126 comments

Fiction Happy Holiday

Title: The Bass Drummer

Author: Haripriya

Author's Note: Hello everyone! I wish you all a happy Sunday! In this story, I didn't really have many things to include, so it is kind of short. But I felt that this prompt was also really interesting because I was pondering about why they only chose a drummer to be the main character in the prompt, so that got me thinking to also include another main character in this story, just to break up the plot and make it more interesting. But I hope my thinking went the right way and that you all enjoy another story!

"Hey, Paul! You're invited to the annual Music Showdown today! I hope you'll make the most of it!" Paul's brother Peter exclaimed.

Peter was very happy that his little drummer brother got invited to such a prestigious music event.

The Annual Music Showdown is where the expert musicians play for more than 10,000 people. In fact, many people from different states actually come to this festival just to meet these famous musicians. Now, if Paul is lucky, he may even have to give autographs!Β 

Basically, this musical showdown is a huge deal, so even being on stage and performing there already means that you're a famous musician, but winning that competition means that you're the king of musicians for that entire year! Whoever is the winner will get so much more publicity, so that person has to keep composing and writing new songs according to the people's demand, this way all the winner's albums can be a hit.

"Just imagine all the fame and publicity you'll get when you attend this showdown, Paul, just try to imagine! I can't even imagine telling everyone in the audience that the famous bass drum player is my brother! Wow, I really can't." Peter continued to daydream in his thoughts, while Paul felt a little nervous.

What if I mess up a note in front of everyone? What if I trip and fall over? What if...no one likes my playing?Β Paul was in deep thought and felt really unsure about going to this music festival, thinking pessimistic thoughts.Β 

"Hey, Peter, I don't really know if going to this...The Music Showdown thing is a really good idea for me. I mean, I'm basically a social blunder! Also, I have stage fright! I don't know if I can even stand on the stage without my leg shivering." he admits, trying to persuade his brother to think twice about this entire program.Β 

✼✼✼

"Oh, no way are you going to back out of this huge event! This can be your chance to show everyone what a talented bass drummer you really are!" Peter continues persuading, hoping his brother would ever listen to him.

"Butβ€”" he wanted to talk, but Peter didn't want to listen to him refuse his idea again.

"Do you remember? Every Christmas Eve dad would put on the Music Showdown, where many musicians that time played Christmas carols and songs. Remember how you would always tell mom and dad that one day you were going to be up on that stage like these people singing and playing your favorite instrument, a drum. Don't you want to prove your younger self true? Especially when you're biggest and life long dream is going to come true? I don't see why you should ever reject going to the showdown! This is your chance Paul, this is your time. I say you should shine it." Peter advises Paul, hoping that all of this would change his mind.

It took Paul some time to reply because he was thinking about it.Β 

"Iβ€”I guess, I will go to this musical showdown. You're right, since I even learned how to speak, I've always wanted to be a drummer. Maybe even one day go to the annual music showdown. Peter, you're absolutely true, I shouldn't give up when I'm this close to achieving my dream." Paul finally replies, feeling a lot more confident than how he was before.

"Finally you understood! I also read in the flier that after the musical performance, there is a holiday party just for all of the performers! You'll finally be a part of the people you belonged to Paul! So, what do you say? Now are you really excited to go, or would you rather sit at home, reading a book?" Peter asked Paul.

Paul shook his head jokingly because he knew that Peter already knows what he was going to pick.Β 

"Of course I'm going to go to the music showdown, Peter! I'm ready, and I couldn't have ever been feeling so good if it weren't for you Peter, so thank you for everything you always do. It means a whole lot to me." Paul confessed, and soon there was an awkward silence between the two brothers.

"Ok little one! Your welcome, but that is what big brothers always do, help the younger ones always choose the correct and best path in their life. Now enough of the mushy talk and get ready for the showdown! It's in another eight hours Paul! Go and start practicing your masterpiece, and if you want, I can listen to it?" Peter says.

"Well, since you did help me regain my excitement for this music event, I guess I'll show you what I'm going to play," Paul said, and the two brothers chuckled as they looked at each other, smiling bright.

✼✼✼

Seven hours later, Paul had practiced his instrument and the two of them had gotten ready to go to the big event.Β 

"Are you feeling fine brother? Do you need some water, or for me to play some calming music?" Peter asked, looking concerned about his brother.

"Oh, no, I'm really fine Peter. I'm going to be all right. In fact, I'm too excited to even talk. Just imagining my notes and playing the music in my head is already seeming really exciting to me!" Paul explained to Peter, and the two were off to the Annual Music Showdown.

~The End~

December 20, 2020 18:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

126 comments

Hello everyone! Hope you had a great week! Some quick things I want to share about this story: 1. Compared to the other two stories I did this week, this one seems pretty short, but I can't really blame myself because I thought that it was such a sweet prompt to include for this contest, especially for this time of year, so that's why I thought of writing a story for this prompt. 2. For some reason, my favorite type of drum is either a bass or a snare drum because they're the ones which sound really upbeat and jazzy. So I just decided with...

Reply

Claudia Morgan
21:55 Dec 20, 2020

:0 someone else who appreciates the snare drummmm!!!!!

Reply

Claudia Morgan
22:01 Dec 20, 2020

No problem πŸ₯

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
00:28 Jan 22, 2021

Yes, it's definitely good he has a brother. Do you play drums at all? I play guitar and piano, but I've always wanted to play drums. Very nice story :)πŸ“š

Reply

I don't play drums, but I like bass drums a lot, which is what I chose as the main instrument. I do play violin though, and you play two good instruments Elizabeth! Also, thank you so much for your kind words. =)

Reply

16:21 Jan 22, 2021

🐱 That is so cool you play violin 🎻 :) ;)

Reply

Aww, thank you so much! It is cool that you know how to play TWO instruments! You are a very talented musician!🎸🎹

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:21 Jan 22, 2021

🐱 That is so cool you play violin 🎻 :) ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:21 Jan 22, 2021

🐱 That is so cool you play violin 🎻 :) ;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 9 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Zilla Babbitt
17:51 Dec 22, 2020

Hi, Haripriya! I feel like I don't appreciate you enough, or express my appreciation enough. You're always the first to comment on my stories and though I rarely respond to commenters anymore I hope you know how grateful I am for you. To the story! I liked this. It was fun and cheerful without seeming naive or annoying, a difficult balance. I also appreciated that the climax was not the performance/showdown; it was long before. You allowed the reader to make up their own version of what happens at the Music Showdown. Good job on this one...

Reply

Hello Zilla! You have no reason to appreciate me!! Liking my stories and commenting is more than enough!!! But, thank you for writing that in this comment! You don't know how much your kind gesture means to me! ❀️😊 Also, I am so glad that you liked this story! I wanted to keep it a little short, because I got tired of writing long stories...if that makes any sense. =I I hope you have a happy day and a great week! :) Also, wishing you a Happy (and early) Holidays!!β›„β„οΈπŸŽ„β€οΈ

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cosma Nova
00:43 Dec 24, 2020

I love how you showed their relationship and they way communicated with each other:)

Reply

Show 1 reply
B. W.
00:26 Dec 24, 2020

help

Reply

Show 0 replies
17:24 Dec 21, 2020

Hi! Great work! The story was well-written. The nervousness, feeling of insecurity...you had brought out those emotions very nicely. Happy writing! :)

Reply

16:03 Dec 22, 2020

The pleasure was mine :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
22:37 Dec 23, 2020

I just found out who a downvoter was.

Reply

B. W.
23:52 Dec 23, 2020

blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/jane-plane/comments/ her, i can explain what else she said if you want? she deleted some stuff.

Reply

B. W.
23:56 Dec 23, 2020

she told me something like "Think of why Zilla hates you" and that their all gonna downvote me to 0, their all targeting me mostly. That, or at least just off the top ten thing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Aww Haripriya! Super sweet story. Loved the connections between the brothers. All your stories make me so happy:) Drums are like my top five favorites and such an amazing instrument! Always loved them:) Great work!

Reply

Thank you so much Varsha!!! I love all your stories too! Me too! They're just so fun to hear, aren't they? :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
10:02 Dec 21, 2020

I Really enjoyed that. You have a great style of writing.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Claudia Morgan
21:54 Dec 20, 2020

Ooh this was so sweet! I always read your stories, because you are so talented and all these sugary sweet ones are a nice break from the depressing drama rabbit holes I often find myself in on Reedsy! Thanks Haripriya for being such a great person!

Reply

Yuk Yuk
21:52 Dec 22, 2020

Depressing πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚...I can't think of anything depressing I've read on reedsy

Reply

Claudia Morgan
06:20 Dec 23, 2020

I mean...I basically go looking for them..there is an entire category for sad stories πŸ˜‚

Reply

Yuk Yuk
08:37 Dec 23, 2020

Ohhhhh...I read that wrong,sorry. Maybe check out some of my stories πŸ‘€

Reply

Claudia Morgan
08:38 Dec 23, 2020

Oh no problem...also sure I will!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Aman Fatima
10:10 Dec 30, 2020

This story is sweet. For me the story had both show and tell, what I mean is that you showed me brotherly relationship and how they support each other. And i could easily understand how Paul left about going on stage and the way Peter supported him was also quite sweet. Great story. Keep writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
B. W.
03:26 Dec 25, 2020

I just got a new story out

Reply

B. W.
04:12 Dec 25, 2020

Could ya maybe leave some feedback over on it? I'd like to see what ya think ^^

Reply

B. W.
04:15 Dec 25, 2020

do ya have a favorite new prompt?

Reply

I liked the one where they said "the ten year road trip" or something like that.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
20:31 Dec 24, 2020

heyyy

Reply

Show 0 replies
The Cold Ice
06:55 Dec 24, 2020

Loved it.

Reply

The Cold Ice
18:04 Dec 24, 2020

Welcome. Umm we Can became friends

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
02:23 Dec 24, 2020

heyyyy

Reply

B. W.
04:44 Dec 24, 2020

how are ya?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:39 Dec 22, 2020

HI AMAZING STORY GREAT JOB! wait, did i just write all of that in caps. welp, i mean it even more then!! I love stories about instruments well because I do, and this story really resonated with me!! #violasorbust. Anyway, can i call you hari? or priya? (I'm trying to come up with fun nicknames for some reeders)

Reply

Hello Johanna! (Can I call you that???) Haha, I like instruments too! I actually play one, a violin. Also, you can call me whatever you wish! :)

Reply

13:03 Dec 22, 2020

Wow, that's cool! I also used to play the violin but I switched to viola last year :) And Johanna is fine with me...or owly...whatever you want! (i still don't know which one to pick, priya or hari, so I'll just stick with haripriya) Have a great day!!!!

Reply

Oh, if you don't mind me asking...why did you switch from violin to viola? Also, that's fine with me!

Reply

17:35 Dec 22, 2020

It is a long story, so I'll start from the beginning. Once upon a time (lol), there was a "young woman" who played the violin. As a joke, her friend went up to the orchestra teacher and told him that it was the "young woman's" birthday. Also as a joke, the orchestra teacher made the "young woman" play the violin in front of the class (which was like, 50 kids), and the "young woman" got very very very embarrassed. Also, the orchestra teacher noticed that she could have great potential as a violist. Then, he told her about switching to viola....

Reply

Haha!!! Such a great story! Also, I KNOW you can play the viola as amazing as you played the violin! :)

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.