122 comments

Drama High School Fiction

Bree

Del just texted us.

“I lost my job today,” Marissa read. “LOL, love you.” She shook her head, making her flashy rose gold earrings jump in wide surprise.

I shrugged. We both knew Del. Her job wouldn’t have lasted a month. Or, in this case, two weeks and six days. But who’s counting?

“She needs to stop making this a habit,” Marissa said, twisting her lips into a salmon-colored line. “Why can’t she stick to something she actually knows how to do?”

Delilah, or Del, was the color orange. She was organized and disorganized at the same time, with all of her fancy, mismatched outfits running to one place or another. But they actually looked beautiful when scattered in her room, like an abstract painting. Her bedroom walls were scraped into different colors, with the left wall exposing the red layer, then the orange layer, then the green. I loved her hair; bright red and pink highlights. Her shirt never agreed with her pants, and that was perfectly okay for us.

I mean, it was okay for me. I was organized, but I don’t make a fuss about it. Marissa makes sure everything goes in the right spot, like tapping the right piano keys or plucking the right strings in the guitar. Her hair was always either tied up in a thick bun, or loose and curly. I assumed her color was a light shade of navy blue. Or is it just plain navy blue?

“It’s fine,” I answered. “Let her do what she wants. She’ll find something.” I knew that was only me hoping it was true.

***

Del

“Did you clean your room yet?” My older brother Dil glanced in my room and sighed. He clutched his phone in his sweaty palm, clearly annoyed. “Dinner’s in five, and you’re not allowed to eat until—” He gestured his free hand to the mess. My mess. My beautiful mess.

I threw one of my stained shirts I left under my suitcase at him. It went flying toward his chest. He threw it back, and since I was crouched on my knees, it soared under the ceiling until it feathered on my hair. Blood-colored hair.

My brother left the room. I could sense his smirk. Or maybe he was texting.

***

Del

My mom carefully sat down on a beige chair, watching me eat. I didn’t ask. Conversations with Mom always ended in lectures.

“Honey,” my mom started. I looked up. “You cleaned your room, right?”

I suddenly felt annoyed since that was the second time I heard the question. “Mhm, I guess.” I attempted to grab the cauliflower with my fork. “Why did you make me, though? I thought you said my room looked creative—“

She held up her hand. “I know what I said, Delilah. But after a while, we were both worried that when you go off for college, you’ll get a little too creative in your dorm.”

I glanced around. “We?” My father took off years ago. I looked at Dil, who was hiding behind his phone screen. My eyes glared at him, but he was still hiding, so he didn’t see. I hoped he sensed it behind that ugly phone case.

“Don’t blame your brother for what you are doing,” my mother warned. “And I heard you got fired from your job today. That’s the third time, this month!”

I shrugged. I wanted to say baking was hard. But she continued.

“Today, starting now, you’re going to redecorate your room. I already put some of your things in a donating box. You’re going to make everything more organized.” She added, “And Marissa will help you find another job. Maybe an ice cream shop so you can sneak free ice cream.” She chuckled.

My eyes didn’t blink the whole time she talked like I was in a trance. But what I was hearing was real. I’m really going to have to give up on everything I loved.

Dil put his phone down. “Don’t you think that’s too much of a punishment? It’ll be hard for her to restart what she had done for years.”

Yes, brothers rock!

Mom just laughed. “Punishment? I’m trying to help. She needs to learn to be more organized. For her future. For everything.”

Trying to help? I could be more organized if you just damn told me to!

I knew I sometimes had a temper when I had a feeling I wasn’t being understood. And that’s exactly what happened today.

“I can’t believe you’re doing this to me.” I stood up. But I can believe she’s doing this.

But why are you doing it?

Because you’re worried about my future?

Or because you don’t want a daughter with a crazy, wild mind?

I shook my head. Stop thinking stupid thoughts.

“Delilah, we’re trying to help.”

“We? What, you’re going to pay Dil to help my ‘problem?’ I’m just different, that’s it. I like crazy colors, weird styles, giving myself challenges and changes. And now you want me to become ‘normal’ like everyone else, when you have a special daughter standing in front of you that doesn’t care about what anyone else thinks?” I had to say it slowly; the lump in my throat shaped like a circular dice disabled my ability to speak.

I accidentally bumped my elbow to my plate, and I heard it crash to the ground with an unsatisfying clash.

I hated it when my brother had to see me cry, so I ran the hell out of there. I promised myself I would never come back out of the spot my legs urged me to hide in.

***

Marissa

“I’m so proud and disappointed in you at the same time,” I said, turning to Del. “I would’ve killed to hear that speech. But the plate? You had to knock over the plate?” I tried making her smile.

I could tell she also tried. “It was an accident. My eyes stung and I couldn’t see.” She looked thoughtful as if replaying the scene in her head. “But I still can’t believe I have to redecorate.”

“It’s just redecorating,” I offered.

“Yeah, but it’s not just redecorating. It’s like redecorating my whole life, my future. All of the weird colors in my room were like memories. They were a part of me. I was a part of them.”

“Whoa, deep.”

“But anyway,” Del changed the subject, running her fingers through her tangled hair. “Job. You’re over here because of the job. Teach me everything I need to know, Sensei.” She bowed.

I smiled. I might have underestimated her. “Well, first, do you have anything in mind right now? A job you want to take a ‘lil look at?”

“Not really.”

“Hmm, alright. A barista? Cashier? A…” I squinted at the screen. “A Fashion retail associate?”

“Fired, fired, and haven’t tried it yet.”

I replied, “I think you’d be great at it. You have funky style, but if we try working a little harder, you’d be more…I thought of a word. “Professional.”

Her face faltered. “So you want me to be boring? You’re just like my mom.”

I was about to protest, but I saw a familiar inky blue car coming in our direction. “Del? Is that you’re mom?”

She turned around in surprise, and I was too because she wasn’t supposed to come to pick her up for another thirty minutes. I saw Del’s face turn from surprise to immediate distress. I squeezed her hand.

Del called out, “What are you doing here?”

Her mother waved at her uncomfortably, and suddenly Del’s expression was unreadable. She muttered in my ear, “I’ll see you later.”

I was about to whisper back, but she already dashed away. Soon I’d be all alone again, but that’s okay, because I’ve found myself smiling. Del’s eyebrows unclenched, and even just from that, instant weight lifted off of my shoulders.

***

Del

My thick hair suddenly made my neck sweat. Was I dreaming?

Can you feel real sweat when you’re dreaming?

It’s been two days since the dinner conversation. I dreaded each day, wondering if Mom will make me start redecorating now.

Nothing’s real in a dream, so I guess it’s not possible. But you can feel sweat in a dream, like imaginary weight pulling you down. Like the dread I felt every day. It’s like the sweat.

Why am I thinking about sweat?

“I’m sorry, Delilah.” I realized we were standing outside of our driveway, and that she was talking for four whole minutes.

I didn’t ask why she’s apologizing. I didn’t need another 4-minute talk and probably an extra minute lecture of paying attention when the other person was rambling. I didn’t need to try to think about sweat again.

“I can’t believe how desperate I was to change you, like your father tried to change me.”

I knew how hard it was for Mom when she talked about Dad, so I gave her an awkward hug around the neck and shoulders and whispered it was okay. Then, “am I still going to redecorate my room?”

She blinked rapidly for ten seconds to reclaim her vision. “Only if you want to,” she whispered. “But I won’t force you.”

I knew she still had a tiny bug in her heart that she wanted me to redecorate.

“Mom, I won’t change a thing about my room. But I’ll be more organized if you want to. I promise.” I added, “I’m also interested in a job. Marissa helped.”

She cried again, and I didn’t know if they were proud tears. But they were contagious, and soon little drops fell down our cheeks and some on our thighs, and we cradled each other tightly as if that would make them stop spilling. They didn’t, and I knew they never would even if we stayed in this position for days.

I didn’t even know what we were crying about anymore.

A few bird chirps and car noises later, we grabbed each other by the shoulders and walked to our home without shame. When Mom opened the door, I thought,

I took challenges, but maybe not enough changes.

Then I grinned and walked in. It was time to start redecorating. Something that wasn’t my room.

November 23, 2020 02:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

122 comments

15:04 Nov 25, 2020

Hi! Great story! Your characters were very well thought out and written. You have an amazing writing style and did a lot of showing, not telling. Also, I love the little sneak peak of your new book from your bio. It sounds really good so far (even though I only read a few sentences)

Reply

Hi Blair :) Thank you so much!

Reply

17:49 Nov 25, 2020

Of course! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
23:06 Nov 27, 2020

Hey, you said you knew who the downvoter is? Do you know WHO it is exactly? I have been talking to B.W. and she said she got a comment saying something like "I am sorry I have to do this", and then she got downvoted, but later it got deleted. Did something like that happen to you?

Reply

I just talked to Megan Sutherland about it and it happened to me!! Weird...It was sent two days ago and deleted yesterday. Didn't happen to you though? Happy late Thanksgiving!

Reply

00:14 Nov 28, 2020

Oh really? Yeah, that is weird. No, I have been downvoted quite a lot but I haven't gotten one of those comments. You too! I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. :)

Reply

Oh...I'm sorry you got downvoted also. So annoying /: Idk what's the point of doing it. Thanks! I did :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
01:39 Dec 15, 2020

Hey Kendra! Glad you're back and well! This was such a heartwarming story (at the end, when Del makes up with her mom)! I love Del's whole personality, she's so funky and cool! It'd be a crime to make her redecorate! The relationship between Del and her mom is so cute at the end, I love it! I like how you introduce Del, with the text message about her losing her job. Very slick. Great job! :)

Reply

Awhhh thanks so much!!!! So glad you enjoyed the story. Yeah, I never really made a character like Del before, so you made my day!!! Thanks! Have a nice week! ✨✨

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
13:20 Dec 16, 2020

No problem! Really? I like Del's personality so much, so you did a good job with that! You too! :)

Reply

Yep! Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lucas Zhou
23:25 Dec 02, 2020

wow... this is amazing congrats

Reply

Thanks Lucas 🎄 sorry for late reply lol

Reply

Lucas Zhou
08:31 Dec 21, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:46 Dec 01, 2020

I love the ending!

Reply

Thanks, Lucy :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:37 Nov 27, 2020

Wait a minute, your back now??

Reply

yessirrr

Reply

B. W.
23:45 Nov 27, 2020

I'm glad ^^ how have ya been?

Reply

:) I'm pretty great! It's kinda like I forgot how to write lol...Still need time to refresh my memories. Also I want to try to get back up on the leaderboard xD which might not happen considering I'm far behind

Reply

B. W.
23:48 Nov 27, 2020

Your still in 12th place though, so maybe soon enough you could get into 10th place or something ^^ I could upvote ya at some point if ya want?

Reply

Maybe! That would be great if you can, I was just going to upvote you :D

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jen Park
15:54 Nov 26, 2020

Hi Kendra! (Or should I call you AJK now?) I came back from some break and I'm so glad to find out you're posting stories again. And I'll be waiting for the novel, if you're going to post it on Amazon. Nice character development and writing style like all your stories use to be. You always draws the readers into your story. I don't have that talent. I'm working on it. I had the same problem with the character here. My room and my desk always are overly "creative." I enjoyed other parts of the story as well, but I'd better give you more d...

Reply

Thank you so much for your comment. Maybe I'll put it on Amazon ✨ I doubt it. I've read your stories ;) Alright! Thank you. I hope you had a good sleep ")

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:28 Nov 23, 2020

Aww I love how this ended! Throughout the entire story, you built up the plot really well, it didn't feel too rushed despite spanning a longer time period than most of your other stories. Del's internal dialogue was also done nicely, it really showcased the emotions she was feeling in each scene. Overall, a great read!

Reply

Thank you so much :) Appreciate your comment 🎄❄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crows_ Garden
16:08 Mar 30, 2022

Interesting ending, I like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
14:44 Dec 28, 2020

Love he different points of view, very creative! You really twisted the plot perfectly around the prompt, something I can't really do without getting really, reeeeally weird. Thank you for submitting this! Have a nice day! Emmie

Reply

Thanks Emmie (love your name)!! :)

Reply

20:00 Dec 28, 2020

Your name is cool, too!

Reply

Thanks :))

Reply

00:11 Dec 29, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
19:58 Dec 07, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Hey! And about the helping thing, what is it? You might not get much help from me, since I'm only online twice a week.

Reply

B. W.
18:06 Dec 08, 2020

How are ya? and im kinda writing a new novel

Reply

im great! you? Thats cool! What it it?

Reply

B. W.
22:31 Dec 08, 2020

ya want me to tell you the plot so it would be easier to help or just some other small stuff?

Reply

you can tell me the summary of it or the plot if you want!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
23:01 Dec 05, 2020

Could you maybe help me with something?

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
22:02 Dec 04, 2020

Heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:40 Dec 04, 2020

Oooooh love this one! Such realistic characters, and I love how the POV switches back and forth. Awesome job!

Reply

Aw thanks so much Aerin!!! ✨✨✨✨

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:58 Dec 03, 2020

YES!!!! I am so glad you are back! I've been waiting for another story, and this is just a m a z i n g! Great to have you back and writing!!!! (By the way, do you know who the downvoter is? I have a bone to pick with them) Great story Kendra!!! Loved it!

Reply

Ahhh thank you so much!!!!!!!! Still trying to figure out who it is. There might be more than 1, but I know one of the downvoters is a girl. I don't think she's been online for a while yet though. Thank yoU :DDD

Reply

21:29 Dec 03, 2020

No problem :) And thanks!

Reply

14:46 Dec 28, 2020

I don't know who the downvoter or downvoters are, but I can tell you that I left a note telling them to stop in my bio. Hasn't worked yet, but...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
05:30 Dec 01, 2020

Hey, i just got another new story out ^^ could you check out "Unforgivable" and leave some feedback on it?

Reply

yeah definitely!!

Reply

B. W.
01:14 Dec 21, 2020

thanks ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
03:02 Dec 01, 2020

Finally, got the time to read your story! This was written wonderfully. And the change of perspectives made the story more interesting. The starting was a funny to me. Wonderfully done. Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story "Childish dream?"

Reply

Thank youuuu!! Sure thing!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:23 Nov 30, 2020

Hi, Kendra! I'm so glad that you are back!! This story is great! And the ending is so perfect! You know who the downvoter is?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amber Brownlee
22:39 Nov 29, 2020

Very well written, I absolutely loved it.

Reply

Thanks, Amber!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:15 Nov 29, 2020

Hey, how are you today?

Reply

I'm great :D (one month later 😂)

Reply

B. W.
01:14 Dec 21, 2020

you excited for christmas?

Reply

heck yeah! This year is actually the 1st time we put up a tree and that's the most decoration we've ever done 😅 What about you??

Reply

B. W.
01:22 Dec 21, 2020

You've never put up a tree until this year?

Reply

yerp! We do have holiday spirit, but we don't actually do decor lolz

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sumedha Sengupta
15:01 Nov 29, 2020

First things first, I just LOVE how GORGEOUS this is and and I love how well though out it is!! Amazing job!

Reply

Ahhhh thank you!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.