Contest #103 shortlist ⭐️

37 comments

Funny Fiction

Karen Gleb was a disagreeable old woman. Every fold on her wrinkled face contributed to her resting scowl. And yet, the yellow bananas greeted her as she passed through the produce department like a hundred sunny upturned smiles. It made the town’s resident battle-ax sick with disgust. Mrs. Gleb glared at a woman loading her cart with bananas. Freak, thought Mrs. Gleb. Sure, the fruit tasted okay. But only a dippy clown would want such a goofy-looking thing sitting in her kitchen all week long. Instead, Karen loaded her cart with radishes, chard, liver, and brine. The natural opposites of bananas and happiness. 

The cashiers eyed each other nervously as the crotchety old woman approached the check-out counters. Who was going to be the lucky winner this week? Please, God, not me; they prayed with sweaty brows. The clerk at register two made eye contact for just a second too long. Mrs. Gleb locked in on his gaze and approached his check-out line. She’d teach him to stare at an elderly woman. 

As the clerk placed the groceries into a paper bag, he crushed Mrs. Gleb’s liver with her box of brine. 

“Do I need to call your manager over here to teach you how to pack groceries?” asked Mrs. Gleb. 

“My apologies, Ma’am,” said the clerk, “I guess you can say that I’m one banana short of a bunch today.” He wondered if the woman would soften with the old expression.  

“I wouldn’t say such a thing,” said Mrs. Gleb, “I. Hate. Bananas.” 

“Oh, my... well…” the clerk floundered. He had never met someone who hated bananas. Even if you don’t eat them, it’s still a fun word to say, thought the clerk. 

“Have a nice day,” he said as he handed the old woman her change. 

“Have a nice day, Ma’am,” corrected Mrs. Gleb. She tore the paper bag out of the young man’s hands and shuffled out of the store. 

On her walk home, she passed a Banana Republic outlet. Now, that’s a stupid name for a store peddling blazers, thought Mrs. Gleb. She noted bananas as the annoying theme of the day. The storefront was the third encounter, and it annoyed her how difficult it was to think of anything else besides bananas. She crossed the street and came upon a busy ice cream parlor. A dozen outdoor tables with red and white striped umbrellas littered the patio. However, the first thing that caught Mrs. Gleb’s attention was a banana split shared by a young couple. One banana sliced lengthwise into two upturned smiles; ice cream and a cherry on top. What kind of imbecile came up with that travesty? Frustrated, she crossed the street again, not paying any mind to traffic. Cars screeched to a halt and honked at the jaywalking woman, who neither batted an eye nor picked up her pace. A fortune-teller sat at a table outside her shop and watched the old woman cause pandemonium in the street. 

“I think a tarot card reading would benefit you today, my friend,” said the seer. 

“I’m not your friend,” said Mrs. Gleb, “but if I were, I’d advise that you get an actual job. You antique hippie.” 

“I’m getting a lot of negative energy from you,” said the seer, her hands hovering in the air between them both. 

“Well, aren’t you insightful,” said the old woman. 

“Watch the bananas. They will be the death of you!” cried the seer, as though inspired. 

Unwilling to give the fortune-teller the satisfaction of her piqued interest, the old woman growled, “Seems about right.” 

Alarmed by the seer’s warning, Mrs. Gleb counted the banana references she encountered that day. It wasn’t just a few. The bananas were piling up. She wondered, can a fruit actually kill someone? Her eyes scanned the ground for banana peels as she walked up to her condo. The property had a shared pool in the center of the complex. The pool boy, Todd, was performing his daily duties in his bright yellow banana print banana hammock. Oh, that is just blatant and sick, thought Mrs. Gleb as she unlocked the door to her unit. Before she could step inside, her landlord, Ralph, approached. 

“Mrs. Gleb, remember, you need to be out of the apartment tomorrow. Exterminator’s coming,” said Ralph. 

“And where do you suggest I go?” said the old woman. 

“Maybe you can stay with family,” suggested Ralph. 

The woman glared. 

“Or a friend?” tried Ralph. 

“What if I stay put? Will you call the police to haul me out of my home?” 

“No,” said Ralph, “but it would complicate things. Sammy said everyone needs to be out of the building. And he’s the top banana.”

“Come again?” asked Mrs. Gleb. 

“Everyone needs to be out,” he said. 

“No, after that,” said the old woman. 

“He’s the top banana? You know, like the big cheese.” 

“Well, which is he? Cheese or a banana?” 

“Does it matter?” asked Ralph. 

“Yes. That’s why I’m asking,” said Mrs. Gleb. 

“Sammy’s a banana,” decided Ralph, after some consideration. 

Mrs. Gleb massaged the bridge of her nose and exhaled. “Fine,” she said as she entered her unit and slammed the door in the man’s face. 

The following day, Mrs. Gleb boarded a bus and left town. It was true she had no place to go. But the more distance from “top banana” Sam and his chemicals, the better. A young girl wearing headphones in the row behind her was listening to Gwen Stefani so loudly the song could be heard rows away. Oh no, you don’t, thought the old woman. Arriving prepared for such an occasion, Mrs. Gleb jammed plugs far into her ears until they muffled out all auditory signs of life.  

She took out a copy of As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. Finally, she thought, something of substance. Mrs. Gleb wasn’t a connoisseur of literature. She only bought the book because she liked its title. As banana symbolism presented itself in the text, her face contorted in shock. Ears still plugged, Mrs. Gleb shouted, “WHAT THE HELL IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND BANANAS!” Mrs. Gleb barged off the bus at the airport, convinced that traveling to the next town wouldn’t cut it. She would need to board a plane north to escape this fruity blight on the map, once and for all. 

She purchased a seat on a non-stop flight to Maine. Lobster. Now that is serious food, she thought. I’ll take a sea cockroach over a banana any day. Before getting comfortable, she thought it best to cover all bases. She waved the flight attendant over to her seat. 

“How can I help you, Hon?” said the peppy young woman. 

“You can start by guaranteeing me that this will be a banana-free flight, Hon.” 

“There won’t be,” she answered. 

“There won’t be what?” probed Mrs. Gleb. 

“Bananas, of course!” said the woman. 

“You’re sure you don’t have any?” said the old woman, demanding absolute clarity. 

The cheerful flight attendant quipped in a singsong voice, “Yes, we have no bananas -” 

Mrs. Gleb grabbed the young woman by the shirt. “Now, don’t get cute with me, you little snot. If I see so much as one banana, I’m going to go straight to your manager. Or my name isn’t Karen Gleb.” 

The flight attendant sucked in the corners of her mouth to stop herself from laughing as she asked, “Are you the original Karen?” 

Mrs. Gleb released the flight attendant when the pilot announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, fasten your seatbelts. We’re experiencing some turbulence due to poor weather.”

The plane shook with increasing intensity, and the oxygen masks dropped from above. As Mrs. Gleb rushed to don her mask, she elbowed the little girl next to her in the face without apology. Well, get out of my way, thought the old woman. This is a crisis, and I am your elder. 

“Everything is fine,” said the pilot over the intercom, “This weather formation is just… bananas!” 

That was the last thing Mrs. Gleb heard before the plane fell out of the sky. The next thing she knew, she was clinging to a wing in the middle of the ocean. A yellow banana-looking raft appeared, and she seriously considered drowning to death rather than going near the thing. Don’t be ridiculous, Mrs. Gleb thought to herself as she clamored aboard. It just looks like a banana. The raft had oars, and the survivors rowed their way to a nearby deserted island with no help from the old woman. 

The survivors surveyed the beach. Upon taking inventory, they agreed that locating food and water was crucial to their survival. Soon after commencing their search through the fringes of the jungle, they realized the island had a wealth of bananas. Upon hearing the news, Mrs. Gleb began kicking and punching the nearest banana tree. The tall stalk swayed back and forth as she repeatedly struck its base. The blows caused a colossal bushel of bananas to detach from their stalk, hurtle to earth, and land on top of the furious woman. The crew members rushed to investigate the loud thud. They saw the bushel of bananas on the ground with Mrs. Gleb’s arms and legs flailing out from underneath it. 

As they hauled the fruit off of the old woman, the flight attendant said, “Hey, I thought you hated bananas!” 

Delirious, Mrs. Gleb requested to speak to the manager. The group reminded her they were all survivors of a plane crash. “Hon, there is no manager on the island,” said the flight attendant. 

“Like hell, there’s not,” mumbled the stubborn old woman, spitting out a broken tooth. 

For the next two days, Mrs. Gleb sat in the fetal position, gnawing at her fingernails and rocking back and forth. She was losing her mind to hunger. The others had had a ball harvesting bananas, singing Harry Belafonte’s “Banana Boat Song.” There was joy on this desolate island, and it was causing the old woman to snap. 

Unwilling to let her fellow survivors witness her defeat, she waited long after nightfall before tearing a banana off a bunch. She stuffed the whole fruit in her mouth and munched. See, I’m not afraid of a damn banana, thought Mrs. Gleb. The fruit was just sweet enough, dense, and satisfying. She ate another. So what if they’re cheerful? And another. And another. She smiled at the peels around her feet; the silky skins cool on her toes. She giggled as she took another. And another. She was belly laughing, almost in complete hysterics, eating her eighth banana. She slid on the peels in the darkness and reached out to the tree for support. She threw her head back and laughed with a mouth full of banana. In this action, Karen Gleb choked on her eighth banana and died. 

The Coast Guard arrived on the island to rescue the survivors mere hours later. They brought Mrs. Gleb’s body with them to the mainland for a proper burial. The crew deliberated over what had transpired on the island. With no next of kin, they devised a sentimental send-off for their fallen comrade. Karen Gleb’s tombstone reads: Find the joy in your banana while the sun still shines.  

July 24, 2021 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

37 comments

Louise Blank
23:15 Jul 28, 2021

I'm bananas about your story Ann! Have a clear picture in my head of Karen the curmudgeon. Talk about someone ignoring the signs! Kept me interested and laughing the whole way through. It raised an interesting question for me on how internal thoughts should be formatted which I've struggled with. The Chicago manual of style indicates quotes. Masterclass article disagreed and said it causes confusion. Masterclass article also indicated that if it is deep third person or first person, italics or other formatting is not required. What influe...

Reply

Ann Nace
00:49 Jul 29, 2021

Thank you so much for your thoughtful review, Louise! I use italics in two ways. Inside quotation marks, it provides emphasis and tone. Outside of quotation marks denotes thought. I occasionally drop, “she thought.” But only after I’ve established italics outside quotes as a single character’s thoughts. By MLA rules, this is okay as a stylistic preference. Stephen King does it a lot. Sometimes, he’ll make a new paragraph and put the italics in parentheses to create a mysterious otherworldly voice. For the most part, I think it comes down t...

Reply

Louise Blank
02:29 Jul 29, 2021

You are most welcome! Such a pleasure reading your story. Hope some day I can come up with something as clever. Thank you for the details regarding thoughts. It's tough when there a few ways you can go and you don't know if an editor will consider one or the other as an error. I am developing an editing checklist as there are so many things to keep in mind. Glad you found the feedback helpful.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lee Jay
23:05 Jul 28, 2021

Oh my gosh! I loved this! You've put so many clever morsels of humor throughout this story. You've found so many creative ways to bring bananas to the forefront. I love that her name is Karen Gleb; Karen's are complainers, and Gleb seems like the name of someone who would eat liver and radishes! I love her cantankerous and entitled attitude. I feel like I know her, or have met her, and flipped her off while driving! Amazing first submission! Best story I've read today! Check out my latest story if you like :) Cheers!

Reply

Ann Nace
00:57 Jul 29, 2021

Thank you so much! Fun fact: Gleb means yellow in German. It's the irony of ironies, haha. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
A. A. Yepiz
02:14 Aug 20, 2021

This made me smile so much. Thank you for sharing it. I used to work with elderly people and Mrs. Gleb reminds me of a lot of them.

Reply

Ann Nace
21:33 Aug 21, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Del Gibson
03:45 Aug 02, 2021

This is a delightful tale. The theme, thread of the story being a character called Karen; who in recent times has become a phenomenon all in itself - meaning a person who complains about everything, or is triggered by the smallest of provocations. I like the way you have blended the Karen situation with the hatred she has for banana's. I have to say this made me laugh. I too have a repulsion towards banana's, so I can relate where many can't. It has an element of suspense, the adding foreshadowing from the fortune teller is great. The story ...

Reply

Ann Nace
03:50 Aug 03, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trina High
05:39 Aug 01, 2021

What a fantastic story! I had no idea how frequently "banana" comes up in daily life. Also, passive voice is fine by me, and I too use italics to denote thought.

Reply

Ann Nace
03:51 Aug 03, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Eliza Entwistle
23:13 Jul 31, 2021

A humorous and intelligent story that is easy and enjoyable to read. Well done :)

Reply

Ann Nace
00:08 Aug 01, 2021

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
19:55 Jul 31, 2021

Oh my word. This was a great read!!! It was funny and witty even though Mrs. Gleb was a grouchy ole cow. She was so matter of fact, that at first I got Eleanor Oliphant vibes from her, but I quickly redacted that feeling when I realized she had no darn reason to be so awful. The original Karen was a fantastic touch. If you've watched Arrested Development, this could have easily been narrated by Ron Howard...."There's money in the banana stand." The pop culture references to Gwen Stefani- Chef's Kiss! Congrats on your first story being sh...

Reply

Ann Nace
21:21 Jul 31, 2021

Thank you so much, Shea! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've never seen Arrested Development, but I looked up the reference LOL. I think that's my next series to binge-watch. Many thanks for all your lovely words :)

Reply

Shea West
22:34 Jul 31, 2021

That show is the best. I think you'll know exactly what I mean when you hear the narrator speak about the audacity of the Bluth family. You're welcome, I hope you contribute more to Reedsy, this is such an incredible platform.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Autumn MacDonald
02:58 Jul 31, 2021

I liked how this was easy to read. The descriptive sentences came one after another and just took off, leading up to a humorous ending. A fitting tombstone for the "Real" Karen Glen.

Reply

Ann Nace
21:21 Jul 31, 2021

Thanks so much, Autumn!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
17:50 Jul 30, 2021

Ann, this was a delightful piece. I really enjoyed how you approached the prompt and found it perfectly humorous while also addressing the bigger issue of entitled individuals. I thought you had fantastic imagery woven through this piece. Thank you for writing this piece and congratulations on getting shortlisted.

Reply

Ann Nace
21:22 Jul 31, 2021

Thank you, Amanda!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Faith Benson
21:17 Jul 29, 2021

Lol. The original Karen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Andrea Magee
19:10 Jul 29, 2021

Karen was a good terrible character! Lol....Thanks for a great read.

Reply

Ann Nace
19:55 Jul 29, 2021

Thanks, Andrea!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie Kanning
18:53 Jul 29, 2021

Hi Ann, I love your story! I'm wondering if I could read it on my podcast, "Unpublished, not Unknown"? It's all about giving voice to indie authors' short stories and spreading their reach a bit further. I'll credit you and link your profile in the show notes. People can listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and 5 other locations. It's in its growing stage, so I'd only ask you to share your episode with friends if you like it :) You can check out the format here: https://anchor.fm/unpublishednotunknown

Reply

Ann Nace
19:52 Jul 29, 2021

Hi Katie! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! And yes, you may read "The Joy of a Banana" on your podcast. I'm delighted that I can be a small part of your lovely project! I will definitely follow and share. Many thanks!!

Reply

Katie Kanning
20:03 Jul 29, 2021

Awesome! Thank you :) Quick questions: What's the correct way to pronounce your last name? And is it alright if I switch out/leave out the curse words since it's a clean podcast? So the changes would be: "I’m not afraid of a dang banana" and "WHAT THE HECK IS WITH YOU PEOPLE AND BANANAS!" If you prefer I edit it a different way, let me know!

Reply

Ann Nace
20:22 Jul 29, 2021

Sure! Nace rhymes with face. And I completely understand; you may make the above edits to "dang" and "heck" where needed.

Reply

Katie Kanning
00:20 Aug 02, 2021

It's live! You can now listen and share your story from 9 different platforms! Visit bio.link/katiek to check it out! Be sure to share with friends and family and if you're on Instagram, tag @unpublishednotunknown :) ENJOY

Reply

Ann Nace
19:13 Aug 02, 2021

Thank's so much, Katie! I have you linked on my Instagram Stories. I'll be sharing in a post later today, too. Great job on the reading!

Reply

Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Katie Kanning
20:52 Jul 29, 2021

Brilliant! I will let you know when it's live :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Chiara P
17:46 Jul 29, 2021

Love. It. Funny story! The character is so tangible, the story just puts her in the strangest places...

Reply

Ann Nace
19:55 Jul 29, 2021

Thanks, Chiara!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jacob Nottingham
19:04 Jul 27, 2021

Hello Ann Nace! Okay so I'm currently doing a college work assignment where I have to read five short stories and write about them for the assignment. I didn't previously have a profile on here and I wasn't planning on making one but I just REALLY enjoyed this short story! I loved the comedy, I loved the characters, I loved Karen Gleb! I really loved this story and I just wanted to say that you did an awesome job. :D I was so sad that she died at the end though. :c Especially when she finally found happiness in a banana! This was wonderful a...

Reply

Ann Nace
21:27 Jul 28, 2021

Thank you so much, Jacob! Your kind words made me smile from ear to ear. I love hearing that my work is entertaining to read. My next short story will also be humorous. And as a bonus, there won't be any fatalities. Keep an eye out. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.