71 comments

Contemporary Suspense Fiction

At each performance of the “Nutcracker” here in America, I have one of the best seats in the house: off stage at stage left. I get to watch the dancers float in from off stage and then back off stage again. I get to watch the prince and Clara as they sit in their throne-like carriage. I get to watch the different curtains rise and fall, slide across the stage and back again. I get to watch the lights above the stage change colors to match the mood of each scene. It is always magical and I never get bored of it. I think only performing back in Moscow could possibly surpass it.

So why am I a backup dancer during the Bolshoi Ballet's tour of theaters and opera houses in America this season? Because sometimes it is nice to have a quiet and peaceful time, where I do not have to worry about having to be at every rehearsal. I can just enjoy what I see and hear. And, in the process, I get to visit such beautiful opera houses and theaters. A far better reward sometimes than the adoration of a happy audience.

---------

Here at the Metropolitan Opera House at the Lincoln Center in New York City, on a weekend afternoon, I watched the rehearsal flow from one scene to another. Sometimes a scene was repeated, to try to improve something that wasn't quite right in the director's eyes. Vasili Mikhailovitch isn't the easiest director to perform for, but he knows how to get the best out of his dancers.

“All right,” he calls. “Break for lunch. Be back on stage in thirty.”

The dancers divide up, some going to stage right, some going to stage left. As they pass by me, most of them smile and ask “How was it?” and I answer, “Beautiful. Just beautiful.” The rest ignore me, as if my being a backup dancer were something shameful and not worthy of their attention. What they forget, though, is that if at any time any of the dancers can't perform, the backup dancers have to take their place. Including the part of Clara.

---------

I was the substitute Clara last season when we performed at Benaroya Hall in Seattle. The lead dancer had a freak injury, landing at the wrong angle and injuring her left ankle. I could only imagine the pain she felt, but I didn't have to imagine the heartbroken look on her face as she was helped off stage. I was her primary understudy that season. I gave her a hug, which she seemed to appreciate. As I was already dressed as she was, when the director gestured to me, I quickly took her place. At the end of the performance, I helped her to return to the stage and quietly suggested she put most of her weight on me instead of on her good foot. We both curtsied as the audience stood and applauded.

Afterward, back in the dressing room, Tatyana laid on a couch, her leg and injured ankle lifted and placed on a pillow. Sitting on a chair nearby, I could see the tears on her cheeks.

“Of all the lousy luck,” she told me. “Just a few more scenes to go.”

“At least it is not broken, Tatyana,” I said. “I have heard that sprains heal faster than breaks.”

“And then I will need to get my left foot back in shape,” she said. “At least we are near the end of the tour. I will not have to miss as many performances as I would have had it happened back in Chicago or Washington, D.C.”

I looked down at my hands as they lay in my lap.

“What?” she asked. “You should be happy, Marga. You get to take my place instead of just standing at stage left and watching everything.”

“Actually I was enjoying being a backup,” I said. “There is less attention on you, fewer demands made of you. On the days when I'm not needed at rehearsal, I take the time to wander around whichever city we are in. Enjoying the Christmas lights. Listening to carolers. Window-shopping. It is so different here in America compared to Christmas back in Russia.”

“Maybe this will show the director what you're really made of,” Tatyana said. “I keep telling him and I am not sure that he believes me. He just says each time, 'She will never be like you. You are the star. You are one of the main reasons they come to see the performances.' You should have seen the look on his face after I fell.”

“I can imagine,” I said with a sigh. “He was probably thinking: 'This is a disaster. Now I will have to depend on Marga. Why have you done this to me, Tatyana? Why?' ”

“Vasili will survive,” she said. “His temper will cool again. Just dance like I have always seen you dance and he will happy.”

“I wish I had your level of confidence,” I said. “And I wish he would not call me that.”

“In his eyes, you will always be an ugly duckling,” she said. “But I have seen the swan in you. Not just in the 'Nutcracker', but also in 'Swan Lake' and 'Sleeping Beauty'. You just need to believe in yourself.”

I shrugged. “We need to get changed into our street clothes. I will help you get back to our hotel room.”

“You have always been so kind to me,” she said. “Like the sister I never had.”

“That is what friends are for,” I said. “Spasiba for being mine.”

Na zdarovye,” she said. “Please do not ever change, Marga.”

“Likewise, Tatyana,” I said.

Thankfully it had just been a sprain for Tatyana last season, and not a break. A break can often end a dancer's career. Like a racehorse with a broken leg. You can recover from it, but the place where the break happened will never be as strong as it was before. The directors know this and won't dare risk it. Not even Vasili will.

----------

The lunch break ended and Tatyana and the rest of the dancers were back on stage. The magic they evoked was breathtaking. The music swirled around them and supported them, giving them the wings they needed to fly with, their slippers barely touching the stage.

After the rehearsal ends, Tatyana and I decided to visit Times Square. It was snowing outside now and we both loved the bright lights and crowds that made Times Square so special.

“If only we could be here on New Year's Eve,” Tatyana said. “We would in the middle of a huge crowd, chanting the countdown as the big ball of light descends, and then everyone cheers as the new year begins.”

“Maybe next year,” I suggested.

“You are quitting the Bolshoi?” she asked. “You really intend to? It is not just an idle threat?”

“I mean it,” I said. “I wanted to celebrate with one more season.”

“But you are still young,” she said.

I shook my head. “I am older than you are. By several years. I remember the day when you auditioned. You were so afraid that you would not be accepted. But I convinced Vasili that he would gain with a dancer like you. You had the grace and beauty I had never had. When you were made the primary dancer, I was so proud of you.”

“Even if it meant that you were relegated to being a backup,” Tatyana said.

“A small price to pay,” I said. “No ballerina dances forever. Our careers, even without an injury to end them prematurely, rarely last beyond the age of thirty. Maybe some continue on as choreographers or directors. But for the rest of us, it is the experience of dancing on stage that draws us, that makes us stay for as long as possible. My time with the Bolshoi would have come to an end soon enough. I did not want to wait until my performances grew worse and worse. I wanted to leave on a high note. And I fully intend to.”

We parted around a group of tourists watching a clown juggling and making jokes. In one of the nearby stores, we could see a group of children and their parents lined up to see Santa Claus (or St. Nikolai, as we call him in Russia).

It brought back memories of when I was a little girl. Before I went to ballet school. When I thought that I would be just another girl in Moscow. But my parents had seen me when I had improvised dances to the classical music on Radio Moscow. They had seen what I might be capable of long before I saw it myself. I had wanted to be a writer or a painter or a scientist. I did not think that I would spend the next twenty years as a ballerina.

“Marga?” Tatyana asked, bringing me back to the present.

I blinked. “Sorry. I was woolgathering. What did you say?”

“I asked if you were hungry,” she said. “We could find a place that serves New York Style pizza.”

“Sounds delicious,” I said. “Somehow pizza just does not taste as good back home.”

---------

We found a small pizza restaurant about two blocks away from Times Square. It was crowded, but there were still a few tables available. The pizza slices seemed absurdly large, but they were hot and delicious. What they called a large pizza here would seem huge back in Moscow.

“What do you think you might do after you retire?” Tatyana asked, after taking a sip of her Coke.

“Maybe go to university,” I said, “and learn the things I never got to learn.”

“Such as?” she asked.

“Writing, painting, and science, to name a few,” I said.

“Maybe you could combine them,” she suggested. “Write science fiction stories and then illustrate them yourself.”

“Would you read them if I did?” I asked.

Tatyana nodded.

“And you are not just saying that because we are best friends?” I asked.

She shook her head.

“Do you think I would be permitted to, though?” I asked. “Moscow is not America, after all. The rules are quite different. Even after the fall of the Soviet Union. One would almost think that our president is doing his best to return our country to what it was before 1991.”

“He has not been an ardent supporter of glasnost or perestroika,” she said.

I snorted. “That is putting it quite mildly.”

“You might have to defect while we are here in America,” Tatyana went on.

I glanced at her. “Do you think I would be permitted asylum here?”

She shrugged. “It is possible. But you would have to ask the right people and see what they say.”

“The right people,” I repeated. “You mean the ones at the consulates and embassies.”

“Among others,” she said.

“Perhaps you could help me?” I asked.

Tatyana looked hesitant. “I am not sure that that would be a safe course of action. Especially now.” She nodded at a pair of men who had just entered the restaurant. They scanned the faces seated at the tables, then went to order their food and drink. She lowered her voice. “I do not think that those two are here to sight-see.”

I lowered my voice as well. “We did not speak of coming here when we were at the opera house. How could they possibly know that we would choose this restaurant instead of all the others in Manhattan?”

“As the KGB and GRU did, no doubt they have means of tracking people when necessary,” she said softly. “Perhaps they have had help from American agents in this city.”

The two men received their food and drink, then sat down two tables away from us, but closer to the restaurant's front doorway. They spoke quietly with each other, sometimes glancing in our direction.

“I have no desire to be poisoned,” I said softly.

“Nor do I,” Tatyana said softly. “Perhaps there is a back door out of this place.”

I stretched, and spoke at a normal volume, “I need to use the ladies room. What about you?”

She nodded. “I think I see where one is. Over there.” She gestured. As we had expected, her gesture was noticed.

We stood up and, with Tatyana in the lead, we headed for the ladies room. In the corner of my eye, I thought I could see the two men stand up and follow us at a discreet distance. Several employees came out of the kitchen as we passed it, hiding us from view.

“Now,” Tatyana whispered, and we broke into a run, passing the ladies room and heading down a hallway with old framed photos on the walls.

At the end of the hallway was an exit door. We tested the latch that unlocked the door. No alarm sounded. Tatyana pushed it open and I followed her outside.

We stood at the side of an alley perpendicular to ourselves. I spotted a metal rod and together Tatyana and I slid it into place, keeping the door from being opened from the inside. Vehicles passed both ends of the alley. Then one black sedan stopped at one end. Men exited from the sedan and headed towards us. The other end was still open, but for how long?

Knocking trash cans and whatever else we saw on the ground behind us, we ran down the alley away from the men. They increased their speed. One of them called to us, demanding that we stop. In Russian, though, not English.

We reached the open end of the alley. A sedan pulled up. Not black this time, but gray. I recognized it as Vasili's.

He quickly rolled down the driver's side window. “Get in! If you value your lives, get in! And keep your heads down!”

Tatyana got in the back first, followed by me. I shut the door behind me and we ducked our heads as low as possible.

From our position, we couldn't see if our pursuers had reached this end of the alley or not. Vasili didn't wait to see. He stepped on the gas pedal and the sedan joined the traffic on the street.

“How did you know where to find us?” I asked Vasili.

“Several Russian agents arrived soon after you both left the opera house,” he explained. “Asking about you both. I said I knew nothing of your plans. You could be anywhere in the city. Or perhaps you had gone back to the hotel. They complained about my lack of willingness to help, but instead of threatening me, as I had expected, they hurried back outside. I followed them and saw two sedans, both black. They split up, half in one sedan, half in the other. I ran for my sedan and followed them. They did not seem too concerned about pursuit, but they seemed to have some ideas about where you might have gone. Because when they reached Times Square, one continued across the square, while the other took a side street and disappeared from view. I followed the first one, and turned right when it did. I saw the other sedan park near a pizza restaurant and the men exited it and headed for the restaurant. The first sedan drove past the restaurant and parked at one end of an alley behind it. They were planning to trap you both, one way or the other. I decided to head for the other end of the alley, to keep them from blocking it as well. Then I saw you both running out of the alley.”

Vasili headed north through Manhattan as he spoke.

“But what would make them suddenly suspicious of us?” Tatyana asked. “We did nothing suspicious.”

“You do not know, then,” he said.

“About what?” she asked.

We passed a tall stone wall that went for many blocks. It reminded me of the Kremlin wall in Moscow, only this wall was grey, not red. What lay behind this wall, though? And why was Vasili putting himself at risk for our sake?

“Your father was found dead an hour ago, Tatyana,” he said. “It is possible that he was poisoned. This has not been proven yet, though.”

“How did you hear about it?” she asked.

“Because your mother called me soon after,” he said. “She was very worried about your safety.”

“Where did she call from?” she asked.

“She did not say,” Vasili said. “The call was very short. Maybe one minute, or two minutes at most. She said she would call back if she could. If she could not, I was to assume that either she could not safely do so, or that she was also dead.”

Though Tatyana and I had been best friends since she joined the Bolshoi Ballet, I confess that I had learned very little about her family. She almost never spoke about her parents and I had always respected that.

“We cannot go to either airport,” Vasili went on. “They would be watching every flight leaving from them. However, they might not be watching the train station. The train station is crowded, like many subway stations in Moscow. We might be able to hide among the crowds.”

“You cannot come with us,” Tatyana told him. “It is not safe. In any case, you must continue the rehearsals.”

“I asked Darya to take over for me,” he said. “She did not argue; she just nodded.”

“You did say you wanted to retire,” Tatyana reminded me.

“But not like this,” I said.

December 22, 2020 06:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

71 comments

Can I tell you a coincidence? I also wrote about the Nutcracker for the same prompt! So it was very fun reading your story and seeing how different and yet how unique your story is, so you did a wonderful job on that! :) In general, I loved the way you added some Russian hints to it! Really enjoyed learning something new today! Also, I would be really interested in a Part 2 for this story! :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:17 Dec 28, 2020

I guess we were both thinking of something that was both dance-oriented and Christmas-oriented. I'm a lousy dancer (the only kind of dancing I ever got any good at was square-dancing and that was about 40 years ago), but I've seen people dance on-stage (mostly in movies, on TV, and in YouTube videos) so it wasn't hard to imagine being on-stage, watching dancers do their magic. But once I was done with the rehearsal section of the story, I was left with: "Okay - now what?" So I thought, "What if Tatyana and Marga go to Times Square?" Bec...

Reply

That makes sense for the entire Russian scheme which was after their rehearsal! :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:01 Dec 28, 2020

Now I just have to figure out what happens next. So many possible directions, but which one would work best? I have the feeling I'll be doing more research via Google to try to keep my information as plausible (if not exactly like real life) as possible. A good example of *not* keeping things straight in a story is this: I was writing another story late last night that took place during 1942 in the South Pacific (and hopefully isn't *too* much like the movie "Father Goose", which came out in 1964), and discovered my geography was *way* o...

Reply

I guess go with only changing the location, otherwise you would have to change the entire plot, and re-write the story which you worked so hard on, but do submit the story! You could make it like a Part 1 and a Part 2. You're right. An editor's job is almost never finished! xD

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:44 Dec 28, 2020

Even just changing locations (one or both) is going to take some serious rewriting. *sigh* I really should've checked the geography first, and then started writing the story. But I was writing at night (from about 10 pm to 3 am), so mistakes are more frequent when I'm tired. I think it would have to be at least Part 1 (of at least two or three Parts). It won't be anything romantic, as far as I can tell. The woman in the story is a widow and she's taking care of two girls who are the daughters of someone else. She and the narrator don'...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nainika Gupta
18:57 Dec 26, 2020

What a simple yet powerful story, Phillip. I truly enjoyed it, and was happy to learn some Russian along the way! I loved the ending, and didn't want the story to stop :) are you planning a part 2?? wait...you said you were - don't mind me :) I can't wait to read it!!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
03:49 Dec 27, 2020

I'm not fluent in Russian (unlike my late father; he learned Russian at the US Army's language school in Monterey, California, before I was born). I knew what "thank you" was in Russian, but not "you're welcome". I had to look that up via Google. The story only stopped where it stopped because I ran out of words (3000 can be rather limiting sometimes, but it probably also keeps my plotting from falling apart on me). I'm still thinking of where the story might go next, what might happen, etc. Nothing definite yet. I'm mostly waiting for...

Reply

Nainika Gupta
14:09 Dec 27, 2020

Oh, that's so cool!! I've always admired Russian, just for the way the language is spoken and held in regard to its people. I know the word count can be a bit limiting!! On my story "Fool's Tear's" I actually had to cut a bunch from the ending because it wouldn't let me submit it :) Although it probably works better with part 3 that I'm working on, so it works to my benefit!!! Personally, I would love a darker Part 2, as it emulates the darkness from part 1 and builds on it!!! I know, I wish we could submit to older prompts because some of ...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:26 Dec 27, 2020

I confess that I've never studied the Russian language (I've picked it up from my late father, from books, TV shows, and movies). But I did study Russian history for one year in college. My late father was a Soviet specialist while he was in the US Army (1954 or 1955 to 1977). I remember helping him take his office stuff from where he used to work to home, and saw, for the first and only time, a Cyrillic typewriter. It was rather large (bigger than an IBM Selectric typewriter). My late father said it's rare to see one outside of Russia....

Reply

Nainika Gupta
20:31 Dec 27, 2020

aww, that sounds like a fun thing for your father to do!! And I agree, I thought I would struggle to complete 1000 words, let alone 3000!! But I soon found out that my imagination didn't wanna be hindered to 3000, and I've tried to lessen up on the word count :) And of course, some of the prompts for this week have been a little tricky to get over 1000 words, like my story "Maybe, Probably, Definitely" and "Bombs Away" but, it's a good challenge!! Yay!! I agree, the idea of $50 is pretty amazing, but if even a couple people like what I writ...

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:02 Dec 27, 2020

What I've learned (mostly from the other writers on this website) is this: If a story is determined to continue past 3000 (and can't be reduced, without hurting it, to 3000 or less), then maybe that should be the dividing point, and another story prompt could inspire the next 3000 words. I've done that with my series that goes from "Breaking with Tradition" to "Mi Casa, Su Casa" (which, interestingly enough, never gets said by any of the characters in that story). I was lucky to keep finding story prompts that would inspire a sequel to th...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:40 Dec 24, 2020

Well written even though Christmas is not my thing this year. I have submitted an additional story on the new prompts today called Taken. There is a Lead in, the ten second action, then the lead out. Theta Story line.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:50 Dec 24, 2020

Thank you. I've been on stage (usually as a member of a singing chorus or choir, but once as a country doctor with one short line of dialogue), but it's not a place I'm comfortable being. I tried to imagine being there as someone who *liked* being there, even if mostly off-stage, watching what's happening on-stage. Like watching an illusionist on-stage, watching a ballet or play or opera is like watching magic come to life. You temporarily suspend disbelief and surrender to the power of what you are watching and listening to. What happe...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
07:19 Dec 24, 2020

Aw, no! The ending was sad indeed. I truly loved how you ended with that line, and the names were unique. Keep it up! Looking forward to reading more like this!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
20:38 Dec 24, 2020

Glad you liked it. I didn't think that the ending was sad, just sudden (I hit the upper limit of 3000 words, and couldn't think of a way to reduce the word-count so that I had more words to work with). I'm still brainstorming what might happen next. There are more plausible possibilities, and then some that are probably just dead ends (rather like trying to make your way through a maze). I would like to write Part 2 and see if I can keep it going without it wandering off-course or becoming something that I have a hard time writing (I'm n...

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
21:44 Dec 24, 2020

Yes, yes very true indeed. There are a lot of ways and a lot of questions about how the Russians knew where Tatyana and Marga went after they left the opera house.

Reply

Philip Clayberg
05:13 Dec 25, 2020

I'll have to brainstorm and see which path seems to be the best one. I'll probably end up doing more than one draft, trying to get at the best-possible plot for the story. But, as a gambler would say, "If you don't gamble, you can't win." If the overall story develops into something that reads like a story by the late John le Carre mixed with the late Robert Ludlum and the late Tanith Lee, I'll take it as a compliment. Over the last 35 years or so, I've read (and reread) books by all three of them and never thought that I would ever writ...

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
11:57 Dec 27, 2020

Haha, yes. Aw, no don't say that! You're already as good as them!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:49 Dec 27, 2020

I wish I could believe that. But I won't stop because I don't believe it (at least not yet). There's always room for improvement. As long as my creative drive lasts (until the next creative drought hits; I've sometimes gone for months without any desire to write and without any seemingly worthwhile ideas to inspire me), I'll do my best to be as creative and as well-written as possible. And as long as my stories (and poems) keep surprising me, showing me and teaching me things that I wasn't conscious of, then yes, of course, I'll keep wri...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Beth Connor
01:50 Jan 08, 2021

I love that your back up was a ballet dancer! I admit I got a bit distracted when you mentioned Benaroya hall- We usually go see the Nutcracker every year (Most often at McCaw with PNB ) I loved how the suspense developed- I hope to hear what happened!!

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:55 Feb 07, 2021

The ballet dancer idea was sort of borrowed from one of the Hallmark Christmas movies. The one with "The Nutcracker" in the title. Not all of my ideas are as original as I wish they could be. Since I've visited Seattle many times over the last 30 or so years (as well as my first visit back in 1974), I've wandered around the city (mainly the area between the waterfront and the I-5 freeway), and tried to think of where they have halls where ballets could be performed. Benaroya Hall popped into my head so I mentioned it in the story. I've ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:59 Jan 05, 2021

Wow, this didn't go the direction I was expecting! I hope Marga and Tatyana have a safe 'retirement'

Reply

Philip Clayberg
21:12 Jan 05, 2021

This is another story that is waiting for a sequel. I wish I could say that sequels are always easy to write, but they aren't. I got lucky with the series that starts with "Breaking with Tradition". Six stories in all so far, and there's still more to write about. I wish that the choice of prompts were different, but I'll do what I can with what's posted each Friday. The next story after "Exodus" might actually be (temporarily) from a different point-of-view (not Vasili's, Marga's, or Tatyana's). At least, that's where the inspiration ...

Reply

17:25 Jan 06, 2021

I think a 'hopeful ending' is a very good idea! So much depends on the prompts, though. Some of the time, they work out just fine, and then other times major creativity is in order

Reply

Philip Clayberg
04:44 Jan 07, 2021

When I think of a hopeful ending, I think of the ending of John le Carre's novel, "The Russia House". In the movie, there's a happy ending, which I rather disliked. The book had a hopeful ending, so why couldn't the movie have one as well? They also changed the Russian character's nickname from "Goethe" to "Dante", which I thought was a *huge* mistake. Dante would make one think of "Dante's Inferno" (about Dante's visit to Hell), whereas Goethe wouldn't. They also took some other liberties with the story, which I wish they hadn't. So I...

Reply

19:11 Jan 07, 2021

"The Russia House" looks interesting! I've read some of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's work about Russia in the 50s and 60s, but I'd like to learn more about the later 20th century. I'm also bothered when film people change things from the books they're adapting, so I probably wouldn't watch the movie. A hopeful ending sounds like the right choice for "The Russia House"--but in the case of "The Show Must Go On," a happy ending worked well

Reply

Philip Clayberg
19:45 Feb 07, 2021

I've read Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" (this was back in high school). I tried reading his book, "The Gulag Archipelago", but the first chapter was just too dark and depressing to me (it discussed the Stalin-era night-time kidnapping of people and sending them to gulags in places like Siberia). I've tried reading other books by the late John le Carre', but "The Russia House" was the only one that really grabbed me. Some were just too dark and too depressing. Like "The Looking Glass War" and "A Perfect Spy". "S...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rena Mistinguett
03:22 Dec 30, 2020

What a gripping story that seems like it has much more to come... very well done :)

Reply

Philip Clayberg
23:30 Dec 30, 2020

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry that it stopped where it did (I tend to bump into the 3000-word upper limit more than hover around 2000 words or less). There will be more, once I can find a weekly story prompt that I can put to use. It's nice to write a self-contained, standalone story, but sometimes it's also nice to start a longer overall story, one "chapter" at a time. I just didn't expect it to happen so often. I think I have several incomplete overall stories right now that I really would like to add to.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.