28 comments

Holiday Contemporary

I almost wish we hadn't volunteered. But every previous year on New Year's Eve, we'd sat in the audience, watching the magic unfolding across the neighborhood lake: the streaks of light rising into the night sky, the explosions of colors, shapes, and sound, and the clouds of smoke drifting slowly away. This time was different because the people who normally took care of it had moved away and everyone else said that they were too busy. Someone had to take care of it.

“The show must go on,” as they say on Broadway.

A week before New Year's Eve, my son Jack did some research online, trying to see what was available to amateurs like ourselves and how much it would cost. With that information in hand, I drove us to the nearest fireworks vendor and, with Jack's help, bought as much as I could afford. Nothing ground-based, because they wouldn't be visible from a hundred or more feet away. Just the ones that launched into the sky. The professional-level fireworks were beyond my means (both financially and skills-wise). These would have to do. I could only hope that our neighbors in the audience wouldn't be disappointed.

The goal was to have everything set up and ready to go by midnight on New Year's Eve, and it almost didn't happen. Maybe we were trying to do too much too soon. The fireworks group that had handled the previous years' shows had known what they were doing. They'd known how long it would take to prepare and still be able to set off the fireworks at midnight. We were decidedly inexperienced.

During the day and evening, the weather refused to cooperate. When it didn't rain, it snowed, and when it didn't rain or snow, it was too windy. We'd stored the fireworks boxes in the garage, so at least they were dry, even if the weather wasn't. I was almost ready to give up, but Jack can be even more stubborn than I sometimes am. He told me to wait; the weather would clear. I wasn't as convinced, but it finally did. Just a little later than I wish it had.

Around 11 pm, we drove over to the neighborhood lake. There wasn't anyone else there yet, but we'd seen some people already leaving their homes and heading for the lake. We set up a tent on the causeway between where the fireworks used to be fired off and where the audience sat. I didn't think we could set up further away or the audience couldn't see much. We pushed the poles dug as deep into the wet ground as they would go. We put waterproof curtains around the sides of the tent. Inside the tent, we used Coleman lamps for light and organized what I'd purchased.

“Try to vary things,” Jack suggested. “Switch it up. Like the professionals do.”

“Do you think there's enough for fifteen or twenty minutes' worth?” I asked.

He nodded. “Maybe a little more than that, actually.”

“Do you think they'll be able to see what we're setting off?” I asked. “Maybe we should set up closer to the audience.”

“I think so,” he said. “And besides, for safety's sake, we need to keep a distance between us and them.”

“I just wish we had the real stuff,” I said with a sigh.

“It'll probably be just fine, Dad,” he said. “Don't worry so much.”

We used several long, narrow planter boxes, stacking them up until they looked like stretched-out pyramids. The fuses hung over the sides, so that they (hopefully) would be easy to see by flashlight beam and could be lit quickly one after the other. Hopefully without accidentally prematurely lighting some of the fuses.

“This might turn out better than I expected,” I said.

“Definitely,” Jack said and checked his watch. “And it's not even midnight yet.”

As we finished up, some of our neighbors came over to see how we were doing. They had large, long cardboard boxes in their arms. They set the boxes down on the ground and looked at our setup.

“We thought you could use some help,” they said. “Not that you need much. This looks great.”

“You can thank Jack for the online research he did,” I said.

“And Dad for buying it all,” Jack said.

They opened the boxes and we were delighted to see more professional-level fireworks. That and what we had should make for a great show. A better show than just our stuff alone would've been, I thought. They took their boxes over to the other side of the lake and started setting up there.

Precious minutes were ticking by and I felt more and more nervous. More people were arriving, sitting down on their blankets, waiting for the fireworks to begin. Some talked with each other as they pointed up at the night sky. The sky was at least staying clear. If the weather could just stay like this, everything could go as planned.

“This is cutting it close,” I said when it was a couple minutes before midnight. “I hope they'll be ready in time.”

Moments later, we saw waving from the other fireworks group.

“Thank God,” I said, relieved. “They're ready.”

“Maybe not,” Jack said cautiously. “That doesn't look like good news to me.”

The other group gestured to themselves. Jack and I ran over to see what was up.

“Something wrong?” I asked.

“You're going to have to start first,” one of our neighbors said. “This setup took us a little longer than we expected. But we should be ready to start when you're done.”

“You sure?” I asked.

They nodded.

We ran back to our setup, moved the tent and curtains out of range, and looked at each other.

“Ready?” I asked.

“Ready,” Jack said.

Trying to keep out of each other's way, we lit fuse after fuse after fuse. Fireworks leapt into the sky, with long, bright comet-like tails, then exploded above our heads. We couldn't see what it looked like; we were too busy looking down and lighting more fuses. Finally, about twenty minutes later, we lit the final fuse and looked up. The last firework's tail rose higher and higher, and then exploded in a bright burst of red. Its boom faded and Jack and I looked at each other. He gestured that we should wait.

Moments later, a larger, longer tail of sparkling light quickly climbed into the sky. It exploded much higher than ours had and with a louder boom. More tails rose into the sky, one after the other. Flowers of various colors burst into view, fading, and then replaced by golden sparkles falling like autumn leaves, then more flowers. Some flowers were small, others were very large. Some of the leaf-like sparkles were golden, others were silver. At one point, briefly, something looked like the American flag before a cloud of smoke unfortunately obscured half of it.

It was even better where we were standing than it had been last year sitting further away in the audience. We could see much more clearly the reflection of the fireworks on the lake's surface.

The final fireworks launch took our breath away. A minute of what would've been absolute chaos for Jack and me, and they handled it just fine.

The last boom in the sky faded into silence and the smoke clouds drifted away.

What I hadn't expected was what happened next: We heard applause coming from the audience. They were standing up as they applauded. Actually applauding.

“Close your mouth, Dad,” Jack said. “You're creating a draft.”

I laughed softly and closed my mouth.

“That's better,” he said.

The other fireworks group came over to us, and we lined up like actors on a stage, waving and bowing.

“Was it worth it, Dad?” Jack asked me.

“It sure was,” I said, hugging him. “It sure was.”

“Are we helping out next year, too?” he asked hopefully.

I looked at the other fireworks group. “If it's all right with you?”

They nodded. “Definitely. We make a great team.”

“But maybe we can get started a little earlier,” I suggested.

Jack half-snorted, half-laughed. “What? You don't like last-minute heroics?”

I put my hand on top of his head and rubbed my hand back and forth. “Does that answer your question?”

Turning to the other group, I shook their hands and thanked them for their last-minute hard work. Jack also shook their hands.

As the audience gathered their blankets and headed homeward, both of the fireworks groups gathered their equipment and put it in their cars.

For me, it was hard to believe what had happened tonight. It felt more like a dream than reality. We stood beside the car, looking first at the lake and then up at the sky. We could hear the sound of a jetliner passing overhead and see its blinking navigation lights as it made its approach to the airport fifty miles south of us. They'd missed a great fireworks show.

“What a wonderful way to start a new year,” Jack said.

“Couldn't ask for a better one,” I said. “Happy New Year, Son.”

“Happy New Year to you, too, Dad,” he said.

December 31, 2020 07:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

I am so sorry I got to your story so late! *since I got that out of the way... I really like the idea that you thought of a Broadway show when you think of this prompt. It occurred to me right now that this plot was actually very perfect for this prompt! Also, as I was reading this, I kept thinking about "The Greatest Showman" for some reason. Is that my fault or something? I have no clue, but your story was just amazing. I also loved the title. Just describing the entire situation in just five simple words. The. Show. Must. Go. On. Lov...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
05:01 Jan 07, 2021

No apology needed. My stories on this website aren't going anywhere. They seem to be quite willing to wait until they're read (even if it's a week or a month after they were submitted). I didn't know what the story's title was at first, but when I got about halfway through, that phrase popped into my mind. I thought, "Okay. That should work as a title." And then I had to find out where it gets mentioned in the story. I was partly inspired by the Labor Day Block Party fireworks that used to happen every year in the neighborhood where m...

Reply

Yes! Your story really did have a great idea about teamwork and the Jack (and his family) working together for the show to go on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:53 Jan 03, 2021

Well written and a bit touching. Would you like to know what led up to the story entitled Taken? So it begins is up.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
02:33 Jan 03, 2021

(To refresh my memory, I had to go back and re-read -- skim through, really -- your story, "Taken".) Despite that, I'm not sure I understand "So it begins is up". Glad you liked my story. It didn't feel like a long short-story to me (as in, not the 3000-word length kind that I usually write), but I did have to add some text to the draft when I was editing it, just to flesh it out a bit more. As far as "touching" goes, I think I was just trying to have a story where father and son are working as a team in order to do something they've nev...

Reply

04:50 Jan 03, 2021

I come from a family where dad died young. My father died of Cancer when I was 12. Up to that point I was my father's side kick. It brings back memories and expectations I hoped for if he would have survived...I feel the story, what can I say. Price of the Blood Line Theta was the prologue. So It Begins would be the second chapter here. Taken would be the third installment. So I guess you would read them in that order.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:52 Jan 03, 2021

I'm very sorry to hear that. I wish I knew what else to say. My father didn't die until I was almost 40. (My paternal grandfather died when my father was 32. My paternal grandmother died when my father was 20, I think.) I couldn't imagine living most of my life after my father died; though I did so while he was alive (one of the major disadvantages of my parents getting divorced when I was about 20) and I really regret that. I tried to make up for it when I was help take care of him (from Aug. 2006 to May 2007) and realized that I wish...

Reply

23:15 Jan 03, 2021

Understandable. My dad had a Glyoblastoma Multiform that ate radiation. That is like the worst possible Brain tumor

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:26 Jan 03, 2021

I hope your father didn't suffer long. That's really horrible to deal with. My father's bone cancer was awful enough (he had to take alot of morphine, because disintegrating bones *really* hurts; unfortunately, the more pain blocking medicine you take, the more constipation you have to deal with; so he had some - not that pleasant - medicine to take to deal with that; he said it tasted like gasoline but it worked). I'm glad he doesn't have it anymore, but I wish he hadn't had it at all. I remember talking with a guy on a Greyhound bus in...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
01:35 Jan 08, 2021

Great Story, very touching!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:33 Feb 07, 2021

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
23:34 Jan 05, 2021

Hello Philip. First, happy new year!! I really enjoyed this story - for me, it was very sentimental and sweet, and really encompassed the idea of family. It was super touching, and I really enjoyed the idea of fireworks as flowers. The father-son relationship felt super developed for a short story, and I immensely enjoyed this (if you couldn't tell from the above words :) -happy writing :D

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:10 Jan 07, 2021

Thank you. Happy New Year to you, too. I'm glad you liked the story. I don't usually write stories that are under 2000 words long, but I couldn't think of how to make it any longer. It seemed happy at the length it was at (the same thing happened with "A Blind Date"), so I left it there. I was trying to remember the last time I saw fireworks and what they'd looked like. I remembered things like showers of rain, leaves falling, and chrysanthemums spreading outward before they faded. Maybe I should've done more research into fireworks a...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
03:13 Jan 07, 2021

Well for Diwali, my community in the Chicago suburbs put on a socially distanced fireworks show, and I think you perfectly described how I remember them - cold and distant yet familiar and warm - and the emotions conveyed really tugged on my heart strings

Reply

Philip Clayberg
05:06 Jan 07, 2021

You're lucky you got to see them in-person. I saw a video of fireworks around the world at YouTube. I did miss the Seattle Space Needle fireworks on New Year's Eve (I would've had to stay up until 3 am Eastern Time to watch them), but I have videos of them from past years that I've downloaded to my computer; I can watch those again if I really want to. I'm hoping that on July 4th and next New Year's Eve, the social distancing and everything else that's happened because of the pandemic will be a distant memory and things will be back to no...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
13:43 Jan 05, 2021

I was in suspense the whole time, just waiting for something to go wrong--and really glad when it turned out well. My favorite line would have to be "Close your mouth, Dad, you're creating a draft." Enjoyed reading about a parent-child relationship that works, especially after writing "Blood Moon"!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:54 Jan 05, 2021

I wasn't so sure myself if the fictional fireworks show would turn out well. So much could've gone wrong (or not been big enough or high enough in the sky to be seen by the audience). But, I figured, in the end, it ought to turn out well. Mainly because I'm not a big fan of sad endings. I confess that I borrowed "Close your mouth ... you're creating a draft" from a Warner Brothers cartoon. I wish I could remember which cartoon. I think it was after a character's jaw fell on the floor. When I reached that point in the story, I wasn't s...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Philip Clayberg
20:55 Jan 05, 2021

I'm glad that you liked reading it. I wasn't so sure myself if the fictional fireworks show would turn out well. So much could've gone wrong (or not been big enough or high enough in the sky to be seen by the audience). But, I figured, in the end, it ought to turn out well. Mainly because I'm not a big fan of sad endings. I wanted the fictional New Year to start in a happy way. I confess that I borrowed "Close your mouth ... you're creating a draft" from a Warner Brothers cartoon. I wish I could remember which cartoon. I think it was...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Frances Reine
13:44 Dec 31, 2020

I love how you called the fireworks flowers. That was really beautiful! Happy (Early) New Year!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:57 Dec 31, 2020

Glad you liked it. I remembered reading (I don't remember how many years ago) an article on how fireworks were made and the different explosion-shapes they could make. The only shape I could remember was "chrysanthemum", so I tried to remember the fireworks shows I'd seen over the years and incorporate that as well. Btw, the lake is a real one. If you ever visit Greenbelt, Maryland, there is a lake in the neighborhood where they have their annual July 4 fireworks. I saw their fireworks one year (probably more than 20 years ago now) and ...

Reply

Frances Reine
14:26 Jan 01, 2021

thank you :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maya -
02:20 Jan 05, 2021

I might do a story with friends on Reedsy, and I would like to put you in it, so what would you want your character's personality/ physical description/ special skills/ spirit animal to be? :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
18:38 Feb 07, 2021

Sorry for the long delay in replying (the second half of January was a bit rough for me, at least emotionally). Hmm. Maybe you could make my character a Native American (Iroquois or Cherokee or Hopi). Not so much a hunter as an artist and/or musician and/or writer. Someone creative. Or maybe a medicine man. What would I look like? If I was male, I'd probably be about 6' tall (like I am in real life), not that muscular (not like a weightlifter or football player; more like a basketball player), reddish-brown skin, dark eyes. If I was ...

Reply

Maya -
00:56 Feb 08, 2021

That's fine! I hope you're doing alright! :) Ooh thanks! I already did that story but I'll add you to my next Reedsy cast! :))) One more question though, which guild: Explorers, Prophets, Artists, Inventors, or Warriors?

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:55 Feb 08, 2021

(That was weird. I tried several times to "like" your response and reply to it and kept getting "The page you're trying to access doesn't exist" whenever I clicked those buttons. But I tried just once more and they're working normally again. *sigh* I just "love" bumping into software bugs, even if they're only temporary.) I'm mostly doing okay. But I can definitely say that, unlike cats and dogs, sleeping an hour or two at a time at night (with bathroom breaks after each "nap") isn't what I call *good* sleep. It just takes more "naps"...

Reply

Maya -
14:02 Feb 10, 2021

Alright! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.