28 comments

Drama Fiction

There’s something about wrinkles in the morning. They’re golden with silhouettes of the issues people experienced back in high school. Jax is familiar with them like he is familiar with the ring on his middle finger that binds him to no one. 

He has one, a wrinkle, and it stretches across his forehead in a diagonal sort of way. Even when he smooths out the skin, it returns, even uglier than before. 

Perhaps this is the reason why his sister encouraged him to drive into the middle of nowhere with a car that can’t go faster than 30 mph. He doesn’t mind, though, when the wind swims through his hair and the car’s wheels flatten the peach blossoms and daffodils in its way. 

He knows he’s late when the car sputters to a stop at his command in front of an old house with the sunset’s arms already embracing it. 

Inside, he sets down his duffel bag and waits for questions. Gramps hobbles through the hallway with an unlit cigarette propped between his lips. He claps his hands with mustered glee and secures them on Jax’s shoulders. 

“You seem smaller,” he says, and cackles through his teeth. It vibrates through Jax and he shudders. 

Plucking the cigarette from Gramps’ lips and setting it on the counter, he replies, “Show me around.” 

Gramps agrees and keeps one hand on his grandson’s shoulder while leading him through the house. The rooms all look the same, as if no one has stepped in them for fifteen years. It’s when Gramps shows him the work room when Jax notices a difference. 

“You’ve worked on it,” he observes, drawing circles with his feet around the machine. 

It’s bigger than he remembered, with the metal circle propped up against the wall and wires and scraps of materials sticking out of it. There’s a panel of buttons on the right side, and most of them are hanging on by just a spring. 

Gramps bobs his head up and down with pride. “I’m one step closer every day.” The way he runs his tongue over his lips tells Jax about his issues. They stumble out of the work room with wisps of dust trailing them and make their way into a colorless blur with an air mattress stuck in the middle. 

Jax hears Gramps explaining, “This’ll be your room for now.”

But Jax trips over his own toes and collapses onto the bed. Jax spreads longer than it, but he thinks the moon will still tumble into the horizon even if he’s uncomfortable and not watching from the bench on the hill. 

Gramps rolls his eyes and clicks the door into place. Jax can barely hear him skip off and the tempo of his breathing melts into the song of the crickets. 

The next day, Jax knows, is crafted from the peeled bark of oak trees and the lyrics of childhood melodies twisted. He awakes with drool dripping onto his shirt and the smell of sandals showing molding big toes wafting from his body. 

If he’s being honest, he can detect Gramps’ deep coughs disguised as bubbling laughter and see haze drifting towards the ceiling. Now he knows he has something to tell his sister and it’s definitely not that staying with Gramps is boring. 

Jax never cries but this time he allows a tear to kiss his cheek and rubs it off like the night’s sweat. He acts like he doesn’t care, but he knows one day everyone dies and it’ll just be him left  and that’s what he’s saving all his tears for. 

Soon he’s up in his clothes from yesterday but Gramps doesn’t say anything. When he does say something, it’s that he’s saving his voice for when he really needs to use it, just like Jax and his tears.

Jax follows Gramps into the work room and asks about the time machine. 

“I want to go back because I want to see her.” He answers, mouth graphed into a line and eyes glued to the machine. 

Understanding isn’t the same as acknowledging—that’s what Jax has learned. And although he acknowledges Gramps’ pain, he knows he can’t possibly understand it. 

He picks at the wrinkle on his forehead, “Any way I can help?” 

Gramps grunts in refusal, running his hands over the buttons. 

“What should I do then?” 

“Unpack.” Gramps sighs and produces a box of cigarettes from his pocket. He’s about to take one out, but he hesitates, tilting his head towards Jax, who pretends not to notice. Finally he decides against it and shoves them back down into what his grandson knows is a sea of lost items. 

Jax exhales in reply, spinning on his socked heels and making his way through the doorway and down the hall. 

The next minute he’s back in his room, his phone clutched in his hand, dialing his sister’s number. There are no rings until a robotic female voice tells him he needs to connect to the server. 

Jax swears under his breath and creeps out of his room, passing by the work room where Gramps is still there, grumbling to himself, and finally entering the kitchen. It’s small and rectangular with a sink, oven, microwave, and minifridge. Everything there is scratched and worn down, like the junkyard where Jax went to get some alone time. 

On the wall there’s a landline. It’s coal black, and when Jax picks it up, the cord bounces against his elbow. He knows that being able to repeat his sister’s phone number forwards and backwards isn’t really something to be proud of, but he types in the digits anyway. It rings exactly six times before she picks up. 

Her voice is stressed to the point of quick gasps instead of inhales and long days with screens instead of empty green fields and Gran’s pumpkin pies. 

“Have you arrived?” she asked. 

Jax nods but realizes she can’t see it so he mumbles, “Yes.” 

“Good.” she says, and Jax can hear his sister tossing the phone from one hand to another. “So why’d you call me?” 

Jax picks at something in his teeth with his fingernail. “Gramps is smoking again, Izzie.” 

Isabelle clicks her tongue in a dismissive way, “That’s none of your business. Gramps can do whatever he wants.” 

Silence stings the conversation from Jax’s end. He winds his pointer finger through the cord. 

“I’m busy, brother,” is what Isabelle declares before hanging up. 

Jax sets the phone back into its holder and stares at the wall of the kitchen. It’s an old wall with chipped white paint like children’s teeth. He thinks about how his sister doesn’t care and about how she’s the only one left besides Gramps. And Gramps, he knows, won’t last much longer. 

Jax bangs his feet down on the floor and imagines himself stomping the thought away. 

Although he’s only in the next room, Gramps’ voice sounds tiny and faraway when he yelps. A crash that sounds like metal against metal erupts from the work room. It forces waves of shivers down Jax’s spine as he darts out of the room. 

He stops short and kneels over Gramps’ limp body on the floor. He’s moaning and clutching his side. 

Jax’s voice is shoving its way through his throat, making him stunned and unable to speak. His lips open but Gramps’ hand flies up and covers his mouth. 

“Don’t.” His voice is raspy and it sounds like it just caught up with its age. “Don’t waste your tears on me, Jaxon. Don’t waste your time, either. I should’ve—” Gramps’ coughs make his body twitch, allowing the box of cigarettes slide out of his pocket, not unnoticed. Gramps curls his hand around it and continues, “I should’ve known that time travel is impossible. I just wanted to see her…” 

Jax swallowed and recognized that he still understood. That was when he saw the large metal pole protruding from Gramps’ chest. His lungs filled with air and he made a choking sound that resembled a hiccup. 

“Who?” Jax asked, relieved to have gotten his voice back from behind his grandfather’s shriveled hand, “Who did you want to see? Gran? Why did you want to go back in time to see Gran as a child when you weren’t alive yet?”

Gramps smiled, his hand slipping from its place on Jax’s lips. Jax whimpered while Gramps’ eyes closed and his face relaxed. 

There was one thing he knew for sure, and it was that even though half his life was missing, the sun would still straighten its spine and the moon would still tumble into the horizontal abyss every morning. 

He wouldn’t waste his tears on Gramps. He’d have to keep living, and that was that. 

September 30, 2020 04:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

28 comments

11:45 Sep 30, 2020

Another beautiful one, Scout. I like the way you wrote this one: enough emotion, pain, nostalgia. It's beautiful. At the start, you mentioned his sister had encouraged him to drive out to the middle of nowhere. But then later tell us he arrived at his grandfather's house? Did she know he was going there or not? Simple curiosity, that's all. I don't mind reading this over and over again because it's really good.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
13:30 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you, Abigail! What I was trying to get at is that is grandfather’s house is in the middle of nowhere. I’m glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
23:52 Sep 30, 2020

What a wonderful story! I really enjoyed your writing style, and you have a great knack for in-head descriptions. I loved the beginning about the wrinkle on the protagonist's forehead, it was a great introduction to the story. All in all, very well done! Great job! Would you mind checking out some of my stories here? Thanks!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
02:02 Oct 01, 2020

Thank you, Maya! Of course, when I have time.

Reply

Maya W.
02:03 Oct 01, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
02:04 Oct 01, 2020

And omg Cassie is my role model!

Reply

Maya W.
02:11 Oct 01, 2020

Omg same, lol.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
02:28 Oct 01, 2020

She's literally the best.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Batool Hussain
11:46 Sep 30, 2020

Wow. Another masterpiece! Love this so, so much. I loved the vocabulary and the awesome descriptions you used throughout very, very much! One thing though. When you said “You seem smaller,” he says, and cackles through his teeth. The 'you seem smaller' line reminded me of how you've been commenting on quite a few stories remarking on how short they look. No offence, but my latest piece, in my opinion was by far the longest story I've written on Reedsy. Lol I hope you don't mind, cos I'm just kidding around. Happy writing!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
13:34 Sep 30, 2020

Haha, thanks, Toolie. I don’t know, but I noticed I have been saying that a lot. I’m extremely sorry if I offended you. The thing is, yours had less paragraphs and more in them, so it definitely appeared shorter to me. But when you read it you see that it’s long. Do you get what I mean? Whatever, maybe I’m going blind lol. Thanks again.

Reply

Batool Hussain
17:05 Sep 30, 2020

Oh no, you aren't going blind (God Forbid) And just by the way, if by any means I offended you, know that you are one of my very FEW favorite ppl on Reedsy:))

Reply

Scout Tahoe
17:07 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you, you’re mine too. Lol, I’m thinking: I’m too young to go blind!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mark D
05:26 Oct 08, 2020

Scout, that was such a sad and tragic story. First of all, I love your style. I love the words you use and how effortlessly you seem to weave them in almost poetically. My only advice would be to reread your work again, maybe even out loud, before submitting. I am guilty of it myself. I love writing them and sending them off. Just a couple little minor things here and there that could be caught with a reread. But I really enjoyed it and look forward to more from you.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
13:20 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you— I'm gonna head over to check out yours in a minute. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zea Bowman
14:53 Oct 07, 2020

Absolutely wonderful! I loved the way you wrote it. There's love, pain, and feeling throughout the whole story. Don't even get me started on the descriptions! (Personally, the first couple of lines were definitely my favorite) Wonderfully done, and beautifully written. If you want to, could you please come check out one or two of stories...?

Reply

Scout Tahoe
15:08 Oct 07, 2020

Thank you! I'd love to check out your stories if I get time. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shea West
15:13 Oct 03, 2020

Your story reminded me of the subtle and unspoken way my grandmother wished she were gone years after my grandfather was gone. She only ever said it a few times to my mom, "I just miss your father, that's all." Although it was not a detailed "I want to die," feeling, we all knew what she meant when she said I miss your father. This made me miss them, but in the kind of way where I smile thinking about those moments. Like I can understand what they felt. Keep writing Scout! My new story "The Birthday Fortunes," is up if you feel so incli...

Reply

Scout Tahoe
17:42 Oct 03, 2020

I’m so glad you could connect to my story on a personal level! I’m really trying to make the reader feel emotions while reading. I’ve been up to my knees in work so I’ll stop by whenever I have a free window. Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
01:20 Oct 02, 2020

The second sentence is so... wow. 'They’re golden with silhouettes of the issues people experienced back in high school.' Teach me what you know! (lol) But seriously, this was full of emotion, and the last sentence just tied it up like the perfect present. Could you check out my story, 'Only Alien' and tell me what you think? :)

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:22 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you so much, Raquel! Of course I'll check out your story when I have time. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mia S
00:56 Oct 02, 2020

This one was a really fun read! I liked how you included elements of sci-fi but also stayed true to your more-realistic-fictiony writing style(idk if that makes sense). As always, your descriptions are amazing. Awesome job.

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:02 Oct 02, 2020

Thank you so much, Mia. I hope you come out with a story this week too. :)

Reply

Mia S
01:04 Oct 02, 2020

Working on it lol - but not sure if I'm gonna be able to finish :(

Reply

Scout Tahoe
01:09 Oct 02, 2020

That's okay ... no pressure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. Antonio
15:35 Oct 01, 2020

Checked this out after "Lullaby on Fire". I think the story is really nice. The details were more coherent and concise with the actions and environment. The ending to me was a bit scattered. Like, we don't get a sense throughout the story that the Grandpa wants to travel in time to visit his late wife, like it is vaguely mentioned that he wants to travel back to see a woman, but the ending doesn't give us confirmation (which I guess it's fine if you want the reader to speculate). The conversation with Jax and his sister seems unneces...

Reply

Scout Tahoe
16:31 Oct 01, 2020

Hmm the hypocrite idea is really good. I’ll consider. Working on a new story now so I’ll edit later. Thanks again for stopping by. I love getting constructive criticism because it helps me grow as a writer. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Genevieve Taylor
17:18 Sep 30, 2020

Wow Scout! I absolutely adore this story. The characters were so well built, the writing was flowing and well put together. I can tell you put a lot of thought into this, and it definitely paid off. Great work!

Reply

Scout Tahoe
17:20 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you so much, Vieve!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.