67 comments

Thriller Drama African American

Author's note: It would definitely be more convenient to write this as a book, but this is a website, not a book, so, yeah. There will be a second part to this, but it won't fit the word count. I put it in Google Forms, if that would make it easier. This is the link: https://forms.gle/ZjraApvoGaEYUpoe7. I hope this makes sense-I've never done anything like this before. Hope you enjoy, happy reading! 😉





You wake quickly, sitting up fast and gasping for air. Your long, auburn hair is draped over your shoulder and you toss it back with a flick of your hand. Beads of sweat just begin to dot your forehead when from the apartment next to you, you hear a loud thump. 

It shakes your walls, and the vibration reaches your bed in seconds. You think that you should go and check on your neighbor, but as you glance at the LED alarm clock stationed on your bedside table, you realize that it’s only 3:30 in the morning.


If you choose to knock on your neighbor's door, go to paragraph A. 

if you choose to ignore the sound and go back to bed, go to paragraph B.



A. You decide that something must be wrong, and if they drop something, they might need help. Fitting your feet into your pink fuzzy slippers, you shuffle to the door and pull it open sleepily, your eyelids heavy. The flickering hallway lights of your run-down apartment building greet you, but your eyes are half-open, so you don't notice. Instead, you take the few steps needed to reach room 345, the one just to the left of yours, 344. 

To your surprise, you find the door slightly ajar with a thick package wedged into the crack. It really is none of your business, but you're already here, and this early, it's highly unlikely that the mailman just stopped by. You're quite curious about what was in the parcel, but if someone catches you, you could be charged for trespassing. Besides, you could always ask the other neighbors about it when they wake up.


If you head back to your room, go to paragraph B. 

If you open the package, go to paragraph C.



B. You shake your head and glare at the wall between you and room 345. It's a wonder that some people simply don't understand the meaning of peace and quiet. Getting back in bed and throwing the covers back over your head, you sink into your memory foam bed and let yourself drift back to sleep. Almost. Two sharp knocks on your door knock snap you out of whatever dream you were falling into and your eyes fly open. Who could that be? 

You swing your legs over the edge of the bed and stumble around in the dark for your slippers, which you seem to have misplaced. Finally, you find them and open the door to reveal your next-door neighbor with a large saw in his hand. “If it's not too much trouble,” he says, “it would be wonderful if you could come by and help me steady my ladder. One of the feet is a bit wobbly, and my bathroom light bulb is out.”

Looking him up and down, you notice a small stain on the hem of his wrinkled t-shirt that resembles ketchup, but by the looks of it, could very easily be something else. You're not sure what to do.


If you ask him what the stain is, go to paragraph D. 

If you say no and leave him to himself, go to paragraph E. 

If you help him and don't ask anything, go to paragraph F.



C. Looking around to make sure no one's watching, you slide your foot into the crack to keep the door open and pull out the package. It's in red and white Air Mail packing with a bubble-wrapped interior, which makes you wonder why it was stuffed in the doorway. Slowly, you tear away the adhesive seal and peer inside, gasping at your findings. 

Money. Hundred dollar bills stacked in piles and rubber-banded together stand neatly in the bottom of the bag. At your estimate, it couldn't be less than two grand, but the pieces in your head don't fit together. Nobody would leave this kind of money just in the crack of their door – it's nearly begging to be stolen.

Something is wrong. You're about to drop the bag when suddenly the elevator behind you opens and your neighbor from room 345 steps out, a pistol in his hand.

“What are you doing?” He says, his eyes flickering from your horrified face to the package in your trembling hand. His finger finds the trigger and he begins to walk faster. You stumble backward, and that's when it catches your eye. The door to your room is still open, and while it would entail you move towards him, it would provide shelter for the time being.

But further down the hall in the opposite direction is a stairwell that hasn't been used in ages. You're certain it's unlocked and the stairs are in good condition, plus it leads outside. You're bound to find somewhere to hide.


If you make a break for your room go to paragraph G.

If you turn around and run to the stairs, go to paragraph H.




D. Something about the stain doesn't feel right, and you fiddle with your fingers as you debate what to say. "Had a little fast food?" you tease, motioning towards the red blotch on his shirt. He nods and offers a small smile, but it doesn't quite meet his eyes. A bit suspicious, you clumsily stumble back and begin to close your door when he steps forward, sticking his foot out to stop it. 

"Is anything the matter?" he whispers, the low growl adding an edge to his voice. You panic and push harder, but the door doesn't budge, and neither does his foot. He grabs you by your wrist and you open your mouth to scream, but before you do, a gust of wind tussles your hair. You turn around to see where it came from and realize that your window has been wide open since yesterday afternoon. It's the only means of escape that you can find after a glance around the apartment.


Go to paragraph I.



E. "I'm sorry," you say, tucking a loose strand of hair behind your ear. "It's a bit early, you know. I wish I could, but you know how these things go. " His eyes go dark and his grip on the saw tightens." Is it too much to ask a neighbor for a little help? It’s just a small favor. Not much." With every word, his voice gets louder until it’s just below a yell, and it becomes clear that if you don't go with him, he will use the saw against you. You tear your eyes away from him to look around the room, but there's nothing to defend yourself with that's a match for the weapon in his hand.


Go to paragraph F.



F. Reluctantly, you sigh and pull the door open to let yourself out. A faint "Thank you" is muttered under his breath as he leads you into his room, stopping by the door to pick something up and tuck it under his arm. Turning back to smile at you, he holds the door open, allowing you to step in. You take a few steps forward and turn around only in time to see the door shut your neighbor walking away. 

"What's happening?" you whisper to the darkness around you. This apartment seems to be different from yours, as the light switches aren't in the same places. You fumble around, tripping over furniture and losing a slipper as you touch your fingers to the wall and search for the light switch. In the corner of the room, you finally find one, but as you flick it, nothing happens. 

Remaining in darkness, you try your luck at finding your way back to the door you came through. You retrace your steps the best you can, but still, end up on another side of the room. Exasperated and frightened, you rest your back against the wall and slide to the ground. 

After a few minutes, you hear a small voice sniffling from behind you. Jumping up from your seat on the floor, you stretch your hand out into the void of blackness in front of you and strike something hard. 

A handle. You jiggle it, but, as you suspected, it's locked. You kneel and put your mouth up to the crack at the bottom of the door to make sure whoever is inside can hear you. "I'm coming, okay? Just hang in there." You feel around not too far from the door until your fingers wrap around something resembling a metal pole. Lifting it above your head and slamming it down hard, you whack the handle about 10 times before you hear a snap and the handle falls to the ground by your foot. 

Carefully, you push the door open and in the center of the room is the silhouette of a young girl. The light switch is just where you expected it to be, and when you flick it the lights come on. She's small – couldn't be much older than 10 - and her hair is wild but the same color as yours, which makes you smile. You have never seen her before, yet feel a strange sort of connection to her.


Go to paragraph J.


G. You’re near scared to death, but somehow you manage to move your feet and bolt for your room, throwing the door open and slamming it behind you. His footsteps echo through the hallway behind you, and your heart rate quickens as they get closer. Tiptoeing out of your room and into the kitchen, you draw a knife out from its stand and grip it tightly in your fist. 

Abruptly, the footsteps stop outside your door and you freeze, the knife in your hand. All you hear is a click and a jiggle before the door swings wide open and he stands just a few feet in front of you. Now there's nowhere to run, and all you have is a kitchen knife and your two fists. He lines up the already loaded pistol with your forehead and steadies it with his other hand. Fighting doesn't come naturally to you, but you put one foot in front of the other and charge anyway…

To be continued... 


H. You can't risk it. If you get too close, he could line up a shot and you'd be a goner. Instead, you turn and run for the abandoned stairwell, throwing a creaky door open and stumbling down the steps. They're in surprisingly good condition for old stairs, you think, but your thoughts are interrupted when the door opens behind you and your neighbor barges in.

You're only halfway down the first flight and he's not slowing down, so you pick up the pace, dropping 2 stairs at a time. Soon enough, you reach the end of your level and look between the remaining two floors worth of stairs and the door leading to the second level of rooms. It wasn't the original plan, but if you exit the stable now, you might be able to shake him, although you never took the time to explore the other floors since you moved in about 2 or 3 weeks ago and you're not sure of what may lie ahead. Then again, even if you take the rest of the stairs down and get outside, you left your car keys on your dresser, and slippers in pajamas, you'll barely be out the door before he catches up. You'll have to choose quickly, he's coming up behind you…

To be continued…


I. Without a second thought, you bend over slightly and sink your teeth into his hand, the blood leaving a sour taste in your mouth. He cries out in pain and jerks his hand back. No one has to tell you to hurry.

You use the opportunity to punch through the netting and lower yourself feetfirst onto the edge of your roof. Since you live on the 3rd floor, the height and your perfectly imbalanced weight nearly make you topple over the edge, but you grip the bricks behind you as best you can and try your hardest not to look down. 

Down on the streets below, people scream in excitement and pull out their phones to record. Your neighbor pokes his head out the window, and after carefully surveying the surroundings and the people on the ground, he stretches out his hand to you, offering you a chance to come back inside.

It too easily could be a trap. He was in your room for much longer after you stepped out on the ledge, and he could have done something inside. But the other option isn’t very attractive either. 

You brace yourself and take a quick glance down at the spectators. If you jump, you could hoe for one of them to catch you, but if you jump tp far out or they don’t act in time, you’d be in more than one piece when you hit the ground. 

The wind blows at your back and you teeter on the edge, just another reminder that you’ve never done anything like this before, and the odds are stacked against you. Looking between the street and the man, you make your choice…

To be continued…



J. “Who are you?” you ask her, your voice barely above a whisper. She pulls her knees to her chest and hugs them tight, tears stinging her eyes. 

“My-my name is Madeline." She wipes her eyes and stands up, a bit wobbly on her feet. “Are you with him?” She says it with such disgust that you pity her.

“No,” you say, coming closer and stretching out your arms to hold her. “I’m from next door. He trapped me in here.”

“Oh.” 

A moment of silence, then you pipe up again. “Do you know his name? We never met.”

She stares at you for a moment, then turns her gaze to the ground and answers. “His name is Jack. Jack Anderson. I don’t know much about him either.”

You would call the police, but your phone is in your apartment. You sigh and look at your single fuzzy slipper, wondering how long she’s been here and how long you will be. Looking into her eyes, you pull her close. “It’s ok, Madeline. We’ll be fine.”

To be continued…


August 15, 2020 02:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

Hi Phebe, Amazing, I've never seen anything like this on Reedsy so great work!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
22:52 Nov 23, 2020

Thank you so much, Varsha!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
21:10 Nov 19, 2020

I used to love these types of books when I was a kid. It was always fun to read through again and pick different courses of action just to see what they resulted in. I'm glad to see someone go this route with their submissions. Excellent "outside-the-box" approach here.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:51 Nov 19, 2020

I used to love these books too! Especially the Club Penguin ones. I'm glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
San T.
12:16 Oct 29, 2020

That's amazing!! I haven't read anything like this before. And trust me, I am so happy and relieved that am reading it this week with your next chapter in hand, otherwise I would have died of suspense. Going straight to your part 2 now. Amazing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
05:55 Sep 09, 2020

Woahhhhhhhhhh so gripppinggggg

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
15:12 Sep 09, 2020

Thank you, Sia!

Reply

Sia S
15:20 Sep 09, 2020

Anytime!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna Mosqueda
00:57 Aug 17, 2020

Woah! This was so cool! There was constantly action going on that made me bounce my leg until the very end! All of the paths were like this and it was so engrossing! Can't wait to see what happens next!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:50 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you, and I hope next week's is as good as this one!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
09:41 Aug 16, 2020

I ADORE this, wow, I am beyond impressed by this! 😮 It was so, so gripping no matter which story path I chose and you managed to make every decision the character makes feel logical. Also the use of second person was only fitting for this type of story. You might wanna check the google forms link though, I think some of the options don’t lead to the right story route 😅 But this was amazing anyway, good job 👍🏽

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
03:22 Aug 17, 2020

Yes, I think you're right. I fixed it and also fixed some errors. I submitted just minutes before the close, so it was a bit etchy-sketchy. Still, glad you liked it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
10:13 Aug 15, 2020

It's an amazing story P.S read my both story what is a Second Chance The Secret Mission Meeting

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
19:21 Aug 15, 2020

I will try!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cookie Carla🍪
17:54 Dec 11, 2020

O. My. GOD. I did your Google form and I totally love that idea!! Can you tell me how in the world you made that possible?!?!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
18:23 Dec 11, 2020

I'm glad you liked it! I just put the story portion of it in the "Question" box and then had options like you would on a normal google form quiz. Then I found this thing that sends you to a different section if you choose a certain answer. So I made each portion of the story its own section and had the options link to the right section. You dig?

Reply

Cookie Carla🍪
13:51 Dec 14, 2020

Gotcha!!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:16 Dec 14, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:25 Sep 20, 2020

OMG I can't believe I'm only getting to this now! I did it on the google form, which was a brilliant idea by the way! Choose your own adventure is so entertaining when it's done well, and this one was done extremely well! I'm going to do the next one!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
22:48 Sep 21, 2020

Aww, thanks Imaan! Just wondering, what's your next story idea? I check your page every day to see, but there's nothing new. :(

Reply

23:29 Sep 21, 2020

Aww! Well, like you, I have school as well, and it’s getting pretty stressful since the workload is really heavy! I’m in my junior year of high school so 😬 it’s a lot to manage! But hopefully once I get it all under control, I’ll get back to writing again! Thanks a lot for checking my page every day though, that means a lot! 💕

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
00:05 Sep 22, 2020

Don't mind me, I'm just looking for a great story wherever I can get one. I'm 8th grade, so it's probably not as much homework as you, but still a lot. Well, I'll keep looking! 😣😇

Reply

04:09 Sep 22, 2020

Oh wow, 8th grade! I wish I was still there, make the most of it because it’ll fly by and in my opinion middle school is better than high school 😂 ! Haha thanks, and good luck!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
18:52 Sep 22, 2020

I will! Good luck to you with 11th grade, I can't wait to get there! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
01:06 Sep 18, 2020

I love the descriptions and detail

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
05:00 Sep 20, 2020

Thank you, Eleny! :)

Reply

. .
05:18 Sep 20, 2020

Np

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lee
01:21 Aug 28, 2020

I read them backwards but I still enjoyed both of them. What a delightful little writer you are - and you have so much more in you, i am sure - could this be a screenplay ? Either way - it was lovely. (I would go back on both though and read them again and look for punctuation and some grammar. But bravo. If you could read any of mine, and comment I would appreciate it!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:31 Aug 28, 2020

It was a bit of a rushed story, but thank you for reading it anyway! If I have time today, I will check yours out!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:43 Aug 27, 2020

I loved CYOA stories as a kid. There totally needs to be an adult version!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:57 Aug 28, 2020

So did I! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
02:35 Aug 24, 2020

Wow, a personal quest story. Haven't seen one of those in years. It's not bad at all. I know that at least one company still makes these, but I don't have a link. You could google them, then send a note and see if they want you to write for them. It's as good as any I recall seeing before.

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
03:40 Aug 24, 2020

Thank you, Charles. I'm actually really glad you like it. Do you have an idea of what their name is? Also, how did your book deal go?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
22:14 Aug 21, 2020

Loved this! Such a unique format! I was hooked till the end!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
23:13 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Reply

Doubra Akika
23:22 Aug 21, 2020

I did! It was amazing!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
23:32 Aug 21, 2020

😉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Miss Tee
10:51 Aug 21, 2020

I totally loved this,this was a refreshing read

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:57 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
05:08 Aug 21, 2020

An excellent experimental piece. You've done a great job with it 👏

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
06:18 Aug 21, 2020

Thank you very much!

Reply

D. Jaymz
06:27 Aug 21, 2020

You're welcome 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K A
00:55 Aug 20, 2020

This was such a unique take! I love how there were different choices for us to explore, not to mention the effort that you must have put in to make this work. I was really hooked, great job!

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
02:55 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:38 Aug 19, 2020

Do you know what I like about this? The fact that I can choose B and see where it could lead. The second person writing for this story was nice. Now here's this: While the story was mind gripping, there were some gaps in it. Like there were parts when I could not understand how she got where she was. She was in a dark room, she heard someone sniffing behind her. Was there someone else in the darkness? If there had been, I suggest stating it as you go. The writing technique was good. Excellent in fact. But the prompt is mostly about a skil...

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:59 Aug 19, 2020

Wow. Thank you for commenting. I really respect you as a writer, and to be honest, envy you. Sometimes I sit back and wonder where I was when talent of any sort was given out. Clearly, you were in line. I did finish this in about 2 or three days since I'm a horrible procrastinator and I never do things on time. Still, I will try to work on the second part of it (which I haven't exactly started yet either 😇) and make it better. Thanks again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
19:56 Aug 17, 2020

Wow, Phebe! Congrats to you for trying something new .... and doing it so well. What a unique format - I was totally into it. I'm going to head over to that Google link now. This is fantastic! (Hope you do more of these!)

Reply

Phebe Emmanuel
21:47 Aug 17, 2020

Thank you, Kristin! I'm glad you loved this and I am continuing it this week. I think I can make the prompts work, so expect more!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Derrick Kakooza
07:22 Aug 16, 2020

Amazing Phebe... I can't wait for next week!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.