32 comments

Adventure Drama Fantasy

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Two of your traitors kept masks up over their faces. I only know the one that paid the bill for the room. If you pay for the paper and ink, I’ll gave you a sketch of the lad.” The barman pulled his shirt down, failing to hide the belly that was trying to escape at his waist.

            “Do you have an example of your sketches?” Fabian Castel asked. “I want to know what I’m paying for first.” The knight checked his tabard, which was perfectly straight as always, complementing his heroic figure.

            “All of the drawings above the booths are mine.” The barman’s hairy fingers pointed across the room to charcoal drawings on wooden boards above the benches in each corner. At the tables beneath, the patrons were playing games of strategy that looked like more complicated versions of chess.

            “They’re fine work,” said Fabian after glancing at the incredibly detailed portraits. The artist with the escaping belly bowed his head with a humble smile on his kind face. “How much for the paper and ink.

            “Three coppers if you’re from Crann, it would be four for a Carraigar.” He saw confusion on their faces. “Our coins are smaller.”

            “You should paint,” said Lupita Smith. The knight was fishing in his purse.

            “I’m a barkeep. Paints are expensive.” The man with long dark hair sighed.

            Fabian leaned in and handed over some money. “Then spend this wisely.” He gave the man a wink. The barman looked at the coin in his hand, cleared his throat and stuffed it into an inner pocket.

            “Very kind of you sir.” He bowed. “Can I get you rooms.”

            “Is the room our friends stayed in available?”

            “Yes sir.”

            “How many beds are there?”

            “Two sir.”

            “Then prepare the room and we shall be up right away.”

            “Yes sir, and I’ll start on the sketch for you.” The artist bowed to them all.

            “Thank you.”

Dawn woke Danielle with Lupita asleep, curled over her. Miss Longbow’s left arm was numb from her girlfriend’s weight. Next to them in the two beds pushed together was Fabian, snoring.

            Their fourth companion, Badru Quacey, transformed into his wolf form. Danielle had never seen it so close. He was a rake of a man and a lanky loup garou to match. He was taller in that form, with legs that seemed to bend in the wrong places. He sniffed all around the room as she stayed to watch.

            Fabian and Lupita were ordering breakfast. The knight’s amiable features soured when Mister Quacey was in his true form. Danielle knew it reminded the young man of Badru’s family, who had killed his father in the prison back home.

            She was fascinated.

            “What?” The yellow eyes of the seven-foot lycanthrope caught hers.

            “You’re incredible.”

            “Thank you. Sir Castel doesn’t see it that way.” Badru transformed back into the thin, ginger man he was usually and pulled on his clothes in a rush.

After they’d all enjoyed a middling bowl of soup with bread the quartet retraced their steps to the Church of Red Knives.

            Carl was high.

            “Have you ever had opium?” The boy’s pupils were dilated as he stared at a space to the left of anyone.

            “Come on, Northman.” Danielle lifted the blue-eyed child from his cot.

            “I wouldn’t recommend that,” said a doctor in brown robes. “He needs to rest to let the ribs heal. He should be here for at least two weeks.”

            “We need to get back to Leonor immediately to warn the queen.” Fabian shook his head. “There’s no time to waste.”

            “I can stay here. I feel great.” Carl smiled as snot dribbled out of his nose, down his face. Wincing, Danielle took his hand.

            “Are you sure? We’ll come back for you soon.”

            “Two weeks.” The doctor folded her arms. “We will look after him here.”

            “We can’t leave Carl with the same people who sent assassins after our queen.” Lupita hissed. Danielle knew from the frown that she was sleeping alone that night.

            “If he goes now, he could be crippled for life,” said the doctor, whose green eyes left no room for interpretation.

            “Do you trust these doctors?” Danielle asked a woman with grey hair and a deep wound in her leg, laying on the next bed.

            “Of course. The Church of Red Knives looks after the people. Let me tell you, there was a trader that bought up all the herbal sources for my mother’s medicine. He hiked up the cost until only the trading class could afford it. We got the money together and we prayed. No one overcharges for medicine now.” She scratched the red flesh around the gash in her ankle until one of the brown robed sisters batted the hand away.

            “I think we have to leave him now and come back later.” Miss Longbow tried to take Lupita’s brown hand, but she pulled it away.

            “I don’t abandon the people I love,” said Miss Smith.

            “Go and save your queen. I’m fine.” Carl rubbed his blonde hair. “Come back in two weeks when you’ve saved Crann, again. Go.”

            “Thank you, Carl. Stay safe.” Danielle put a hand on his shoulder.

            “No kiss?”

            Both women kissed the boy they had saved from execution.

            “Two weeks.” Lupita hugged him.

Badru, Danielle, Fabian and Lupita left Carraig City at a quick march. The rolling hills and fields beyond were a relief from the stink of the overcrowded capital. Only the Sliabh mountains and Border River stood between them and their homeland.

And the bandits.

            Nine highwaymen with axes. Their stolen armour was red with blood. One swung chain with the handcuffs still attached.

            All of them had skulls tattooed on their foreheads. They were condemned. Escaped.

            “All we wanted was money, but look at this, boys,” said the biggest of them. “Fresh meat with an escort. I get the first go.” His brown eyes were tearing off Lupita’s clothes.

            “You fucking wont.” Danielle drew her sword.

            The other three followed suit.

            “Kill the spares,” said the bandit leader.

            Standing in front of Miss Smith, Miss Longbow raised her shield and her sword. Her signature was a stab straight at the eyes, practiced ad nauseum during multiple battles on the walls of Leonor City.

            The criminals spread out around the foreigners. Four had huge wooden shields studded with iron. The leader raised his buckler, mirroring Danielle as he snuck forwards at the same pace as his allies.

            Though they were lawless thieves and rapists the band had clearly honed tactics in combat. The shield bearers formed the four points of the compass as they closed in.

            Wishing Lupita had stayed with Carl, the warrior woman slammed her shield into the studded buckler.

            Her sword hit the axe head of the enemy with a loud clang. Grunts around her were too vague for her to know Lupita was safe. Planting her feet for traction, she threw her weight into a push she had used against imperial soldiers a thousand times.

            “You’re a woman?” The man’s shock was delivered with a hint of mockery. “Maybe we’ll have some fun with you as well, after you’re dead.”

            An axe slammed into her shoulder. Wincing, she slashed out at the man. He jumped back out of range.

            The leader spat in her face.

            A man screamed behind her.

            As she blinked the saliva out of her eyes an axe blow smashed the air from her lungs. Her chainmail spread the impact across her chest but didn’t nullify the pain.

            Someone else screamed.

            Lashing out with her shield, she saw the blur of the leader slashing over it with his axe again.

            Her sword leapt at his eyes, finding his nose instead.

            He yelled.

            Someone tackled her to the ground.

            “Die!”

            The man had his knee on her shield arm. She couldn’t swing her sword to stab his chest.

            Dropping the blade, she jammed her gloved fingers into the mush of his eyes.

            Howling, he fell back.

            She tried to roll over to get to her feet. A boot hit her in the stomach. Then an axe slammed into the mail on her back.

            She grabbed the leader’s legs. He fell hard onto his back. His axe swung past her. She caught the handle and leaned down on it. He grunted as it neared his face. It touched the brow of his helmet as he tried to force it up, out of the way. She punched his bleeding nose. His eyes closed and his grip relaxed.

            Both hands brought the axe down with all her strength. She didn’t think he was dead, but he wouldn’t live long.

            “Danielle!” Lupita’s scream roused her from the fighting rage she had been sinking into. Miss Smith’s sword stabbed through what was left of the leader’s face.

            “I’m fine. Are you?”

            “I don’t fall so easily for the first man who comes along.”

            She was joking? Really? “You’re funny.” Miss Longbow took the offered hand, pulling Lupita off her feet as much as she was pulled to hers.

            “Are they all dead?”

            “Yes.” Fabian wiped his beautiful sword on the trousers of one of the bandits.

            “What the hells?” Badru asked. He had his sword in the leather armour of a corpse.

            “First thing to do is pull your blade out.” Sir Castel’s voice was balm, soothing their frayed nerves. “Then we get moving again. Queen Malin and the kingdom are still in danger. We need to go.”

The journey over the mountains was faster than it had been with injured Carl slowing them down. They were across the rope at Border River by nightfall, making camp in Crann again.

            “We should just keep going.” Danielle argued.

            “We still have a river to cross and a cloud of bad luck hanging over us. I’m glad we weren’t attacked by squid folk this time. They might be hiding in the next one. We can rest now and be in Leonor not long after sunrise. We need to rest.”

            “If we hadn’t been attacked for money, we would have made it to Leonor already.”

            “That’s true, but we were. We need to sleep. At least I do.”

            “I’ll go alone.”

            “Without me to protect you?” Petite Lupita put her hands on her hips. “You wouldn’t last an hour. I saved you back there.” She nodded towards Sliabh.

            “True.”

            “Exactly, Dan. Let’s sleep.”

            There was no point in arguing with her. Miss Smith had the uncanny habit of being right ninety-nine times out of a hundred.

            Muscles sighed with relief as she lay down in the tent. Lupita cuddled close. Looking at the sheathed sword by their side, Danielle closed her eyes and hoped the dawn would bring a better day.

January 15, 2022 04:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Jasey Lovegood
05:01 Jan 17, 2022

Hi, Graham! I've just finished reading all the parts to this series, and I have to say it's one of the best fantasy series I've read on this website. The Witcher vibes are most definitely there, and I think the world-building and the portrayal of the characters are executed wonderfully. I'd love it if you had a look at some of my stories too. I can't wait to read the next part! ~ Jasey

Reply

Graham Kinross
05:08 Jan 17, 2022

Thank you so much for reading it all. I’m amazed you got through it all. Thank you. I’m a big Witcher fan, books, games and show so it’s been a big influence. I’ll definitely have a look at your work. Do you have a favourite of your stories that you would like me to start with?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:09 Jan 18, 2022

Of course, it was so enjoyable to read! I don't mind which stories to start with, I have a couple listened on my bio if you want to have a look :)

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:19 Jan 18, 2022

Ok. I just read your graveyard romance and left a comment. It was oddly cute.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:23 Jan 18, 2022

I saw, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
20:26 Jan 16, 2022

Fine work Graham. I like the dialogue. I learn from them also.

Reply

Graham Kinross
21:00 Jan 16, 2022

Thank you. That’s very kind of you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annalisa D.
04:44 Feb 04, 2022

I enjoyed this part too. They always have something they're up against. It's an exciting story. I look forward to more.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:05 Feb 04, 2022

Thanks Annalisa. Two more to go before you’re up to date. Then I need a prompt to help me kick off the next conflict I’ve got planned or something that works for the more personal story I’ve had in mind for a while. What are you working on?

Reply

Annalisa D.
13:53 Feb 04, 2022

I look forward to reading them all. Hopefully the next prompt will work. I don't necessarily have any prompt plans yet. I'll see if they inspire ideas. I would like to add more to of my monster story with Chuck Chomsky because I think that world building helps for the longer story it's part of. Also have to get back to editing my novel.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kathleen `Woods
05:38 Jan 17, 2022

First off, Same Prompt! Cause I'm predictable. This was a surprisingly mellow read for something with this much action. I haven't read through any of your related pieces as far as I remember, but what's here stands as well as it can for the shorter format. Especially in relation to its late continuity, and my aforementioned ignorance to those related pieces. As far as the fill, I'm under the assumption that it's either Carl or the Bandits that fit the bill as the 'ordinary conflict' in this scenario. It fits either way if that informs you...

Reply

Graham Kinross
08:28 Jan 22, 2022

Thank you. The prompt for this was one of the more flexible ones for that set. They can be too specific sometimes I rebel against productivity and being told what to do.

Reply

Kathleen `Woods
12:51 Jan 22, 2022

Thanks for responding, I have to agree on the flexibility quotients on that week. I only managed two, and they were both continuations on backlog.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:51 Jan 22, 2022

Are you writing them and then twisting them to fit the prompts? I’ve been trying to do that.

Reply

Kathleen `Woods
15:58 Jan 22, 2022

Not very far in most cases, most of the Prompts are easier then this or last weeks to reformat. Like, if your starting with however many words on a 'dead prompt' that's got the Setting, Characters or Start/End in place its not usually too much once another week roles on to do a spot edit. Or you can be like me, and have a file with all the 'dead prompts' off here to cherry pick your plot from.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
L M
08:54 Nov 29, 2022

I like that it ended well deapite hinting at rape. Grim. Then optimistic in the end.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:06 Nov 29, 2022

I don’t like to depict violence against women because I agree that it can normalise it and that some people won’t see it as an indictment but as something to fetishise. It was avoided but still a topic to think about. It’s all too common in war when men thing there’s no one to stop them.

Reply

L M
09:49 Nov 30, 2022

It is too common in television. I see it many times even in shows i like.

Reply

Graham Kinross
11:15 Nov 30, 2022

Yeah. Even firefly did it…

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
12:19 Apr 15, 2022

Thank you for reading my story. If you want to keep reading you can use the link below. If you have any comments or feedback let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. https://blog.reedsy.com/short-story/00c0qv/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Aoi Yamato
03:38 Jun 05, 2023

very good.

Reply

Graham Kinross
06:10 Jun 05, 2023

Thank you. Thanks for reading so many of my stories, Aoi.

Reply

Aoi Yamato
09:12 Jun 05, 2023

i like them. welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Drizzt Donovan
13:44 Aug 07, 2023

Weird choice leaving Carl with assassins but weird for them to have a church as well that feeds locals. Like the Thousand Arrows orcs setting up a food bank. Or the drow opening up a public hospital.

Reply

Graham Kinross
13:22 Aug 08, 2023

I would put that past the drow with the big hat. He’s always working an angle.

Reply

Drizzt Donovan
23:39 Aug 12, 2023

He’s a sly one.

Reply

Graham Kinross
02:43 Aug 13, 2023

For sure. I need to read the spin off stories about him.

Reply

Drizzt Donovan
10:40 Oct 18, 2023

You should.

Reply

Graham Kinross
00:37 Oct 19, 2023

Will do.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cassie Finch
09:44 Oct 17, 2023

to be continued....

Reply

Graham Kinross
10:20 Oct 17, 2023

Always. Thanks Cassie.

Reply

Cassie Finch
04:12 Oct 25, 2023

You're welcome dude.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.