Cora's old life (part 3 of Otherworldly repairs)

Submitted into Contest #84 in response to: Start your story with a character struggling to remember the date, because every day is like the last one.... view prompt

489 comments

Fantasy Science Fiction Teens & Young Adult

How long has it been? How long has it been since that day happened? It almost feels like it just happened yesterday, but I know it didn't. All of that had to have happened a long time ago, but when?

Does he even remember me? Would he even want to remember me? He got me out of his life, just like how everyone else did...I bet he wanted to do it from the very beginning.

He should have done it from the very beginning...I'd rather not remember anything. Why do I even have to be here? I'd rather be somewhere else, I don't care if the place is dangerous or not.

I could at least try to forget though, at least for a while. Maybe I could go and...eat food! Yeah, that sounds like a good idea for right now, I don't think I've eaten today.

Wait...No, I think I did eat something earlier. Or was that yesterday? Maybe I didn't eat anything yesterday either...ugh, I'll just try to find something today, just in case. That sounds like a plan.

After searching around for what to seemed to be like three hours, which honestly it could have been. I finally managed to find food on a half-broken table nearby. I'm not sure exactly what that is, but I'm sure it's at least edible.

I know that the food here on this planet can be quite weird most of the time, but at least it's something. Now just go on and take it, you idiot! Before someone comes and steals it. Maybe it'll taste like Pizza...

I managed to snatch up the food off of the table, which then gave up on its life and collapsed on the hard ground below it. I'm not gonna try and fix that thing...why would I? Though at least getting the food was easy.

"Hey, you! What do you think you're doing with that?!" A male alien shouted from nearby, as he then began to approach me. Oh...Oh, I spoke way too soon! He's so tall...

He towered over me and he could probably squash me like a bug, at least if he wanted to. Please don't think about doing that...maybe he's actually really nice? Maybe he really likes kids?

His talons ripped the food out of my hands, which also proceeded to fly out of his hands and hit a brick wall. "Nobody gets that food, thief!" Oh dear...he's definitely not nice. He's just like everyone else, why should I even be surprised? I bet he even hates kids!

He let out a low growl before looking down at me and saying, "This is your first warning, thief! If I ever see you around here again, and it doesn't matter what you're even doing, I won't hesitate to rip you apart!"

Heh...I bet if I fought this dude then I'd win against him. Wait, Cora, what are you even thinking? I don't even have any sort of weapon to use against this dude! Though maybe I could come back later with something...

"Fine, whatever I don't care...see you later," I mumbled and pat his chest before leaving the area, which in return he gave me a low growl. He's just like everybody else...

Has it only been a few days? Has it been a few weeks? A month? A year? I wonder if anybody even misses me, especially him. Though why would they? I'm just a nobody now. Everyone just wants me gone.

No...I didn't just become a nobody after that day happened. I'm sure I've always been a nobody, I doubt anybody has ever cared for me. Why would any of this even happen if they did?

Maybe none of this stuff would have happened if I was better. If I was better at everything...and I was just better in general, would everything be fine? Maybe none of this would have happened to me.

But it's way too late to change and to try and fix all of what caused this, I won't ever be better. I'll still just be a nobody. I'll always remain a nobody.

Wait a minute, there is Time Travel, maybe I could go and...no. That's a terrible idea, why would I think of that? I doubt even Time Travel would work, I don't even know where one of the machines are...

I just have to face the facts. This is my life now. It's never going to change. Why would it? I just have to get used to all of this. I shouldn't go to anybody either, they won't do anything for me. Why would they?

I sat on the edge of a (luckily) stable roof that I had managed to climb while watching two aliens sparring below me. One male and one female, the female alien seems to be winning at the moment.

I took my eyes off of the two and looked up at the sky, which seemed to be getting quite dark. Already? Maybe it's safe enough up here for me to sleep here for tonight. It's actually quite nice right now...

Sometime tomorrow though, I'll need to try and find some food and actually eat it this time. I can probably go for a little while longer though without eating...I've still done it before a few times. I really want some Pizza though.

When I looked back down below me, both of the aliens were suddenly gone. I guess they both went back home...I bet that's really nice. Maybe it's warm and comfy.

I lay down on the roof and look up into the sky, which was mostly clear but there were a few small stars that I could manage to see. Huh, that actually looks really...beautiful. I don't think I've done this before, but maybe I just don't remember...

Even though this is a little calming, there's still something I have to wonder about. What's my future going to be like? Is anything good going to happen in it? Or will everything just be terrible?

March 06, 2021 23:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

489 comments

00:31 Mar 07, 2021

Happy 60 stories! :D

Reply

B. W.
00:34 Mar 07, 2021

Thanks ^^ Maybe I'll get to 100 stories soon

Reply

00:37 Mar 07, 2021

No problem! I'm sure you will. ^^

Reply

B. W.
00:38 Mar 07, 2021

Whenever I do get to the 100th story, do ya think I should do something special?

Reply

00:38 Mar 07, 2021

That would be cool. But what would you do?

Reply

B. W.
00:41 Mar 07, 2021

I'm not sure, do you maybe have any suggestions?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

New Thread! Riddle is: 10 fish are in a tank! 2 drown 3 die 4 swim away. How many are left??

Reply

B. W.
02:02 Mar 16, 2021

1? I dunno

Reply

No, the answer is 6 because 4 swam AWAY. But the 2 that drowned and 3 that died STAYED there, I never mentioned they got removed. Does that make sense?

Reply

B. W.
02:23 Mar 16, 2021

Oh yeah I guess it does, do you know another Riddle?

Reply

Yes ma'am. What flies around ALL day but never goes anywhere???

Reply

B. W.
03:00 Mar 16, 2021

I'm not really sure, what is it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

MOREEEE ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN AWESOME AUTHOR ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜❤️🧡💛💚💙💜YOU ARE AN ...

Reply

B. W.
22:53 Mar 12, 2021

Thanks?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

AHHH YOUR ON THE LEADERBOARDDD LEADERBOARD!

Reply

B. W.
17:26 Mar 10, 2021

I've been on the leaderboard for a long time, though thanks ^^ I haven't really been on the top 10 for a long time though.

Reply

I meant that your with the top 10! Sorry if I made that unclear.

Reply

B. W.
18:52 Mar 10, 2021

Its fine, maybe at some point you'll be in the top ten?

Reply

PFtSH, nah, that'll never happen :)

Reply

B. W.
22:18 Mar 10, 2021

It'll take a while, but I think you will at some point

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Laiba M
00:49 Mar 07, 2021

I LOVE this!!! You're SO good at writing thoughts! The way you intertwined the thoughts with in-person events was stunning~ This was perfect. I loved the beginning, middle, and end!! I was so excited to read your continuation of Otherworldly Repairs and this definitely made my day SO much better. My favorite part would have to be the beginning though!!! AMAZING job, Hope.

Reply

B. W.
01:11 Mar 07, 2021

Awww, thank you so much ^^ I'm glad that you liked this story and I'm glad that it made your day better as well :) Knowing how Cora is in the other two parts/the present, how do you feel about her and stuff with this part?

Reply

Laiba M
02:39 Mar 07, 2021

I definitely, definitely did :) I LOVED it!! It really interested me to see why she is the way she is. This backstory was PERFECT and you are AMAZING at writing thoughts and mixing them with in-person events.

Reply

B. W.
02:52 Mar 07, 2021

Whenever I get around to writing part 4 of the series and all that, whats something you'd wanna see happen in it?

Reply

Laiba M
03:01 Mar 07, 2021

A backstory of the robot and their origins!!!!

Reply

B. W.
03:47 Mar 07, 2021

Anything else?

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Aww please don't leavee :(

Reply

B. W.
03:02 Mar 09, 2021

Huh? What do ya mean? I'm not leaving Reedsy

Reply

Sorry but it (read?) sounded like it owo, my bad! Sorry!

Reply

B. W.
03:05 Mar 09, 2021

The thing in my Bio? Or do you mean something else?

Reply

Your bio. Also, do you wanna be in my story(s)?

Reply

B. W.
03:21 Mar 09, 2021

Well don't worry, I'm not leaving for a long time. And sure, I'd love to be in one of them ^^

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.