14 comments

Crime Drama Thriller

Lindsay McBride murdered her husband. She stabbed him to death while he was trying to leave the house with their son in his arms. If Lindsay could do it all over again, she would still kill her husband. Sadly, Lindsay’s husband, Dennis, wasn’t her only victim. Lindsay also murdered her 5-year-old son, Amari. 


The little boy didn’t suffer as badly as his father, but he still died. His father’s shielding arm took most of the stabbing blows. Amari died instantly when his mother stabbed him in the neck by accident. She was aiming for his father’s face, but she severed her child’s jugular vein. Lindsay murdered people before, but she promised herself to never kill a child. She loved her son more than anything, and she attacked her husband when he told her she would never see her son again. Lindsay went berserk on her husband after he caused her to stab her little boy by accident. 


The mind of a serial killer can be irrational. Lindsay blamed her child’s death on her husband. He shouldn’t have been holding her child while she was stabbing him. It all started when Dennis found out that his wife was a serial killer. He tried to grab his son and make his escape from the house, but he was too late. He called the police, but his wife arrived at their home before the cops did. She came home from work early. Dennis didn’t expect his wife to be home so soon. He heard the news reports about the killer, and he didn’t know that the killer would be his wife. 


Lindsay became enraged after she found out her husband removed her SD card from her phone while she was sleeping. He saw all her picture files and documents. He saw the photos of her victims on the SD card. Lindsay hated her husband for hacking into her phone’s external hard-drive and finding out her dark secrets. How could he be so suspicious? She couldn’t believe that he played detective after he found a smidgen of blood on her red floral dress. Lindsay despised her husband’s attention to detail. She tried so hard to be a good wife, and this is how he repaid her. This is what Lindsay was thinking as she was stabbing her husband to death. She didn’t want her husband to see the pictures on her phone. She didn’t want him to see the mutilated naked bodies and the blood.


Lindsay wanted to maintain her image of the perfect, blonde, and beautiful trophy wife of a star NFL player and corporate businessman. Her husband’s bloodhound actions ruined everything for her. She couldn’t be the co-owner of her husband’s company. She couldn’t launch her new perfume called Glamour. No more expensive jewelry and designer dresses. No more living in a luxurious twenty bedroom home. She always knew that her husband suspected her of being a killer, but it didn’t stop him from having sex with her every other night. 


Lindsay loved her husband, sort of. She loved his celebrity, which is the only reason she married him and had a baby with him. Having a baby with him would ensure her financial security if she divorced him. But after stabbing her husband with a kitchen knife, all of Lindsay’s financial security went up in flames. 


Lindsay turned in her glamorous Versace dress for an orange prison jumpsuit. Handcuffs replaced her Gucci handbag. The life of a female prison inmate was not the life Lindsay dreamed of. She didn’t want to leave her Mediterranean style beach house to become a resident at the Miami-Dade County Women’s Detention Center. Dreams fall apart like a slice of ice cream cake sitting in the scorching summer sun. This is how Lindsay saw her dreams melting away. The only thing Lindsay felt bad about was stabbing her son by mistake. She kept seeing her son’s bright unadulterated smile and the tiny star-shaped birthmark on his chin. After she stabbed her child in the neck, she saw the light dying in his little eyes. Lindsay snatched her dead son out of her husband’s arms before running out of the house. She carried her child’s body to her car. Tears burned her eyes and she hovered over her little boy after laying his dead body across the back seat of her silver BMW. His body barely covered half of the back seat. Blood stained his miniature shorts and his green Power Rangers tank top. Lindsay had her child’s blood all over her hands and dress. She kissed her child’s stubby fingers while lingering over his face, with her shoulder-length hair touching his little forehead. Lindsay wanted to bring her child back to life. She kept touching the bloody wound on her child’s pint-sized neck. Every time she’d caress her baby’s face, she’d accidentally smear blood across his nose and lips and his trimmed, curly Afro. Lindsay crawled into her car’s back seat, and she held her son’s body against her chest for a few minutes. Since her home was near the beach, she could smell the saltwater in the ocean breeze. Her car’s rear door was still open, and the breeze washed over Lindsay’s face and her little boy’s face, which she held against her chin. 


Lindsay could hear police sirens in the distance. She forgot that her husband called the police before she killed him. Lindsay’s husband thought his towering, muscular, 250-pound frame would save him from being killed by his wife. Unfortunately, his little fashion model wife proved that size was no match against the serrated steel blade of a kitchen knife. Did Lindsay feel guilty for murdering her husband? Not really. His pretty-boy looks and his perfect white smile would annoy her. She knew her husband was a playboy. That’s why she killed the three women her husband was having sex with. She tracked down all of his mistresses. Cheating on her with one woman was bad enough, but when she found out he was seeing two other women, she made him pay for his infidelity. She left blood on her dress so her husband could find it. She left her second phone at home, knowing that her husband would hack into her phone and see the pictures of three dead women. She wanted him to know. Lindsay enjoyed finding out where each woman lived. She enjoyed pretending to be a delivery woman and surprising the women at their doorstep at night. It helped that all three of the women were single. One woman was a lawyer, and Lindsay hated lawyers. She killed each woman the same way. They’d see her FedEx uniform and assume that she was a delivery woman who needed directions. Their helpfulness got them killed. Lindsay knew she’d have them in her trap when they would open the front door. First, she’d stab them in the throat so they wouldn’t scream. Then she’d stab their eyes out. Lindsay slaughtered two of the women in their living rooms. She had to chase the third woman around her house, which irritated her because she expected the woman to drop to her knees after stabbing her in the throat. 


Killing her child was the only regret Lindsay had. The young woman never budged when she heard squad cars surrounding her BMW. She attacked one policeman when he reached into the back seat of her car, attempting to remove her dead child from her arms. Lindsay bit the police officer’s hand. She cussed at the officer after biting him and slapping him across his face. The policeman had his hands full and he had to use his taser gun on Lindsay. Two police officers had to drag Lindsay out of her car. They ripped her son out of her arms before throwing her on the hood of her car and slapping handcuffs on her wrists. Ironically, the hip hop classic, Fuk Da Police, was softly booming out of Lindsay’s BMW. When Lindsay heard Ice Cube’s iconic voice exiting out of her car, it made her more aggressive and ready to fight the policeman who was working his ass off trying to subdue her. Lindsay laid one last punch on the policeman. She nailed him in the stomach with her elbow. After she did that, she blacked out from a hard blow to the back of her head. The last thing she saw was a policewoman carrying her little boy’s body to an ambulance. 


Worse situations confronted Lindsay once she was in prison. She got into a fight in the prison cafeteria. 


“Ain’t you the bitch who killed her husband and her baby?” A fellow inmate spitted her words in Lindsay’s face. The inmate knocked Lindsay’s lunch tray out of her hand before shoving the woman to the floor, which was a huge mistake. Lindsay jumped up from the floor, tackling the woman. She drove her fist into the inmate’s throat, crushing her larynx. After Lindsay crushed the woman’s throat she hurled her to the floor. Another female inmate attacked Lindsay from behind, grabbing her hair and throwing her into a wall. Lindsay shook off the blow and she punched the inmate in the face, fracturing her nose. More women tried to gang up on Lindsay, but a prison guard broke up the brawl. The other women prisoners told the guards that Lindsay started the fight. She badly injured two inmates. One of them needed immediate surgery on her throat. 


The prison guards threw Lindsay into solitary confinement based on the false accusations. Lindsay found herself in a dark isolation chamber, which was far worse than her prison cell. The young woman only had her thoughts to keep her company. Now and then she would break down in tears while sinking to the floor. The chamber had no window. It had no bed or a toilet. It was just a dark, small chamber with soundproof walls and a vault-like door made out of thick reinforced steel.


Being alone in darkness drove Lindsay into a panic. She curled up on the floor, hugging her knees while sobbing. Lindsay kept thinking about her little boy. Mental images of his small dead body would flash in her mind. A torturous desire to hold her son in her arms would assault Lindsay. Lindsay was alone with her past sins, or so she thought. 


Her gasping and sobbing became interrupted suddenly by a disembodied voice that echoed from across the room. It was a man’s voice, and it had a familiar, sultry baritone pitch. When Lindsay heard the whispering voice, she knew it was her husband. Lindsay jumped up with her back against the wall. Her eyes struggled to find the source of her husband’s voice. The panic set in when Lindsay thought about how she stabbed her husband to death. She couldn’t believe that she was hearing his voice. 


“Dennis?” Lindsay spoke out to her husband cautiously, with her eyes searching through the darkness. Her mind told her that what spoke to her was not Dennis. There were two possibilities. Lindsay considered losing her mind as a possibility. The second possibility alerted Lindsay, telling her that the voice she heard could be the voice of a ghost. Lindsay didn’t believe in ghosts and the paranormal. She preferred to believe in the possibility that she may have lost her sanity. The disembodied voice said something else that uplifted every hair on the back of Lindsay’s neck.


“Why did you stab me?” The disembodied voice sounded warm at first, but then it became cold and aloft. There was no love in the voice anymore. The inflections in the voice gave an inhuman intonation. 


What scared Lindsay was how robotic the voice became within a matter of seconds. She could detect an underlying hostility in the voice. 


“Why did you stab me?” The disembodied voice became gravelly and dark after it repeated the question. 


“I’m—I’m sorry,” Lindsay almost lost her voice. She noticed something tall standing in the room's corner. The darkness seemed to outline the apparition. It looked like a man, but Lindsay wasn’t sure. There was a sharp object in the apparition’s hand, and Lindsay knew it was a knife from the shape of the object. Lindsay recognized the distinct muscular definition of the figure. She watched as the apparition lurched forward while dragging his left foot. 


“Why did you stab me?” The apparition’s voice sounded distorted. Lindsay finally got a good look at the monster that was dragging its feet toward her in the darkness. It was the ghost of her husband. Even though the apparition looked like her husband, something was disturbing about his facial features. Blood oozed from his eyes where his wife stabbed him. Lindsay stabbed her husband multiple times in his neck, almost decapitating him. This meant that the apparition had a contorted head that hung halfway off his neck. He had one ear missing. The ghost displayed all the stab wounds that his wife afflicted on him. Wrath resurrected Lindsay’s husband and he wanted revenge. 


“I didn’t mean to kill you! I’m sorry, baby!” Lindsay screamed at the apparition. She let out a frantic cry while turning around and banging her fists on the isolation chamber’s door. Lindsay knew that no one was going to save her. No one could hear her screams through the thick steel door. She kept banging her fists on the door while listening as the apparition’s sliding footsteps grew closer.


“Why did you stab me?” The ghost kept repeating himself. Each time he’d ask, his voice would sound more demonic. 


Lindsay whirled around, throwing her back against the door. “You cheated on me, that’s why I stabbed you! I found out you were seeing three different women, so I killed you!” Lindsay lashed out at the ghost. She swallowed hard while looking up at her dead husband who was towering over her. “I killed you and those three stupid bitches you were having sex with! All of you deserved to die!” Lindsay’s defiance shadowed her fear for a moment. Her fear quickly returned when she saw three other figures emerge from the darkness behind her dead husband. It didn’t take Lindsay long to see that the three ghostly figures were women holding knives. What sent Lindsay over the edge was when she saw a little ghostly figure emerge from behind the three female apparitions. Lindsay saw her son’s blood-stained Power Rangers tank top. She saw his small feet dragging toward her.


“WHY DID YOU STAB US!!” All the apparitions shouted at Lindsay in unison. Lindsay collapsed to the floor, sobbing like a madwoman. The apparitions kept shouting at Lindsay through their lifeless, demonic voices. Lindsay covered her face when her husband, the three women, and her little boy stood over her with sharp instruments in their hands. This is how Lindsay met her end. She braced herself for impact, but something happened.


“Alright, cut!” A movie director shouted. The room’s lights came on to reveal a film crew and a movie set. 


“Thank you!” Lindsay giggled when the camera crew applauded her performance. The apparitions who were actors helped Lindsay to her feet. Two of the actors were Lindsay’s husband and her son. 


“You did good, Mommy!” Lindsay’s son, Amari, hopped into his mother’s arms, receiving a kiss from her. “Do I look scary?” Amari whispered to his mother, causing her to giggle.


“No, you don’t look scary. You’ll never look scary to me,” Lindsay told her son before kissing the tip of his nose. Lindsay put her arm around her husband and she laughed at his look of agony, which showed behind the movie makeup and prosthetics on his face.


“I can’t wait to get this crap off my face,” Dennis told his wife after kissing her on the lips. After he kissed his son on the forehead, he looked around at the film director and the camera crew who were still applauding and praising him and his wife’s performance. Dennis wanted to enjoy the moment, but something wouldn’t let him. At unexpected times, Dennis would see a ghost. His eyes locked on to a mysterious figure that was standing amongst the camera crew, watching him. The figure was a young woman and she was clapping along with the crew members. Dennis’s heart rate increased when he saw the bloody dent in the woman’s head and her mangled arm. The woman had an exotic beauty, but her black eyes and grotesque injuries contaminated her beautiful features. Dennis knew he was looking at the ghost of a pedestrian who he accidentally killed a few months ago. She would always haunt him no matter where he went. She’d watch him and haunt his dreams along with his reality. The apparition refused to let Dennis forget what he did. Dennis knew that his drunk driving would punish him. He got out of his car to help the woman, but he panicked after he saw what his car did to her body. Dennis left the woman on the road to die.


“Babe, are you alright?” Lindsay asked when she saw her husband staring intensely at something she couldn’t see. She saw a look of horror on her husband’s face. “Dennis, what’s the matter?” Lindsay gently tugged on her husband’s arm. She gave him a confused smile when he broke out of his trance, turning to look at her.


“I’m okay, I just got lost in thought.” Dennis tried to explain his odd behavior. “Baby, I’m fine!” A nervous laugh escaped Dennis when his wife gave him a concerned look with a hint of suspicion in her eyes. Dennis looked away from his wife for a second. He turned his eyes back on where the deformed woman stood, but she vanished. 


Lindsay put her arm back around her husband’s waist. She giggled before whispering in his ear… “You had me nervous for a minute. There was a look of terror on that handsome face of yours. It was as if you were seeing an actual ghost.”

October 18, 2020 22:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Rayhan Hidayat
19:33 Nov 01, 2020

Wow, this was so thrilling the whole way through. Two plot twists in quick succession? I think that’s just your style at this point haha 😂 I love how you never hold back on the brutality. Awesome as always 😙

Reply

Skyler Woods
19:46 Nov 01, 2020

Thank u! 😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AJ Hensley
06:02 Oct 25, 2020

Wow this story took me for a ride! I loved the first twist, but will admit the second one threw me a little. I’m still undecided on whether it’s too much, or just the right amount of mind boggling! I like how I could actually hear and feel the tone and voice of the story shift after the director yelled cut. I think that can be tough for authors to do. Well done! I look forward to reading more of your work. I’d love your thoughts on my stories “Greenspace” and “Honey and Lavender”!

Reply

Skyler Woods
18:42 Oct 25, 2020

Thank you! 💟💟💟 I know that I took a chance with the twist and turns in the story. I just wanted to make the story a fun ride! 😄

Reply

AJ Hensley
18:43 Oct 25, 2020

It definitely was! Great job!

Reply

Skyler Woods
18:44 Oct 25, 2020

Thank u so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
14:09 Oct 23, 2020

Nice job, Skyler - lots of suspense in this one. I thought your opening paragraph was great. And you did such a convincing job of making me think that Lindsay was really a violent serial killer. I was not ready for the first twist - nor the second twist! You had my attention the whole way through - well done!

Reply

Skyler Woods
18:59 Oct 23, 2020

Thank you!! 💟😙 I wanted to add a twist without making the story too convoluted. I was nervous about the delivery at the end. 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
10:50 Oct 22, 2020

Bloodstained his miniature shorts - Blood stained- two words here You start with a long prologue of tell. And it condenses to, "Lindsay never wanted to kill her child, but it happened after her husband found she had killed three women. She got him, but the police arrested her and she went to prison. No longer the glamorous wife of a rich NFL player, now she was inmate 53094421." That's the point to have the fight in the prison cafeteria. The fight is too much tell, but the saved words from before mean you can show it instead. Everything a...

Reply

Skyler Woods
16:58 Oct 22, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! I know the story isn't perfect, and I do need to work on showing and not telling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
ABINAYA K
12:52 Jan 08, 2021

Are you in wattpad?

Reply

Skyler Woods
16:14 Jan 08, 2021

Unfortunately, no. But you can send your tips to this email, which is afterdarkfairytales@gmail.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Syeda Fatima
15:59 Nov 04, 2020

wow! that was one twisty ride~! i love it... will u please check out my story too? thanks

Reply

Skyler Woods
17:26 Nov 04, 2020

Sure.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.