88 comments

High School Romance

Wonderful Company


It’s 9 pm, and I’m ready to cry. My best friend, Christopher, has decided that the two of us should go to the fabulous party a few blocks away. Despite my protests, Chris says social interaction is healthy for me, even if it’s once in a while. Even my mother agrees, saying, ‘Go on, lass. Parties are fun if you behave correctly. No drinking and your curfew is quarter to twelve, alright?’ Which means I’m trapped into going.


Christopher jumps up and down with excitement, shaking my shoulders as we approach Lara Tian’s house.

“This is going to be fun, Lia,”

“What if it isn’t?”

“Don’t be a sourpuss, Ophelia,” He crosses his arms, frowning. “We know all the people who are here, and it’s a chance for you to find the love of your life,” 

“Oh, please. We’re seventeen, Chris. No one’s going to find their soulmate at a venue with strobe lights and terrible music. We’re not living in a movie,”

“You never know, Lia.” Christopher winks and drags me inside. I’m instantly overcome with cheering, laughing and the booming rhythm of the music.

“Hi, Opheliaaa,” A girl staggers over to me, grinning madly.

“Hello, Chloe. You’re not drunk, are you?”

“Me?” She asks, her voice rising a few octaves higher. “Of course not! Daddy wouldn’t want that, and I would never displease him. Anyway, toodles!” She wanders off, wobbling on her stilettos. 

“Bye?” I stutter as Chris pulls me into the mob of people surrounding a table full of plastic cups.

“Ophelia! You came,” My friend Julia cries, and the others cheer.

“Wait, Jules, I didn’t know you were coming,”

“Ophelia,” she gives me a disapproving look, “you should know me better by now. I always go to parties,”

“That’s true,” I nod. An arm slings over my shoulder, and I turn to see Annie, who’s wearing a bright shade of pink lipstick.

“Hi, girly! Did you ever notice that Ophelia is such a pretty name? I wish my name was Ophelia,” She says in a singsong voice.

“Isn’t Ophelia a song?” Nigel pipes up, and I notice he’s sitting on the table, the hostess of the party in his lap.

“Oh, Ophelia. You've been on my mind girl like a drug. Oh, Ophelia. Heaven help a fool who falls in love,” Lara sings out of tune, and I chuckle.

“You get it, Lara,” I joke, and Chris bumps his shoulder into mine.

“See?” he whispers into my ear, “parties can be fun.” I watch him take Julia’s hand, and they disappear onto the dance floor. I look back to the rest of my friends but find Nigel kissing Lara intently, and Annie chatting to another girl, so I decide to roam around the party. I make up my mind to socialise, and decide it’s time to come out of “Ophelia’s little bubble”.


As soon as I decide to open up a little more, I regret it straight away. A guy is throwing up into a rubbish bag, while a girl is singing the worst rendition of Celine Dion’s ‘My Heart Will Go On’, and no one is available to talk. I sigh, walking out to the balcony, where it’s quieter, and sit in one of the hanging chairs.

“Hello,” A deep voice calls out to me, and I move my gaze from the night sky to a broad-shouldered boy, sitting in the seat next to me.

“Oh, hi. I didn’t see you there,”

“That’s okay. Are you escaping the chaos in there?” He points his thumb in the direction of the music.

“Yep. My friends invited me, but they’re all preoccupied at the moment,” I fiddle with the hem of my skirt and the boy nods.

“I know what you mean. It’ll be fun, they said. Go make some friends, or get yourself a date, they said,” He rolls his eyes. 

“That last one got me,” I laugh.

“Dexter Rogers,” The boy says, holding out his hand for me to shake. I grip it firmly and shake it. “Nice grip you got there,” He comments, and I blush.

“My mum always says I’m too rough to be a girl,” I confess, and Dexter smirks.

“My dad says I’m too soft to be a boy. Stereotypes, am I right?”

“Yeah. I’m Ophelia, by the way. Ophelia Silvera,”

“Ophelia. That’s a nice name,”

“Thanks,” I smile.

“Isn’t that the name of a song?” Dexter asks, and I chuckle.

“Yes, it is. If you want, you can find my friend Lara, and she’ll sing it to you perfectly,”

“Why do I doubt that?” Dexter laughs, and I give him a coy smile.

“Your eardrums will be blessed afterwards,” 

“I look forward to it,” he pauses for a moment. “Not to sound sketchy or anything, but do you want to go on a walk around the block with me?” He asks, and I pull out my phone, checking the time.

“We’ll come back in half an hour. I need to make sure my friends don’t get themselves killed,”

“Fair enough. Shall we?” He holds out his arm, and I take it, and he guides me through the crowd of dancers and singers.


~


“So, are you in Mr Cartville’s class?” Dexter asks me as we stroll down the quiet street, leaving the party behind.

“Nope, I’m in Ms Wright’s,”

“Ah, that would explain why I haven’t seen you very often. It would be hard not to notice a pretty girl like you,” He says, and I feel my lack of social interaction coming back to bite me. Is he flirting with me?

“Aw, you think so?” I grin, and he nods. “Which class are you in?” I ask in return.

“Mrs Brambleton’s class. It’s always chaotic,”

“Come join my class,” I offer jokingly, “11P4 is a very chill class, except for Christopher,”

“I know Christopher,” Dexter realises, and I beam.

“He’s great, isn’t he?”

“I’ve never met a guy more loyal to his friends,”

“Couldn’t have said it better,” I come to a stop, looking at the deserted playground. “What are your thoughts on monkey bars, Dexter?”

“Neutral. If they’re too low, there’s no point in me trying, my feet will touch the ground. If they’re really high, I might break my noodle arms,” He admits, and I stare at his arms, which are anything but noodles.

“Alright then. Climb on,” I hoist myself through the gaps between the bars and sit comfortably on the top of the monkey bars. “Your turn,”

“How did you even get up there that quickly?” Dexter gasps, and I smile.

“Years of practice, thanks to gymnastics,”

“That’s exciting. I might not be able to get up,”

“Come on, I believe in you,” I tease, and he pulls himself up, wrapping his legs around the bars successfully.

“Oh, that actually wasn’t too hard,” He adds as we both look at each other, then at the stars. For a little while, we sit and talk. Expressing our thoughts on school, the future, and dating lives.

“My friends are out there, getting girlfriends like it’s easy, and I’m still single,” Dexter reveals, and I can’t help but relate.

“Jules and Chris are most definitely a thing, no matter how hard they try to hide it. The same goes for Nigel and Lara. They were literally hooking up when I arrived. Annie is a special case, she doesn’t date, but everyone loves her all the same,”

“So you don’t have a special someone? If I’m allowed to ask,” He inquires softly.

“Of course you can ask, but goodness no. Who would want to date me when I don’t bring anything to the table?”

“I’m sure you do,” Dexter reassures me, but I laugh humourlessly.

“Not compared to my friends,” I confess, and Dexter shuffles a little bit closer to me, placing his hand on top of mine.

“Well, maybe you don’t need to compare yourself to your friends. You’re fine just the way you are,” He tells me, and I don’t say anything. Maybe he’s right.

“We should probably head back now,” I say, changing the subject. Dexter’s face looks the tiniest bit crestfallen, but he jumps off the monkey bars swiftly.

“Better go take care of our crazy friends, huh?” He chuckles, and I smile.

“Yeah, I suppose so. It’s nice talking to you, though,”

“You’re wonderful company, Ophelia Silvera,” Dexter compliments, and I blush.

“As are you, Dexter Rogers.” I reply, and we both head back to the party.


~


“Opheliaaaa,” Annie greets me loudly when I re-enter the house. “Where have you been, sweetheart? You missed Christopher confessing to Jules about his undying love to her,”

“I’m sure he did. Those two have been keeping their feelings in the dark for a long time,”

“What about you? Did you find anyone?” Annie asks while reapplying her lipstick. I look over to Dexter, whose hair is being ruffled by his friends as they all laugh together. I realise how hard my heart is beating when I see him smile.

“No, I don’t think so,”

“You don’t think so? Hun, you can’t lie to me. Who is it?” She smiles, linking her arm with mine.

“I- He… His name is Dexter,”

“Ooh, Dexter Rogers? Now that is a fine choice, Lia. He’s a real hottie, isn’t he? Silent and always brooding. How charming,”

“Well, I don’t like him because of his looks. He’s really nice to me, Annie,”

“Since when have you two been so cosy with each other?”

“Uh, just tonight. I’ve seen him around in school, but that’s all,”

“Aww, and to think you were almost too nervous to come tonight. Aren’t you glad you did?” 

At that moment, Dexter’s eyes glance over to me, and he smiles widely before he gets pulled away by his group of friends.

“Yeah, I am. Thanks, Annie,”

“Any time, my girl. Go after him, you might not get another chance,”

“I will. Love you, Annie.”

“There’s the Ophelia I know, coming out of her shell. Oh, and Lia?”

“Yes?”

“Christopher is looking for you,”

“Okay, thanks.”


“Ophelia!” Christopher cries, when I spot him, which isn’t too hard. He’s the life of the party. “You weren’t there, but I told Jules how I feel about her,”

“I heard. You announced your undying love, is that right?”

“It was beautiful, Lia. She said she’ll be my girlfriend,”

“Aww, Chris. That’s so sweet!”

“Now, before you avoid the subject. Where have you been all night, missy?”

“I was hanging out with someone,” 

“Someone?” Christopher gives me a look, and I playfully shove his arm.

“It’s not like that,”

“Are you sure, Lia?” My best friend asks, and I see Dexter looking my way again. When our eyes meet, he sticks out his tongue, grinning. I turn back to Christopher.

“No, I’m not sure. Can you like someone after one night of talking?”

“Depends what they’re like,”

“You know who he is, Chris,” I smile, and he puts his thinking face on.

“Hmm, okay. Is it Will?”

“Nope,”

“The other Christopher?”

“No, guess again."

“Johnny?”

“Wrong again."

“Dexter?”

“I- yeah,” I blush furiously, and Chris shakes my shoulders.

“Dexter Rogers? Woah, go Lia!” He cheers, spinning me around. “Dexter is a great guy. Man, he’s so cool. Very loyal to the people he’s close with,”

“Funny,” I laugh, “he said the same thing about you,”

“He did? Wow, that’s nice of him,” Chris grins. “Are you going to ask him out?”

“Isn’t it a bit too soon?”

“It’s never too soon when it’s the love of your life,”

“Chris!” I whine, “he’s not the love of my life!”

“But you have to admit, you like him,”

“Yes, I do. Happy?”

“Very.” A voice interrupts, and I whirl around, facing Dexter.

“Oh, hi,” I squeak, turning back to glare at Chris, but he’s already gone.

“So, Ophelia likes me, huh?”

“So what if I do?” I ask, daringly, and Dexter shrugs.

“Oh, I don’t know. Maybe she should consider telling the man in question. Just a thought,”

“You’re very smooth, Mr Rogers,”

“Am I? I thought you were the one smooth one, scaling up the monkey bars like that,”

“Oh, shush,” I laugh, and Dexter smiles.

“What do you say, Ophelia? Would you like to give me a shot?”

“Does it mean I get to race you on the monkey bars, later?”

“Perhaps,”

“Does it mean I get to see you during school?”

“It might,”

“Does it mean I get to kiss you right now?”

“It could-”

 Before he can say anything else, I press my lips onto Dexter’s, despite being surrounded by people. 

“You’re wonderful company, Ophelia Silvera,” Dexter reminds me, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

“As are you, Dexter Rogers.” I wink, before kissing him again.


May 10, 2021 09:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

88 comments

Dhwani Jain
13:37 Jun 28, 2021

Hey, I read this story earlier...how come I didn't comment on it? Cool story though! I really liked the subtle but sweet plot and the ending was also really nice. Great job! Where are you from?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:23 Jun 29, 2021

Thank you again for reading, Dhwani! I should return the favour and read some of yours. Take a guess hehe

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:33 Jun 29, 2021

I don't really know what to guess...but since you're up till now, so America is eliminated. Maybe UK?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:35 Jun 29, 2021

You're right def not America. I'm sure you can tell in my writing I'm not bc I don't spell things quite the same. Words like color without a 'u' baffles my mind. UK is a good guess but you're not right

Reply

Dhwani Jain
08:36 Jun 29, 2021

Okay.... Um, can you tell me the continent at least?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
08:41 Jun 29, 2021

Oceania

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ari Berri
16:56 May 10, 2021

This is so sweet. Nice job!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:54 May 10, 2021

Thanks so much, Ari :D Also I love ur new pfp

Reply

Ari Berri
00:28 May 11, 2021

No problem. Thanks!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:08 May 11, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jasey Lovegood
09:30 May 10, 2021

40 stories- damn. Feels like yesterday I wrote my first story. Anyway, after some aNnOyInG Writer's Block, I managed to come up with this. It's a little rushed, but I should be doing Maths work so... Enjoy :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Crows_ Garden
14:36 Mar 23, 2022

Wonderful way to forget last night. Thank you for the adorable read, Jasey!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
16:58 Mar 23, 2022

Of course, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for reading, Leo :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amel Parvez
11:19 Jun 20, 2021

Wow the ending. kinda extra sweet.

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
21:10 Jun 20, 2021

Tysm! :)

Reply

Amel Parvez
16:54 Jun 21, 2021

<3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
19:04 May 24, 2021

I love the ending. It's so romantic and sweet, and I wish my life was this cool. Fantastic work!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:37 May 24, 2021

Thanks, Em! Honestly, I wish my life was too, thank you for reading :)

Reply

14:46 May 25, 2021

:D

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
20:49 May 25, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
18:46 May 20, 2021

Cute story

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:35 May 20, 2021

Thanks so much, Charlie! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:17 May 12, 2021

Aww, this was such a cute story! The story was one of those feel-good and wholesome high school romances. Dexter and Ophelia (nice names!) seem like a great match. The dialogue was also quite realistic. Nice use of present tense as well. I also have a few critiques. I hope I’m not so late that you can’t edit! I honestly would’ve liked a bit more of Ophelia’s inner thoughts as she talked to Dexter. Especially because this story was in first person. Maybe you can add an explanation as to why Ophelia liked Dexter so much, or how she decided ...

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:01 May 13, 2021

Hey Annabelle! Thanks for the feedback, I've been super busy, and this was rushed- so some tips are really appreciated. :)

Reply

03:35 May 13, 2021

No problem. Glad I could help! How are you doing?

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
04:03 May 13, 2021

I'm so so so busy with work it's not even funny Hru?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
14:30 May 12, 2021

Oh My Gosh. this is amazing the whole thing, I was never unintrested reading this story great job :))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:42 May 13, 2021

Aw, that's so sweet! Thank you so much, Arya! I'm so happy you enjoyed reading :)

Reply

13:08 May 13, 2021

:) no problem Jasey! I really did enjoy it :))))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
22:33 May 13, 2021

Thank you again! Feel free to check out the ones I put in my bio because I like them the most :D

Reply

12:53 May 14, 2021

Of course np! I definitely will :))

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
00:22 May 15, 2021

Thank you so much! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:57 May 10, 2021

Oh, this is so cute! I love how you can change between different sorts of romance types so easily while making them... functional. The relationships in my stories are about as functional as the ones I actually have which is... depressing, lol. But back to you; great story!

Reply

Jasey Lovegood
03:07 May 11, 2021

Eeee thanks so much, Ethan! I'm glad you thought the dynamics were okay- I wasn't sure if it was alright but thanks so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.