201 comments

Fantasy Fiction Teens & Young Adult

I always thought of the heat as happiness. Warmth. Like a family. Cold was the bitter iciness panging the back of your head, numbing your fingers and toes until all you wanted to do was go back inside and sip hot cocoa.

That was until I moved to the blistering desert.

Turns out, enough of anything and you can be numbed by that too. (I was pretty sure my skin considered a slight breeze as “cold” by now.) 

Sigh.

I stared out the dusty window with ragged breaths, so deep in my own regrets that I didn’t hear the AC sputter out. I literally had the minimum number of clothes on I could have without being naked, just a crop top and shorts. Not a single cloud dotted the sky, with zero wind chill or even rain. I had admired my small cottage’s medieval aesthetic at first—filled with dried herbs, spellbooks and art supplies—but it definitely got old having sandy floors, wood walls with cracks letting in the heat and no way to communicate with the outer world. (Not to mention I could barely go outside for two minutes without getting sunburned—the downsides of being a redhead.)

Cuz I was a (*dunt dunt dunt*) wanted witch.

Or, to be more clear, I was a banned witch.

Or, to be more clear, I was a banned wannabe witch. (Still a witch-and-training, if you get my gist.)

Clumsiness is a painful trait to have when brewing potions, so of course my clan booted me out at age 18. I was stuck in my own ~Mini Town of Mirora~ until I’m 20, or mastered the hardest spell in the spellbook—the teleportation spell. 

Nobody has gotten it for centuries, I thought miserably to myself as I padded over the dusty floor and started poking at the AC machine, willing it to work. Also known as the Spark Spell, the teleportation spell required more than just memorization or magic in your blood: it needed you to mean it. For you to channel your inner spark, whatever that meant, tapping into a passion or inspiration or feeling. And since I really didn’t want to be stuck in the desert for another 11 months, I was working my butt off trying to find my spark. (Also trying to find a spell that magically made the room cooler, but oh well.)

Bang bang bang.

I whirled around, my mass of vibrant red hair flouncing on my shoulders. (I wear it down pretty much just because hair is needed in tons of potions.) Who was that?

Silence.

I whispered a quick enchantment to the air conditioning—a fixing spell, which resulted in a steady stream of 70° air flowing out of the vents, thank god—and walked past my art table, where I spent most of my time when not in my spell nook. (Contrary to popular belief of my entire clan, I’m amazing at art. [Or...I try to be.] I love painting, sketching, writing, songwriting, or really anything with creating, well, creatively.)  

Bang bang bang.

I set my eyes on the door. Who the heck is here?

“Mirora Sharps?” a deep voice said.

My eyes widened. And how did this visitor know my name?

I cautiously edged closer to the door, sneaking a quick peek at the double lock to make sure it’s secure before saying, “Yes, it is she, who are you?”

Bang bang bang.

“Open up. I have news.”

“Um...okay. Don’t kill me. I’m armed,” I threatened, snatching my wand up and opening the door. “Hello.”

No one was there.

Or, no one at eye level.

“Down here,” the voice croaked. I shifted my gaze and sure enough, there was a 2-foot...something at my doorstep? It was swaddled in blankets, only two large ice-blue eyes peeking out. He waddled into my home, jumping on my bed with surprising grace. I didn’t even protest. “So, Mirora Sharps, I heard you wanted magic assistance.”

My eyes widened. Yes, yes, yes! “That’s exactly what I’ve been praying for every day for 13 months,” I breathed. “Are you...by chance...Nigopa Hema?” The patron goddess of my witch clan could surely help me with the Spark Spell. “Okay so I have an entire list of things I need help with, cuz like people say my art isn’t good and this spel—”

The visitor laughed, ripping off his blankets. A warty goblin face stared back. “Far from. And no, young sapling, your art muse seems to be down with the flu. But I have assistance nonetheless.” His eyes darted around my room to the art nook, half-finished sketches and fashion designs pinned on a cork board.

“Like what?” I narrowed my eyes (and ignored the insult, I was used to that kind of stuff but I knew I was awesome at the arts), grabbing a tank top and a hair tie from a nearby dresser, sliding on the shirt and stuffing my long fluff of red into a messy high bun.  

“A prophecy.”

I almost jumped back. Prophecies seemed to only bring bad news, as my mother taught me. Right up there with other repeated lessons such as appreciate what you have, the past is best left forgotten and Mirora You Are Bad At Arts. “Oh, oh, heck no,” I said, backing into my dresser.

The goblin studied me. “Too late.”

His eyes flared open, mouth dropping into an O, face stiffening as blue light poured from every hole on his head. He looked like he was possessed as he smoothly rose a foot above the ground, wind suddenly whipping around us, his voice deeper and more ominous when he finally spoke:


The wish of the girl with hair of fire 

Finds her strand at the place of wire 

Where centuries have come and fallen at ease 

And many have found the thing they felt out of reach 


Then with a pop, he was gone, before I even got the chance to whisper “Thanks”.

*

I shakily lowered myself onto my bed, the goblin-spaced dent in it gone as well.

Um...okay.

That was something.

Prophecy, goblin intruder, more insults, what was new?

At first I wanted to brush it off. Why should I listen to a word the goblin said? I didn’t even catch his name. Following this prophecy could be dangerous and after all, I only had 11 months until I was back in the witch clan.

But I didn’t want to wait that long, did I? And this prophecy intrigued me.

I took a deep breath, a few sips of water, and scratched the goblin’s message down before I could forget it. Before I did anything, I needed to figure out what this even meant.

The wish of the girl with hair of fire 

The first line was easy enough. I was the girl with hair of fire (I glanced at my highlighted red hair framing my face—yup, hadda be me), and my wish was to find my “spark” to help me get the teleportation spell.

Finds her strand at the place of wire 

The second line was harder. What was my “strand”? Was that some other spell terminology? But it said I need to find it, and I think I would know if I was looking for something other than my spark.

I glanced back at the first line. Hair. Strand. Maybe the two lines were connected and it was a strand like a strand of hair, but that didn’t make sense either. But what about the fire part? A bit of hair could be a strand and a bit of fire could be...a spark. Ooh, yes! I thought. My “strand” connected back to my “hair of fire”—of course I was looking for my spark. (Although I was a bit surprised they even used that word in a prophecy. It was kinda slang for, again, whatever feeling or passion you’re tapping into.)

What about the “place of wire?”

I thought for a few moments, but I couldn’t think of anything. There was plenty of wire around the world. I’d come back to that.

‎‎

Where centuries have come and fallen at ease 

Sooo...this “place of wire” could maybe be a home, or some place where people have been for centuries and chilled. After all, they even “fell with ease”. Must be pretty special.

‎‎

And many have found the thing they felt out of reach 

The meaning of the last line snapped to me immediately: more sparks. That was the thing almost every witch felt out of reach, and that was what this prophecy was about: finding my spark. 

So, I thought as I pieced together the prophecy, I’ll find my meaning at the “place of wire”, which has/had been a special, peaceful place for centuries and many others have found their sparks there too.

Yet I still didn’t freaking know where that is.

I rolled over onto my stomach on my bed, sweat rolling down my forehead more intensely now as I stared at the paper. I was so close. I just needed to brainstorm. 

Alright, let’s see. Let’s assume the people being talked about are witches. This place was obviously home to a lot of them, and provided a lot of inspiration. But there are hundreds of witch clans and hundreds of homes, and nobody in my clan had even found their spark for centuries.

But what about before centuries?

I barely knew about our home before our current town in the forest (“the past is best left forgotten”, my mum always said), but it matched up perfectly with when people were still finding their sparks and becoming a full witch or wizard.

I flipped open my massive spellbook and raced to the back, to the section entitled History. I turned pages for what seemed like hours, but finally, I found the page I was looking for:

‎‎

Magi Aylso: The Old Home of the Jeminiya Clan

‎‎‎

Heart racing, I skimmed the paragraphs and pictures. Yes! Yes! This is what I was looking for! Our clan’s old home was the “place of wire!”

How did I never know about that? It turned out our old home was a magical place made of metal, urban but also beautiful. Instead of using hard slabs of metal and stone, there were wires, gracefully twisted and handmade, providing protection and beauty paired with the plants and nature around our campsite. It was supposedly a magical place, with the creativity of my people carved into the metal to make the campsite one-of-a-kind.

But apparently the other clans didn’t like our creativity so we left, and now the campsite had been collecting dust.

Well, time to un-dust it, I thought triumphantly, grabbing my human-money wallet from under my pillow and sliding on my shoes. I had never used the hundreds of dollars my clan left me in the cabin, but now I would need some human transportation to get to the forest of Magi Aylso once I stepped through the portal out of the desert. But there was a catch: I could only use the portal for one trip somewhere and back. After all, I was exiled to the desert.

I took a deep breath as I looked at the whirling portal of blue-purple-silver dust. Time to find my spark.

I stepped in and the desert whooshed away.

‎‎‎

*

6 hours and a hodgepodge of transformation later, I walked into the sprawling clearing of Magi Aylso and my jaw hit the floor so hard I was pretty sure it cracked.

Even after years and years left unattended, the metallic town was gorgeous, glinting silver in the foggy, cool forest. Homes in odd shapes such as pyramids dotted a winding path, the famous handmade wall of wire surrounding it all, unique shapes twisted in. Vines were starting to cover the town, but with nothing to root onto besides slick metal the process was slow. As I started walking through the ghost town, I ran a finger around the soft carvings into the metal. Some were doodles, some were poems, some were pictures, some were just for decoration. Hundreds of people, hundreds of sparks, hundreds of fresh minds and hundreds of heated butter knives made quite a cool quilt of combinations.

I kept waltzing down the path, tennis shoes clicking on the metal, until I reached the center of the town: the massive bonfire. Thick slabs of wood piled into a triangle, ringed with stone to contain what used to be the center of this lively town. 

Whoooooooooooosh!

I jumped back as flames roared to life, the heat of a thousand matches stretching far over my head. It was eerie and almost creepy as twilight approached, but the sudden heat was welcomed.

The fire kept growing, blossoming higher and higher, every color of the rainbows weaving through the flames, sparks flying and reflecting in my glassy eyes. I couldn’t help myself. I stepped closer, and a wave of warmth swept over me. And suddenly I was immersed in the fire, my vision a blur of streaming colors and light, inspiration filling my chest out of the blue. I saw myself late into the night, sketching images of sweeping outfits, grinning at the beautiful creations. I saw myself early in the morning, sipping ice water as I created a fantasy world in my writing. I saw myself any time of the day, new contortion poses, impossible animations, smiling at the joy of boundless creating. That was my spark. That was the passion that fueled me, even if I wasn’t the best at it, the art of limitless creation. 

And then a cold gust of wind swept over my mind, the flames out in a second flat, until it was just me in the damp metal ghost town of Magi Aylso. 

I shivered, taking a step back from the firepit, but at the same time I was beaming brighter than the campfire. I could almost feel Nigopa Hema smiling down at me, too. It really was a shame the Jeminaya witch clan moved on from our old home all those years ago—nobody had been able to identify their sparks since without the magic-enhanced campfire. 

All doubts aside, after 13 months of trying, I got my spark! Got my transportation spell hopefully down! And more importantly, got out of the flipping desert!!!!!!! 

I knew where to take it from here. I pulled out my wand (which was only needed for harder spells), took a quick deep breath and rolled my shoulders, then started chanting the words of the spell: 

Nigopa Hema, noli me avolare

I chanted faster, power swelling up: 

sicut avis ad caelum

‎‎

I looked inside my recent memories and pulled out my spark, letting the spell ignite on my burning passion of creation, cramping my eyes shut as I remembered the feeling of inspiration blooming in my chest when I wrote or drew or sung:

iter multo me lo, et

‎‎

And with a smile, I felt my body grow light as I pictured my final destination, chanting the last words to the spell at my climate changed: 


non est inventus qui scintillam meam

And that was all there was to it. In a blinding flash of light, I was back in the current home of the Jeminiya.

“AHHHHHHH!”

I opened my eyes, startled, and whirled around. Pedestrians were fleeing from where I randomly appeared. Ah, of course they’d be a bit spooked if a random hooman appeared in the middle of dinner time.

“Wait! No! It’s me!” I cried, raising my hands.

Everyone froze.

I glanced around. Little cottages decorated the meadow, covered in moss and fairy lights. Total cottagecore aesthetic. A little girl with dark skin and fluffy hair crept forward. “Mirora? Is that you?”

I recognized her as Bree from church. “Yessss!”  

An older woman with golden-gray hair and blue eyes squinted at me. “Aren’t you...banished to the desert? How did you get here? Why are you back?”

Bree’s shiny eyes widened. “Omg, did you get your transportation spell?”

Half the clearing leaned closer, most of them Bree’s age, which I kinda expected due to all the little kids frolicking when a community dinner was being made. I smiled and casually fingered my wand. “As a matter of fact, I did.”

“Woah!”

The old woman raised an eyebrow. “Impressive. That hasn’t been done in centuries.”

I grinned, wishing History taught more about our past home and it’s connection to our patron goddess. “Maybe we just didn’t know where to look.”

May 31, 2021 15:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

201 comments

14:01 Jun 30, 2021

🍌 🧁 🏳️‍🌈 btw, i added a quote from your bio to mine (don't worry, I gave you credit XD) "In the words of Aerinnnnn: I need to "...wRiTe A fRiGgInG sToRy but guess what? I’M A LAZY CHIMKEN NUGGET"" That's from my bio :D XD

Reply

20:45 Jun 30, 2021

Tyyyy! Haha I’m honored lolz XD So hru?

Reply

02:32 Jul 01, 2021

Npppp! Lolz Good hru?

Reply

17:02 Jul 01, 2021

Gooood! Like 200 pages into the awesome book “The Martian”. Wbu?

Reply

20:44 Jul 01, 2021

Fun! I'm doing pretty good. A lot going on because of the Fourth of July/Indepence Day

Reply

03:27 Jul 02, 2021

Ooooh nice!!! Any plans? (Also new rAnDoM story if you wanna check it out hehe <3)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
23:22 Jun 26, 2021

🐓 🧁 🏳️‍🌈

Reply

00:50 Jun 27, 2021

Ty hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marie Bishop
15:36 Jun 26, 2021

Really beautiful. I love the way you handled the MC and her interaction with her world. Great story

Reply

00:50 Jun 27, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:48 Jun 24, 2021

there's too many things i loved about this to put into sentences so here's a list hehe: -descripTIONNNNN -the names -the entire plot tho... -your voice/personality -there was so much Aerin in this XD -dialogue -Mirora's character -the goblin lol -the beginning that hooked me -and the awesome end -the fireeeeee -the way you described Magi Aylso -your whole spark element :) Great job, gurl! Keep writing! :D -b r o n a n a (aka Brooke)

Reply

20:25 Jun 25, 2021

ACKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK thank you so much sisssss <33333 You toooo! ALSO OMG I LOVE YOUR BIO HEHEHE -u m….R a i n b o w R a n d o m (idk okay-)

Reply

03:35 Jun 28, 2021

you're welcome sissss <3 :D OMG SHANK YOUUUUUU - b r o n a n a (lol i like it, but maybe R a n d o m R a i n b o w)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
15:53 Jun 24, 2021

Congratulations on Color Quest! So you're editing now?

Reply

18:44 Jun 24, 2021

Thank you! Eh, kinda, once I actually open the doc again XD I’m currently in a few-day grace period before I go back over revising (I have to mess with the time frame and a few details a lil’ before starting editing with my friend Sarah and/or mom) with fresh eyes XD

Reply

Kat Sencen
18:48 Jun 24, 2021

Okay! Yes time is always good. When I finished the (very poor) first draft of my book, I spent about a month before editing and laying out what I wanted to keep/discard for my second. Congrats again, and have a good few off-writing days!

Reply

20:19 Jun 25, 2021

Ooooh that’s actually a great plan! Almost exactly 13 months ago I finished book 1 and hopped into book 2 like 3 days later lolz, but that definitely slowed down editing. I think I I might do something now like take a break until the end of the month as I kinda brainstorm book 3 further then I’ll start editing. But thanks for that idea hehehehe! And thank youuu <333

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Malcolm S
15:48 Jun 23, 2021

🍌

Reply

00:20 Jun 24, 2021

Ty hehe

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Arkane ㅤ
10:08 Jun 23, 2021

Beginning already got me hooked. Sometimes I feel like clicking out, but the writing in itself is enough to keep me reading. (The only thing that kept me reading is the Dune-like atmosphere. You know, the 1960's novel turning to a 2021 film?) Denis Villeneuve should have read this for more inspiration :D - Arkane. (Do not try and pronounce my real name, that's why I have the nickname PT for international peeps)

Reply

00:48 Jun 24, 2021

Ack, thank you so much! Hehe thank you XD - Aerin

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hope Reynolds
23:19 Jun 22, 2021

I checked out your all poetry page. Your haikus are beautiful!! Are you a part of an poetry things outside of allpoetry?

Reply

00:49 Jun 24, 2021

Thank you!!!! Not much here :)

Reply

Hope Reynolds
16:54 Jun 26, 2021

If I credit/link your allpoetry page, could I share it on a discord poetry server? Also thanks for the follow! Was there a particular story you liked?

Reply

00:50 Jun 27, 2021

Aw, of course! Np! I kinda follow everyone back XD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
The Cold Ice
02:49 Jun 22, 2021

Wonderful story. Keep writing I liked it.liked the ending line

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
23:28 Jun 20, 2021

<removed by user>

Reply

02:56 Jun 21, 2021

Tyyy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
01:00 Jun 18, 2021

New story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:12 Jun 17, 2021

I'm so sorry I didn't give feedback on this story sooner! I know it's not every day that Aerin Rebecca herself posts a story, haha. Your writing style is certainly unique—the bits of sarcasm, word choices, and Aerin-ness made me laugh. Come to think of it, I don't think there is a single story of yours where I haven't laughed while reading it. I love Mirora's—nice name—personality. Her narration makes me crack up, and as SilverSerpent said, she seems like a real human being (or a banned, wannabe witch). The fantasy world and plot were excel...

Reply

17:04 Jun 19, 2021

No worries, thanks for coming! ;D Ackk, thank you so much! You toooo! (Ugh frr…great, thank you! Wbu?) (Also, are you the Reeder who found my YouTube lol?) (Tbf, I think it’s actually still it my bio so now really “found” but still- yuh)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
N K
17:23 Jun 17, 2021

This was such a great story and a really exciting take on the prompt! I love how relatable Mirora is and the narrative style was so humorous and enjoyable to read. I'm honestly so impressed with the prophecy and the spell you wrote into the story - it seemed so legit and I love when characters have to decipher something so that was so much fun to read. All in all, the plot was amazing and original and the world you built was really captivating. Great job!

Reply

20:23 Jun 25, 2021

So first I’m super sorry I’m late hehe, I promise I read this I forgot to respond. Secondly, thank you so much!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liz James
14:40 Jun 17, 2021

I'm back

Reply

16:34 Jun 17, 2021

Aw yay, hi!

Reply

Liz James
18:05 Jun 19, 2021

Is it just me or-is reedsy giving out some great prompts?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommie Michele
23:31 Jun 16, 2021

This is great! Love the unique voice you gave to Mirora.

Reply

20:23 Jun 25, 2021

I know I’m late but thank you lolz!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
21:49 Jun 16, 2021

Poll 1: 🌈💛🌈💛 2: 🌺🌺🌺🌺 3: ☀️☀️☀️☀️!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Maraika!!! 😎
18:30 Jun 16, 2021

my poll votes: 🌈 ❤🔥 ☀

Reply

18:32 Jun 16, 2021

Thank you hehe!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:55 Jun 16, 2021

lady! we haven't talked in ~ y e a r s, ~ how are you? doin' good? stalkin' my comments? readin' my stories? forgettin' i exist? all of those at the same time, maybe? *awkward silence*

Reply

18:19 Jun 16, 2021

miss! omg ~exactly~! I’m doing 110% awesomely cuz YUSSS SUMMER BREAK IS UPON MEH!!!! *claps for myself for surviving my first year of middle school, in a pandemic nonetheless, cuz I’m tHaT cOoL* Wbu lolz? okay to be fair yes EXCEPT for the last one because hey, I can’t talk with something I doesn’t know exist, am I right?* *wiggles eyebrows* maybe? *beeps* *HARVARD ONCE AGAIN MY STONKS LEVELS ARE OFF DA CHARTS (wait that was the perfect meme reference—did I mention I’m sToNkS?) SCHOLARSHIP HELLOOOOOO that joke probably didn’t make sense if ...

Reply

18:49 Jun 16, 2021

second year of middle school, over n' out! 😎 missin' your stories... writin' some of my own. finally got the part-three done and submitted for a series i've been working on, so there's that relief. though, honestly, since it's the last days of school, apparently there's tons of projects that i have two days to complete, so, there's that- but i'm looking forwards to the summer. humidity, sunshine, reedsy, and endless swarms of wasps- what could be better?

Reply

18:52 Jun 16, 2021

Yasss kween 😎❤️‍🩹 ty lolz…ooh that’s great! ahhhhhh wait but you still have real school in the last few days of school? All we did was watch movies and play video games haha- GOOD LUCKK honestly nothing *wiggles eyebrows*…FREE TIME FOR LIFE

Reply

19:59 Jun 16, 2021

*mini-celebration commences*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tarushi Parmar
06:52 Jun 16, 2021

Hey! I loved your story . I was hooked till the end . I loved how I could relate to the character in terms of how she felt about her creativity . I loved the fact that the character was red hed and how you remembered things like they are sensitive to sun . BTW I have been developing a red hed character of my own so I've been reading about them. PS : The description was great too!!

Reply

18:20 Jun 16, 2021

Thank you so much! (Tbh, I did 0 research, I just remembered redheads are sensitive to us light so I looked it up to confirm lolz.) Ooh that’s cool! P. S. Tyyy!

Reply

Tarushi Parmar
03:17 Jun 17, 2021

😃. And try to give my stories a read and possibly leave a feedback and like

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Liz Redt
04:04 Jun 15, 2021

Nice, that was really good!

Reply

18:21 Jun 16, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.