Reasons to Be Thankful

Submitted into Contest #149 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely group (or pair) of friends.... view prompt

41 comments

Indigenous American Happy

The first thing I notice when I poke my head in the university's Indigenous Peoples' Appreciation Club is that there are only two members, one guy and one girl. The second thing I notice is that neither is Indigenous.


They sit at adjacent desks in the corner of the classroom. The girl, whose platinum hair is brighter than the overhead lighting, poses for a selfie, closing one eye and flashing a peace sign Nixon-style. The guy preoccupies himself with a game of Pokémon Go, swiping violently at his phone screen and cursing his rotten luck. Rows of empty tables and chairs flank them. The walls are cluttered with pictures of pumpkins and turkeys.


I'm standing there in the doorway, the threshold between my world and this unfamiliar territory, when the guy drops his phone on his desk, groans, leans back. Our eyes meet. Before I can escape, he springs to his feet and beckons, makes his way to me. "Please, come in, come in! Don't be shy."


Behind him the girl shakes her head, deposits her phone in her pocket, follows his lead.


"What brings you here today?" the guy asks. He hasn't blinked or taken his eyes off me; he's been too busy inspecting me like a gemologist appraising a rare find. I can practically see the Venn diagram forming in his mind: one circle comparing my thin brown arms to his thin pale ones, another contrasting my black ponytail to his copper crew cut. There is very little overlap. "Come to join the fray in the fight against Indigenous oppression?"


"Uh, not exactly," I say, and admit to only stopping by because I saw one of their Xeroxed flyers in the hallway. All over campus there are drawings of a Cherokee in a headdress shaking hands with a grinning turkey, while the decapitated head of a pilgrim sits on a plate between them. And, inexplicably, Uncle Sam looms in the background, pointing his galvanizing finger while the words "I Want You For Indigenous Peoples' Appreciation" hover beneath him.


"Thanks," the girl says with a turkey-like grin. "I designed those myself."


"Heavens, where are our manners?" the guy says, clapping the girl's shoulder. "I'm Clancy, and this is Darla."


"Anakin," I say, and we all shake hands. Clancy's face falls when I inform them my last name isn't Skywalker. Without missing a beat, Darla offers a Vulcan salute and says, "May the Force be with you."


"And also with you," Clancy replies, his voice reverent as a prayer. They bow their heads.


Then Darla turns to me, asks, "So, what are you?"


"Huh?"


"What kind of Indigenous Person?" Her words come out slow and stilted, like a drunk person being asked to recite the alphabet backwards.


"Oh," I say, and let the word linger a bit. Darla looks unfazed, so I add, "The Navajo Nation."


"No way!" she shrieks. "My stepdad is one-sixteenth Navajo!"


What she wants me to do with this information is unclear. Before I can find out, Clancy taps the table twice with his palm.


"People, people, we'll have plenty of time to spill the tea after the club meeting," he says, walking back to his desk.


Darla huffs but returns to her table. When she motions to the desk beside hers, I know it's too late to leave. In a gesture of reverse chivalry, she pulls out the chair, waits until my butt collides with the hard plastic, then tries unsuccessfully to push my seat in.


Clancy checks his wristwatch, announces that it's now four o'clock. "All right, now that we're all here, let's get this meeting started. First order of—"


"Wait, this is it?" I ask. "It's just us?"


The two of them exchange glances, a semaphore of blinking and winking and eye-rolling. It is Darla who says, "The other members currently have food poisoning and couldn't make it." Now she speaks with the tone of a drunk person being asked to recite the alphabet backwards, three times fast.


"Oh," I say, and let it linger.


"First order of business," Clancy continues, undeterred. "Thanksgiving is in a week and this year we'll be having our Appreciation Club dinner at my place."


Reaching into his knapsack, he withdraws another flyer and passes it to Darla, who passes it to me. I can tell she designed this one too. It's identical to the ones in the hallway, with the same Cherokee and grinning turkey and beheaded pilgrim, except for Uncle Sam's caption, which now reads "I Want You For Dinner." I try not to read too much into that.


"Now, I know what you're thinking," Clancy says, holding his hands out, his palms angled toward me. "And no, we don't condone Thanksgiving. We know the history, what it means for Indigenous peoples. But this dinner is tasteful. It's light. It's fun. Right, D?"


Darla sacrifices a moment of her precious time to glance up from the flyer, to look away from her handiwork, and offers a perfunctory "Yep."


Then Clancy turns to me and winks, and for a moment, even though it's over, I feel included in their semaphore. I feel like I'm a part of something bigger than myself.


He says, "And you're invited, Anakin." And now he's grinning like a turkey too.


***


Being here at the university hasn't been easy for me. It's harder than I expected, not having my family or anyone to talk to. Before coming here, my parents told me to make friends, to find a tribe of my own. And I've tried, but my dormmate refuses to talk to me ever since I took the bed that he wanted on the first day of orientation, and my classmates haven't been much better. That's why I accepted the invitation to the dinner party. Clancy promised the other club members would be here this time.


Today is my second chance, my chance to find my tribe.


As it happens, Clancy's home is an apartment a few blocks from the campus, funded entirely by his parents. It's one of those new-school complexes, with wide windows and a communal swimming pool and a modicum of front yard. Someone three stories above stands on their balcony with a wispy cigarette, filling the cool autumn air with a haze of smoke. A plane passes by overhead, shrouding us in shadow.


As instructed, at the entrance I push the apartment buzzer and wait for Clancy to respond. Instead, half a minute later, Darla's staticky voice eases through the machine. "Who is it?"


When I tell her, she says, "Oh," and lets it linger. Clancy's voice floats in the background, and Darla shouts my name to him. Then she goes, "What's the magic word, Anakin?"


Suppressing a sigh, I give her what she wants to hear, the word she told me to remember last week to gain entry into the building: "Tofurky."


Which is exactly what's loitering on the dining table when I enter, imbuing the apartment with warmth and the stench of plant-based meat substitute. The walls here are adorned with brown-and-white pennants bearing our university's name. A potted yucca plant sits in the corner of the room. Darla is lounging on the couch watching TikTok videos. Clancy is in the kitchen opening and closing the oven door.


There is no one else here.


"Just us?" I say, a beat too late. It takes everything in me to keep my tone light, casual. Neither of them have designated a good place to sit, so I idle by the doorway. "Did everyone else get food poisoning again?" I ask, eyeing the Tofurky.


Clancy looks over his shoulder to the couch, blinks twice. And maybe they practiced their routine before I got here because it is Darla, eyes still glued on her phone, who once again answers. "Nope. They all went home to their families. Holiday and whatnot. You understand."


No, I don't, I want to say, but she's too busy laughing at people's sloppy dance moves.


"Sorry, buddy," Clancy adds, unleashing another ripple of heat when he opens the oven door. From this angle I can't tell if there's anything inside there or not. "I was so looking forward to you meeting the others."


"Yeah, me too," I mutter.


The doorknob presses into my lower back. It would be so easy to cross the threshold and leave these two behind, to forget this club and this dinner invitation and the weeks' worth of social media friend requests Darla's been sending.


But when she looks up from her phone and motions to the spot beside her on the couch, I know it's too late to leave.


Clancy joins us in the living room, and the three of us spend the next thirty minutes playing a game of Charades. I'm not sure when exactly it is—maybe when Darla puts an invisible cup to her lips and pretends to gulp a pumpkin spice latte, or perhaps when Clancy wattles his neck like a turkey and places his fists on his ribs to imitate the flapping of wings—but I start to feel my stomach unknot and my muscles relax. The air around us is warm and filled with the sound of our laughter.


Neither of them ever guess right when it's my turn. When I punched an imaginary speed bag like Rocky Balboa, Clancy guessed Last of the Mohicans. When I twirled my arm like I was working a tire jack, Darla blurted "kayaking." And when I threw a lowball and pretended to be the Statue of Liberty, bringing my feet together and holding one hand to the ceiling and the other over my chest, they scratched their heads and blinked.


I'd like to think that means I'm winning. I try not to read too much into it.


Clancy is in the middle of performing the Y.M.C.A. dance when his wristwatch beeps. "Ope, it's time to eat," he declares, breaking his silence and the M-pose. He slips into the kitchen, returns to the dining table with an anemic mound of mashed potatoes on a paper plate, places it by the Tofurky.


That's all the food there is. I'm not quite sure what he was doing with the oven door when I showed up.


"Looks good, looks good," Darla says as we gather around our meal. Of course, she's scrolling through her album of selfies right now, so whether she means the food or the photos is anyone's guess.


Clancy does his best job of cutting the Tofurky, but it fights back, tough as a boxer. He makes uneven slices, lancing the meat substitute at improbable angles and distributing chunks and scraps on our plates in equal portions. Satisfied, he nods and looks first at Darla and then me.


"I think it'd be lovely if we went around the table and express our gratitude," he says. "We should say the reasons we have to be thankful."


"Kay," Darla agrees. Without consulting me, she points to Clancy like she's Uncle Sam. "You go first then."


"Okay," he says, cupping his chin in his hand and closing his eyes. "Okay, how about this? I'm thankful for the Indigenous peoples who worked so hard to make this land what it is. There. Your turn, D."


Darla's eyes crawl up to a spot on the ceiling where there's a dark stain. She's still staring at it when she says, "I'm thankful for the Indigenous Peoples' Appreciation Club and its loyal members for sacrificing their time to be here today." Her voice is surprisingly earnest, like a sober person reciting the alphabet forwards.


Then they both turn to me, their faces contorting with expectant smiles. I can see them waiting, willing me to bestow my Indigenous experience and knowledge, to regale them with stories of my time on the reservation. Waiting for things I can't provide them because I grew up in the city, just the same as them. Clancy is not-so-subtly casting his gaze on the yucca plant in the corner, as if my looking at it will provide me with the anecdote he's looking for.


It takes me a while before I stumble upon my answer. "Instagram," I say. "I'm thankful for Instagram."


Darla gives a swift, modest nod of approval. Clancy's face falls the same way it did a week ago, when I told him my last name is not Skywalker but Todachine.


"Okay," Clancy says after a half-minute of silence. His voice is syrupy with hesitation. "My turn again, right?" And he says, "I'm thankful that the Indigenous peoples still live here and didn't emigrate after what our ancestors did." 


Darla, already grasping at straws, says, "I'm thankful for this delicious-looking Tofurky."


When it's my turn again, I tell them I'm thankful for Netflix.


The third time around is when Clancy snaps, right after I give thanks to Taco Bell's cravings value menu.


"That's not what you're supposed to say, Anakin," he announces.


"It's not?" I say, feigning ignorance as best I can. "What am I supposed to say then?"


"You know," Clancy replies.


Darla stabs the Tofurky with a fork repeatedly, maybe as a distraction, but it's too late now.


"No, I don't know, Clancy," I say. "Tell me. What is it you want me to say?"


He opens his mouth, closes it, blushes. But none of that stops him from saying, "We want to know what it was like growing up. You know, 'out there.'" He uses air quotes around the last two words, just to be safe.


I sigh. It's not the first time I've been asked this. "Look, I hate to tell you this, but 'out there' is Brooklyn. That's where I'm from, the borough. New York. I wasn't raised on a reservation. We didn't live in teepees. There were no smokes signals, no horses. I'm sorry to disappoint you." My voice comes out louder than intended, more aggressive, less forgiving.


Clancy stares at his plate of Tofurky, his mouth twisting into something that looks like a broken smile. He lowers his head. His body heaves forward, jolted by little hiccups. I only realize he isn't laughing when his face starts to glisten from a thin trail of tears.


"I'm so stupid," he says, then again. Darla rubs his back, makes a consoling cooing noise.


Whatever anger I felt has now been tamped down by the gravity of the situation. "It's okay," I tell him, feeling the heat from the Tofurky on my face. "You didn't know. You couldn't have."


He sniffles. "But I did. I did know." 


"Shh," Darla says, but Clancy shakes his head.


"My ex-boyfriend was an Indigenous person," he says, his voice quiet and strained. "I did know."


And it occurs to me that Darla is probably in the Indigenous Peoples' Apprecation Club because of her one-sixteenth Navajo stepdad, but I haven't discovered a reason for Clancy's membership, for his being the club leader. Until now.


Darla stares at me, and it's clear from her expression that this isn't part of the routine, that this isn't something they rehearsed, that maybe she didn't even know this about Clancy. She blinks slowly, a semaphore of her own, then leans in closer.


"But it was different with him, different than what you experienced," Clancy says. "I guess I just. . .I just thought that maybe," and he stops, gesturing to the room as a whole, the yucca plant and the Tofurky and me.


We let his words linger for a bit.


And before I know what I'm doing, I reach across the table and pat his hand. His skin is hot to the touch. "Look, man. I appreciate it. Really, I do. But you don't have to do all this. To me, this is just a day like any other, and I just want to spend it with my friends."


And it isn't until the words are out in the open that I realize they're true: these people are my friends. My tribe. I know it's too late to leave now, and maybe I'm okay with that.


I say, "Can't we just do something normal, like watch TV or something?"


"Yeah," Darla agrees, and grins her turkey-like grin. "I'm thankful for TV. And for movie marathons on Thanksgiving."


Clancy sniffles, wipes his face with his shirtsleeve. "Yeah. Yeah, all right. We can do that."


"Sweet," Darla says, grabbing her plate of Tofurky and heading to the couch. We follow her as she turns on the TV and flips through the channels so fast that I'm wondering if she's even paying attention to the screen. I have my answer when she stops abruptly on a familiar movie.


We sit together on the couch eating rubbery faux meat and watch as, on the screen in front of us, Anakin Skywalker is getting ready to embark on an arduous journey. He's stepping through a door, crossing the threshold into unknown territory, when Obi-Wan calls his name. "May the Force be with you," says the master to the student.


"And also with you," Clancy and Darla say together through mouthfuls of Tofurky, bowing their heads. And this time I say it with them.

June 11, 2022 03:49

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

41 comments

Riel Rosehill
07:59 Jun 11, 2022

Hey Zack! I'm crawling out from the post submission depression just to comment on this. (I'm feeling like I should just give up on short stories right now...) As always, it's a real treat to read this - congrats for ticking off another two genre tags! I'm impressed by how consistently you manage to do that AND also post really good stories every week. I'm jealous. I almost submitted my story to the same prompt - but yours is a perfect take on it! Very unlikely group of friends and I'm so here for it! I loves how entertaining this was, fr...

Reply

Zack Powell
16:30 Jun 11, 2022

Shoutout to you for inspiring me to do a Happy story this week. I read yours from last week and I'm like "You know what, I think I'll try that too." (Me and Happy are second cousins twice removed, clearly.) And it's funny: Your stories lately have been touching on multiple prompts at once, so you could honestly have slotted yours from this week into this category and been fine. (I think you chose the right prompt, though.) LOL, imagine accepting an invitation to a dinner party after finding out that the other members contracted food poisoni...

Reply

Riel Rosehill
16:49 Jun 11, 2022

I think my stories touch on multiple prompts because when I read them I can't help but subconciously use a few to come up with an idea..! It's weird. Probably just my desperate attempts to grasp any ispiration for a coming up with a plot! I think I didn't quite put what I meant about this ". . ." - it isn't really an issue, the last dot not having a space after it though, that's what caught my eye, I just failed to articulate! But that's where I'm like... i need a spade between "." and "I", otherwise I have nothing against the quirky dots, ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
09:46 Jul 08, 2022

I like how awkward this is, how the two who formed the club are expecting some noble savage crap from Anakin instead of a normal kid at university. I think in Anakin’s shoes I would have called them out for it sooner. He wasn’t very forceful at all. Being thankful for Netflix and Instagram even sarcastically is exactly what I imagine kids holding hands at the table would say while they’re itching to pick up their phones again. Everyone has probably had some experience like this, this is like English people telling me I don’t sound Scottish b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amanda Lieser
04:41 Jun 17, 2022

Hi Zack! I was so excited to see your piece for this week’s prompts. It was incredible. My favorite line was: What she wants me to do with this information is unclear. I just wanted to scream with joy at reading that line. You did such a beautiful job of capturing the mundane moments that feel big to your MC. I also love how you wrote that he is searching for his tribe. A while back, I wrote a piece with a similar vein called Brunch With Grandma which touched on some of my experiences as an Asian American. Thank you so much for creating this...

Reply

Zack Powell
16:44 Jun 17, 2022

Thanks, Amanda! The mundane moments are the most fun to me because it can really show you what a character is made of, what lengths they'll go to achieve their goals. I'll be sure to take a look at your Brunch With Grandma story this weekend - I really enjoyed your newest piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
20:42 Jun 16, 2022

I love your story and the quality of your writing, what a great read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Seán McNicholl
23:31 Jun 15, 2022

Brilliantly written Zack - captured that teen awkwardness and the desire to “fit in” so well here. Very witty and humorous too! Enjoyed this!

Reply

Zack Powell
00:47 Jun 16, 2022

Thank you, Seán! You got just what I was going for. Appreciate your reading this.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Patrick Samuel
19:00 Jun 15, 2022

"I Want You For Dinner." I try not to read too much into that. After that line, I was ready to follow Anakin anywhere, even to what I could tell would be an awful dinner party. This read like the Gen Z version of a John Hugues film - a Breakfast Club deserted by all the jocks and prom queens, with the remaining nerds trying hard for politically correct coolness and only managing to betray their loneliness. I love how it starts cringingly funny and ends up so endearing, once the characters are naked before us in all their pathos and there's ...

Reply

Zack Powell
19:31 Jun 15, 2022

Thanks, Patrick! Coming from you, this is such a lovely compliment. Gen Z Breakfast Club might be my favorite comparison I've ever received on a story, and I'm loving it. Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for reading this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carolyn Brown
17:15 Jun 15, 2022

Wonderful! I laughed all the way through :) Once I joined a recycling club (I'm still embarrassed) but I quit when the boss girl insisted that brand new paper had to be recycled because it was in the recycling box. Your story is all about preconceptions that are tough to break, no matter how ridiculous they look from the outside. I love how you turned it around with poor Clancy to show that there are reasons for the ways people think - and therefore there are ways to make change too. I'm afraid I never gave my boss girl a chance to reve...

Reply

Zack Powell
19:26 Jun 15, 2022

Thanks, Carolyn! I can't blame you for quitting in the moment - the proper location for brand new paper seems like such a funny hill to die on. Glad you got what I was going for here. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
10:57 Jun 15, 2022

Hi Zack, catching up on my reading! There's a lot going on in this story, but you handled it really well. Subtle dialogue, hints here and there. A lot of humour too! There was a point when I thought they were going to turn out to be psychopaths and murder Anakin (Darla just felt really strange to me, and then the oven was on with nothing in it...) , but thankfully, I was wrong! Lovely happy ending. Yey!

Reply

Zack Powell
15:29 Jun 15, 2022

Thanks, Rachel! Glad the dialogue and humor worked here. And LOL, Darla and Clancy being murders would've been a hell of a twist. I just got done reading your newest story, and wow! Threw me for a total loop. Gonna drop you a comment when I take a minute to compose myself.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kai Corvus
03:49 Jun 14, 2022

Really, really liked this story! I’ve been catching up on reading stories that were submitted for prompt 149, and I was glad that I got a break from the vaguely-intense-and-depressing stories to read one of yours that ends happily! (Especially after reading Thom Brodkin’s - have you checked that one out yet? If not, you should.) I enjoyed the Indigenous American perspective on this one, especially the integration into the plot. The take on the prompt was extremely creative (as always) and the entire plot flowed very nicely. I do think that...

Reply

Zack Powell
05:41 Jun 14, 2022

Thanks, Kai! You're right - there are quite a lot of intense and depressive stories this week (but they're all well-written, so I really can't complain). Glad this could fulfill the happy ending quota. Big thanks for the comment on the friendship! This is a story I'm very interested in pursuing further, both in revising and redrafting, so it's incredibly helpful to know where improvements need to be made for version 2.0. Couldn't be happier to read your feedback. Much appreciated! Don't get your hopes up too high for my story this week. I ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
01:35 Jun 13, 2022

Hey, Zack! Great story :D On the surface, it's certainly a happy story. The end is a bright spot for all three characters, but they don't just have it given to them, they have to work for it. So we appreciate the journey. There's social friction, disappointment and disillusionment, and other hurdles to cross. Anakin struggles to find belonging in a world that's new to him, and where he's alone. His choices don't initially look great, and only when he gives them a chance does he realize things might work. The others, Clancy particularly, s...

Reply

Zack Powell
15:43 Jun 13, 2022

Thank you for such a detailed, precise comment, Michał! It's always a pleasure to see your take on stories. And once again, you caught exactly the things I was going for with this one. I really wish I could take credit for the Vulcan salute line being deeper than it is. I only wrote it because I thought it was funny for Darla to reference two different forms of media at once. But it looks like you can absolutely read it symbolically, as you have, so bonus points for thinking two steps ahead of me. Very glad the irony of the club came thro...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katy B
18:33 Jun 12, 2022

The posters are HILARIOUS! I actually knew at least one "Anakin" when I was in school, so I thought that was a really accurate name for him. I like your style of repeating certain phrases to show their significance. It really brings out the character development near the end when Darla "is surprisingly earnest, like a sober person reciting the alphabet forwards" (a very funny line by the way). Well done!

Reply

Zack Powell
19:41 Jun 12, 2022

Thanks, Katy! I just came from reading your story and I was blown away, so this is high praise. This was a lot of fun to write, so I'm glad you got something out of it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
02:35 Jun 12, 2022

Hello Zack! Finally tackling my Reedsy TBR list and had to stop by on your story for the week. Really enjoyed the quirky characters in here. Darla was a hoot, and poor Clancy was just so loveable. Anakin's personality was super fun: thankful for IG, Netflix, and Taco Bell. My kind of guy lol I can't remember if you said you were a Star Wars fan or not, but I appreciated the sprinkling of references throughout and how you tied it up nicely at the end. (Ending was nice, btw). Your dialogue was also on point, my friend. Good luck this wee...

Reply

Zack Powell
05:02 Jun 12, 2022

My favorite hermit! Glad to see you pop in for a visit. This was definitely one of those stories where the characters, and not the author, dictated the direction the story was going to go. Clancy and Darla were a trip. Lotta fun to write them. Confession: Not only am I not a fan of Star Wars (my attention span won't let me sit through that much world building - same with Lord of the Rings), I'm embarrassed to say that I had to Google/fact-check the meager amount of movie references I had in here just to make sure I didn't mess anything up....

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ace Quinnton
23:44 Jun 11, 2022

Indigenous people are interesting to learn about, especially when they've grown up there, and moved to a whole different place. I bet it's hard to adapt to all the newer surroundings that way, going from what you're used to, and getting something else entirely. It's an expectation vs. reality scenario. This story reminded me of a memory I had in the third grade, when a Swedish gal came to hot-as-heck California. My classmates and I were fascinated in her, asking tons of questions about what it was like there and such. I adore it when peo...

Reply

Zack Powell
04:53 Jun 12, 2022

Thanks, Ace. Indigenous people have definitely have an interesting culture, so this was a fun one to write, especially playing around with the expectation vs. reality dichotomy. May the Force be with you too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bradon L
22:34 Jun 11, 2022

Expanding your literary range again I see. This was excellent as usual! I love the light hearted nature of this! It was like a cold beer on a sunny day. And I love the characters. Darla reminds me of a close friend of mine. She somehow manages to be in her own little world and be present simultaneously. She would never eat tofurky though. .”I can tell she designed this one too. It's identical to the ones in the hallway, with the same Cherokee and grinning turkey and beheaded pilgrim, except for Uncle Sam's caption, which now reads "...

Reply

Zack Powell
03:39 Jun 12, 2022

Thanks, Bradon! I'm sure you know my stories tend to be a little darker. But man, something about writing something this lighthearted and upbeat really did give me that beer on a sunny day feel. 😂 This was a fun one. (Also, I don't blame your friend - I don't know anyone who would willingly eat Tofurky.)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aeris Walker
17:13 Jun 11, 2022

*Zack scrolling through genres* Let’s see, Texas during the Great Depression, Birthday Party Tragedy, Underwater Squid Romance… yep—I got this…. I am always surprised and impressed by how you write so effortlessly in any genre you choose! Great story: smooth and evocative and just FUN. I am completely obsessed with your Tofurky descriptions. “Which is exactly what's loitering on the dining table when I enter, imbuing the apartment with warmth and the stench of plant-based meat substitute.” “Clancy does his best job of cutting the Tofur...

Reply

Zack Powell
18:51 Jun 11, 2022

Trust me, if I didn't set a challenge with myself to hit up each of the genre tags at least once, every single one of my stories would look the same week after week, LOL. (And I haven't done Historical Fiction yet, so thanks for the Great Depression Texas idea.) "Fun" was my goal with this one. Just a cutesy, upbeat piece without all the gravitas and plot twists. Happy to see the Tofurky lines landed - they were a blast to write. Thanks, Aeris! Hope you have a good weekend as well.

Reply

Aeris Walker
19:56 Jun 11, 2022

Yes, I get that! Well, I think you meet the challenge of getting your feet wet in each genre. I’m cringing at the technology prompt this week…I still don’t understand WiFi, so this will be interesting 🤔 Also “Four Winds” by Kristin Hannah if you want Texan Great Depression novel …or if you just generally want to feel depressed.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
12:56 Jun 11, 2022

Amazing, as expected!! :D

Reply

Zack Powell
15:34 Jun 11, 2022

Thank you as always for your support, Awexis!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelsey H
09:56 Jun 11, 2022

I love the irony of an Indigenous People's Appreciation Club with no one turning up to their meeting, also I suspect they actually don't have any other members and possibly it was just an elaborate ploy so Clancy could have an excuse to invite Anakin for dinner?? I love how you introduced this too, with the 1st thing I notice, 2nd thing, etc. Definitely a smooth and catchy intro to the story and it's theme. There were so many little things I loved about this which all just added up to make it feel so real life and entertaining and yet also...

Reply

Zack Powell
15:56 Jun 11, 2022

You nailed it. In my mind, the club only had Clancy and Darla as members and the "others" were, as you said, a lie, a ploy. We're on the same wavelength. Glad the little details added to the story instead of detracted. I never know which way it'll go. (And yes, Tofu turkey is every bit as unpalatable as you'd think.) And thank you for the comment on the dinner scene - it's what I'm most iffy about with this piece. The "linger" lines were a style choice, but I think I might've overused it. I'm a callback fanatic, so whenever I can recycle l...

Reply

Kelsey H
20:35 Jun 11, 2022

I thought they were a bit cagey about where everyone else was! Uh no you are not loosing your mind, I did have a story up for about 5 minutes!. I submitted it at the last minute, thinking I would edit it once it was up, but then realized a part needed totally rewritten and I probably wouldn't have time before it was approved, plus people might actually read it while it was still a total mess, I was attempting something of a crime story which as you can probably guess is not my usual style. I still like the concept so will submit it to anot...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
08:58 Jun 11, 2022

Kia ora Zack. Really enjoyed this one because it's oh-so-relatable. You managed to keep the plot moving forward, add dashes of humour, and perhaps touch on cultural appropriation, and it all works seamlessly. Some of this had me cackling, including: the description of the poster, the reverse chivalry, and just "Tofurky" in general (I've never heard of it lol). Also, the turkey-like grin is an amazing mental image lmao. Too good. I suspect the bit at the end with Anakin Skywalker crossing into unknown territory was an allusion to the MC - it...

Reply

Zack Powell
16:04 Jun 11, 2022

Thank you very much for this, Shuvayon! Please do not ever hesitate to offer honest feedback and constructive criticism - I promise my feelings won't be hurt! I majored in Creative Writing, so I'm no stranger to that kind of stuff, and I'm on Reedsy to get better, so thank you again. Agree with you on both fronts too. I was ranking my stories last night after submitting this and this piece landed in the middle of the pack - "Not the best, not the worst" is how I described it to myself. And I had a suspicion the "friends" line was a smidge t...

Reply

20:54 Jun 11, 2022

No worries mate. :) You majored in Creative Writing? That explains a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
16:20 Jun 15, 2023

My favourite (part of a) line: 'like a sober person reciting the alphabet forwards.' Unexpected. What do I say now? Another great story? (Too generic). Another prodigious tale? (Too... Well, you get it). Lets just stick with I love it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Unknown User
00:54 Jun 13, 2022

<removed by user>

Reply

Zack Powell
15:19 Jun 13, 2022

Ah, the beauty of America, where anyone can be the leader of anything if they put their mind to it, amirite? Thank you for the thoughtful critique! Read back the dinner scene and I totally get what you're talking about. I like the suggestion of them already knowing each other - that's prime second draft material right there. Appreciate it, A.G.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.