging too much info that would get everyone in hot water. Then again. Maybe even movie potential. Want to give it a go?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
22:22 Dec 23, 2022

Indeed. Right on, Sir. Gone are the good old days when a couple of guys went behind the pub and fought it out.

Reply

Graham Kinross
22:38 Dec 23, 2022

I think even then too often one guy discovered his opponent brought friends and ended up in hospital. His book could just have been banned, people could have complained. I like the quote ‘violence is the last resort of the incompetent’. In some cases it’s also their first resort as well.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
22:44 Dec 23, 2022

You are right, of course. That quote could be the opening statement of a great book. Don’t get me into a philosophical discussion, you are too good. I’ve been reading you,

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:09 Dec 24, 2022

Philosophical discussions are the best though, maybe you could write that book?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Lehnert
15:49 Dec 24, 2022

Wee sleek it cowrin timeous beastie……. If spell check will allow. Can’t top that guy. Not even you. Books are being written by the best. Here’s to a guid new year to all who persevere Did you see my latest. Schweissfuss

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Edward Latham
20:54 Dec 07, 2022

Love the format of this story Mary! It made it catchy and fun to read. Pleased that things turned out well for Hans in the end

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:57 Dec 06, 2022

Loved this. It was quite cosmopolitan. I enjoyed the realism of it, having traveled a bit, this is true to form. Loved your use of language. Exquisitely written.

Reply

Mary Lehnert
23:14 Dec 06, 2022

Thank you for the great comment, Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
17:30 Dec 04, 2022

Such a small event as buying something turned into a very tense experience! I like the contrast in how everyone approach this. It was clearly super stressful for Hans - and naturally so, as it's bad enough when something goes wrong in a foreign country, but it's immeasurably worse when wrong is done to you - but for the other guys, this was business as usual. For them, it was a regular transaction, but they don't see their mark the same way we do - a person with a history, a family, and so on. That might not have swayed them anyway. On the...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
19:05 Dec 04, 2022

Your insightful comments are valid, Michal. Always sobering to view things through the lens of hindsight. Thankyou and know your comments are very much appreciated. Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
18:46 Dec 03, 2022

I can think of nothing more stressful than when things go awry in a foreign country, where you don't speak the language, don't know the "rules," and don't know who to trust. I enjoyed this whirlwind tale, the romance woven into it, and the structural creativity in breaking up the timeline! Your thoughts and visuals come through clearly, though I think your writing would benefit from just a *bit* more punctuation! I know some of us can go overboard with commas, em dashes, and semicolons, (raising my own hand) but when punctuation is more on t...

Reply

Mary Lehnert
18:54 Dec 03, 2022

Never irksome Aeris. Point well taken about punctuation. The basic story is factual . Just one of the many adventures of life in a foreign country. I had to change the names to protect myself. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
15:23 Dec 03, 2022

Clap'n

Reply

Show 0 replies
Delbert Griffith
13:39 Dec 02, 2022

Cool story. The carnapping was a nice background for the relationship history of Hans and Lisa. This was a nicely-written immigrant story. Old world vs. New world. Splendid.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelly Sibley
10:41 Dec 01, 2022

Ooh, that was good!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
17:37 Dec 01, 2022

And so are you, Kelly for taking the time to read and comment. Mary

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
06:00 Nov 30, 2022

This certainly wasn't adventure! You have a unique way of story telling, and I really appreciated how you broke this story up into parts, almost like chapters. It built up the suspense really nicely!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
06:16 Nov 30, 2022

It’s always such a pleasant surprise and compliment to have someone read my work. I feel like a little dog having its ears scratched. Thankyou so very much. Anne.

Reply

AnneMarie Miles
06:28 Nov 30, 2022

Whoops, I meant to say "was an adventure" not "wasn't adventure." in my first comment. Dang autocorrect! I know the feeling, Mary. We pour our hearts and souls and minds into these things and it feels so rewarding that someone takes time to read it. That's why Reedsy is so addicting! Keep writing, there's plenty of us here who want to read it!

Reply

Mary Lehnert
06:40 Nov 30, 2022

Again, Anne, You are a delight.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.