Second Chances

Submitted into Contest #54 in response to: Write a story about a TV show called "Second Chances."... view prompt

80 comments

Drama Funny

A tall woman with a small head pokes her ugly blond wig into the room. “Are you ready?” She asks, her eyes pointed at the ground so that our eyes don't meet. 

“I'm never going to be ready to see my ex again,” - I seethe, inwardly laughing at her stupid wig - "but you don't really care, so go ahead."

The woman nods, whispering into her headset. She motions for me to come towards her. The woman nods again, and opens the door of my room, glaring at me as I pass. “You better behave out there, or ELSE.” She says, covering her headset with her freshly-manicured hands. 

“What am I, a kid?! You're not my mom, so be quiet.” I retort. "Plus, I don't remember you having rights to threaten me."

The woman rolls her light brown eyes and as I pass, she walks away and mutters, “what a brat.”

I see my ex-girlfriend leaving the room across from mine. She avoids eye contact with me, chewing on her bottom lip.  

The host of the show is looking eagerly at my ex and me as he enters from the left side of the stage - where my room was. He smiles at both of us as he makes his way over to where we’re sitting. Then he turns to the audience, clapping his hands and throwing himself onto the red couch behind him.   

“Thank you for joining us today, people. I'm Wilfried Wiegand, the host of the new hit show, 'Second Chances,' a show where exes come here and try to get back together!” Wilfried says, smiling his usual Cheshire Cat smile. 

Wilfried turns towards me, a strained smile replacing the big, fake one that he had before. “What's your name?” He asks, his arm leaning against the armrest and taking up the space I have. 

“Doran Abbott,” I mumble.

Wilfried then turns to my stupid ex and asks her the same question. “And what's your name, sweetheart?”

My ex rolls her eyes, then turns to Wilfried, pursing her lips. “Name's Anzai Kiyoko,” she says, snapping her watermelon-flavored gum in Wilfried's face. The smell of the gum is overpowering, and I try not to laugh as Wilfried glares at her, making sure the audience doesn't see his narrowed eyes.

“Anyways,” He says, rolling his eyes. “State your reasons, Miss Kiyoko.” 

“Reasons for what?”

Wiegand sighs and massages his temples with his thumbs. “For wanting to get back together with Doran?”

“Oh, okay!”

“Yeah, that’s what this show is for…” Wiegand murmurs, his fingers stroking his fake beard. He’s probably contemplating his decision of being on this show, I don’t blame him. If I had to deal with people like Anzai or myself almost every day, I would go insane.     

Anzai glances at me and smiles warmly. “Well, I still love you.” She says to me, biting her lip. 

“But- you broke up with me, idiot!” I say, shaking my head and resting it against the uncomfortable red couch. “I'm not getting back together with someone who doesn't love me!” 

Wilfried stands up and stares at the crowd. “Ooh, relationship drama,” - he grins at the crowd, his voice a low whisper - “what a treat!” 

Anzai stares at Wilfried like he has a pig poking out of his nose. “What a creep,” she grumbles, her arms and legs crossed. 

I stand up, facing Wilfried. “Listen, buddy.” 

Wilfried glances at me, and his eyes are flickering in the spotlight. 

“I never asked to be on this show, so why-” I begin to ask, then make eye contact with Anzai. Her eyes are wide and her top lip is twitching in her smile. “Anzai!” I exclaim, glaring at her.

“Uhm... yes?” Anzai said, sweat sliding down her cheeks like tears. I almost chuckle as I remember that Anzai used to sweat so easily.

“I'm not getting back together with you! Why can't you just understand that?!” I tell Anzai, throwing my hands up in the air in irritation. 

Anzai's eyes start to water and her cheeks turn a blotchy red. “Doran…”

“No, I'm not going to listen to your stupid words! Stop crying, goddammit!”  

“Doran, please!”

I roll my eyes at Anzai. “What do you want?”

“Please, just give me another chance!” Anzai pleads, her medium brown eyes desperate. “I only broke up with you because your mother told me to!”

~

I remember that day like it was yesterday.


It's a term people do use a lot, but I do remember this day very clearly, as it was one of the worst days of my life.

I had called Anzai, who had been my girlfriend at the time. We sat on a bench, holding hands and talking about random topics. Anzai was fidgeting a lot, but I didn't really pay attention because I thought it was nothing.

"The sky really does look beautiful today, it's so clear." I said as I tried to break the thick wall of ice that was separating us. I didn't know why it was there, but I wanted to break it desperately. That cold, silent girl, that wasn't the Anzai I knew and loved. It was as if Anzai had made a clone with the same looks, but a different personality too.

Anzai nodded quickly, her brown eyes wide, and the faraway look that she'd had was gone - a dejected look had replaced it. Her big lips were pouted and her arms were crossed and her little eyes avoided mine. "Yeah," she said in a quiet voice.

I reached for Anzai's shoulder, but she ducked out of my grasp. "Anzai, what's wrong?" I asked, my brows furrowed.

"Doran... we need to break up. I'm sorry..."

Those words broke my heart as soon as they left her mouth. I watched silently, my eyes wide, as Anzai stood up and walked away, and her rose perfume still lingered in the air.

~

I cross my arms and lean against the table next to the couch since Mr. Wiegand here won't give me the armrest. “Likely story.”

Wilfried glances at Anzai and me with his plain brown eyes narrowed, then he turns to the audience. “Let's bring Doran's mother in and see what she says!” He exclaims, flashing the audience his 'charming' smile. Anzai leans back on the couch, rolling her eyes. 

As my mother enters, Anzai looks uncomfortable. She turns towards the audience and glares at them. 

My mom sits down next to me, glaring daggers at Anzai. 

“So, Mrs. Abbott is it true that you told Miss Kiyoko to break up with your son?” Wilfried asks.

My mom scoffs at Wilfried and turns her head, saying, “what a rude man! Doesn't even greet me like a proper gentleman!”

Wilfried rolls his eyes. “Hello, ma'am.”  

“Well, I’m afraid it’s a bit too late for that now…” My mother says, crossing her legs. “What do you want? You called me at ten in the morning! I was sleeping!”  

“Is it true?”

“Huh?”

“That you ordered Miss Kiyoko to break up with your son?” Wilfried asks, his mouth pulled into a thin line.

“Yes, I did. What’s it to you?” My mom asks, her eyes narrowing as her eyes drift from Wilfried to me. “I’ve missed you, Doran! You don’t come to visit anymore!”  

“Mom, you told Anzai to break up with me?!”  

“What’s wrong?” My mom asks, her eyes staring at me in a concerned manner. “Doran?”  

I stare at my mother, my eyes wide. Anzai reaches for my hand, laying hers on top of mine. I stare at her, at my hand. “W-what?”

“Can we get back together?” Anzai says to me.  

I shake my head slowly, glaring at Anzai. “I don’t want us to get back together.”

Anzai’s eyes widen and her eyes get glossy. They narrow at me, full of resentment. “Why?” She spits out, her mouth twisted into a frown.

August 10, 2020 00:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

80 comments

B. W.
18:25 Nov 09, 2020

I don't have much to say about this story besides its still pretty great like all of your other stories and while I have a few favorites from you, this is probably one of them ^^ This is one of my first stories that I've read for the whole second chances thing but you did a great job with that, and I also still really liked the character names. I'll give this a 10/10 :)

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
18:57 Nov 09, 2020

Thank you B! I'm glad you liked the story! What do you think about the mom? :)

Reply

B. W.
19:01 Nov 09, 2020

Hm, im not exactly sure for what I think about the mother

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:07 Nov 09, 2020

Alright, what do you think about the woman in the dressing room?

Reply

B. W.
19:09 Nov 09, 2020

actually wait, i don't really like the mother that much if that was something you were wanting to hear about her, and for the woman in the dressing room I'm not sure.

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
19:52 Nov 09, 2020

Okay! :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
✨Abby ✨
23:02 Dec 23, 2020

Heyyyy. Imma just cut to the chase. I LOVE this. This actually kinda similar to what happened to me like a week ago no joke. Anyway will there be a part 2? I really really wanna see what happens!!!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
04:30 Dec 26, 2020

Thank you! I'm so happy that you love it! Oof. Maybe... I have so many stories with expected part 2's, lol. Merry Christmas to you, sorry I'm late!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
02:10 Dec 28, 2020

Lol oof for sure. Okay I hope you doooooooooooo!!! Merry Xmas!!

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
20:52 Dec 28, 2020

For this contest, I actually wrote a part 2 of it, so :D Thanks!

Reply

✨Abby ✨
17:57 Dec 29, 2020

Omg YESSSSS. THANK YOUUUU

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
21:42 Dec 29, 2020

Lol, I dunno when I'm gonna have time to write it out on Reedsy.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.