the city called you, they want their angst back

Submitted into Contest #85 in response to: Start your story with the line, “That’s the thing about this city…”... view prompt

81 comments

Drama Creative Nonfiction Coming of Age

That’s the thing about this city. It gets inside your head, makes you think that for once in your life, you’re gonna do something great. It makes you think that every time you walk by a stranger on the street, that they could mean something to you, so every time you leave the house you dress up and you look nice and you run those streets as though you own them, and they don’t own you. In the city, you don’t think anything owns you till it’s too late, and you’re lying in your room and looking up at a ceiling that doubles as the floor for the people in the apartment above you. Those people, you think, were they once like you? Did they once think that moving to the city- this city in particular- would make them into something they were not?

You know better now. You know better than to wake up and throw open the windows. The birds aren’t singing for you, they’re singing for food. They’re hungry for things people don’t want to give them, just like you are. They want what they can’t have and so they, like you, stay up too late and when the morning comes they do everything they can to stay in bed just a minute longer. That’s the thing about this city. It sells you dreams and then expects you to pay it back penny by painful penny. Those coins you give up don’t taste like blood because they’re made of copper, no, those coins taste like blood because they are evidence enough that the city will choke you out if you don’t move fast.

You’ve gotta move fast. Faster than the people on the streets, who don’t care about you. Faster than all the buses and trains and cars, because they’ll drive right through you if it means getting to where they’re going. Yeah, see, that’s the thing about this city. If you don’t keep up with it, it’s gonna leave you where you belong. There’s all these signs, no matter where you look, and it’s all the same. People, pets, things… They’re all missing because one way or another, they disappeared. You can’t help but wonder if it’s the city’s fault you’re failing, or your own, or someone else’s entirely.

Your friends blame the government for the economy and your other problems but the truth is, you know the city would still be rife with heartbreak even if the president was the best person alive. This city broke your heart, and it’s all the more sad because you came here thinking these sky kissing buildings would patch you back up inside, make up for a lifetime of never thinking you’d be an adequate member of the human race. That’s one thing you were right about, though. You belong in this city with all the roaches, the ones that skitter across the sidewalk with their janky legs trespassing in the mortal realm.

Yeah, you think, I may be a cockroach and I may belong with the rest of the rats in this city but at least nothing gets to me anymore. How much further can you fall if you’re already eating ramen noodles from the same tub you washed your hair in, sitting on the carpet of a place you don’t recognize even though you spent so much time finding it. Your parents have been telling you to come back home, but you can’t go back to a place that was never yours. That’s the whole point, isn’t it? To find your space on a map, to make a thick black Sharpie slash across the universe, to stand at the top of your apartment complex and look down at the itty bitty ant people and scream that you are here? Isn’t that what you moved here for? Isn’t that why the city called you?

You’ve gotta make up your mind. Maybe it’s not what you wanted but it’s what you asked for and you worked to get here, work to find the color in this sea of gray/red/blue/gray/red/blue lights. Wake up and smell the coffee, splash your hands in the cool waters of reality, stop being such a cliche and start getting back to the reasons you left all you knew behind. You may die and you may worse than die, but there’s a chance you’ll be okay and if it was up to me I’d shake you till your shoulders bruised if it got the point across. No, I don’t mean I’d hurt you in order to get your head back on track but at the same time, I don’t want the city to be the reason that script never leaves your desk. It’s not an excuse anymore.

That’s the thing about this city, right? People come here with big dreams only to find those dreams getting absolutely smashed.

So. What do you do? You remember what you are. You put on your cockroach armor, and you crawl the heck out of the gutter. You, like the pigeons squealing in the parks outside your window, learn to fly through the smog and the jeering people. You, like the boys who sell bagels from their grandfather’s hot dog cart, make yourself heard even if you know for a fact it doesn’t matter who remembers you when you’re gone.

Don’t let the city break your heart. Do not let the city tear you in two. You know what you’re doing. Stop staring at the ceiling and go do it already. Get up, get out. There’s a clock, it’s moving fast, and it’s no different than the buses and cars and trains. It will drive through you, imbed its pointy hands in the spaces between your ribs and claw out your beating, bleeding vital organs, stomp on them and eat them whole, with a bit of pepper and even more salt. That’s the thing about this city. You moved here, but don’t let it move you. 


March 12, 2021 22:23

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

81 comments

19:42 Apr 03, 2021

I miss everyone too. stay strong guys.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sia S
17:59 Apr 03, 2021

ORENDA IS BACK

Reply

Show 0 replies
22:11 Apr 02, 2021

Hiylooo

Reply

Show 0 replies
. .
05:49 Apr 02, 2021

This is written so beautifully, in such a way I forget this isn't from a worldwide famous writer because honestly, it feels like it is. Congratulations on the shortlist it definitely deserved it and I hope you continue writing. I also read your bio, a few of my only friends on reedsy quit so I can definitely relate and miss the times I used to have but never the less your story was amazing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jen Park
13:37 Apr 01, 2021

This got shorlisted?? I'm sorry that I realized so late but congratulations this deserved it:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Saurabh Singh
01:25 Mar 31, 2021

Great narration!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amarah Friedman
16:34 Mar 30, 2021

I love your story. Simple. It's heart wrenching, relatable. It's why we run -- we're going TOWARD something, not away from it. Your descriptions are delightful, and I'll be thinking about cockroach armor every time I get dressed. So proud to be shortlisted next to your piece!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
20:35 Mar 30, 2021

Aw thank you so much for reading! can't wait to read yours too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dorsa S.
14:05 Mar 29, 2021

CONGRATS ON THE SHORTLIST!! :DD

Reply

Show 0 replies
Nirmila Lall
09:30 Mar 28, 2021

Wow, excellent read. Well-deserved win

Reply

Show 0 replies
Prafulla Vyas
22:07 Mar 26, 2021

I loved reading your story. It oozes with sarcasm and dark humor. The voice is strong and determined. Congrats on the shortlist.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
22:26 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Gerald Daniels
19:55 Mar 26, 2021

Loved your story. It flows poetically, but with attitude and impact. It's darker than my effort, and better for it. Super.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rachel Loughran
15:59 Mar 26, 2021

This was great - it sort of reminded me of the Choose Life speech from Trainspotting (which I very much mean as a compliment!). Congratulations on being shortlisted.

Reply

Show 0 replies
August Jett
14:43 Mar 26, 2021

Oh my gosh, Rhodalize, I was so hoping this would get shortlist, and it did!! I think I squealed aloud when I saw that it had!! Congratulations, that's amazing and so well-deserved!!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:34 Mar 26, 2021

Crazy! I didn't think it would but a lot of people thought so before today, I guess they were right! Thanks so much for reading! How have you been? any new stories I need to catch up on?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maraika!!! 😎
00:57 Mar 26, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Share with ten friends add your name to pention https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/86/submissions/59942/

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:22 Mar 25, 2021

Woah. This is one of the best stories I have ever read (and I don’t use that lightly). I adore the way you write, so professional yet interesting. While reading your story, I can tell that each word is thought out and is written for a reason. Now I need to go read all of your other stories... who needs to do their homework anyway? :)

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:34 Mar 26, 2021

Hi Lucy! Thanks so much for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed reading it and I can't wait to read your stories too!

Reply

17:40 Mar 26, 2021

Of course! Your stories are soo good!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Sherry Monfils
18:19 Mar 25, 2021

You had me mesmerized by the ups and downs of feelings of city life. So discriptive w/out being overly "wordy," & that's why I couldn't wait until the end. You had my hooked ASAP! Great job.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:35 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you for reading, Sherry!

Reply

Sherry Monfils
02:23 May 01, 2021

You're very welcome! Kudos you deserved, kudos you got! 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sherry Monfils
02:23 May 01, 2021

You're very welcome! Kudos you deserved, kudos you got! 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sherry Monfils
02:23 May 01, 2021

You're very welcome! Kudos you deserved, kudos you got! 😎

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 4 replies
Show 1 reply
15:26 Mar 25, 2021

#StopDownvotingNow Post this to ten friends! let's end the downvoters' reign of terror! Me too. I miss them all so much :(

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emma Rose
02:05 Mar 25, 2021

As always, your work is incredible. Thank you for this. ❤️

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:35 Mar 26, 2021

Thank you, Emma!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michele Duess
15:24 Mar 21, 2021

You crawl the heck out of the gutter...learn to fly through the smog. It was my favorite part. Great story. I agree it at least deserves the shortlist.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:35 Mar 26, 2021

Well, excellent prediction! Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jubilee Forbess
15:35 Mar 26, 2021

Well, excellent prediction! Thanks so much for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Elle Orthan
15:42 Mar 18, 2021

great story!!!

Reply

Elle Orthan
15:45 Mar 18, 2021

also i hope ur not discouraged by sm ppl leaving reedsy, i’m always here if u wanna talk

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.