51 comments

Contemporary Fiction Funny

Everything has been set up perfectly. I double-checked the ropes and rigs a few minutes back and am currently squished in a bathroom stall with Serena, my only friend in this godforsaken company.


I still do fancy her a bit but telling her would probably gain me a slap on the face and a piece of heel lodged up my butt. So, I think it would be safer for me if I just kept my blabbering mouth shut.


Today is the best day of the year, April Fools. The day when people damage each other physically and emotionally and get a laugh out of it. It is great fun.


This year’s target is our sweet boss Roy. The pot-bellied blue-shirted devil who controls our work lives with pleasure. It is time he loosened up a bit and had a thrilling day. By being the brunt of our prank, he would not only satisfy all the people squished in the other bathroom stalls, but it would be a learning experience for him to take a joke the right way and not make us unhappy ever again.


I check the time. Only a few minutes till eleven forty-five am. That is when his biological alarm for nature’s call goes off every day. It is quite a remarkable thing, but we do not question it. Instead, we are grateful for it, otherwise, we would be stuck in here forever. When everyone got up to go to the bathroom a few minutes ago, the poor fool didn’t even notice. He was too busy with whatever he gets up to in his own little cabin.


I glance over at Serena, her mascara smudged around her eyes and her face layered in sweat. She still looks like the goddess she is. I look away before she catches me staring and kills me on the spot.


“Is it time yet?” she asks, her voice a mere whisper. I glance at my watch again and nod at her. Her expression changes to one of anticipation.


The door opens, and we hear the splash, followed by the shrillest scream I have ever heard. It is high enough to break glasses at the opera house and loud enough to impair our hearing for the rest of our lives. I bite my lip to stop the laugh that bubbles up in my chest.


The red paint that we had strategically placed on top of the door with a rope attaching it to the door handle had audibly fallen on Roy perfectly. If I knew him correctly, he would soon go over to the washbasin and try to wash the paint off. And that is when he would see it.


Another loud shriek. I had been the one who had suggested writing ‘ROY’ on the mirror using the red paint, and I had done it too. I look at my stained fingertips and smile at Serena.


Now for the grand finale.


At exactly eleven fifty-two am, all our alarms go off. This time, I mean an actual mobile phone alarm. I had asked all my colleagues to set an alarm for this time with a woman screaming as the ringtone.


As the women sing with all their hearts, the cacophony swells around us, and soon we can hear Roy harmonizing with the other women, his voice clearly sounding more threatened and afraid than his fellow singers.


When it becomes eleven fifty-three, the screaming stops and the silence that follows is even more bone-chilling than the sounds still ringing in my ears.


Our stall’s door is pulled open, and only by holding on to each other did we manage to keep our bodies from falling on the floor. We are faced by a literal red Roy. I make a mental note to initiate calling him ‘Red Roy’ from now onwards. He soon opens every other door, and some of them attempt a weak explanation on our prank, but he doesn’t want to hear a word of it.


We are pushed out and asked to wait outside his cabin in a line, as he calls each person inside. My knees start wobbling the moment the third person is called. Everyone gets out of the cabin with the same expression on their faces: eyes downcast and slouching. No one was willing to share what had transpired between them and Roy, and all the people who came out picked up their bags and left.


Soon Serena also comes out with the same expression and looks pointedly at me with moist eyes, passing by me and overwhelming me with her perfume.


It is finally my turn.


I wipe my sweaty palms on my pants and push down the door handle, entering the room. The air conditioning washes over me but has no effect in calming me.


Roy sits there, red from head to toe, except for his hands, which had clearly been washed clean. He gestures for me to sit in the chair opposite his.


“What is the meaning of this?” he yells, pointing towards his paint-covered body.


“It’s a prank, sir,” I say.


When he just tilts his head and looks at me like I’m speaking another language, I pull out my phone to look up the word.


“A prank is a…a practical joke or mischievous act,” I read out from Google, and I swear that I can see puffs of smoke escape from his ears.


“Don’t try to act too smart, George,” he says, and I purse my lips together.


“Do you realize the magnitude of what you have done? Huh?” he asks, and I shake my head, oblivious.


“It was just a joke, sir. I thought you could take it,” I say, and he shakes his head sadly.


“You have made a big mistake, and everyone has to bear the consequence.”


“What do you mean?”


“You’re fired, George. As is everyone else,” he says, and my heart drops.


“Fired?” I whisper, and he takes out his phone.


“To fire means to dismiss an employee from a job,” he says.


“I can take a joke, don’t worry,” he justifies, but I can only faintly hear it over the roaring in my ears.


Everyone has been fired.


Because of me.


If they don’t hate me already, they’ll hate me now.


“Out. Take your stuff with you, and don’t come back again,” Roy says, and I nod, getting up.


I walk out of the cabin and sling my bag on my shoulder. My chest hurts. How will I tell my family, my friends? I thought I was immune to being fired. Guess I was completely wrong.


I open the door of the office.


“Happy April Fools’ Day!” they yell, and I jump, my hand immediately on my chest as I try to calm my heart.


All my colleagues are standing there, carrying their bags and having the widest grins on their faces. Serena walks towards me and leans closer.


“You have been pranked,” she whispers into my ear.


Everyone cheers and starts laughing and discussing how startled I looked when they surprised me, and how I had perfectly fallen for their whole charade. At one point, even Roy’s arm is on my shoulder as he says that I was close to tearing up when he had fired me.


My cheeks heat up and they don’t cool down until I leave after work.


Maybe it isn’t the best day of the year after all.

March 31, 2021 03:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

Jay DMer
18:11 Mar 31, 2021

I would really appreciate feedback (since you're the best at it) for my new story called "CHECK". I don't know if CHECK is a good title for it, but whatever advice you have, please give:) Thank you!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:18 Apr 01, 2021

That's so kind of you to say. I'll be sure to check it out when I get the time, and leave the most detailed feedback ever possible, just for you 😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Veda Vivek💎
21:28 Mar 31, 2021

the twist at the end was hilarious! I love the red paint... great job!! 👍😀 Also, when the boss pulled out his phone to define the word "fire", that really got me 😂😂

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:17 Apr 01, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Veda Vivek💎
15:00 Apr 01, 2021

My pleasure :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shea West
16:56 Mar 31, 2021

When he pulled out his phone to define the work prank 😂😂😂😂

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:04 Mar 31, 2021

😂😂😂 I loved writing that

Reply

Shea West
18:29 Mar 31, 2021

Listen, I'm all for a good dose of snark.....It's my favorite!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:17 Apr 01, 2021

Mine too XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
09:14 Mar 31, 2021

This is so cute and hilarious. Loved how you worked upon a new genre. Liked the plot and the ending was cherry on top. Loved your new writing style. Go girlllllllllllllllllllllll.

Reply

Writer Maniac
11:14 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you so much Radhika, I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Anuja Dhoot
11:48 Apr 09, 2021

I think you really got me in the end as I thought that Roy would have pranked everyone that they had been fired. Despite knowing what would happen, I think you did a good job with keeping the reader well-engaged.

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:05 Apr 09, 2021

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I would love feedback on 'Forget-Me-Not' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kanika G
16:45 Apr 06, 2021

Hey, I really enjoyed reading this fun story. The twist at the end was good. The writing was great (I enjoyed the same bits that others have pointed out in the comments). Well done! If you could leave your feedback on my story 'The World's Greatest Prankster', that would be great. Thanks! :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:04 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you so much! I'll be sure to read your story soon, I'm in the middle of exams right now but I'll do it as soon as possible :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eva Bhalla
12:39 Apr 06, 2021

This amazing! The detail of facial expressions and wording,wow! It was interesting and at the end well-the prankster became the pranked! Sorry for the break, just was pretty busy.

Reply

Writer Maniac
12:45 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed reading it! I would love to hear your thoughts on 'Forget-Me-Not', a lot of people really seemed to like it, so I would love to know what you think :) Also, no need to apologise for being busy!

Reply

Eva Bhalla
12:53 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you and yes I will check it out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Palak Shah
10:22 Mar 31, 2021

Great story. I love the way that you have written this and the plot was amazing. Could you please read my latest story. Thanks :))

Reply

Writer Maniac
11:16 Mar 31, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! I'm not sure if I can, but I'll try to :)

Reply

Palak Shah
14:56 Mar 31, 2021

That's fine !!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Unknown User
22:15 Apr 13, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:14 Apr 14, 2021

😂I had a lot of fun writing it! Thanks for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Riya 🌺
04:34 Apr 09, 2021

This made me laugh so hard. I literally felt so bad for George. That twist was great! :)

Reply

Writer Maniac
04:57 Apr 09, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I would love some feedback on 'Forget-Me-Not' :)

Reply

Riya 🌺
16:31 Apr 09, 2021

I can't wait to read it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
21:26 Apr 06, 2021

Great job! A prank within a prank!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:22 Apr 07, 2021

Thank you! I would love your feedback on 'Forget-Me-Not' :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
15:22 Apr 06, 2021

Hey i wrote it just for fun, hope you enjoy.

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:51 Apr 06, 2021

Okay will check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sudha Arien
13:33 Apr 06, 2021

Ha ha ha. Loved this. Prankster getting pranked himself by his victim in return was funny

Reply

Writer Maniac
15:11 Apr 06, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:07 Apr 03, 2021

Congrats on 60 submissions!!! Honestly, you should put in the "funny" tag. This story made me smile and laugh. Glad you've written something cheery! The prank was so nicely thought out, and at the end, when George got pranked, that was such a nice twist that I honestly didn't see coming! George and Roy pulling out their phones to define the words "prank" and "fired" respectively is probably my favorite part. My only critique is the same as Phoenix Hawkin's :) Loved this story! Great job!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:24 Apr 04, 2021

Thank you so much, I'm glad you liked it! I'll be sure to put the 'funny' tag, I did think about it, but I decided against it in the end. I did fix the tenses as much as I could, so lemme check again to see whether I missed some. Thanks for reading!

Reply

13:25 Apr 04, 2021

Np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
22:14 Apr 02, 2021

Hiiiiiiiiiii

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:31 Apr 03, 2021

Helloooo Aerin, how have you been??!!

Reply

13:57 Apr 03, 2021

GoOoOd! Currently super carsick but whatever. Thanks! Wbu?

Reply

Writer Maniac
14:37 Apr 03, 2021

Maybe chewing on some gum will help, if you can find some, that is. I'm doing good, having some tests right now, so I'm breaking my head because of that, but other than that, it's all cool. Have a fun journey!

Reply

17:28 Apr 03, 2021

Ooh thx! Nice! Eeep, good luck on themmm Tyy

Reply

Writer Maniac
17:39 Apr 03, 2021

No problem, thanks :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ed .
21:27 Apr 28, 2021

You are such a good writer! As soon as I heard that the main character had been fired I am like This is an April fools joke

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:16 Apr 29, 2021

Thank you for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nirosha P
00:48 May 20, 2021

I LOVE how this backfires on the narrator lol

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:08 May 20, 2021

Yeah 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Soham Bhatta
00:15 May 16, 2021

I cleverly put all of the possible endings in my brain before reading the ending. The nice twist though.

Reply

Writer Maniac
01:48 May 16, 2021

Thank you so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arwen Dove
02:26 Apr 29, 2021

Wow!

Reply

Writer Maniac
02:37 Apr 29, 2021

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoenix Osborne
22:15 Dec 13, 2021

I love it!! And the boss pulled a major prank. "You're fired," then, "HAPPY APRIL FOOLS' DAY!!"😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.