The Voices Inside My Head...

Written in response to: Set your story in a labyrinth that holds a secret.... view prompt

221 comments

Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

The voices in my head are telling me something…


I am in a labyrinth.


All the cries in my head were telling me something extremely different. My head didn’t have the mechanisms to reflect or linger, it just jumped to a resolution because it saw the world at face value and searched no deeper than it should. The fog in my head augmented as my head made transitions by spinning around incessantly. I was in a labyrinth…


How did I get here?


Had I been here before?


Of course, I got no convincing answer.


I surveyed my neighbours; it was just like my normal life with cars and houses; my environment did not vary from anything else I had seen before; like my normal life. My eyes kept cruising to catch something. Suddenly I realized a light at the end of this channel; it was a trail heading up to something colossal.


Was this a figment of my imagination?


My Meemaw told me that actions and words are divergent; no not like the book. Words make up the world that we wish to live in, they create Utopia and actions generate the Utopia to come alive and my brain didn’t have the thinking capacity to establish its own Utopia nor the techniques to do so; so, it just went with the flow and questioned nothing; until now. 


I have been in many worlds before jungle, moon, rainforest, and considerably more than I can even remember. I feel like my intellect is playing tricks on me and I cannot stop this utter absurdity.


The walls of this labyrinth make me feel confined making me claustrophobic, even little noises echoed in the ambiance, that making up of my shivering and breathing and the built-up of condensation in my glasses causes my vision to be warped and the wisp of white on my glasses makes me lose my sense of direction; but I can still see the light at the end of this tunnel as it will be my guide through this labyrinth. 


In the reflection of a window, I looked at myself distorted, panicked, and I ran my palm over the brick wall to touch something absolute. This wasn’t a phantom. This was reality. I thought that the sun should set already; I had stayed here for so long pondering and waiting; however, the neighbouring light seemed so luminant as the noon beat down upon my head.


I noticed that there was something peculiar about this tunnel as I walked towards it, as it looked familiar and overly memorable. Each crack and crevice of the homes looked well known. It was like wandering along the same trail; the familiarity startled me, but I just carried on walking forward.


I lumbered to the centre of an insignificant town; it was derelict, like my brain. I heard the taunting voices telling me I wasn’t suitable for society; meaning I didn’t have a normal brain persuading me to go to therapy, and I genuinely tried not to take any of that to heart, but it didn’t work. The word sin rang in my ear; that is what I was: a curse. I know for a fact that it is hard for me to be alive. Nothing was real to me anymore. My world was becoming a virtual reality, and I hoped that all the medical operations make me normal again.

Normal is an unachievable fantasy.


Every step I took in this tunnel brought me closer to my destiny. It drew me closer to the light in the distance, getting closer by the second, and it made me want to run towards it. Every step I drew, the light ebbed away, its luminescence burned out, causing it to dwindle and fade. How had I stumbled into this labyrinth? 


My feet chilled before the air and ground became so cold, the sky emptied itself as the last raindrop and cloud passed away; there was nothing to look up to. It was all gone. My mind was disorientated. Nothing was going right; nothing was guiding me anymore because of the light withering in the distance. Even it didn’t appreciate me. The voices in my head were howling; it was sheer turmoil. None of this was intriguing, and I had never felt this overwhelmed by my senses. This was becoming unbearable. So, I ran through the labyrinth; my distorted vision caused me to slip over my very own feet but my voices continued to shout at each other. It was all so messed up.


I didn’t know how to differentiate between virtual and reality? 

Was I hallucinating?


Everything seemed to beckon me to come towards it; it was signalling my name and luring me towards my fate. I didn’t want any of this. I didn’t want my life, my friends, my intellect. Nothing. The mere request I had from God was to make my suffering go away; I demanded to be alone; as I preferred it that way, but evidently it doesn’t matter what I prefer, but what society prefers. My doctors wanted me to have a social life and adequate friends to cope with my condition, but I don’t and that doesn’t matter.


I recognized a familiar building, and I realized; this was my destination, making it my entire world. My inner navigation was wrong. I didn’t want to be here or anywhere near it, but it was the end of the labyrinth. It was a complete circle.


What was the point of my journey?


Summoning me in front, the hospital stood proudly; with its doors wide open and the nurses staring intently at me to come inside quickly before I collapse again. Though the hospital has been my home for the last month, it has always felt alien to me. Every inch of the building was a habitation of torture; they did experiments and operations on my brain to discover its capacity and willpower. I was a guinea pig being tested on; reluctantly. As expected, I had no say in this because ostensibly it was good for me.


Yes, it was good that schizophrenia had taken over my existence.

Everything in this world was a secret; because I understood none of it and the labyrinth has taken me to my ultimate resting place.


The labyrinth was all an uncontrollable hallucination.







December 11, 2021 16:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

221 comments

Eric D.
02:45 Dec 12, 2021

That was really creative never knew what to expect, but it makes sense about the schizophrenia. Written very great and obscure so it fit perfectly.

Reply

Palak Shah
13:54 Dec 12, 2021

Thank you so much, Eric, I really appreciate it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommie Michele
22:06 Dec 11, 2021

Really cool concept here! I love the more metaphorical take on the prompt—I tend to lean that direction more often than not, and you did a good job of it. I’m not sure how many words you have left before you hit the 3000 limit, but if you have room, I would love to see a little more imagery. With the kind of mood you set in your one-line paragraphs (love those, btw), a little more imagery to show just how eerie this labyrinth is would fit really well (and give a reader chills). Awesome story! And thanks for the comment on mine :) —Tommie Mi...

Reply

Palak Shah
13:52 Dec 12, 2021

Thank you so much, Tommie, yes I have quite a few words before the limit so yes I will enhance my imagery. Thanks for the suggestions :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
22:03 Dec 11, 2021

Clever use of the prompt, making the inside of the head a maze that struggles to know what is real and what is not. Watch for switching of tenses throughout the story so that it has a bit more flow to it.

Reply

Palak Shah
13:51 Dec 12, 2021

Thank you so much Shea for pointing that out I will be aware of this in my next story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gip Roberts
20:12 Dec 11, 2021

That was some real outside-the-box thinking on this prompt: the human mind as the labyrinth. Looking forward to more.

Reply

Palak Shah
21:15 Dec 11, 2021

Thank you so much for this amazing feedback :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
19:45 Dec 11, 2021

I was going to choose this one prompt, but now I think I should move on. A very intriguing piece of work. And thank you for the comments on my last piece.

Reply

Palak Shah
21:15 Dec 11, 2021

If you do write a story for it let me know I would love to read it. Thank you for reading this :))

Reply

Kendall Defoe
01:39 Dec 12, 2021

I am actually going to work on two separate prompts (may have one done by Sunday).

Reply

Palak Shah
13:52 Dec 12, 2021

Nice :)))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Cathryn V
19:20 Dec 11, 2021

Good schizophrenic story🙂

Reply

Palak Shah
21:14 Dec 11, 2021

Thank you Cathryn, I appreciate it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kate Reynolds
17:42 Dec 11, 2021

Wow I loved this so much!!! I really liked your descriptions and imagery, and the suspense you created in this was absolutely amazing. And damn that ending... Great work!!!

Reply

Palak Shah
21:06 Dec 11, 2021

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it :))

Reply

Kate Reynolds
18:08 Dec 12, 2021

Ofcccc <3

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
17:05 Dec 11, 2021

Very interesting story :) I liked the line: ‘Normal is an unachievable fantasy’.

Reply

Palak Shah
17:12 Dec 11, 2021

Thank you so much for leading my story :))

Reply

TJ Squared
17:22 Dec 11, 2021

Np :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Ananya Voss
22:49 Feb 21, 2022

It was v well written and I felt complete empathy for the character as we lived and felt his turmoil. You captured his suffocating sense of loss of control really well. A great read

Reply

Palak Shah
17:04 Feb 23, 2022

Thank you for this amazing feedback :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hi Palak! how are u? Can u do me a huge favor and vote for me here: Here is the link to give me a CLAP : https://awards.storymirror.com/program/7737c3b5-c02c-4c7b-8a57-180cad19a2df/english/author/o2ifxdqp/story/class_8_12 Looking forward to your support! Refer the steps here - https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yxv5Z11nz_4&feature=share

Reply

Palak Shah
21:24 Jan 26, 2022

Hey Varsha, I am good. Hbu? I have tried to clap for you but I don't know if it has gone through or not.

Reply

Thank you so much! oh ok, np! I'm sure it might have gone through. If possible can u also share it?

Reply

Palak Shah
19:16 Jan 28, 2022

Yh sure, I'll try :)) Could you please read my latest story and give me some feedback if possible :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Nitesh Shah
13:31 Jan 01, 2022

Great story Palak. I really enjoyed it :))

Reply

Palak Shah
13:48 Jan 01, 2022

Thanks :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Phoenix Osborne
00:45 Dec 15, 2021

🍿 I need upvoting! Nobody reads my stuff.

Reply

Phoenix Osborne
00:45 Dec 15, 2021

Don't feel rushed though :)

Reply

Palak Shah
15:31 Dec 15, 2021

Of course, I have just done it. Could you please upvote me as well, if possible :))

Reply

Phoenix Osborne
22:59 Dec 16, 2021

Done!

Reply

Palak Shah
17:19 Dec 17, 2021

Thank you so much :))

Reply

Phoenix Osborne
22:05 Dec 17, 2021

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keya J.
14:57 Dec 14, 2021

Hey, I liked the strong emotions you have conveyed through the story and the anxiety that washes through the protagonist. Your descriptions are strong and beautiful. It's a good way to wrap it up in the end. A little suggestion that might help you (and I hope is taken positively)- Somewhere, I think that the descriptions felt heavy and unnecessary which at times tends to distract the readers. For example- My eyes kept cruising to catch something. Try editing such complicated phrases throughout. This suggestion is not at all meant to be of...

Reply

Palak Shah
16:52 Dec 14, 2021

Thank you for the read. I understand now going back to it and I think I should have less description. This was not offensive in any way and I really appreciate this so don't worry about it :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lorna JC
10:09 Dec 14, 2021

Hello, this was told from an interesting perspective, I always enjoy reading flows of thoughts, feelings and emotions. You start in present tense, then move into past to tell the story, which is well done, although sometimes jump back to present (was this intentional?). The switch from past tense to present tense at 'What was the point of my journey?' was interesting at the end of the story, because it's like the story is being told from standing in front of the building, and suddenly the character is aware of where they are again. Your ...

Reply

Palak Shah
16:50 Dec 14, 2021

Yes, that was to create some confusion. Thanks for the read and you feedback is really appreciated :))

Reply

Lorna JC
20:29 Dec 14, 2021

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
05:02 Dec 14, 2021

Hi Palak, I enjoyed the chaos of this story because I certainly felt like I was in the labyrinth with the narrator. I also love how you chose to make the narrator’s the maze. You did a wonderful job of diving into the mind of someone struggling with mental health issues. Great job!

Reply

Palak Shah
16:49 Dec 14, 2021

Thank you so much Amanda :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamie Gregory
16:51 Dec 13, 2021

This was an interesting and mysterious story with a nice twist at the end! You did a good job describing how disoriented the main character was. I enjoyed your writing style which almost has a poetic vibe to it.

Reply

Palak Shah
21:41 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you so much Jamie for this amazing feedback :))

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:53 Dec 13, 2021

I appreciate your writing the story was well crafted would like to make contribution to our team here is short introduction Sorry for inconvenience ignore it I am just bothering you We are Team Abhedya Racing; a group of passionate engineering undergraduates who participate in the BAJA competition organized by SAE at a National and International level. We have started this fundraiser to help fund our efforts in securing an All India Rank of 1 in the ongoing BAJA 2022 season. We have made it to an All India Rank of 6 in Phase 1 of the seaso...

Reply

Palak Shah
17:03 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you Prathmesh for this amazing feedback :)) I am not sure on how I can help you but if you need help designing stuff as I am wanting to go into Engineering I would be more than willing to help.

Reply

08:05 Dec 31, 2021

It's nice of you to reply to the message thanks 😇

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:14 Dec 12, 2021

This was such an interesting story! The imagery and descriptions were a great depiction of what schizophrenia must feel like, a “labyrinth” in your own mind. Only one small grammar thing I noticed was this line: “I noticed that something peculiar about this tunnel as a walked towards it...” I think you meant, “I noticed that there was something peculiar about this tunnel as I walked towards it...” I really loved the last line, perfect for the ending! Overall, really nice job :DDD 🐈‍⬛

Reply

Palak Shah
21:23 Dec 13, 2021

Thank you so much for this amazing feedback, I really appreciate it :))

Reply

21:25 Dec 13, 2021

No problem, I enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.