53 comments

Funny Holiday Fantasy


“I can’t believe he really did that. Seriously, what was he thinking? How could he…” I paused mid-sentence, because I just realized that I had been talking out loud, in the middle of a street, with people gawking at me as though I’m crazy. 


 Before you too come to the same conclusion, let me assure you that I’m, in fact, NOT crazy and I have valid reasons for my above mentioned behavior.


 First, let me introduce myself. I’m *insert drum-roll here* Lucifer Morningstar, Prince of Darkness, Son of Satan, The Devil himself! I can still go on and on about all my other titles, but I think you get my point.


 My father, Satan, sent me to Earth for twenty-four hours as my punishment, because I messed up a bit while performing my hellish duties (no pun intended).


  I was too lazy to monitor and allocate the chores for all those who entered the Gates of Hell, so I kind of, accidentally, sent them to Heaven, where they won’t be my headache anymore. I mean, is it really that big of an offense? My old man is getting too cranky nowadays. *sigh*


 The punishment does not end there. I was assigned to *shudder visibly* keep a KID happy during those 24 hours! My dad knows that I’m a pedophobe! Aargh, Satan really is the evilest creature!


 So, that’s the reason I was mumbling and cursing my father, while I was on my way to the Larsons’ home, who had been glamoured to think that I’m their child’s nanny for the weekend, while they would be away on a trip.


 Hold on…If a male nanny is called “manny”, then is a devil nanny called “danny”? I think I rather be called danny, instead of nanny.


 I couldn’t help but notice that they had a very majestic house. A beautiful white fountain adorned their front yard, and a few maple trees grew on either side of their house. My hands itched to paint the fountain a dirty brown and replace the fresh water with swamp water, but alas, my powers were shackled the moment I touched Earth’s surface.


 I rang their doorbell and waited. Mr. and Mrs. Larson, both of whom were fully dressed up for their trip, opened the door and greeted me inside. After exchanging pleasantries with them, the dreaded moment arrived.


 “Kathy, come here and meet Lucifer” Mrs. Larson called out.


 A tiny, five-year-old girl, with an innocent face and angelic smile came running down the stairs towards us. It took all my effort to not scrunch my face and move backwards when that…that cherubic force came near me.


 I put on a polite smile and maintained that smile until her parents left. I heaved a huge sigh of relief once they left.


 “Listen kid, you can do anything that you want. I’ll be in the living room watching some shows on the television. DO NOT disturb me and DO NOT come near me. Am I clear?” I said to her in my most menacing voice. Is this what it means to overcome your fear? Wow, I guess I can add a new title to my name- Lucifer, the Conqueror of Fears and the Terrorizer of Kids!


 Immediately, that kid’s face transformed. Her lips wobbled, her eyes filled up with tears, her nose and cheeks became pink and then, she let out a loud wail. Oh my, that noise! Even the banshees from the fiery pits of hell do not make such a terrible sound, in my opinion.


 I knew I had to make that, I mean, her stop making that awful noise, but I do not know how to! It’s times like these I wish I had my powers. At least then, I could have zapped her mouth shut and then watched the show. They were telecasting “The Originals” and I love that show! All those murders and betrayals…mmm, the best kind of series!


 “Alright, alright, stop crying. I was just playing with you. Come now, would you like to go and get some ice-cream? We needn’t tell Mommy.” By that time, I almost started blabbering. I was ready to bribe her with anything. After all, I can’t go back home if I don’t keep this kid happy for 24 hours.


 “Ice-cream? Can I have a strawberry flavored one?”


 “Yes, you can.”


 “With cherries on top?”


 “Yeah, okay.”


 “And sprinkles?”


 “Good gracious! You can have any and all the toppings you want. Grab your coat and let’s be on our way.”


 With a huge smile, she put on her coat and then, she did something which I totally didn’t expect…She put her hand in mine and clasped it. I stood shell-chocked while she pulled me towards the door.


 Once I got over that strange moment, we went to the nearest ice-cream vendor and bought our ice-creams, when she suddenly asked, “Can we buy one for Kiki too, Lucifer?”


 “Who is Kiki? There is another tiny thing like you at home?” I asked, horrified. I couldn’t begin to fathom the amount of dread I felt when I heard that one sentence.


 “Kiki is my pet parrot. Gran-mama came to visit yesterday and she got me a pet parrot as my Christmas gift” she explained with enthusiasm.


 “You want to feed your parrot an ice-cream?” I asked incredulously.


 “Mama said I should take care of it and feed it until she comes back home, but she didn’t tell me how” she replied in a small voice.


 Great. I wasn’t just sent to play the role of a child-nanny, but also a bird-nanny apparently. *huff* I definitely should charge more from the Larsons once they return.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------    


 We had finished our ice-creams and returned back to her home, when I heard a squawking sound. Following that sound, I noticed a large, golden cage at the corner of the living room. Inside it, an African grey parrot sat on the small swing and was squawking loudly.


 “Did you feed it since yesterday?”


 “Um, no. I tried to give my bar of chocolate but it wouldn’t eat. What shall I do now?” she asked softly. I huffed in exasperation.


 Hey, I may be the Devil, but I never had a pet bird, nor do I know to take care of one. Once, when I was young, my father bought me three hellhounds to keep as pets. But let me tell you, they considered me to be their pet and tortured me. They blew fire on my hair and singed it; “nipped at me lovingly” every now and then (just because I don’t scar doesn’t mean I don’t hurt!) and played with me (when I said played with me, I didn’t mean played alongside me. I meant played with me like I was their ball to play with). Only after I gained proper control of powers did I learn to put them in their place. Now, they are the guardians of my palace in Hell and obey all my commands.


 Anyways, back to the question at hand. I did not know what to feed the bird, but I did know not to feed it chocolate.


 I didn’t have to worry much, all thanks to one of the best mortal inventions, “Google”. I checked out a few sites and saw that people are supposed to feed their birds a nutritious diet, which included fruits and vegetables. Also, seeds and nuts are fed to them.


 “Hey kid, do you have any fruits at your home?”


 “Yes, Lucifer. I’ll get the grapes from the fruits basket.”


 “Bring a water container for the parrot too. You need to give it both food and water.”


 After helping her search for a water container and brimming it with water, we set about to feed the bird.


 “Hey, hey, don’t try to feed it from your hand initially. It might peck you. Allow the bird to get used to you for a few days. After it gets comfortable around you and realizes that you are not a threat, then pet it and do all the affectionate shi-, I mean, stuff you people do to your pets.”


 No! No, no. I do not care for the child nor would I mind if the bird pecks her. I just don’t want her to start crying again. I mean, my punishment is to keep the kid happy for 24 hours, and I don’t want my father to extend the duration because I made her cry frequently. That’s all. No other reason. Really!


 “Feed the bird at least once a day and always make sure to check the water level in its container too. Oh, and don’t forget to clean its cage regularly. Okay?”


 “Okaaaayyy. Thank you for helping me take care of Kiki, Lucy” she said with a sweet smile. Wait, what? Did she just call me “Lucy”?


 “Listen kid, my name is Lucifer! NOT Lucy!”


 “But my friend Clara said that friends give nicknames to each other, and you are my friend, aren’t you, Lucy? You can call me Kathy.”


 “Hell no! We are not friends…Oh no no no, don’t give me those eyes. Fine, okay, we are friends. Happy now?” Seriously, how do kids manage to brim their eyes with tears one instant, and then magically make them vanish the very next instant? What black magic is this?


 “Lucy, I think Kiki is bored. Can we go and buy some toys for him?”


 “I don’t think the bird would die of boredom in two days. Go shopping with your parents once they return.”


  “Please, Lucy, pleaseeeeee. I know a pet shop nearby. Uncle Max once bought so, so many toys for his dog from there. Also, we could look at all the cute dogs and cats in that store.”


 “Or, we could sit here and watch TV” I said hopefully.


 Twenty minutes later, I was back to cursing my father, while waiting for the kid to finish petting literally all the dogs at the store.


 “Look, Lucy, this little puppy just licked my hand! She is so cute! Can we buy her too?”


 “Didn’t we come here to pick some toys for your bird?” I asked exasperatedly. The shop owner just laughed after hearing our conversation. You don’t think she laughed because the kid called me “Lucy”, right? Naah, can’t be.


 Look at me! Me, the one who is called The Prince of Darkness, Son of Satan, The Devil, has finally been reduced to such a low level that now I’m being called with a human’s name, and that too a feminine one!


 I still think that father had been too harsh on me. After all, even though I made a small mistake, I had done many great things this year too. The year 2020 has been one of my greatest achievements. Do I even need to list out all that I had done? Well, let me anyways: The COVID pandemic, several severe cyclones and hurricanes, forest fires, and what-nots. I even planned to give a good finale by making a few volcanoes erupt in some parts of the world.


 But now, here I am, stuck on Earth, without my powers, baby-sitting a five-year-old kid, who is hell bent on frustrating me every second.


 “Kid, have you finally chosen the toys you require?”


 “Um, I like all of them. Can we buy all of them?”


 “If your parents had given me their credit card, I would have gladly bought the entire store and burdened them with all these animals, but unfortunately, I was given only a small amount, so, no, we can’t buy all of them.”


 “Will you help me choose, please?”


 Heaving a huge sigh, I replied, “Fine. The sooner you choose, the faster we could leave.” Also, I didn’t like the way those cats kept looking at me.


 With the shopkeeper’s assistance, we picked out some toys and returned to her home.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 After fussing over the bird some more, the kid suddenly said that she was hungry. Not only do I not know what to feed the birds, I don’t know what to feed little kids either.


 Thankfully, her mom had cooked and left the food in the refrigerator, so I heated it a bit and we had our early dinner.


 After dinner, I made her re-fill the bird’s water vessel and then she brain-washed me into playing tea party with her dolls. I wonder if I could take this kid back with me to Hell, and check if she could make Satan bend to her will too.


 Finally, the peaceful moment arrived. It was her bed-time! Yay! Finally, I get to watch TV.


 Trust her to make that too a torturous and embarrassing moment.


 “Lucy, can you please read me a story?”


 “Why can’t you just go to sleep, kid?”


 “But mama and papa always read me al least one story before I go to sleep.”


 “I’ve never read stories to anyone, nor has anyone read them to me. So, just be a good little girl, and go to sleep now.”


 “No one has read to you? That’s sad, Lucy. Maybe I could read to you from my book tonight. Mama said that I can read well for my age.”


 I was momentarily dumbfounded. I did not know how to react to such a simple, yet sweet question, as no one had cared enough about me to ask something like this.


 I swallowed, and replied roughly, “It’s alright. Which story do you want me to read to you?”


 I read her the story of Rapunzel and slowly she fell asleep. I was about to walk away from her room, when I got a strange urge to tuck the blankets comfortably around her. Without questioning myself why I got that thought, I just did it and went to sit in the living room.


 I had a few hours to myself until she woke up. The Larsons had Amazon Prime subscription, so I binge-watched a few episodes of The Originals. One of the perks of being immortal is that I don’t have to sleep. Sometimes, I may close my eyes and pretend to be asleep just to avoid making small talk with others.


 When I finished season three, I realized that it was morning already. I checked the clock and it read 8 am. Mr. and Mrs. Larsons said that they would be back in the morning, so I just had to sustain here for 2-3 hours maximum.


 I had made some scrambled eggs and was wondering when to rouse the kid from her sleep, when she came running down the stairs. Ha! Speak of the devil angel.


 “Good morning, Lucy.”


 “Morning, kid. Want some eggs for breakfast?”


 “Sure” Thank Satan, kids do eat eggs!


 We ate, and then I put on some Youtube videos which showed how to give a bath to birds, when we heard the doorbell.


 Jumping with joy, she ran towards the door screaming “Mama! Papa!”.


 It was, indeed, her parents. The kid gushed to her parents about how much fun she had at the pet store and then proceeded to tell them all about the previous day.


 Finally, it was time for me to leave. My 24 hours on Earth was up. The Larsons thanked me for taking care of their kid, while she stood beside them with a sad expression on her face.


 “Are you leaving now, Lucy? Won’t you stay for another day?”


 Something pulled at my heart when I heard those words.


 “Yeah, I’m sorry but I have to go to work today. It was nice meeting you” I said with a genuine smile.


 “Oh, alright then. Good bye, Lucy. Will you come and play with me another day?”


 “Goodbye…Kathy. Maybe one day” I said with a small wave and left.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Hell:


 “So, Son…Hope you learnt your lesson. How was your time on Earth?” father asked me with a smirk.


 “I had a great time, actually. Thanks for the punishment, Father” I replied with a wink, and went to plot other ways to cause mayhem and havoc.









December 20, 2020 11:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

53 comments

Wow Akshaya! You wrote the story in response to this prompt in such a creative and awe-striking way! Such a good holiday story! Can't wait to read more of your work! :)

Reply

16:02 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you so much, Haripriya! I'm glad that you liked it! :D Same here! I thoroughly enjoy reading your stories. :)

Reply

Aww, thank you so much! :)

Reply

18:10 Dec 25, 2020

Just stating the truth! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
13:01 Dec 20, 2020

Hi Akshaya! WOW!! Outstanding story! I love your writing and the way it has improved over time! I love the concept of your story and that you based it off on Lucifer, the son of Satan! It was great, once again, how you wove the thoughts of the protagonist in the story, italicized, so we could understand what was going on in his head. I love the humor, especially Lucifer's new nickname :). The ending was really sweet and promising. Overall, I enjoyed reading your story very much! It was gripping until the very end! Keep writing! :D

Reply

13:14 Dec 20, 2020

Hello Akshaya! Thank you so so much! This comment made my day, honestly. a few of the Reedsy authors had given me feedback on how to improve, and I followed their advice and wrote this story accordingly. I'm glad that my writing style has improved. Definitely! :) Waiting for your next story, Akshaya! Have a nice day! :)

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:25 Dec 20, 2020

My pleasure! :) Thanks! I'll be putting out a story this week, too. I've started it, and I'll surely let you know when I post it! It's on the same prompt (Dunno why, but the moment this week's prompts came out, I found this one interesting and worth trying because of the 'bird', and seeing that I simply adore birds and used to own some when I was younger!) Have a nice day, too! :)

Reply

13:39 Dec 20, 2020

Oh, that's great!! What kind of birds did you own? Wow, so you have first-hand experience on how to take care of birds, then. That's amazing! :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
13:51 Dec 20, 2020

Thank you! :) I used to own chicks, so I guess I have some experience in that! I don't know about taking care of birds that can fly, like parrots, though!

Reply

17:29 Dec 21, 2020

Oh! That's great! What happened to them now?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey Akshaya! I wanted to give you a late Christmas gift, because I forgot (I'm sorry!!!) by upvoting you. So, is that ok? P.S. Love your take on Percy Jackson! I can't even draw that well! You can tell by how terribly I drew my profile pic!

Reply

Show 0 replies
06:23 Dec 22, 2020

WOW... THIS IS BY FAR YOUR BEST STORY!! How the hell did you even think of relating the prompt with the Lucifer series?! And that too, the way you connected them was just so beautiful! Also, all those hilarious dark jokes. The whole story was perfect, in my opinion. It may be because I thought of Gru and Agnes from Despicable Me when I was reading this. All in all, I looooooved this story a lot and I hope you write many more stories like this :)

Reply

15:57 Dec 22, 2020

Thank you soooo much! :) I watched one episode of that series and I just knew that my next story should feature the Devil, and so I checked all the prompts and this one caught my eye. OMG, yess! This relationship is so like Gru and Agnes! Wow, I didn't even think of that! Thanks!! I can't wait to share more of my stories with you! :D :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:07 Dec 22, 2020

Keep writing. Get better. Keep writing. Keep getting better and better :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
03:53 Dec 21, 2020

It was a really different story... Great imagination.... I guess I haven't heard stories along these lines... Good work...

Reply

16:44 Dec 21, 2020

Thank you, Darshini! I'm glad that you liked it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
22:01 Dec 20, 2020

Much better. I appreciate how you took the effort to improve. There are fewer mistakes now, and one spelling error where "offense" needs to be turned into "offence". "Fresh water" can be converted to "freshwater". There was also a couple of times where you need to add or remove a comma, but other than that, the story's good to go! I recommend installing Grammarly to help and then copy/pasting onto a Word document to find more detailed mistakes. :) Have a great day ahead,

Reply

16:49 Dec 21, 2020

A few of them had commented that my writing style had improved, and I really have to thank you for the feedback and suggestions! I checked the correct spelling for offense while writing this story and I learnt that both the spellings are actually correct. I'll make the change to "fresh water". Thanks for correcting the error. :) Oh, sure. I'll make use of Grammarly from the next time onwards. I really appreciate the help. :) Thank you. Have a nice day.

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:53 Dec 21, 2020

Ah okay. For the spelling of offence, I was thinking twice about it, so, my bad. I use the UK spelling version of Grammarly so the spellings might alter a little from yours. No problem, and have a nice day ahead too. :)

Reply

16:01 Dec 22, 2020

Oh, that's alright. Please feel free to let me know of any errors you might come across in my stories and I'll re-check them. Thank you :)

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:56 Dec 22, 2020

Of course. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Niveeidha Palani
21:56 Dec 22, 2020

Of course. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Amazing work Akshaya! One of my favorites from you! Super sweet from beginning to end! Great job once again:)

Reply

17:12 Dec 21, 2020

Hi! Thank you so much, Varsha! I'm glad that you liked it! :D

Reply

16:24 Dec 22, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:56 Dec 20, 2020

Wow, Akshaya!!! I think this is your best story yet!! I can see that your writing has improved over only a few stories; where will you be in several months?? I LOVED this story. I loved the humor, especially; it was really cute. There are no critiques. It’s perfect the way it is. Let me know when you write another story!!

Reply

17:27 Dec 21, 2020

Thank you so much, Katie! My writing style had improved thanks to all the feedback and suggestions I had received from various Reedsy authors for my previous stories. I really appreciate your help! Thank you :) Definitely! Let me know when you post your next story too! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Akshaya! New story out. Mind checking it out:)

Reply

17:36 Dec 25, 2020

Sure, I'd love to! :) Merry Christmas!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:33 Dec 22, 2020

When the devil becomes a babysitter. Funny to see evil personified taking care of an innocent, purehearted kid. (Purehearted got changed to preheated on autocorrect...) Upvotes for everyone!

Reply

17:54 Dec 25, 2020

What better punishment for the devil than the very "thing" he does not like! XD LOL! Autocorrect! Half the time it changes my intended word when I try to text in short forms. Upvoted your reply :) Merry Christmas!

Reply

21:03 Dec 25, 2020

Thanks for the upvote! And yeah, Autocorrect drives me CRAZY! Merry Christmas to you too, if you celebrate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:12 Dec 20, 2020

OMG I LOVE YOU'RE PROFILE PIC YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD ARTISTTTTT!!!!!!!! Back to the story, I LOVED IT!!!!!!! It was sooo good! It reminded me a lot of Trials of Apollo. Great job!!

Reply

16:52 Dec 21, 2020

Hi! Thank you sooo much!!! It's a sketch of Percy Jackson (I love him so so much! ) Ohh! I haven't finished that series yet. I'm glad that you liked the story! :) Thanks! Have a nice day :)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
17:21 Dec 21, 2020

Yeah he's the best!! And np!! Thanks you too! :DD

Reply

16:25 Dec 22, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:36 Dec 22, 2020

Me, too. I'm obsessed with drawing my characters, and after three months, I finally finished one girl who seemed pretty simple to draw. But her eyes took three tries even on my final drawing. (P.S. I didn't;t draw my profile pic. That was "stolen" from the internet)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
12:26 Dec 20, 2020

Hi All! Yesterday, I watched one episode of the show "Lucifer" and I knew that I had to write my next story which features Lucifer. So, here it is. Hope you like it. Please do let me know if there are any parts where I should make changes and where I can improve. Thanks in advance. :) Have a nice day! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshara P
07:30 Jul 21, 2021

Wow, this was so unique! I followed instantly because I got hooked to this story instantly! 😁 Can't wait to read more of your work! <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Bum Bum
15:53 Mar 25, 2021

Wow What a unique take Got really hooked by it :) *Followed instantly*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Akshaya ✨
07:45 Mar 04, 2021

Hi Akshaya! It's been a long time! :) How are you doing?

Reply

Show 0 replies
TJ Squared
01:54 Feb 21, 2021

This was very interesting! That was a very unique perspective!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nyla N
02:33 Jan 24, 2021

Wow! That was sooo good! I really loved how you tied it back to reality with Covid and all that! You also used the prompt to tie so well into the story!! And I love the ending, even though Lucifer may have some more emotion, it wasn't enough to change him and I think that's more accurate than getting carried away and making him a changed man! You're a really good writer! Would you mind checking out my last story and leaving me some feedback so I can improve? (It's only my second one EVER!) If you're busy, no worries! But if you can, I'd real...

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:28 Jan 15, 2021

Hey Akshaya! I wrote a new story! Could you check it out and let me know what you think? Have a good day!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Hi Akshaya, Can u check out my new story? Also happy late new year!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.