Changing the Past

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write about someone who’s been sent to boarding school.... view prompt

37 comments

Friendship Sad

I could barely see through my tears as I stumbled aboard the train, holding my brother Mikey's cold hand in mine. I didn't dare look back, because I knew if I did I would break down into tears, and I couldn't do that. I had to stay strong for Mikey's sake, I couldn't let him know I was scared, he was just a 6 year old, he was too young for this. We took our seats at the back of the train, the place where the third class sits. The fancy rich people were up front, enjoying luxury seating and dishes of caviar and truffles that are so large they would have fed my entire family. Back here was actually separated from the first class area, as if people who didn't have boutique clothing and gelled hair had some sort of infamous disease, one that could be caught just by looking at us. In some ways I was glad of the separation, it prevented the snarky comments or disgusted looks that I learned to despise. In other ways, however, It made me feel like i didn't belong, like I was looked down on by others.

Mikey had fallen asleep, but I couldn't. Cradling his head in my arms, I gazed out the window as the sun set low in the sky, casting an array of pinks and oranges throughout the blue canvas of endless space. Thinking back to the morning, I could barely comprehend what had happened, how my life had been flipped around like the pancakes Ma used to make, when she was still alive, when the days were still bright.

New York City, Four Years Ago

I sat at the table, my mouth watering as I smelled the familiar, sweet scent of batter wafting in from the kitchen. Mikey, my two year old brother sat in his high chair, playing some sort of battleship game with his spoon. My phone buzzed, It was Kaitlyn calling again. I ignored her, she's been calling nonstop all day. Best friends can be super annoying, am I right? "Mi, ma moo min muck mic", I turned my attention back to Mikey, who was trying to have a conversation with me in baby language. I nodded, pretending like I understood and was in full agreement. I tousled his hair, and he shrieked with laughter. I smiled, Mikey had a language deficiency that caused him to not be able to communicate properly, but I don't think he noticed. Most two year-olds would be saying one syllable words like "cat" and "Ma", but Mikey's range of vocabulary reached only to "blah", whatever that means. It was okay, though, At that moment, Pa came in, followed by Ma carrying the syrup-drizzled pancakes. The sun was shining in the window, and as my parents sat down, I thought about how lucky I was to be here, a big house in New York City, on a beautiful block with a loving family.

The Present Day

Those days were gone. When Ma died in the car accident, we lost everything. She ran the house, there was no doubt about that, she was the one who worked and participated in the PTA, she was the one who was in charge on insurance and taxes and bank accounts. Pa was the one who stayed home and read the daily news, which is why when Ma died our whole lives pretty much collapsed. Now everything, and I mean everything, fell upon Pa to do. He had to find a job, file all sorts of bills and taxes, all that on top of the emotional pain and the funeral. We moved out of the nice house and into a small apartment which was far away from my old neighborhood. I couldn't use my phone anymore, which I know sounds selfish but it meant that I couldn't contact any friends. We hung on for a year or so, but then Pa lost his unstable job, and everything went downhill from there, like if you accidentally send a ball rolling down a hill, and no matter what you do you can't catch up to it.

Mikey stirred in his sleep, his curly dark hair a tangled mess on my lap. I wondered what was going to happen to him when we got to the school. We would be together at nights, but there were two different buildings, one for boys and one for girls in the same boarding school. I would be going to the girls one, while Mikey would be going to the boys one. Mikey found it very hard to make friends; in these circumstances he will probably be lonely for quite a while.

I must have gone to sleep, because when I woke up it was early morning, that soft time when the sun is just about to rise, when the birds are singing their early morning songs and the grass is still wet with dew. Glancing out of the window, I noticed the change of scenery, the rural area was transitioning into a city, meaning we were nearly there. I roused Mikey, knowing that he would happily sleep through the whole ride, and miss our stop. I gently shook him, and I was rewarded by a demonic look and a cry of resistance. Great, the morning's starting off well, isn't it?

When we got off the train, the first thing that hit me was the number of people. This was a boarding school; how were there so many students? There were more than my public school had! Pa scraped up almost all our money to get us into this school, had all these other kids done the same? Were they all looking for a better future, just like we were?

Mikey and I were led into a small room, a room that smelled like crayons and cardboard. It was about the size of a modern bedroom, and that included our bathroom, bedroom, living area, and kitchen. Were we actually going to be living here for the next who-knows-how-many years? I explored the small area, and came to two conclusions. One, the room had been used at least a billion times before, everything was worn down and I found graffiti in the bathroom. Two, this place had been designed for midgets, which was fine for Mikey, but not the best for a 16 year-old like me. The beds were the size of a large crib, and the top bunk was like 1 foot below the ceiling. The chairs were so small I felt like I would slip out of them, and the sink in the bathroom was so low I had to stoop to reach it. It was like being in a kindergarten classroom, and Mikey loved it. It was like his personal playground, and as I watched him happily scramble around I decided this place was just perfect.

The next day I woke up bleary eyed to the annoying sound of my alarm clock, the one that I for some reason decided to pack when coming here. I questioned why the heck i brought such an annoying thing when I could have brought a precious `toy or necklace. Sighing, I pulled out my uniform, and not for the first time I examined the perfect creases and neat letters stitched onto the breast of the shirt. Now it was time for the hard job, waking up the sleeping goblin. But I realized that Mikey was not in bed, in fact he was sitting in the kitchen in one of the mini chairs, milk spilled all over his pajamas. Never had I seen him so eager to go to school. Well, he's more awake than I am, that's for sure.

We made our way down the hall, transitioning from the living area to the actual school area. Mikey skipped ahead of me, which was a good sign because he only skipped when he was in a good mood. I dropped hi off at his designated area, then proceeded to my own classes.

I'll leave out the details of the day. Let's just say I liked some kids, didn't like some kids, liked some teachers, didn't like some teachers. It was just like any other day, except it was ruined by the worry of how Mikey was doing. When the last bell rang, I rushed out of the room before anyone tried to start a conversation with me. I hurried to Mikey's classroom, and nervously waited outside.

New York City, 1 Month Ago

Pa sat at the small table, his head in his hands and his shoulders sagged. In front of him was a pile of paper, which I knew was the taxes and bills that still had to be filled out. I put down my schoolbag, and made my way towards Pa. "Pa, I'm back". He said nothing. "I'm going to go pick up Mikey now". No response. "Ok. I'll just uh, go then". He said nothing as I left the apartment and went to pick up Mikey from his school.

I got to his school just in time. I saw Mikey running out of the building, I crouched down and opened my arms wide. But when Mikey approached, I saw his face was red and inflamed, and his eyes were filled with burning tears. "Mikey? What's wrong?", I grasped his shoulders and looked him in the eyes. "Me hate this place. It bad. Kids mean. Wish me not be here." We walked home in silence, me, a nearly-fully-grown teenager and Mikey a mere scrap of a 6 year old, both of us thinking the same thing. About how nothing was working out. About how we wished things would change.

The Present Day

And here I was, nervously waiting outside a first grade classroom, thinking that all we had done by coming here was make things worse. No more familiar faces or habits, and it's not like this is a fairy tale. Being sent here won't magically pay Pa's tax bills, It won't bring Ma back or move us back into our nice house. What's the point?

At that moment, Mikey came bursting out of the room, followed by a group of little boys, all of them happily screeching and shouting. They ran right past me and into the schoolyard, their faces bright and happy. They circled around my brother as he told them a story in gibberish. Mikey looked up and waved at me, his smile larger than I had seen it in a long time.

I waved back, then turned away, a mixed feeling of shock and joy.

Maybe things will change.

October 22, 2020 13:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Arham Ishraq
23:59 Oct 25, 2020

IM SO SORRY I DIDNT NOTICE YOU POSTED SOMETHING HAUDNQLS I love this! I like how you brought the prompt into a new light, and changed between time zones. It was much different then what I expected everyone else to be doing, and I also agree. Richer people DO act like people who don't have money are sick with something, or steal. Also, I love how in both of your stories, the endings show how things might not be as terrible as they seem. Looking forward to your next story :)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
12:55 Oct 26, 2020

Thank you! Also, I'm not going to kill you for being 2 days late lol!

Reply

Arham Ishraq
00:36 Oct 27, 2020

Yay :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:03 Oct 25, 2020

Heya there ^^ This was a good story and I liked what ya did for it, I'm bad at giving advice but I have to agree with what she said in the comments, though I do hope that you'll continue to write more stories on here. I'll give this a 10/10 :)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:07 Oct 25, 2020

Thank you! Of course I'll continue to write! :D

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Oct 25, 2020

No problem, ya deserve it ^^ hey if it's alright, could you maybe check out my story "Ghostly fun times" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
19:11 Oct 25, 2020

Yeah sure!

Reply

B. W.
19:11 Oct 25, 2020

Thank you ^^ remember to leave feedback, I'm excited to see what ya would think :)

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
20:28 Oct 25, 2020

;)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
21:00 Oct 22, 2020

Hey Aine! This is great, I love the tension in the beginning of the story! :) The only things I spotted were, 1.) Run-on sentences Such as: 'I had to stay strong for Mikey's sake, I couldn't let him know I was scared, he was just a 6 year old, he was too young for this.' Lol, now that I look at it, it isn't that much of a run-on, but you're switching between thoughts fast, and it makes it seem longer than it is. Maybe you should put periods in-between some of those words, and connect the ideas that are similar. 2.) Tense changes ...

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
15:40 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you, your advice rly helps and I will keep it in mind in my later writing :D

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
17:36 Oct 23, 2020

Your welcome, anytime! :)

Reply

Arham Ishraq
23:56 Oct 25, 2020

EVEN Arham? Oh stop, your making it sound like I know how to write lol

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
23:57 Oct 25, 2020

Because you do! Don't insult yourself like that *smacks on back of head gently*

Reply

Arham Ishraq
15:47 Oct 29, 2020

N o

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Guilherme Caxico
13:27 Oct 29, 2020

Sorry that I only saw it now, I haven't been checking my mails... Well, the first thing to say is that the time-changing between the kid's phases was a great choice. For me, it really looked like a diary, a roommate she could talk about when she had no one to, and that made me feel closer to her situation. Second things second, the altruism between sister and brother was accurate as it can be, matching reality. Great story, great writing, great writer. Congrats.

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:30 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you- I have a younger brother, so I have some experience ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vaishnavi Singh
04:39 Oct 29, 2020

I really liked your style of narration. Great job!

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
13:30 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Clayberg
17:52 Nov 16, 2020

I like how your story evolves from things not going well to things slowly getting better. Not quite rags to riches like in a Shirley Temple movie, but something more realistic. Thank you for writing it. Btw, I did find just one typo: I dropped hi off I think you meant: I dropped him off In case you're curious: I notice typos in what I read (whether it's by me or by someone else). And it can get frustrating sometimes when I go back to reread something I've written for the umpteenth time and still find at least one more error to...

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:03 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you for the feedback and advice, I'm really awful at proofreading so thank you for pointing these things out to me!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:14 Nov 16, 2020

You're welcome. Proofreading, editing, and rewriting just takes practice. Years ago, I used to hate editing because it always seemed to make my writing worse, not better. My late father told me one time when I mentioned my dislike of editing, "Then you're not doing it correctly. Editing should only be done to make what you wrote better, not worse." He was right. Between my freelance transcription job and writing short stories for this website, I've definitely gotten a lot of practice in proofreading, editing, and rewriting. I still ...

Reply

Wolfy 🐺
18:22 Nov 16, 2020

Thank you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.