118 comments

Coming of Age Fantasy Friendship

Part 2 of the War of the Elements

(Read part one first)


Luke Alverra’s POV


Only the royalty had the powers of the elements. That’s why they were so formidable. But could a regular peasant have the powers of the elements? No. That’s what my intuition tells me. But I’m the complication. The outlier. I have the power to make fire obey my will. However, sometimes it gets out of my control, and I accidentally burn things I don’t mean to.


So now I stared at this bird which my brother had given me. I supposed it was some sort of Christmas present, but a feeble attempt at one. It was evidently the worst one he had bred.


“Too runty. Like you.” But I knew he didn’t mean it. In fact, I had strong limbs with a lanky build. I had dark brown hair which covered my gold-flecked eyes. My brother in the other hand was buff with muscles that popped out protrudingly. So yes, I was a little frail, but I couldn’t eat much food without burning it. 


“I’ll try my best not to burn you alright?”

“Wheeeeewhooo!” It whistled indignantly. I laughed at him. 

“I’m Luke. Perhaps we can be friends, eh?” It felt good talking to a living thing. I had no friends, but that was partly my fault. I was so scared of my own powers that I wasn’t even sure I could have friends without accidentally burning them.   And what good would friends be? If I told them my secret, they would shy away from me, or even report me. No, better to keep my secret safe even if I stay lonely.


“I honestly don’t know how to take care of you, little friend.” I had tried feeding him roots, but he’d turned away coughing. But I had to feed him something. If I didn’t, he would die. So at dinnertime, I took the highly flammable foods that I couldn’t eat and fed them to the little bird. He seemed to like it! 


Throughout the next few days, our bond grew. I began to call him, Phoenix, due to the vibrant colors of red, orange, yellow and gold that made up his feathers. Much of my time, while I was reading, (surprisingly, books didn’t burn under my touch) Phoenix would perch on my shoulder, nuzzling me at times. It was like having a real friend for once. 


Phoenix grew fatter and his coat of feathers started to shine. He was beginning to have hold over his wings. Some times while I walked through the streets of the town, Phoenix could fly jerkily above me. At night he would cuddle on my chest, with his wing over his body. At these times I was most self conscious of my powers. I couldn’t sleep at all, for fear of burning him. 


One morning, while Phoenix went on a warmup flight around the house, I heard my brother and dad laughing maliciously.


“Ay! The runt has grown fat! He can be our Christmas feast. Tell Luke to stop reading and hurry up and skin the bird.” 


The runt. The runt has grown fat? Then it dawned on me. The runt was Phoenix. 


“Angus! Stop! No! Phoenix!” I arrived breathlessly at the kitchen where my brother held Phoenix by the legs. My heart stopped. Phoenix struggled and wriggled around, resisting. I watched with horror as my brother brought the blade down on Phoenix’s neck. 


So I did the only thing that I could possibly do. Before my eyes, a streaking fireball zoomed towards my brother. It hit him in the chest and he screamed and dropped Phoenix. 


The fire spread across Angus’ chest. My father watched with horror.


“A monster. You are a monster!” He shook a shaking finger at me with anger in his eyes. 


“My son is a monster! No, you are no son of mine! You have killed my son, you monster.”


By then, Phoenix had taken flight. He was fine. Phoenix was still alive. He circled above me and flew ahead. When I didn’t move, he circled back again and hovered above me. He wanted me to follow him. I slung my backpack across my back, hoping it had some books in it. 


As Phoenix led the path I ran behind him. I wasn’t sure for how long we ran, but soon we reached a forest. I wasn’t even sure which town we were in anymore. All I could think was that I had no family anymore. My father disowned me and I had killed my brother. My mother had died before I could remember her, as was normal in such conditions. I didn’t feel sad. I had Phoenix, and that was enough.


Suddenly, Phoenix stopped and flew onto a branch. I heard a heavy crackling of leaves and twigs from close by. I pressed myself close to a tree trunk and tried to remain quiet. The person moved even closer. He or she was right in front of the tree I was hiding behind. Please do t come any closer, I prayed.


“Shoot. I knew I shouldn’t have worn this darn dress. Dumb ball gown.” It was a girl who sounded like she was relatively my age. Perhaps she wasn’t dangerous. I was starting to calm down when she walked right in front of me. Both of us screamed at the same time. I shot fire, she shot water. The two elements dissolved each other. I stared at her in shock, and she regarded me with confusion. 


“Who are you?” We asked at the same time. 


“I come in peace.” We both declared at the same time. 


In bewilderment, we started to laugh. It felt good to laugh after all that had happened. She must’ve gone through something too. 


“I’m Luke.” I said.

“And I’m prin-  I mean, I’m Mira.” 

“Hi. You tell me about yourself first. No secrets to keep anymore.” She nodded, and began. 

“I’m Princess Mira Nobelius and my father has just been abducted...”

As we talked, Phoenix circled the air around us and landed on my shoulders.


———————————-

Heyyy! Thanks for reading! Kate’s character is coming out and I’m really rushing so I’m gonna edit this part later... 

December 25, 2020 02:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

118 comments

I really enjoy this story a lot!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:33 Dec 25, 2020

Wow thanks! omg praise from the top 10

Reply

Oh my gosh!! Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshaya ✨
17:34 Dec 31, 2020

Hi Jennie! I wanted to inform you that I joined the Marshmallows, too.

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
19:15 Dec 31, 2020

YAAAAAAS! WE AUTOMATIC BESTIES!!!!!!! You can call me Jen if you want :D

Reply

Akshaya ✨
04:07 Jan 01, 2021

Yessss!! Sure!! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WHERE 3rd PART I NEEEEEEEED IT

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:35 Dec 29, 2020

It's Kate's part, and for your backstory, you are the only one in the bloodline with apparently no powers, but it turns out that your powers are the most POWERFUL and most DANGEROUS ones in centuries, so that's why it took so long for them to mature... ok?

Reply

GASP TAHNKS YOU SO MUCH.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
16:17 Dec 30, 2020

This is an intriguing story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
01:20 Dec 30, 2020

soon bring story

Reply

That's how I was when the library closed after I returned my books. I hugged the first book I took out through "drive-up pick up", which was Harry Potter ad the Order of the Phoenix.

Reply

Hehehehehehehehheehehehehehe. XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
15:15 Jan 08, 2021

story needed and story arrived :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
✰ Jennie ✰
22:39 Dec 29, 2020

*dramatic entrance power is back!!!!!!!! (so I don't have to type on my phone lol)

Reply

YAYYAAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYAYA

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
23:44 Dec 27, 2020

I GOT DOWNVOTED

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:40 Dec 29, 2020

nooooooooooooooooooooo marshmallow police have been enacted!

Reply

MARSHMALLOWS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:23 Dec 27, 2020

JENNIE SOMEONE DOWNVOTED US! (Mostly you and I got you back to 1000)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
21:31 Dec 27, 2020

You da best!!!! Don’t fear your character’s backstory coming out when our house’s WiFi gets back (I’m typing this on my phone using hotspot)

Reply

Kate Reynolds
21:45 Dec 27, 2020

Omg did your house have a power outage or something?? And THANKS!!!

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:30 Dec 27, 2020

Yah a big rainstorm but hopefully I can get you and Celeste in the story with these prompts

Reply

Kate Reynolds
00:53 Dec 28, 2020

Oh that sucks. It's np! Take your time! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
16:35 Dec 26, 2020

YESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You captured his personality PERFECTLY!!!!! AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT LITTLE CONVO AT THE END WITH MEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're improving SO much!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:58 Dec 25, 2020

NOICE! luke and Phoenix have a nice relationship, and OH BOY i agree with pRinCeSs Mira on the gowns. I. Can't. Do. Gowns. 😁 - Amethyst

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
17:32 Dec 25, 2020

thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Mira Caplan
16:35 Dec 26, 2020

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!! Me, neither.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

WoW! Was not expecting him to murder his brother for trying to kill his bird. Just wondering-- could the dad get kind of sad as well, since the brother seems to be his favorite son? Good work!

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
17:04 Dec 31, 2020

Varsha Vimal and Jade Kingsley are Mallows now!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
02:05 Dec 31, 2020

hi friend! i'm having a writer's blooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooooooockkkkkkkkkk

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
02:10 Dec 31, 2020

i found some potential downvoters i think!!! they are pretty spammy, so I may be judging or just prejudging... but idk https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/arjun-chen/ he and his friend draco malfoy https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/draco-malfoy/ maybe im overreacting... but they seem a little sus

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Can I see the story so far? TeLl mE

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
02:11 Dec 31, 2020

pErHaPs

Reply

When Story come tho? *sorry*

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
16:48 Jan 01, 2021

today!

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
20:57 Dec 30, 2020

NEW STORY! :D

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
20:58 Dec 30, 2020

Omg yayayayaya

Reply

Kate Reynolds
20:59 Dec 30, 2020

:DDD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:18 Dec 30, 2020

I FOUND THE 2ND PART OF MY SOUL!! IMMA MARSHMALLOW TOO!! XDD

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
11:53 Dec 30, 2020

YAAAAAS LETS GOOOOO MARSHMALLOW

Reply

Sia S
12:43 Dec 30, 2020

YASSSSS GURLLLLLLL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:20 Dec 29, 2020

All of your stories are up-voted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:40 Dec 29, 2020

THANK YOU SO MUCH MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply

22:45 Dec 29, 2020

YOU ARE SO WELCOME!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
. .
21:01 Dec 29, 2020

NEW STORY

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
22:40 Dec 29, 2020

going there!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
. .
22:19 Dec 28, 2020

JENNIE. I HAVE NEWS. CELESTE AND I HAVE DECIDED TO FORM THE MARSHMALLOW DOWNVOTE POLICE TO UPVOTE PEEPS WHEN THEY DOWNVOTED. ARE YOU IN, FELLOW MALLOW?????

Reply

Show 0 replies
✰ Jennie ✰
02:32 Dec 28, 2020

Hiiii!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mira Caplan
22:57 Dec 27, 2020

JEN PART 8 IS OUTTTTTT!!!!!!!! You aren't in it YET, but I have this genius idea for your character. (And Nanika's) ENJOYYYYY

Reply

Mira Caplan
22:58 Dec 27, 2020

Btw, it's REAL dramatic and suspenseful and etc. :)

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:30 Dec 27, 2020

Omg yaaaaas me going

Reply

Mira Caplan
23:31 Dec 27, 2020

I SHIP THERAYA WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MUCH

Reply

Show 0 replies
Mira Caplan
23:31 Dec 27, 2020

I SHIP THERAYA WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY TOO MUCH

Reply

✰ Jennie ✰
23:37 Dec 27, 2020

BUT ME TOOOOOOOO

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.