The fire he saved me from

Submitted into Contest #64 in response to: Write a romance that involves one partner saving the other from a fire.... view prompt

9 comments

Romance Adventure High School

I could barely breathe. The smoke rose into my lungs, as I gasped in and out trying to get air. I tried to scream, but my voice was weak. Before I passed out into a soundless sleep, the last thing I heard was him desperately calling my name…

                                                      ***

I woke with a start. My whole body was shaking. I inhaled three times to slow down my breathing as I sat up. This was the fourth time I’ve had this reoccurring nightmare. Breathe. I slowly rose from my bed to start the day. My eyelids felt heavy, my mouth full of cotton. My mind was foggy, but I was able to concentrate hard enough to grip the toothbrush. As I finished up my bathroom routine, I gracefully descended the steps to the kitchen.  I glanced at the clock only to be horrified that it was twenty minutes past the time I was supposed to be at the bus stop. Uh oh. I quickly flew up the stairs and threw on the first few items I spotted in my dresser. My older brother who was in college came pounding on my door almost as soon as I had finished getting dressed.

“Sis, what are you doing still home?”

I glanced at him and narrowed my eyes. “Says the guy who should be in college but noooo you just had to stay and clog up my atmosphere.” I tossed him the car keys. “I need you to drive me to school.”

He rolled his eyes. “Alright, but you owe me breakfast.”

I mumbled a few words, and out the door, we went.

As we pulled into BreightHigh, butterflies started to fly in my stomach. I was excited. Today marked the official day of James Gertin and I dating for a whole year! James was the most popular guy at BreightHigh, and one of the best basketball players in our state of Idaho.  I was the world's luckiest girl to have someone as handsome and caring as he was.

I rushed up the stairs just as the bell rang. Darn. I didn’t even have time to go to my locker. I ran quickly to first hour, Algebra 2. I passed several of my friends who insisted on goofing off during class. I entered the classroom in the nick of time as Mr. Curmmington turned around.

James looked backward and his whole face lit up when he saw me. I smiled.

I breezed right through today's lesson and was soon on to my next class. James came up from behind me and grabbed hold of my hand.

One of his guy friends passed by and send, “Ya’ll need to get a room!” everyone laughed.

My face turned bright red as James pulled me along through the crowd of juniors. The day passed by with no problem. Spending lunch with James, beating all the guys in volleyball, ruining my enemy's art project… well, you get the idea.

As I headed to the last period I noticed the lights started to flicker. I thought nothing of it as I entered the classroom.

That’s when we all heard the first gunshot. I started to freak out. James was all the way on the other side of the school. Everyone started screaming and flailing around. I heard the teacher yell, “Everyone get to the nearest exit NOW!” None of us needed to be told twice. As I tried to stand up, I tripped over a chair, that ended up knocking a candle off its base. It caught on fire as soon as it struck the ground, which was wet wood from our science project. I was the only one in the room. I could hear screaming and yelling and before I got a chance to calm my nerves there was a big BANG, BANG, BOOM! I quickly backed into the nearest corner, which is right where the window was. I looked down and began to panic. It turns out my room was not the only room that was on fire. I realized that the loud bang was from the north side of the school exploding. That’s where James was! I didn’t know what to do.

I heard helicopters above, and I could just make out the signs of sirens wailing. I could hear loud pounding as if I giant was stepping throughout the school. Then I heard my name being called from every direction. I quickly stood up, and that was the worst mistake I could ever make. I ended nocking over a propane tank and had just barely time to lunge towards the door before I heard another loud, BOOM. I started screaming out in agony. The whole left side of me had been burned in my grand escape away from the explosion.  

As I crouched down, I saw part of the roof collapse and sunlight poured in. The floor beneath me gave way, and I fell a good thirty feet, screaming the entire time. I could barely breathe. The smoke rose into my lungs, as I gasped in and out trying to get air. I tried to scream, but my voice was weak. Before I passed out into a soundless sleep, the last thing I heard was James desperately calling my name.  My brave prince.

When I came to, I was being lifted into strong arms. I knew it was James, he must have found me. I buried my face in his chest as he heroically started to jog to the end where there was an opening.

“It’s okay” he whispered. I smiled as best I could, and passed out right there in his arms. The last thing I remember was him looking down at me and smiling.

                                                     ***  

When I woke up the first thing I saw was the bright light. Sunlight was pouring into the hospital room. I glanced around and then I saw James. He quickly got up and was at my beside. He leaned over and kissed my head.

“You’re alright, I love you” he whispered.

I was later informed that there were a couple minor injures, but thankfully no deaths.  

James was my brave handsome prince. Forever and always. 

October 17, 2020 22:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Hey Amanda!! Just read your story, and I have to say that you did a fantastic job writing the story outline and such things like that! Great job and I look forward to reading more from you! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alveria Moracca
20:16 Oct 18, 2020

AMAZING!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Alex Herman
02:19 Oct 18, 2020

Noice, I liked the description and the details put into it. Looking forwards to reading more

Reply

Show 0 replies
Princemark Okibe
22:37 Oct 28, 2020

The guy the critique circle sent is here to fulfill his duty. let me say it was an interesting read with an engaging narrative and flowing dialogue. Your story easily made me visualize the events occuring. This shows you have good storytelling skills. I know you cannot make any edits at this point but my critique is to make your future stories even better. So here comes the edits. Using 'send' instead of 'said' in the sentence below causes confusion to the readers. [One of his guy friends passed by and send, “Ya’ll need t...

Reply

Narnia Zelda
00:41 Oct 29, 2020

Thank you very much, it means a lot that you went out of your way to help me!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
06:23 Oct 25, 2020

Cute, dramatic and unexpected. Just wondering how having half of her body burned is a “minor injury.” 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
16:58 Oct 24, 2020

Great story! I could visualize the events as if I was watching a movie!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Elle Clark
15:21 Oct 24, 2020

Cute and very dramatic.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jocelyn Veronica
01:18 Oct 23, 2020

WOW, THIS IS GREAT!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.