105 comments

High School Contemporary

"There were three..."


"Point??"


"...None." 


Silence, then: "...For what?"


He sighed at her. "Did you even read the text? Fifteenth century not interesting you?"


Eyes glued on her phone, she casually responded: "Nein."


“Look, I can’t do ALL your homework for you. December 26 or so, Columbus' ship Santa María ran aground and was lost,” he soldiered on.


“It was among… five total?”


“Argh! Three ships, not five: the Santa María, Pinta and Niña! I thought everyone knew this stuff.” Exasperation threatened an eclipse of his current good deed. “How did you even make it through grade school?!”


“Google,” she said, scrolling. “Eight days a week!”


He was nearly fed up. “Put down the damn cell phone. It doesn’t really matter if Dick Van Dyke turned 97 today, or that Bruce Willis has dementia now, or what hair color Nicki Minaj chose this week! What matters is that you are not gonna pass this particular class if you can’t put some effort into this report,” he downed a slug of Coke and ran a hand through his hair. She was smart, but playing dumb was her favorite act. “Ok, we can do this. Start small: do you know the significance of Columbus’s voyages?”


“Nein!” She glanced up and checked for a smile.


Instead, he grimaced. She decided she'd get serious: “Ok, there were originally three ships, now there were two. They were on their way towards – what history calls – the discovery of the Americas.”


“Yes!” he nearly shouted triumphantly. “Ok, getting there. Now, he had three voyages, and it took eight years until the voyaging was all complete. The significance is that the voyages are considered as marking the beginning of globalization.”


“Wasn’t it four voyages?”


“She shoots, she scores! I can’t tell if you were paying attention at some point, or if that was a lucky guess, but I’ll take it. At least you didn’t say “six” or “two” or really any other number.” He finally had a hint of a smile. “Now, can you just choose any of the focus topics regarding the consequences of Columbus?”


“There’s only six. What about Indi’ans?”


He choked. “God forbid!” 


“Why not?” she asked, feigning bafflement. “We’re calling them Indigenous Americans these days, so I’m just shortening it. “Three Indians” isn’t the same as “three Indi’ans” – can't you tell how I’m saying it??”


“Sure: you’re saying it like a national embarrassment,” he said. “I cannot even be bothered educating you on just how wrong that phrase is – I have a big enough job on my hands already.” Stretching, he switched tracks: “Last time I ate was breakfast; got anything? It’s nearly 3 pm.” She shrugged, so he rummaged through the fridge, put together a sandwich, then returned. “Let me check the topics… hmm,” he said, peering at the list. “How about the last choice: European Consequences?”


“Too boring.”


“There’s no choice numbered seven-plus… just chose!”


“...nein?” She figured maybe this time was the charm.


Nope. “Stop saying that! If you wanna study some German, fine, but it certainly won’t help you pass this class: you gotta get a 50% or better grade on this report or you are taking history all over again.” He paused. “Wait, are you interested in Mr. Evans or something?”


“Of course not, it’s just that we have 28 more days – nearly a month! – until it’s due. You know I do my best work under pressure,” she whined.


Tossing her a Coke: “Just ate – want anything?”


“Not for me, thanks.”


They sipped their drinks in silence. At 19, he hated hanging around highschoolers now, but she needed the help.


“I won’t always be around here helping with your self-induced crises you know, sis,” he said. “I can’t be the only serious sibling. Only thing keeping me from getting on I-71 and heading back towards college right this minute is that I haven’t told Mom goodbye yet. You keep stalling. Last night, you had us doing pizza and video games. The night before, it was watching Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure…” 


“69, dude!” she interjected, laughing at the catch phrase. He took a deep breath and continued, “I’m really worried that you have such a lackadaisical attitude about your grades. I know you’ve never failed, and I know that you’re smart, but nothing makes up for the absolute squandering of time that you seem set upon. Do you wanna be stuck in Cassity the rest of your life, completely doomed?”


“Hey, what’s wrong with Cassity?” she asked, missing the point. “Mom says that she and dad spent the best times of their 39 years together, here. If he’d made it longer, then those would have been good, as well.”


He laughed. “That’s funny, because she’s confided in me – more than once – that it felt more like 93 years together, sometimes there at the end.” He switched back into a serious vein: “Look, I don’t wanna tell you your business, but you bet – if it was me – I’d be trying a lot harder at getting away from this place. If you’re happy enough, then all good, but there’s a great big world out there, full of lots of discoveries at least as interesting as those that Columbus made. So, think about it, okay?”


She tucked a stray hair behind her ear – a sign he knew well from their childhood. She was anxious. “I think part of it is that I just don’t know what I wanna do after high school,” she said. “It seems safer and less scary if I just imagine my whole life as unchanging, than if I try thinking of new paths I might follow if I can get a 75% grade in this class.”


He kissed her forehead. “Think bigger. I’ll return at 10.”


***


Challenge summary: This story has the first 50 decimal digits of the series of Pi. Each paragraph has not only the corresponding next-in-series number or number pair – either outright/buried in the text or as a homonym – but each paragraph also has that same number of words. As an added challenge, I avoided using the words "one" and "to/too" when there wasn't a 1 or 2 necessary in that word group. Math is beautiful, big fan. :)


3 . 1 4 15 9 26 5 35 8 97 9 32 38 4 62 6 4 33 83 2 7 9 50 28 8 4 19 71 69 39 93 75 10...

February 17, 2023 20:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

105 comments

Nona Yobis
03:08 Feb 25, 2023

I love it! It's like a puzzle within a story. I read through it a few times, first to enjoy the story itself, then to look for all of the numbers. A fun read!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
03:12 Feb 25, 2023

Thank you very much, Nona! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Keith Maynard Jr
11:43 Feb 24, 2023

I liked it but Pi? I think you're crazy for using it.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:01 Feb 24, 2023

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
08:34 Feb 24, 2023

Wow! Not only are you a master of weaving tales super fast, you are a math person too. Deadly combination, that! You totally nailed this prompt much before some of us were struggling to understand it. And that too with a generous sprinkling of humour. Take a bow!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:56 Feb 24, 2023

Thank you, Suma - your comment is so lovely, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read and leave that! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendra Lindholm
03:48 Feb 24, 2023

Ha! I had to read your story twice with this prompt! Nice job!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
04:17 Feb 24, 2023

Thanks, Kendra! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
09:25 Feb 23, 2023

Would it surprise you that I re-read your story just to see what you wrote for each digit of pi? Probably not: you know I'm a super nerd when it comes to math. Truthfully, I re-read it with the knowledge of your concept just for the pure enjoyment of it all. You have such a creative mind, and you coupled it with fertile phrasing. This was amazing, Wendy. It puts my Fibonacci sequence tale to shame. I applaud you. The concept is fucking brilliant, the best concept I've seen for this prompt so far. You weaved a tale about American history ar...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
14:36 Feb 23, 2023

You are too kind, but there's no way this puts the screws to your Fib! As soon as I read that, I was absolutely in awe of your mastery. This prompt was made for you, but I am still glad to be at least in the same ballpark! :D Thanks, Del, this was definitely a warm-fuzzy to start my morning, and I really appreciate it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
KT George
15:07 Feb 22, 2023

This was an incredibly clever way of fulfilling the prompt. Plus, it was a relatable story! Loved the Bill & Ted reference, and the use of Nein as Nine! 🤯 I'm impressed by the creativity you achieved in a short time. Great job, Wendy!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
16:05 Feb 22, 2023

Thanks very much, Kt! I did have fun with it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
01:54 Feb 22, 2023

Very clever and creative Wendy! Honestly, when I started reading it I thought you were going for the 'writing in phrases' prompt. (This is of course due to my inability to look at the header of the story with the title and the corresponding prompt and just jump into the story). I LOVED the title. Perfect, and again, very clever wordplay. I also really enjoyed the Bill and Ted reference. I can watch the first two over and over again. Never get tired of them. A very worthy submission to the prompt indeed!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
02:03 Feb 22, 2023

Love those films! :) Thank you so much for the compliments! I had fun with it, when I didn't like any of the options at first. They grew on me. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
19:41 Feb 21, 2023

Wendy…this is truly incredible! I’ve read that prompt, and to be honest I had no idea what to do with it. I’m not even bright enough to know what Fibonnaci is 😂 I only remember algebra and geometry, and I was pretty good at those, but this? I am so in awe, not just of your ability to be able to do this, but the story was darn good too! You truly are a wonder woman in so many ways. Respect 🙏🙏

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
22:04 Feb 21, 2023

Viga, thank you so much! I am truly honored that you liked it, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such a lovely comment! :)

Reply

Viga Boland
22:53 Feb 21, 2023

I mean every word, Wendy. This isn’t idle flattery. You amaze me.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
23:30 Feb 21, 2023

Thank you. I am really touched. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Douglas W. Carr
01:34 Feb 21, 2023

Well, that was fun. Using a predefined number of words for each paragraph was a challenge for me in my story, but the benefit was that it forced next-level creativity. How did you find it?

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
01:35 Feb 21, 2023

I agree with you - it threw some truncation and expansion into the mix that wouldn't already have been there under normal circumstances. So, it was a creative exercise which I enjoyed, in the end. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A Pattenden
17:11 Feb 20, 2023

Not only is the math spot on, it was great fun to read as well! I bet it was fun to construct. Loved the 9 = Nein detail. Fantastic!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:19 Feb 20, 2023

Thanks, Anja! Glad you enjoyed it - and yeah, it was fun, once I finally landed on an idea. The prompts this week were challenging, for sure. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
12:37 Feb 20, 2023

Great interpretation of the prompt. The moment numbers were involved my brain went “no can do” but you made it effortless and funny to boot! “It seems safer and less scary if I just imagine my whole life as unchanging, than if I try thinking of new paths I might follow.” You definitely tried thinking of new paths with this one and challenged the rest of us to do the same.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:33 Feb 20, 2023

Thanks so much, Michelle - appreciate you taking the time to read and leave such a lovely review! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
11:16 Feb 20, 2023

I remember learning about the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria from School of Rock. Nice way to sneak the numbers in. Cheeky use of German for the nines.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:32 Feb 20, 2023

hehe Thanks, Graham! :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:43 Feb 20, 2023

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
07:31 Feb 20, 2023

Fantastic! A mathematical masterpiece! Archimedes would be proud! Kudos!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
15:30 Feb 20, 2023

Thanks so much, Roger! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dan Coglianese
00:45 Feb 20, 2023

Wow! So clever! Really nicely done. This was a fun read. I picked up the pattern immediately. "Nein!" Haha, I love the girl's personality.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:49 Feb 20, 2023

hehe Thanks so much, Dan! :) I figured a few people wouldn't be fooled - the start was the roughest part, though, so kudos! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
18:48 Feb 19, 2023

Brilliant! A funny and clever response to the prompt. And given that it is math, not what one would call an area of strength for this reader, easy to read. May I add an additional hats of to your for this line: “Sure: you’re saying it like a national embarrassment,”

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
20:08 Feb 19, 2023

rofl Thank you, that line made me laugh when I wrote it. :D Appreciate the kind review, Laurel! Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Samsara Lind
18:25 Feb 19, 2023

What a creative way to respond to the prompt!

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
18:31 Feb 19, 2023

Thank you, Samsara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Frank Lester
17:33 Feb 19, 2023

Clever! I like math, too. However, I do have my limits. I didn't catch the connection until you spelled it out at the end and then I checked out the first paragraphs. Clever. I enjoyed the story as well. I remember those days with my son. Thanks for sharing it. Stay well.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
19:35 Feb 19, 2023

hehe Thank you, Frank! Math is sneaky like that, in my opinion! *grin* Appreciate the lovely review!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
17:20 Feb 19, 2023

An enjoyable, touching story, and a clever use of the prompt! I was thinking of pi myself, but I got tripped up on the zeros because I was only thinking of single digits. Combining some of them into twos is brilliant, handling that issue and allowing bigger paragraphs too. The story is something I'm sure most have/will go through. Good characterization with using humour to hide her worries, and how the sagacious 19 year old is now far too world-wise for mere highschoolers :) It's an interesting conundrum, too. There's a lot of value in gett...

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:37 Feb 19, 2023

No doubt :). Thank you so much, Michał - I am always excited to read your reviews, and very satisfied and touched after having done so! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
04:22 Feb 19, 2023

great story! to me math has always been a nightmare. :) I like how you added the German part in that, with all the 'neins'.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:51 Feb 19, 2023

Thank you so much, Lilah! I appreciate the kind review! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Martyn
02:28 Feb 19, 2023

I'm eating this up! What a playful way to use this prompt! Loved the natural feel to the dialogue.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
17:52 Feb 19, 2023

hahah! Loved the pun :). Thanks, Sarah!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.