Just One Yesterday

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a funny post-apocalyptic story.... view prompt

75 comments

Funny Friendship

Bang.

"God help us."

Bang.

"We're going to die."

Bang.

"Guys, they're going to eat us."

Bang.

"When I die, watch, my cat. You know... what's rest of her."

Bang.

We-


"Wow. Even in a post-apocalyptic world you still find a way to be overly dramatic. We are fighting for our lives, and you are breaking into a monologue, Maya, truly amaze me. Do I even want to know what the sound effects are for this time?


"Oh, Aaron, my darling, sweet, stubborn friend. Only you can try to make everything so dark. Come on! You know what they are this time."


"No, I'm afraid I don't."


"Gunshots! And you know the occasional bombs we hear blowing up."


Aaron scoffs.


"You can't even lie; you walked right into this one."


"Yeah, Natasha I know, but it's always interesting to see what she'll say next."


"Well prepare yourself again, because I'm going into another one."


"Maya, will you pl-


"It all happened about 2 years ago, there was talk of a virus going on about, but everyone shrugged it off like it was nothing...


Aaron sighs.

Natasha laughs.


"... but after some time, people began to get sicker and sicker all over the world. Hospitals began piling up with people. The world was starting to look like gloomy, and dark, and what happened next was what changed the world forever. This man walking all about in one of the hospitals, groaning and moaning. A nurse walked behind him to get his attention, tapped him on the shoulder. He didn’t answer her. She began to get agitated, so she turned him around, but the saw what she was prepared to see, she saw a-


“A zombie. Yeah, we get it.”


“Actually, before I was so rudely interrupted, Aaron, I was going to flesh-eating undead creatine, but zombie is could be used too. I just don’t like the term, it’s kind of rude in way.”


“Rude? They eat people, they could literally eat us. They ate your cat for crying out loud!”


“He does have a very reasonable and logical point.”


“Yeah, I guess he does but I still like to find the good in everyone and everything, even though the world is in turmoil. Look at the Brightside, we still have each other.”


“Good old Maya always knows how to make a dark day bright.”


Natasha and Maya smile at each other.


“Thank you, Natasha, I really appreciate it.”


“Can we talk about how crazy it that I’m stuck with you two? Two girls at that.”


“The best friends you’ll ever have. Come on, we’re the dream team. We were meant to fight this together. I have to admit though it is weird.”


“No guys, I think it means that we were destined to be friends. We were all headed in different directions for college but here we are, together.”


“Natasha, you have a very valid point. Mushy but valid. Now let’s move from this spot before the undead come.”


“So, where are we going to do go?”


“Let’s just walk around the same block we always do and slay anything that comes in our way.”


“Wow, look at you, don’t take this the wrong way but brave, mighty, Aaron is kind of hot.”


Aaron’s eyes bulge out wide and he blushes.


“Uh… thanks, Maya. I um…”


Aaron clears his throat and Maya gives him a quick smile.


“We should get going, we have a long way ahead of us.


The gang all begin walking through the ruins of what’s left, New York. The once bright and spunky neighborhood they knew is now a frightful, disastrous warzone. Smoke rose from the buildings and screams emerged from all corners. If one thing we're sure, nothing would be like before, at least some things.


They walked all the way to the first corner, and would you believe it? Mrs. Brinkman, the local psychic, was still there!


“What the- is that Mrs. Brinkman?!”


“Whoa! That is her!”


“Let’s go see if she’s ok.”


Aaron and Natasha turn and stop Maya.


“I’m sorry, does apocalypse not mean anything to you? We can’t just go up to people anymore. We can’t trust anybody.”


“Wow Aaron, you just got twenty percent less cute.”


“What? - Well excuse me for trying to be logical in a dangerous situation.”


“He’s right Maya, we have to be smart about this.”


“But it’s Mrs. Brinkman! She’d never hurt me, we’re like her best friends, see, I’ll prove it to you guys.”


Before they could stop Maya from her stupidity, she made her towards Mrs. Brinkman who was facing her garden. Without thinking, Maya calls her doesn’t get an answer, and taps her on the shoulder. Mrs. Brinkman than turns around quickly with an arm in her mouth, she is eating a freaking an arm! When she sees Maya, she lunges toward her and Maya takes off yelling to her friends.


“AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! FUCK OUR FRIENDSHIP! SHE’S A ZOMBIE! SHE’S GONNA EAT US! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!”


The three of them run and try to dodge her at every corner and that’s when they see Mr. Johnson who is also undead and missing an arm.


“Guys look I see where Mrs. Brinkman got that arm from!”


“HOLY SHIT! SHE’S EATING HIS FREAKING ARM!”


Maya turns to Mrs. Brinkman while running.


“MRS. BRINKMAN HE WAS YOUR FRIEND! WHY’D YOU DO HIM LIKE THAT! HOW IS HE GOING TO PLAY HIS SAXOPHONE NOW!”


“SHE’S A ZOMBIE! SHE HAS NO FEELINGS! IF WE DON’T GET OUT OF HERE, SHE’S GOING TO EAT US TOO!”


“OMG! IS THAT SPRINKLES! YOU LOOK TERRIBLE! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME? YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY I SPENT ON YOUR ARROGANT ASS! ALL I WANTED YOU TO DO IS LOVE ME AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME!!?”


“WHY ARE WE YELLING!”


“I DON’T KNOW, MAYBE IT’S BECAUSE ARE FRIENDLY NEIGHBORS HAVE TURNED INTO FLESH EATING MONSTERS!”


“YOU HAVE A PLAUSIBLE POINT LET’S HEAD TO THE OLD LAKE, MAYBE THERE WON’T BE ANYONE THERE!”


The after outrunning the zombies somehow, the crew make it to the old lake which is seemingly quiet. But too quiet.


The gang all whisper to each other.


“It looks safe, but I don’t know, maybe it’s a trap.”        



“You want to dive right into it Maya? You seem to like that to do that a lot.”


“Oh, I assure you, I’m done with that. . Everyone we know is dead. Mr. Brinkman, Mr. Johnson, our parents, even Sprinkles! She had the deadliest look in her eyes. She’s not the cat I used to know. And I know for a fact that this is a trap.”


“What makes you say that?


“Oh, I don’t know, maybe it’s the hoard of zombies behind us getting ready to eat our flesh.”


“Yes, I see what you mean now. Well, it was nice knowing you guys. Since we’re about to die, I might as well confess what I’m feeling. Maya.”


Aaron turns to Maya and Maya wears a confused face but Natasha smiles.


“Yeah? Don’t you think we sh-


“Hold on this will only be a second. I know I’ve always been this uptight nerd who always takes everything seriously but secretly, or obviously, I don’t know, I’ve always had this umm… I-


“He has feelings for you!”


“What? I thought he liked you!”


“Well, it wouldn’t have worked because I think of Aaron as a brother, - no offense to you.”


“None taken. I feel the same about you honestly. So, Maya, how do you feel?”


Maya makes a look like she’s disgusted, and Aaron starts to look embarrassed.


“I knew it, I’m sorry for making it weird, I’m stupid for thinking I had a chance.”


Suddenly Maya bursts out laughing leaves the other two confused.


“Wow, way to twist the knife.”


“Are you trying to make him cry?”


“Whoa, hold on, I was not.”


“You have tears in the corner of your eyes.”


“Aaron! Of course, I like you! I was just waiting for you to admit it. You didn’t pick up the flirting I was doing? I just said that just now to see that cute thing you do with your nose.”


Aaron playfully shoves Maya.


“You’re an asshole.”


“You know it.”

Maya and Aaron smile at each and hold hands.


“As much as I would love seeing my new favorite couple, we still have that big zombie problem at hand. What are we going to do?”


Maya thinks for a second then has an epiphany.


“So, promise you guys won’t be mad.”


“What?”


Aaron and Natasha say in unison.


“I forgot I stacked a whole bunch of weapons here last week. And I’ve had a gun this whole time and forgot.”


Aaron and Natasha give her a dirty look.


“What? At least I’m being helpful now, do you guys have anything? No, you don’t so let’s kill these fuckers once and for all.”


“They grow up so fast.”


The gang all gets the guns and take down all the zombies cheering about their win. And then they all hug. The sun is up now, and they all sit in front of the lake watching as the sunsets. Maya and Aaron snuggle but keep Natasha in the middle because there shall not be any third wheel. They smile because they know that not even zombies can break apart their friendship.

Maya abruptly stands up.


“Do you guys hear that?”


“Hear what?”


“OMG, it’s Sprinkles! I knew you’d never leave me.”


“Wait Maya don’t! –


“AAAAAHHHH! I knew I should’ve given your ass away.”


 The End.
















September 20, 2020 03:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

75 comments

Hello Melony!!! After I read your bio, I just realised you love badminton. I'm not that good at it but my cousin definitely is!!! I'm a Leo btw! Lol, I didn't have to say that, but hiiiii!!!!

Reply

Hiiiii! Thank you for taking the time to read my bio! I wouldn't say I'm a pro at badminton lol but I def enjoy playing it. That's cool that your cousin likes it too. I think that's awesome that you're a Leo it must mean you are very unique and fashionable. And it totally fine you mentioned it I love hearing about other zodiac signs.

Reply

Hi! No problem! That's great, I wish I could start playing but yeah, not now. Yeah, I'm not that fashionable but I am a loudmouth, and I love to defend what I love! Oh ok! Same, me too!

Reply

That's one of the best qualities of a Leo. That's awesome! I'm a loudmouth too, don't get me started lol.

Reply

True! But I can't consider myself really arrogant though... But yes, I can be a bit lazy sometimes! LOL! Oh! That's great! I'm loud but I can't start conversations so I can be awkward!

Reply

Girl awkward is my life lol. But I do think of myself as pretty confident. And the underlying quality of caps is that we are lowkey lazy at times but when we need to we get it together!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:27 Oct 11, 2020

Hola

Reply

Hey!

Reply

B. W.
02:05 Oct 12, 2020

Heya, how have you been?

Reply

Busy! 🤣 I really can't wait to get my laptop again.

Reply

B. W.
14:10 Oct 12, 2020

oh

Reply

Yeah I miss being on here and writing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
09:47 Sep 26, 2020

S’up, dude? Ya keepin’ chill? Don’t laugh at me, Melony, I’m just trying to sound young and cool again. You’ll see how it feels in about 10 years, oh yes you will. Great story! These characters seem very familiar – didn’t they come from your heatwave story? If they did, I’m glad you reused them because you’ve created really interesting characters in these guys. That helps your story stand out a lot. And I think you’re funny. Humor in writing serves different purposes, and what you’re aiming at here is some contrast between the seriousnes...

Reply

I laughed as so as I saw the first line of your comment! 😂 I appreciate your very detailed compliment and thanks for telling me that I'm funny I'm always self critical when I'm writing it. And yes these are the characters from the heatwave story! I enjoyed creating them so I used them again. As for the 'the end' part I'm not even sure why I used that. But thanks for pointing that out. I'm so glad you read my story, thanks dude. 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
15:49 Sep 24, 2020

Thank you so much for writing so much against downvoting! I am really grateful to have you by my side :)

Reply

Of course! Downvoting is petty and annoying asf. downvoting people just to feel better about yourself is pathetic.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
21:38 Oct 22, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Hey

Reply

B. W.
15:07 Oct 23, 2020

how ya been?

Reply

Ok. Im saving to get my laptop. I can't wait to start working on this again

Reply

B. W.
18:13 Oct 23, 2020

when do ya think you'll be able to get it?

Reply

Maybe mid November

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
04:59 Oct 13, 2020

Pls read my new story If u can

Reply

I will as soon as I can.

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:33 Oct 13, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:41 Oct 02, 2020

Hey Melony, Are you okay? I see you haven't been on your page a lot, and I was just wondering if everything was okay. Maybe you are busy at work, but just incase, I thought it would be reasonable to ask... Sorry if I am bothering you, Nimrit

Reply

Hey Nimrit, I'm okay, thanks for asking. I haven't been on my page alot because my laptop's screen broke. And that's what I usually use to be on here. I'm gonna use my phone for the time being tho. I'm happy you felt the need to reach out to me😁 that means alot. I'll be on alot today, I probably won't be writing tho because I work best through my laptop. Nimrit, you could never bother me, you're so kind😄.

Reply

13:25 Oct 03, 2020

Glad to hear that you are okay! I literally treat my laptop like a Princess! Well thanks for checking in. Also can you plsssss check out this funny quiz I created- https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1P_bqfaz2rHQ8eMhvNidfVOcJSPiu_FzOO5vCeu7QJMs/edit

Reply

Absolutely! I do to but now my princess has passed away.

Reply

20:01 Oct 03, 2020

Awwww, that's sad

Reply

Yeah, I know but what's good is that the queen is coming soon. ☺️

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
21:33 Oct 02, 2020

"When I die, watch, my cat." "AAAAAHHHH! I knew I should've given your ass away." Those lines had me cracking up! I love Maya's personality, and no matter what Aaron thinks, there's always a reason to be dramatic 😂 Great job, you get a 10/10!

Reply

Thank you so much! Reading your comment brings me alot of joy☺️. I try to be the funniest I can be🤣

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
16:28 Oct 03, 2020

Definitely! I love that attitude, lol.

Reply

😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
06:11 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Metony would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Sure I'd be glad too.

Reply

13:38 Sep 27, 2020

Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:58 Sep 23, 2020

I loved it Melony!!! BTW, You said you love to have conversations, and you are so excited when you see that yellow dot so. I AM THE YELLOW DOT. Let's randomly start a conversation. Ummmm... Hi I am scared of popcorn (yes it true, it's my weird phobia.).

Reply

Thank you!!! Sorry I didn't answer, I was making myself a super late dinner. I love you so much yellow dot! I mean that in the least weirdest way possible. You're afraid of popcorn? Defintely haven't heard that before but hey, you learn something new everyday. Uhhhhhhh. Hmmmmm. I'm not afraid of it but, I hate seeing black dots in a bunch or circles, it makes my skin shiver. I literally just shivered right lol.

Reply

17:06 Sep 23, 2020

Shivers me up as wellllllllll. Yeah I am scared of popcorn 🍿 and I MEAN SCARED I shiver the soul out of me

Reply

Lol! Ok, so any other phobias? Oh, I don't like it when other people's arms touch me, especially the elbows.

Reply

18:37 Sep 23, 2020

I am terrified of dogs 🐶 because I got bit by one when I was 6 And I have thantophobia. ( I will you discover that 😉)

Reply

I have thanatophobia too. I also hate the sound of squeaking and foam touching.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Writer's note: This story is kinda like part two to 'It Was A Good Day' but not really. I just tried to fit in the prompt. I am sorry if you don't find me funny, I do try. People say I am but I don't know. If there any grammar errors please do tell what they are specifically so I go in and fix it. And please do not repeat the same grammar mistakes as others because I promise I will fix it right away. But do point anything new. Don't be discouraged I always love to improve. Anyways, I hope you enjoy, happy writing! (;

Reply

Show 0 replies
User_2443 0967
13:47 Mar 11, 2021

lol, I read your bio lets be BeSt FriEnDs

Reply

Sure ☺️

Reply

User_2443 0967
19:25 Mar 11, 2021

lol

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
21:40 Nov 06, 2020

Hey, Melony, I loved it how you brought back those three in a different setting (including their neighbors and the cat!). They are some really well-rounded characters and the chemistry between them is obvious. And the story was indeed very funny. Well done!

Reply

Thank you so much and I appreciate your reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
21:59 Oct 29, 2020

Hey Melony, You haven't been posting a lot recently... Is everything ok? I know I have asked already, but I can't help myself from asking again. When is your new laptop coming? I am so excited for you to be back on Reedsy and submitting stories!!!!! -Nimrit

Reply

Hey Nimrit, Sorry about the huge delay and late replys Ive been working alot and have been really busy. I'm ok though, I really appreciate you asking😁. My laptop will be bought in mid November and then you'll see me on alot more.

Reply

21:55 Oct 30, 2020

Ok, I'm so glad you will be back soon!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
04:59 Oct 13, 2020

Pls read my new story If u can

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
15:33 Sep 25, 2020

Hey i made a new story ^^ could ya check out "Betrayed" and leave some feedback?

Reply

yes of course what did you think of mine?

Reply

B. W.
23:41 Sep 25, 2020

Oh! sorry i forgot to give some feed-back i thought i already did. All of your stories are really great though so i don't know what else to say besides that it's really good and i wanna see more of your stories ^^ 10/10

Reply

Thank you I appreciate that (:

Reply

B. W.
03:43 Sep 26, 2020

No problem ^^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.