Contest #198 winner 🏆

185 comments

American Sad High School

Okay class! Pop quiz. If you've been doing the readings, this should be a piece of cake. Remember to fill out both sides of this paper. You have the whole class period to finish. Good luck.


1. Christopher Columbus first traveled to the Americas using which means of transportation?


A) A cargo ship

B) A steam locomotive

C) A Boeing 747 airliner 

D) A vintage red 1985 Camaro with a crack in the middle of the windshield and no heated seats



2. What is the term for the pilgrims leaving England to journey to America?


A) Immigration

B) Emigration

C) Migration

D) A breakup



3. What is the name of the people who were already living in America before the arrival of the Mayflower?


A) Indigenous Peoples

B) New Yorkers

C) Canadians

D) A fiancée



4. Founded in the early 1600s, Thanksgiving best symbolizes which of the following?


A) Eating a Tofurky dinner alone in a home that smells like pumpkin pie and the leftover bottle of aftershave you found under the bathroom sink and summarily poured down the drain

B) A celebration of the harvest and a means of giving thanks for other such blessings of the year

C) Your five-year-old son choosing to spend the holiday at his father's new apartment

D) Both A and C



5. Salem, Massachusetts, was famous for its witch trials, wherein a number of men and women were accused of performing acts of dark magic and sentenced to death. Now, imagine a woman named, say, Sally. Which of the following is something a guilty woman like Sally might reasonably have been accused of?


A) Sneaking off with another woman's fiancé during your springtime PTA meetings

B) Luring a woman's son to Thanksgiving dinner with the promise of cooking a real turkey

C) Driving a vintage red 1985 Camaro that doesn't belong to her to the Safeway in your neighborhood, despite her apartment, which she now shares with the car's owner, being on the other side of town, twenty-five minutes away.

D) All of the above



6. Please select the adjective you think best describes Sally from the previous example.


A) Caring

B) Considerate

C) Thoughtful

D) None of the above



7. Please select the adjective (or phrase!) you think best describes the nameless fiancé from question 5.


A) Ignorant

B) Hedonistic

C) Confused

D) Doesn't understand he's letting a good thing go by choosing Sally instead of the superior PTA woman.



8. What is the definition of a "pilgrim"?


A) A person who journeys, especially a long distance, to some sacred place.

B) A person who journeys, especially twenty-five minutes away, to an apartment in the gutter of Bismarck, North Dakota.

C) A person who journeys, especially twenty-five minutes away, to a supermarket in the heartland of Bismarck, North Dakota, with the intent of running into people on the PTA so she can "accidentally" display her new engagement ring, the same sapphire ring that fit on someone else's finger not too long ago.

D) A woman who shares joint custody of her turkey-bribed son, a woman who tucks him in and reads him a bedtime story every night and kisses him on the forehead, then spends the next thirty minutes scrolling through her ex-fiancé's social media posts in the hopes that she'll see her name pop up.



9. What is the name for someone who invades a foreign state or nation with the intent to dominate or gain control over its settlers?


A) Homewrecker

B) Adulterer

C) Sally

D) Colonialist



10. What was the reason the pilgrims left their first home and strayed to America?


A) They said their needs weren't being met with England.

B) They wanted to break away from the Protestant Church and start their own religious community.

C) They said they hadn't been truly happy in a long, long time.

D) They said the only reason they hung in there as long as they did was because of the five year old.



11. Which of the following statements is true, pertaining to question 10?


A) England watched the pilgrims sail away to America, watched them drift toward the horizon until they were nothing but a speck in the sunset, knowing there was nothing they could do.

B) England waited for days, weeks, months, hoping the pilgrims would come back, checking every starlit night for a sign of their return. 

C) England would still take them back with open arms, even after they chose another place and another life, if they only chose to come back.

D) All of the above



12. Do you think the pilgrims ever thought about returning to England when they were off with their homewreckers/adulterers/Sallys/colonialists?


A) Yes, definitely

B) Maybe once in a while

C) Every other weekend, when the joint custody kicked in

D) No (briefly explain your reasoning in the space below, if chosen)



13. How quickly things change. Not even 200 years after the arrival of the pilgrims to America, the founding fathers spearheaded the American Revolution, instituted the presidential system, and even created the Declaration of Independence. Which of the following is a line from that famous document?


A) "We need to talk."

B) "Look, Lainey, this just isn't working out anymore. It's not you, it's me. Please don't bring Sally into this."

C) "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

D) "Daddy said you can come to his wedding with me, Mommy. Why are you crying? He said you can come too."



Extra credit bonus question: You finish your quiz early. When you walk up to the front to turn it in, you notice your teacher is at her desk, silently weeping into her thermos of lukewarm first-period coffee. What should you do?


A) Turn in your paper, say nothing, and return to your desk—chances are that if she scheduled a quiz for the entire class period, she probably needs some time to herself.

B) Turn in your paper, say nothing, and return to your desk—chances are that your teacher is like England when they were waiting for the pilgrims to return, and with enough time, she'll understand the truth.

C) Turn in your paper, say nothing, and return to your desk—chances are that you could end up like her someday, because history repeats itself.

D) All of the above.

May 20, 2023 02:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

185 comments

14:50 May 29, 2023

You deserve the win! As the topic Teacher's Pet, you wrote a pop quiz just for us😂 (gee, I almost fainted while reading it) by the way, I'm new, so I wouldn't mind a few tips!! (New follower right here!) In my account there's only 1 story T_T it's very cringy, so BEWARE! I'm a student in 6th grade and I'm addicted to creative writing, so one day I was scrolling through bing.com and stubble upon this website and LOVED it!!!! I finally get to share my stories with the outside world! (only 1 story now, more later!) My heart still belong to ar...

Reply

Zack Powell
17:29 May 29, 2023

First: Thank you very much for such a positive and encouraging comment, Mihini! This is so sweet. I love seeing the younger generation take such an interest in creative writing, so I'll definitely stop by and give your piece a read and see if I can offer some helpful tips and feedback. Don't let being new dissuade you. You and your stories are important. Let your voice be heard. Keep on writing (and keep on drawing comics too, of course 😉). Thanks for paying me and this story a visit. I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.C. Lovero
13:18 May 29, 2023

Zack! I don't normally login to Reedsy much these days, but when I saw your name at the top of my weekly email, I had to come say hi and check you out. I'm glad I did! What a clever narrative device you used here to frame a story in the form of a quiz. It has an almost epistolary feel to it, where each question reveals another thing. What I love most about this - the subtext. We are never told outright how the teacher feels about the situation, but rather everything unfolds through the questions. As the reader, I found myself knowing exact...

Reply

Zack Powell
16:47 May 29, 2023

Now there's a familiar face! I hope your writing's been going well, on or off Reedsy. I've been missing your M/M love stories, but somehow I've managed to cope. (It hasn't been easy, though. 😂) Us epistolary lovers, amirite? We just gotta push the boundaries until they break. It's nice to know that the form and the subtext was to the benefit of this story instead of being just a gimmick. Thanks for popping by, my favorite writing hermit. I appreciate it more than you know. (Side note: Let me know when you get a story or a book published! ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Steven Taylor
11:32 May 29, 2023

What an interesting way to tell this story. I haven’t read something so inventive in a LONG time. Congratulations on the win with this one - your story certainly earned it!

Reply

Zack Powell
11:42 May 29, 2023

What a compliment, Steven! Thanks for the read and the high praise. Much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ken Cartisano
01:54 May 29, 2023

I have to confess that I found the story amusing. Even though it isn't. At all. Amusing. Maybe it's the fact that we don't really know what's happening or why the questions are so strange at the beginning of the story, then we suspect the teacher is being sarcastic, and then, by the ending, even though we know it's a modern tragedy, it's still humorous as hell. Perhaps the very notion that a teacher would reveal so much about their personal life? I don't know. It's a clever format for a story to be delivered in. (Please, pardon the tortured ...

Reply

Zack Powell
05:21 May 29, 2023

Honestly, I was grappling with the genre tags, and I came THIS close to labelling this story "Funny" for the exact reason you mentioned: a teacher revealing so many personal details about her life using an in-class assignment. It's a real WTF kind of situation that you wouldn't expect from a "professional." Anyhow, thanks for finding the humor in a story like this, Ken. Makes me happy to hear it clicked for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
18:44 May 28, 2023

I read it wrong #13, I thought it said "instituted racism". Lovely layers. Especially England as a scorned lover. Bravo ::Clappity clap clap

Reply

Zack Powell
05:57 May 29, 2023

Suffice to say, racism prooobably predates the founding fathers. And I can always count on you to get the layers in people's stories, Tommy. "Scorned lover" was the exact emotion I was trying to convey.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Philip Ebuluofor
08:40 May 28, 2023

Sounds funny. Look easy but I am sure the judges saw what I did. Congrats.

Reply

Zack Powell
12:33 May 28, 2023

Thank you very much, Philip!

Reply

Philip Ebuluofor
07:54 May 29, 2023

Welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Liv Chocolate
06:38 May 28, 2023

I got so excited when I saw your name! You've done it once again, and will do it many times over. Of course, I wasn't shocked at all to see your name as a winner, but what did shock me was the prompt. When I was looking at this week's prompt options, I thought, there is absolutely no way to turn this option about a class taking a pop quiz into a story with any substance. I gave this option a hard pass and then gave up on the whole thing altogether. And here you've proved otherwise, with your ability to turn anything into an emotionally gri...

Reply

Zack Powell
13:15 May 28, 2023

You know what the funniest thing is? On Friday when I was rushing to write and submit this, I was telling myself "Hurry up, hurry up, get it done before Liv submits a story with the same format!" I was deathly afraid, especially after Violet or Red (which was a huge inspiration for this piece), that you would come up with this same idea, but better. True story. You have no idea how happy it makes me to have your stamp of approval, given how much you like to play with form and structure. Yours was the name and opinion I most wanted to see. F...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin Logue
06:32 May 28, 2023

What a brilliant format, so creative. You had me wondering what was going on for a minute, then the story started seeping in. Marvelous! First time reading your work, now I have to read the rest. One new follower here, ha!

Reply

Zack Powell
12:34 May 28, 2023

What a lovely comment. Thank you so much, Kevin!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
V. S. Rose
22:23 May 27, 2023

Gotta pop in and wish you a big congrats Zack. Thanks for bringing me back to university, all I need is a scantron card. The creativity on this piece was off the charts. So unique with the formatting, haven't seen anything like it. The way its structured keeps you glued to the story, wanting to piece together the details to figure out what's happening. Its almost like reading a mystery in a sense. We get a steady reveal of character and plot and then get hit with what I would call a twist ending (and an effective ending), that the teacher i...

Reply

Zack Powell
23:46 May 27, 2023

Thanks, V.S.! That's a really amazing way to interpret this format, as a kind of mystery-lite story structure. I like that. Thanks for the comment on the pacing as well - with a little more than 1,000 words to this, I was worried the details would be revealed too quickly for the piece to have any emotional impact. This comment made my day. Thanks again. P.S. I want what kind of water you're drinking. Damn near half your canon of stories are shortlisters. That's the kind of writing consistency I would kill for. Hope you keep showcasing your ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Geir Westrul
16:54 May 27, 2023

Zack, I think this may be the first Reedsy story I read three times. The first time, I was discovering the clever concept. Bravo! The second time, I was picking up on all the things I'd missed because I was in a hurry to get through the quiz. The third time, I was in awe of how you planted the clues, wove the story together from quiz answers, and made me think, not just read, but think, and live myself into Lainey's life and situation. I'm impressed ... ... and grateful ... ... because it's not every day that I get to read somethi...

Reply

Zack Powell
20:32 May 27, 2023

Three times is much more than I could ever reasonably ask anyone to read my writing, Geir. What an honor. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for that, and for donating so much of your time and thought to this piece. I truly appreciate it.

Reply

Geir Westrul
15:22 May 28, 2023

Zack, it was well worth the re-reads. Congratulations on a very well deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
03:19 May 27, 2023

Totally blown away!! This was super creative! The red Camaro in question 1 had me wondering, then when I got to "D. A breakup," in question 2, I knew. Aha! Here it comes! And the title is great too! He made his choice, but didn't really leave her with one. I can tell you enjoy your craft and you're really good at it. Thank you for treating the subject with as much sympathy as humor. I learned a lot today. 👌🏻👍🏻😁

Reply

Zack Powell
04:17 May 27, 2023

Thanks for the wonderful comment, Claire! And you're the first person who mentioned the significance of the title, which was exactly what I was going for with that. Glad the humor and the sympathy came through - you never know when you write these things if you're the only one who finds some of this stuff funny, y'know? Thanks again. I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
21:24 May 26, 2023

Facinating how this format made the story "unputdownable." Each question contained little clues that drew me along and even though, as the second to last line suggests, the plot of the story is all too familiar, the putting together of the clues made it "must find out" for me as a reader. Seems like maybe this is "show not tell" doing its best work. Congratulations on the win!

Reply

Zack Powell
22:40 May 26, 2023

Thanks, RJ! Your winning story really made me go back to the drawing board with how I approached storytelling for these prompts. This piece was the aftermath of that recalibration, so a special thank you to you for the inspiration. Cheers!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jody S
20:05 May 26, 2023

This is awesome and I am so happy I got to enjoy it!! I love how you ran with the prompt in one of the coolest takes I have seen in any prompt situation! Congrats on the win!! Well deserved!!

Reply

Zack Powell
21:06 May 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Jody! Knew I had to try this format when I read this prompt, but I didn't think it'd actually amount to anything. I appreciate the generous comment!

Reply

Jody S
21:16 May 26, 2023

I wrote to the same prompt. I was about 55% pleased with the outcome of mine. I just love how out of the box you took it!! That is what I am missing in my writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Andrew Fruchtman
19:41 May 26, 2023

This was a hoot!! Loved it. Very clever take on the prompt. LOL funny.

Reply

Zack Powell
20:04 May 26, 2023

Thanks, Andrew! Was an absolute blast to write, so I'm glad it was well-received.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
19:21 May 26, 2023

Clever beyond words. Bravo! Congratulations on this week’s win. 👏👏

Reply

Zack Powell
20:04 May 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Viga! 👏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mac Paul
18:04 May 26, 2023

A perfect creative examine, Zack for this weeks prompt. I agree with all the previous posts and congratulate you on your well deserved victory. Bettie MacIntyre

Reply

Zack Powell
20:05 May 26, 2023

Thank you so much for the kindness! It's much appreciated.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
17:57 May 26, 2023

An A+ for this quiz! and Congrats on the Win! I loved the multiple levels of the story behind the story. The details of the different senses were great, -smells like pumpkin pie and the leftover bottle of aftershave -no heated seats -watched them drift toward the horizon until they were nothing but a speck in the sunset and the great descriptive words- 'luring' Loved it Fav line: 'Turn in your paper, say nothing, and return to your desk—chances are that you could end up like her someday, because history repeats itself.'

Reply

Zack Powell
19:53 May 26, 2023

Thanks for the love, Marty! Was a super fun story to write with all the layers and senses, so I'm glad you caught onto what I was going for. Much appreciated, and I see you've got a new story of your own out there. Looking forward to reading it this weekend!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Matthew Guerrero
17:45 May 26, 2023

That was brilliant, congrats on winning.

Reply

Zack Powell
19:51 May 26, 2023

Thanks a bunch for the kindness, Matthew!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
16:37 May 26, 2023

Brilliant, and a well-deserved win!

Reply

Zack Powell
19:51 May 26, 2023

Thank you very much, Kendall!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wally Schmidt
16:07 May 26, 2023

Couldn't be happier for you!!! Tears of joy. Congratulations!

Reply

Zack Powell
19:51 May 26, 2023

Wally! Thank you, thank you, thank you! Your positivity gives me life. I appreciate this comment so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.