A Vampire, a Graveyard, and a Witch

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about a vampire or werewolf who moves into a quiet suburban neighborhood.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Friendship Thriller


Williamsburg, Virginia

Red and orange leafed trees welcomed Vlad and his two guards as they drove down the main road to his new home. He scoffed at the absurdity of the situation. The driver, who wore a face shield, glanced at him through the rearview mirror before he looked away. Vlad tightened his jaw and glanced at the trees. The sunset hurt his eyes despite his sunglasses, and his skin tingled underneath his thick black leather jacket. The sun smacked him in his face, and he hissed before covering his skin. Why on earth did he choose Virginia? he thought.

“Oh right, because the government kicked me out of my house and the High-Council of Monsters exiled me,” he said, with a heavy Romanian accent.

“I’m sorry Vlad, but Poenari Castle is a historic site, and no one should live in a museum,” drawled the pretentious spokesperson as he stood outside of the castle, admiring the mountains and Poenari’s mazelike structure.

A growl rumbled in his throat and Vlad crossed his arms. He was supposed to be imprisoned for life at Poenari Castle after Abraham Van Helsing had trapped him there. The government couldn’t allow him to wander freely, since it could have caused unrest. The humans were angry for his years of terror and the High-Council were furious at him for tarnishing their reputation. Finally, both parties agreed on a solution: exile.

The evening turned into night and Vlad glanced outside. Halloween decorations and carved pumpkins adorned the houses that they were driving past. He frowned when he spotted the cartoonish depiction of Dracula.

Well at least it’s not Salem, he thought.

Salem was where the High-Council of Witches had established themselves after he had exiled them from Transylvania. He probably hadn't been forgiven for that yet. He cringed. It was a witch who had cursed him to be a vampire. The government had given him two options: Salem and the witches or Williamsburg and its historic sites—he chose the latter.

They reached their destination. His new house, and all the surrounding houses, were distinctly Georgian in style. They were two-story structures with rectangular windows. Over each front door was a tiled triangular roof supported by pillars, which reminded Vlad of a Roman temple. It looked old and historic, perfect for a relic like him. Vlad and his two watchdogs stepped into his new home. The scent of fresh paint wafted up his nose and his eyes teared up before he sneezed. Curse these damn vampire senses, he thought. A tap on the shoulder reminded him of his guards and the driver handed him his house keys.

“I hope you like your new home. We’ll keep in touch but just remember, under no circumstances are you allowed to leave Virginia.”

Vlad resisted the urge to roll his eyes. As if he had any other choice, he thought.

The driver tipped his head and both men left the house. Outside, the engine roared to life before it disappeared from his driveway. Vlad headed for the box closest to him.

“Well then, I better get started”, he muttered to himself.

 It took him all night to organize his house, not that he minded. He took out the Draculesti family crest from its box. It had a golden surface with an etched red dragon biting its tail. His throat tightened, gone were the glorious days of battles, and with reverence, he placed the shield above the fireplace.

He called it a day and headed for bed. Vlad placed a small box with the soil of his natal home under his bed before he switched off the lights. Despite the loud cries of crickets in his garden, his ears caught the distant noise of traffic. In an attempt to drown out the noises, he covered his head with a pillow.

As the days passed, Vlad got used to his new lifestyle. His neighborhood was quiet with occasional signs of life when people headed for work in the morning and returned in the evening. Mostly, there was blissful silence. His routine largely consisted of reading and studying Virginia or quick strolls around town as he hunted animals for their blood. Yet, I admit my life is boring, thought Vlad.

While he cleaned the back yard from fallen leaves, the hairs on the back of his neck stood up and he glanced at the house next door. All the lights were off except for the room that faced his back year. The curtains were pulled back and a woman stood at the window, watching him work. Vlad could see that she was cringing because he had caught her watching him. She threw him an embarrassed smile and closed the curtain. He cocked an eyebrow at her behavior and with a shrug, continued sweeping the fallen leaves with one eye on the window. After being caught for a second time, the woman jumped away from the window and closed the curtain

Vlad chuckled as he dumped the leaves into a trash bag. She was pretty, with dark hair and a round face. Something was familiar about her. It would be nice to talk to her and have a new friend, but he shook his head. It would only lead to heartbreak.


With his chalice filled with donated blood and a book in hand, Vlad headed for his study and briefly glanced at the calendar before he started reading. Halloween would be next week. A sharp Crack! startled Vlad and before he could figure out what had happened, there was another Crack! coming from the window Vlad stood up quickly and opened the curtains. He froze. The woman froze momentarily but then smiled and waved at him before she lowered her face shield. Curious, Vlad opened the window.

“This is a surprise,” he said uncertainly.

“Well, I’ve been dying to meet my new neighbor,” she said cheerfully, resting her arms on the windowsill. “My name’s Ayla.”

“Vlad Tep—I mean Vladimir Draculea, Vlad for short,” he said hurriedly. Well, that was close!

She smiled and tucked her dark bangs behind her ears.

“How is the neighborhood growing on you, Vlad?”

“It’s good. I love quiet neighborhoods. But overall, I’m bored, and I could use new friends.”

“I wouldn’t mind having some company in my house. Does tea sound good to you?”

Vlad hesitated and glanced at his untouched goblet. To ingest other liquids was not bothersome for him, but everything, except for blood, had no taste.

“No, I wouldn’t mind having tea. I’ll be right there,” he said, leaving his office.

On the way out, Vlad fetched his coat, which was an unnecessary element since his skin no longer registered temperatures. He only wore it for the sake of his appearance. Vlad reached the front porch of Ayla’s house and knocked on the door. Pots of lavender decorated her front porch. One pot caught his attention as it had a three-form Hecate etched on its surface. Vlad frowned. Hecate was the goddess of witchcraft. Why would she have that? A mere coincidence?

Before he could ponder over it, the door opened, and Ayla stuck her head out.

“Hey. We’re having tea in the kitchen,” said Ayla as she walked away.

Oh no. His undead heart shrank. He tried to move but his feet stubbornly remained glued to the floor. Ayla returned and cocked an eyebrow.

“Um, you may come in.”

Vlad stepped inside and closed the door behind him, he scratched the back of his neck. Ayla placed her hands on her hips.

“Um, I don’t feel comfortable stepping into someone’s house unless I’m invited. You know, manners,” he said. Nice one, Vlad.

Ayla snorted. “You’ve strange customs.”

Vlad smiled at her but on the inside, he screamed.

“Well, come on. Kitchen.”

She walked off and Vlad smacked himself in the face and hung his coat on the stand. He followed her down the hallway. On his way, he came across a large mirror, which he avoided in case Ayla noticed he lacked a reflection. In the kitchen, Ayla set down a plate with pumpkin-shaped cookies and two teacups on a table. Ugh, food, another hassle but not a problem. His hands rested on the back of a chair.

“You may seat, dummy,” said Ayla, chuckling.

He sat down and she joined him with a steamy teapot and carefully poured the tea.

“So, you’re not an American?”

“No. I’m from Romania.”

Ayla grabbed her cup and he mimicked her and drank. His tongue recoiled but his face remained impassive.

“And what brought you to Virginia? New adventures?”

“Um…yeah. I guess you could say that.”

He glanced at his hands and then raised his face. Ayla’s eyes were glued on him as she nibbled on a cookie.

“What is it, Ayla?”

“You appeared sad for a moment.”

“Well, it wasn’t my choice.”

“Care to elaborate if it’s not painful for you?”

His hands slid into his pockets and he shifted in his seat.

“Let’s just say I did things that left some people unhappy and that’s why I left Romania, but enough about me. What about you, Ayla? You don’t sound American either.”

Ayla smiled. “Well, my great-grandmother was also from Romania.”

“Really?”

“Yeah.”

They fell into an easy conversation and both shared stories about their lives. Vlad was careful enough to omit any details relating to his real identity and age. Ayla shared the same interesting, such as reading and studying, and she even helped him with details of Virginia.

“Do you have any plans on Saturday, Vlad?”

“No. Why?”

“I’m planning to go on a Ghost Tour on Saturday but I’ve no one to go with, so I wondered if you would like to accompany me. It should be terrifying.”

“I doubt anything can scare me, but they can try!”

Ayla chuckled. “I take that as a yes.”

The first colors of dawn arrived. Vlad rose and took his cup to the sink.

“I’m sorry for taking up so much of your time, Ayla.”

“Don’t worry, I’m the nocturnal type, and I enjoyed talking with you. It’s been a long while since I had someone here.”

 “I know the feeling. Well, I shall take my leave.”

Ayla followed him out of the kitchen, and they stood in the hallway as Vlad reached for his coat and paused.

“Would you like to have tea at my house on Saturday before the ghost tour?” he asked, glancing at his feet. “To repay the favor”, he added hastily.

“I would love to,” said Ayla, extending her hand.

Vlad smiled and shook her hand but cringed when Ayla gasped and released his hand.

“Your hands are cold.”

“Yeah, it’s anxiety. Well, see you on Saturday.”

Ayla waved goodbye as he dashed back to his house, but not before the sun managed to burn his hand. Vlad hissed and closed the door with a kick and inspected his burnt and bloody hand. He fetched his chalice and drank; the blood would help with the healing. His eyes landed on the window next to him. That went well, perhaps it wouldn’t hurt have a new friend. Vlad yearned for Saturday and the ghost tour. He hoped it would arrive quickly.


***

Saturday arrived. Vlad boiled the water for the tea, his ears sharp, waiting for her arrival. He fixed the sleeves and brushed any dust stuck in his coat, his sword safely strapped around his waist. While he cleaned his room, he came across his old red coat that was embroidered with golden filigree. The sleeves and neckline were trimmed with black fur. He also found his ancient sword and since they agreed to wear costumes for the tour, it was the perfect excuse to wear his old Wallachian attire.

Her heartbeat announced her arrival before the knock did. He dashed toward the door.

“Evening, Vlad.”

“Evening, Ayla. I love your costume.”

Ayla smiled. She wore a black robe with embroidered sleeves, her hair was tied in a thick braid, and around her neck was a medallion engraved with Hecate’s crossroads and three crescent moons.

“Thanks. I love your costume too.”

Vlad let her in and noticed the small pot she was carrying.

“Oh, this, it’s my welcoming gift. Lavender, good for cleansing.”

She handed the pot to Vlad; her warm fingers brushed his hand before she withdrew her touch. His jaw tightened as her frame shuddered.

“Thanks for the gift. Forgive me if I’ve no gift for you.”

“It’s ok, perhaps on our next date.”

Vlad smiled and placed the pot on the small table next to the chimney while Ayla glanced above the fireplace. She pointed at the shield.

“My family crest. House Draculesti.”

“Draculesti? As in Dracula?”

 “Yes. It belonged to my ancestor, Vlad Dracula.”

“Get out! Your ancestor was Dracula?”

Vlad simply smiled. The whistle of the teapot interrupted them, and they both made their way to the kitchen. He put on his face shield, a hindrance for him since it altered his eyesight. Once ready, they headed for William & Mary Bookstore, where the tour guide will meet them. Ayla grabbed his arm; she tapped the ruby-encrusted medallion that hung around Vlad’s neck.

“You better keep an eye on that thing. Is it real?”

“An imitation.”

As the tour began, Vlad and Ayla fell silent. The tour guide took them through Williamsburg’s haunted places. Vlad struggled with his boredom; ghosts were nothing for him. How would the group react if they discovered that a real monster was among them?

Heh, I would risk my freedom for that. Vlad smirked at the idea. They were crossing an old graveyard when shadows dancing among the tombstones caught his attention. He stopped and the medallion around his neck pulsed. Oh no, it was a worship ritual!

“What’s the matter, Vlad?”

Vlad grabbed her arm and before he could speak, their tour guide noticed the dancing group and headed toward them.

“Hey, you shouldn’t be here!”

The yell startled the group, and someone accidentally knocked the candle from the shrine. Vlad cursed. The candle hit the floor and the flame extinguished. Everyone in the tour group was swept off their feet as the worship ritual broke off. He grabbed Ayla’s arm.

“We need to leave now!” said Vlad.

The ground under their feet shook and a portal appeared. Unearthly moans and the rattle of chains seeped from the broken veil and the undead rose from their graves. Pandemonium broke loose. People ran away while the worshipers gathered their candles and fled.

“Just what we need in 2020, zombies!” the tour guide screamed as he ran away.

Vlad unsheathed his sword and slashed through the zombies, but his effort couldn’t stop them. A heavy fog descended, bringing with it the scent of death and old dust. A specter flew toward Vlad and he swung his sword, but it passed through, yet its teeth slashed his rib and stale blood poured from the wound. Vlad fell to his knees and gasped.

“Ayla watch out!”

Before the ghosts reached her, Ayla’s eyes turned bright red and she raised her hands. The ruby around Vlad’s neck pulsed and glowed. Her face morphed into a sharp-fanged skull as flames burst from her hands and burned the specters and the zombies. Her red eyes landed on him. Vlad choked. She was a strigoaică! The same as the vampire witch who had cursed him and the owner of the medallion he stole. It had to be impossible, for she was old when he exiled her centuries ago.

“Vlad behind you!”

He stabbed the undead and dashed to her side, surrounded by zombies and ghosts.

“What’s happening?”

“Full moon, Vlad. The veil between worlds is thin today and the broken ritual made it worse.”

“So now what, Ayla?”

“We close the portal.”

“I’m assuming you know how.”

“Yes, but I’ll need your help, Vlad, or should I say Dracula.”

The use of his ancient name revived the old flame of battle and his hands shook with pride once more.

“Let’s do this, Ayla.”

She burned the ghosts around her while Vlad cut off the zombies’ heads as they made it for the portal. Her eyes glowed and she thrust her hands forward, fire burst from her palms and hit the portal. She recited a spell in ancient Romanian while Vlad protected her. The specters attacked him, and their sharp teeth slashed his skin before they imploded and left pockets of mist. The portal shrunk in size until it vanished, and the zombies turned to dust.

Vlad collapsed, his limbs shook, and his throat burned. Ayla’s warm hand pressed his shoulder and she knelt next to him. She ripped off a piece of her dress and pressed it against the wound on his rib until the skin self-healed.

“How are you young? It’s been five hundred years.”

“It was my great-grandmother, Aleyah who cursed you. I’m only two hundred years old.”

“If you knew all this time, why did you talk to me? I mean, I exiled your family.”

“I’m not the type to hold grudges, Vlad.”

She hesitated and fear oozed from her pores.

“I guess this is it then.”

“That would depend. I…I don’t mind keeping in contact with you.”

Ayla smiled and relief replaced her fear.

“Like I said, I’m not one to hold a grudge.”

Vlad took off the medallion and placed it in her hand. He wrapped his hands over hers.

“Take this, my gift for our new friendship and my long-overdue apology.”

He released her hand and Ayla grasped the medallion, her face morphed, and her hair fluttered as the stone reunited with its lost family.

“You know, you’re not as horrible as my great-grandma once told me.”

“Well, I can’t blame her.”

He cleared his throat and Ayla punched his shoulder before she helped him rise. He leaned on her as they headed home. Vlad, for once, was happy with his new life in Virginia. 

October 28, 2020 14:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.