95 comments

Drama Romance

“It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat”

That’s the thought that went through my head as I sat there holding her in my arms, contemplating on whether I should go out there in that storm.

“What if I died?” “What will happen to Elle if I just leave?” “What if I don’t get it?” “It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat”

When that thought came along I knew I had to go.

I KNOW, I’m a terrible person! I know it! Elle is gonna be so upset when she wakes up– if she wakes up that is. I am betting that she will not wake up until I get back, she is a heavy sleeper.

I really didn’t wanna go like that, leave her there all alone. I mean I already told her I wouldn’t go and now I am pushing my way through the heavy winds like a maniac. But as I sat there, the news flashed red and yellow saying that the weather would get even worse so if we needed anything now would be the time. Sooner or later I guess?

I didn’t wake her up cause I knew she would tell me no. But I have too, if the weather is gonna get worse I need to get everything we need now, I need to protect her. As the man of the house isn’t this my duty? I put up the designs hoping they would save me from Elle’s soon anger when I get home. I have never personally been attacked by Elle but after seeing that sight in school I decided I would never get on her bad side… so much for that.

My leg trips on black ice and I fall face front on the ground. Luckily I move my face to the left so at least my teeth are safe. My cheek bone? Not so much. Ugh, I grunt as I get up, the wind blazing, slapping my face. I’m not used to this, I’m not used to caring so much about someone. Since we Thompsons don’t exactly care…but look at me going through a blizzard for her.

I push my way through the storm, all stores will close at 12 due to the storm it was 11:15 when I left, it should be around 11:25 or 35 right about now. My eyes catch a glint of light in a store, I push my way over there reaching my hand out to grab the handle of the door. My hand grabs it but my numb fingers are weak and I release my hand tiredly. I reach once more grabbing it with all of my strength and I push myself inside the store.

The lights flicker on. And I breathe in the warm air conditioner which probably isn’t healthy, rubbing my hands together as I shake the snow off of me. I pull a hand through my now wet hair

“Oh that was sooooo hot” the girl who runs the store aka the girl Elle doesn’t like, is standing there staring with her big brown eyes.

“Which is probably ironic since its super cold right now butttt– hey where are you going!?” she yells after me as I walk away from her. I don’t mean to be rude but I am kind of in a hurry anyways.

“Soooo where’s ya girlfriend?” she asks. Ugh shes chatty, just like Elle said.

“Wife” I correct her giving her a side eye.

“Right, right!” she says. I click my hand on the shelf pulling out a box of Ibuprofen, that should help with the sour throat. I get 2 packs of cough drops. No actually 4 packs should be a better choice since I am pretty sure I am going to get a cold too. I should get more Ibuprofen too.

“Ya know the storm is getting worse right?” she asks me. I forgot she was even here.

“Yeah? I’ll get back okay. You?” I ask her as I grab a couple cans soup and a bag of chips, I should get yogurt too. My eyes glance on a heater that’s for sale.

“Oh no I live here, top floor actually” she says as I walk right past her looking at the heater, this would come in handy.

“Oh.” We will probably be staying here past our honeymoon. Not that I’m complaining, this place is way more peaceful plus its far…far…away from our parents. I love my parents but– they are in our business. I don’t like that.

"Yeah my parents are sooo lame for sending me here, this place is even more wack. BUT! If I had known there would be cute boys here I woulda came sooner" she says in an attempt to change her voice.

“Oh I see” I respond back deciding to take the heater with me. Yeah I’m taking this.

“ARE YOU EVEN LISTENING!”

“Yeah. I’m ready to check out now though”

“You have such a non caring personality but you care so much for her, I don’t see why.” she rolls her eyes. “I mean its clear that you only said what you said the other day cause she doesn’t like me…or whatever. I don’t like her either, you can tell her that. But I don’t understand why you care about her though…which is weird cause I allllwaaayyyyss literally always know why someone likes someone, but I just can’t figure you out-” she blabs on and I stop listening from there.

I’m not quite sure why I like Elle or why I feel the way I do, I never really spent time thinking about it. All I know is I enjoy her. I like being around her…for some reason she makes me happy. But why? Its not like I understand these feelings its not like I ever imagined myself going through a storm for her. Its not like I ever imagined kissing her…this is just…stupid. But yet I love it. I love this feeling and I don’t think I will ever let it go. Its not possible.

“I don’t think that’s any of your business though” I say cocking my head to the side. “Are you gonna check me out or not I don’t have all day.”

“Check you out? Oh darling, I have already done that.” she says raising her eyebrows with a grin.

“Anyways.” I say walking past her. That’s not what I meant, she’s annoying. We really need to find another store to go too.

Fine!” she says loudly and whips out her phone I can hear her long fingernails crackling against the screen.

I have been lucky so far, I went through the storm without Elle noticing, I also found this store and I have gotten everything I needed. Now I just need to pay and get home. You would think getting home would be the best part but I am not exactly excited to face the danger waiting for me at home… lets just hope for the best.

The lady or girl ring up my stuff. Her hair is in a tight slick pony tail and yeah that’s all I saw before I lost interest. I can’t wait to see Elle, to get back to her.

“I noticed before but…your cheek” the lady or girl says reaching up her hand. I push it away. My cheek is probably bruised from the fall earlier.

“Please don’t touch me.” I say in a strict tone. I don’t think I like her very much. She seems very…manipulative, and it seems like she covers it up by the talking, she talks so much that you think there is nothing more to her than that. Its like she wants you to feel like she has told you everything about her while she keeps her real goals to herself. Eventually she’ll get what she wants from you. I know she won’t get me like that since she’s easy to read but as for Elle…

“Okay calm down I was just saying” she says rolling her eyes. “Here you are prince, have a safe nice trip home to your ‘wife’. I hope she recovers from her cold um– safely.” she says with a tone that says other wise. Oh well. I don’t really care. I take the bag from her hand. How did she even know Elle had a cold?

“Thanks” I mutter as I give her the money. I walk to the door and watch as the winds blow dangerously.

“Ya can always stay here if you want I’m sure your ‘wife’ wouldn’t mind” her voice teasing. One that doesn’t really bother me. I pull out my phone to find about 15 messages and counting from Elle.

“Where are you!?”

“Please, please tell me your okay”

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO GO! WHY WOULD YOU GO AND GO!”

“Ben…please reply…please…”

BEN! YOU FREAKING–* **** If I find your body in the snow somewhere I swear I will kill you in your death! I DON’T CARE! ALRIght!

And the rest of the messages go the same way. Ahh love it when she gets mad she’s like a cute little harmful hamster. Yes, harmful. Another message pops up…

“Thats it, I’m going to find you.”

Ah no!

“No, NO STAY INSIDE! I’m fine! I promise I’m coming.” I type with worry but I know deep down inside, I’m so happy she’s worried about me. Little things like this make me happy now.

“Are you sure your okay? Will you be okay?”

“Yeah, I promise.”

I take a breath and push open the door releasing the cold air as it slashes my face.

The air is colder, harsher, the snow is piling up I can barely see my boots in the snow. I cover my face trying to brace myself. Dang it! I should have– I should have what? I’m doing everything I said I would do. I just need to get to the house safely. To Danielle, that’s all. The wind slashes my face once more, my face is numb, my fingers are the only thing telling me that I am alive because I wrapped the bag of stuff around my fingers so tightly.

I need to get home to her.

To Elle.

To Danielle.

Just let me get there in one piece.

Just let me see that face, that smile, one last–

Wait… why am I talking like I’m dead? No. In times like this I remember that quote again–

“It doesn’t count if you’re already planning your defeat”

November 05, 2020 01:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

95 comments

01:39 Nov 05, 2020

Hey guys! Feels like its been awhile...yeah I missed yall too. I don't really do thriller or Halloween (I just eat the candy) so I couldn't post that week. Like always I shall talk awayyy. THIS WILL BE LONG! You don't have to readdd😂😂its like my personal diary or something for my books - See guyss it wasn't THAT much of a cliffhanger! I mean...don't kill me😅😅 - I'm actually soo surprised that I finished this on time! For once. Cause like last time I had a story I wanted to put out but then I had a ton of homework due at the SAME TIM...

Reply

Amany Sayed
03:49 Nov 05, 2020

BIG PLANS? WHAT PLANS? I NEED THE NEXT ONE ASAP THIS WAS SO SHORRRRTTTT I SADDDD

Reply

04:37 Nov 05, 2020

Hehe they are still in progress..😌 I actually wanted to write Elle's part this week but none of the prompts fit it...so either next week or something. Patience Amany *virtual pats on the back*😂😂

Reply

Ru .
04:48 Nov 05, 2020

I see I've taught Ugochi well, my pupil has evolved. By the way, check out my bio and let me know what you are.

Reply

04:53 Nov 05, 2020

I learned from the best, of course!😌 And okaayyy!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
05:13 Nov 05, 2020

I have a piece of all of them buttt I am Snow White through and through. Like there is no denying it😂like everything about it is me. I am the mom friend, I literally have no storage on my phone right now..I don't do parties but if I did I would be the sober one. Like thats me right there😂

Reply

Ru .
05:15 Nov 05, 2020

Yay, I'm so happy, I mean no one has said Snow White yet. You're unique, besides you're Snow aren't you? And yes, I believe parts of all of us are scattered here and there among the fairytales.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Amany Sayed
04:46 Nov 05, 2020

Sigh. F i n e.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Great story!!

Reply

01:40 Nov 06, 2020

Thank you!! Oh I remember you! I wanted to read some of your stories but was busy and I accidentally ex-ed out of your profile I'll probably visit there sometime and comment! Thank you for reading!!

Reply

No problem! :)

Reply

04:44 Nov 06, 2020

Would you mind liking the story too? Thank youuu!

Reply

Show 0 replies

I actually just did!!

Reply

13:31 Nov 06, 2020

Thank ya!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:40 Nov 05, 2020

Wow! Another amazing story from you. This was really emotional and descriptive and well written and just really really really really really really really (x infinity) good.

Reply

04:34 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you sooo much Blair!!

Reply

00:24 Nov 07, 2020

New story out. Yay! It's definitely not my favorite ever but I would still love it if you could check it outtttttttt.

Reply

01:21 Nov 07, 2020

Yay! I'll check it out when I get the time!!

Reply

02:39 Nov 07, 2020

Okay! Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:52 Nov 05, 2020

Of course! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
02:08 Nov 05, 2020

This is good.

Reply

02:34 Nov 05, 2020

Thank you Catarina!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
14:58 Nov 24, 2020

And in the ending of part 5 it was written that Ben dissappears. I was soooo sad because I thought that Elle was dreaming all of it the whole time and that it was not the real thing. But now I am happy to know that it was not a dream. Glad it's the reality.

Reply

08:02 Nov 25, 2020

Haha, everyone was freaking out about that part cause like I hadn't wrote a part 6 yet. Its so crazy how so many of yall including you like it so much!

Reply

ALINA Manha
17:32 Nov 25, 2020

I know, I was one of the people who were freaking out 🤣 You wanna know why we like it so much? Because you wrote it sooo good (×infinite) I loved it and so do the others. 😍 You have done a great job writing this. It takes real talent like yours to write a story like this. I am sooo amazed.🤯 I wish I could write like you. I am still learning so I hope that in the future I can be a great writer like yourself. I love your writing style and the stories. 😭😭

Reply

19:51 Nov 25, 2020

WOWWW really? Like meeeee? I am so flattered and happy you want to write like me! But honestly you have your good points and there are somethings that I would love to write the way you do! But honestly, I was in a crappy mood and this just made me so happy!! Aw! I'll keep on reading your stuff and will try to help you get to that point where your proud of your writing!

Reply

ALINA Manha
20:12 Nov 25, 2020

Yes! Really. Yup! you read it right. I am glad you are happy. You should be. Awww, thanks. I am glad I could make you happy. Thank you sooooooo much. I would really like it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
14:52 Nov 24, 2020

Hi! Ugochi. 👋🏻 I was waiting for part 6 ever since I finished part 5. And now I am waiting for part 7. This one was soo good, I loved it like I loved all the other 5 parts. I can't tell you how much I love this sequel. It's written so well and it's amazing, awesome, fantastic and anything good you can think of. Hope you write more like this one. Keep writing and have a great day ahead. ~ALINA

Reply

17:18 Nov 24, 2020

Hey Alina! Thank you so muchh!! I'm so happy you enjoy it! And hehe, when I find a good prompt I will write part 7 Tank youu for reading so much of my stories!! Same to youuu!

Reply

ALINA Manha
17:42 Nov 24, 2020

Your welcome! 😳 The pleasure was all mine. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
14:35 Nov 05, 2020

Ahhh Ugochi I love this!! As always, of course! And I would love it if you'd make me a book cover! Thank you for offering! I saw yours and my jaw literally dropped. :D The title is Love, Camellia and you can check out the description on my NaNo page. Thank you so much for the offer, and no rush! ;) - Felicity

Reply

19:05 Nov 05, 2020

Thank youuu so much! Ah my first order😌 lets hope I don't mess this up. And thank youu Sooo I got started right when I saw your message..and its so much dfferent from your other cover. Your summary gave me fading vibes sooooo I did it. And I hope you like it BUT if you don't you won't hurt my feelings..I'LL JUST DO BETTER! but how do I send this to you? Maybe email?

Reply

Felicity Anne
19:14 Nov 05, 2020

Thanks so much, Ugochi! I can not give you my email (it's nothing personal, I'm just not allowed to give anyone my email), but can you send it to me on canva? I'll see if I can friend you on Canva!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Felicity Anne
19:17 Nov 05, 2020

Okay so I just got on, and you can actually make all canva things 'sharable' with a sharable link. You go to your designs, and then you hover over a design and a grey box with three white dots show up. If you click on it, and drop-down menu shows up. One of the options is "Get shareable link." When you click on it, it copies it! You can send the link to me on here!

Reply

19:19 Nov 05, 2020

https://www.canva.com/design/DAEMqcZyBCo/7gHjILdXM4riRf2fxs9zLQ/view?utm_content=DAEMqcZyBCo&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=homepage_design_menu Alrighty here ya go! And no problem!

Reply

Felicity Anne
19:23 Nov 05, 2020

Ahhhhh I love it!!!!!!

Reply

19:27 Nov 05, 2020

REALLYYY?? OMG🤧🤧 That is such a relief. Ah I'm so happy you like it!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
19:26 Nov 05, 2020

By the way, what is your username on Canva? Do you want to be friends on there?

Reply

19:30 Nov 05, 2020

Yeah yeah, it um Ugochi Nwauwau Yes with the 'u' at the end it was an accident😂its starting to grow on me

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Amany Sayed
03:09 Sep 05, 2021

Awww, I miss this series!

Reply

02:30 Sep 09, 2021

Sammmeee, I really need to get back to writing it and stuff🥺

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C.J Dunstall
01:08 Dec 07, 2020

Hey ugochi Its been ages. Love the story. always love it when guys do anything for you. How r u anyways? I heard on the news that covid is getting pretty bad 4 u guys. Hope ur well - CJ

Reply

02:08 Dec 07, 2020

It hassss! Hey CJ! And thank you! Oh yeah, its been terrible, and the Thanksgiving break(not sure if yall celebrate that-) But the thanksgiving break has been making it worse! But I myself am fine, life is moving on and I am slowly trying to keep up! How about you?

Reply

C.J Dunstall
02:16 Dec 07, 2020

OMG!!! how horrible. no we dont celebrate thanksgiving. Im good. this Sunday 13th heath and I will have been together for 1 YEAR!!!. Im now year 10. Well sorta. we have headstart (last week school is next year practise)

Reply

04:57 Dec 07, 2020

Yes! And I had a feeling! OHHH Happy early 1 year!! And ouu I'm in 10th too, but time moves differently over there so I understand Oh and do they spell it that way where you live or was that a mistake? I am talking about 'practice'

Reply

C.J Dunstall
23:07 Dec 07, 2020

Umm yeah I think it may have been a mistake I dunno. it depends on the day as to how I spell it I guess. My mum always tells me I talk and spell like an American half the time and the other half she doesn't even know. EEE yay I happy I have you as my friend. Heath is pretty sad atm cause we don't have any of the same classes together. What sort of electives do you have? Electives as in classes other than English and maths.

Reply

05:39 Dec 08, 2020

Ohh, I just think its cool when other countries spell things differently, like in Africa they spell Color as Colour, and in America its Color. Meee too! Aww, well I mean yall still see each other after school right? I take Chinese, Um Civics, Chemistry, and Visual Arts. How about you?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
01:10 Nov 08, 2020

This is the best one yet! I think you used the quote damn well—it’s not just something you threw in at the start, but serves as the thematic basis for this story and the series as a whole. Kudos 😙

Reply

02:42 Nov 08, 2020

Thank youu!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:29 Nov 07, 2020

Could ya maybe help me for a new story I'm trying to write? its kinda with the alien prompt

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:23 Nov 06, 2020

U-go-chi!! I LOVE THIS!! It's so full of emotion and heart!! This deserves a WIN!! (ps, if you wouldn't mind checking out my new story, it would mean so much!! thank you!) I'm gonna upvote you!

Reply

04:44 Nov 06, 2020

AWww thank youuu so so much Kylie! Wow the win? AHhh that means so much! Thank you for upvoting meee! I will read your story and do the same!!!

Reply

04:47 Nov 06, 2020

Aww, thank you so much!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

AHHHH YOUR BIO — IT’S SOOOO AESTHETICALLY PLEASING GAH I’M GOING TO FAINT OF SATISFACTION AH AH AHHHHHHHHHHH Thanks for making my day ~ Week ~ Month ~ YEAR GAH IT’S JUST SO GOOD

Reply

02:42 Nov 06, 2020

AHH thank you so much Aerin! I was trying so hard to make it Aesthetic then I gave up cause I thought it didn't look aesthetic but thank youuuu this made my day, and week and month AND YEAR!!!😂 THANK YOUUU!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
00:48 Nov 06, 2020

Part 6 eh? Alright Snow, looks like I’m gonna have to take a deep dive through your profile before I read this

Reply

01:45 Nov 06, 2020

😂😂Haha You don't have too but you know if you want too😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
05:04 Dec 30, 2020

Ahhhhhhh. I. Need. A. Second. Partttttttt. Whens it coming out????

Reply

22:59 Dec 30, 2020

Haha thank youu! You read the whole series? WOW! Ummm, probably when I get inspiration or like when the prompts are good! Thanks for reading Abby!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
00:51 Dec 31, 2020

Yes I read the whole thing and love itttt! I hope you can come out with one soooonnnn. I need it.

Reply

07:46 Dec 31, 2020

Haha thank you Abby!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anna Mosqueda
14:07 Nov 07, 2020

Heyyy! Sorry I didn't read this yesterday, but I made it and I'm so glad that I did! I love this continuous story!! The characters are awesome, along with the imagery that you provide in the story, I could clearly see the scenes happening in my head. I was so worried that the girl in the store would do something or Ben would have to stay there because the storm was so bad. Glad that didn't happen though! Anyways, I loved it! Great job:)

Reply

16:34 Nov 07, 2020

Thank youuuu! Ah that is actually a good idea🤔🤔 Thank you Anna!

Reply

Anna Mosqueda
16:03 Nov 08, 2020

Haha no problem!:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.