Final Words

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten seconds.... view prompt

23 comments

Drama Fiction Sad

Today was different. Instead of the regular music, a voice spoke over the speakers. We were welcomed to the last words we would ever hear.

“This store is armed with explosives. They will all detonate in 10 seconds. The doors are locked and secured with bars. Say your goodbyes.”


10…

I scrambled to my phone, if anyone deserved a proper goodbye, it was my mom.

“Why are you yelling, I’m just going outside? It’s not like I’m going to leave and never come back… I’ll be back in half an hour.”

Goodbye mom.


9…

My hands were shaking and I couldn’t hold the phone properly. It fell to the floor and the sound made me jump up. I looked around. Mothers held their kids, others were crying, some calling 911, and a few were banging at the doors, screaming for someone.

"I know we're friends and all, but you guys are so clingy. I don't talk to you for ONE day and you're all over me."

“I’m just worried for you...”

"It's annoying Allian. Don't do it again."

Goodbye Allian.


8... 

I couldn’t call her. If I did I wouldn’t be able to hang up. I switched to text mode and fell against the wall. A small tug shattered my thoughts. It was a lady. 

She looked at me with tears in her eyes. “Can you send a message?"

"Can I get help...I don't understand this at all."

"Then you should've paid attention in class."

"Please? Just for this one question?"

"Buzz off Ariel!"

I was such a jerk to everybody. I believed that if I were in the same situation they wouldn't go through trouble to help me. But now I'm sure they would. There were so many thoughts flooding through my head. But one echoed in a sickening way.

There are a lot of reasons to be sad… 

Goodbye Ariel.


7… 

“Okay...what do you want me to write?” How would I be able to send a message to my family, to everyone?

"I'm going to the supermarket, wanna come?"

"Uh no I have better things to do then go outside and get groceries with my dad."

"I'm just trying to spend some time with you...you don't understand how it feels to always be at work for so long and have everyone ignore you at home."

"No dad. I don't. Like I said earlier, I have better things to do so pick me up some chips or something."

I don't have to send a message. I don't have to write a long text saying goodbye. It's irrelevant. But the one thing I can do is tell it to them. A message they will figure out on their own. Listen to my thoughts. Listen to my apologies. Even though I won't be there to see you accept them.

...But just because there are reasons to be sad doesn’t mean… 

Goodbye Dad.


6… She looked at the floor. “Say...say that I love them. A lot.” 

Theres so much more goodbyes left...but I don't need to say them. I need to get out of here.

...It doesn’t mean you can’t be happy.


5…

Her voice began to crack up. “Say that there are a lot of things I still want to do but I...I cant.” 

There are only five seconds. But I’m sure it's enough. There are a lot of things I wont get to do, like skydive or eat macarons. But maybe, just maybe if I could find a way to get out of here.

Promise me that you...


4…

I sent the message and handed her the phone. “Goodbye.”

She smiled as a tear rolled down her cheek. “It might not mean anything..but thank you.”

It was hard to keep me from crying as well. “A-anytime..”

Ten seconds pass by fast...but I’m sure these ten seconds were a little different.

I began to run to the fire exit. It led to the roof, but I mean, this was a mall so it should work. I pushed the handlebar. It didn't open. What else could I do?? There was only 4 seconds left.

...promise me that you can stay happy...


3…

Everyone else gave up. The people slamming at the door stopped. I closed my eyes and imagined what everyone else was doing. Life goes on, whether we like it or not. Even if mine will be over. Maybe there was nothing I could do. It was hopeless. There was no miracle. Just explosives and people.

...I may have ten seconds,


2…

The speaker turned on again, the static buzzing. It was our tormentor, leaving us with our last words. Maybe this happened for a reason. It's something we all do, we know death is a possibility but when we think of it..it just sounds unrealistic. I knew that anything could happen anytime but I didn't realize that it would apply to my life. Things like that sounded so out of reach. I wish I treated everyone in a way that would leave them less hurt. I wish I was able to say goodbye. To everyone.

"Goodbye." the voice over the speaker said, a hint of laughter hiding behind it.

...but you…


1…

This is the last second. The last one I will ever have, ever live. The last breath, the last blink.

...you have the whole world. 


December 27, 2020 16:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

23 comments

Arham Ishraq
16:30 Dec 27, 2020

Sorry for the spam!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arham Ishraq
12:36 Feb 26, 2021

So you see the italic line at the end of every second thing is like the message she's pretending to send to them, like the message she would've sent but can't.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie Chan
03:15 Dec 28, 2020

aaaaaaa this is amazing arham!!!! the word count though, lmao i was thinking of doing something similar because of ash, and oh my god, you nailed this! i love how you included the main character’s thoughts, it made the story very ✨dramatic✨ this is a really interesting concept! ooh, if you did a prequel to this story explaining like how or why they got into this situation, that would be cool, lol great story, arham! also, wanna collab on a prompt?

Reply

Arham Ishraq
16:28 Dec 28, 2020

Yes I think we should!! Also the prequel is a great idea thanks for that too, also I dont think it spams anymore because I rebooted my computer and stuff so uhm yeah.

Reply

Izzie Chan
19:02 Dec 28, 2020

yayyy! uhhh so lets go on the doc later and choose? oh cool, np! lmao thank god u won’t spam anymore :P

Reply

Arham Ishraq
17:22 Dec 29, 2020

Okayyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Creed .
22:38 Mar 11, 2021

NOODLES!!!!! 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄HA!!! (you said to spam you)

Reply

Arham Ishraq
20:43 Mar 12, 2021

I love noodles!!😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄Thank you for the spam

Reply

Creed .
01:35 Mar 13, 2021

I would eat noodles everyday if I could! 🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝...

Reply

Arham Ishraq
13:00 Mar 13, 2021

Same I could live on noodles!! 🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝🍝...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

I was hoping they'd survive. But this ending is sweet, too!

Reply

Arham Ishraq
01:52 Feb 25, 2021

Aw sorry if I disappointed you 🥺

Reply

It's ok! I like both sad and happy stuff

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Barbara Eustace
17:11 Jan 11, 2021

Wonderful take on the brief, atmospheric, fast paced. Well done.

Reply

Arham Ishraq
23:22 Jan 11, 2021

Thank you Barbara I really appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
07:27 Jan 01, 2021

Ooh Noice!! I really like this one! The way you included his thoughts ratcheted up tension for me. Good job, looking forward to more! -S

Reply

Arham Ishraq
18:05 Jan 01, 2021

Eee thanks alot!!

Reply

Sia S
18:12 Jan 01, 2021

:)

Reply

Arham Ishraq
20:54 Jan 01, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
21:50 Dec 29, 2020

Heyyyy Arham! This is so good, but it didn't fit the word count! Just extend it with details and stuff, lol. Not that good of advice but- whatever Ew, IzZiE got here before me. Welp, whatever. Anyway, great job!

Reply

Arham Ishraq
23:17 Dec 30, 2020

Lol thanks!! I'm working on the

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:25 Dec 31, 2020

Alright, that's good! More details are the best! I'll let you get to it, see ya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arham Ishraq
23:17 Dec 30, 2020

Lol thanks!! I'm working on the whole detail thing, I'll update you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.