51 comments

Funny Fiction

The man himself is coming to tell us—Vice President Numb Nuts. He's such a spineless wimp. How did he ever become a vice president? I'll tell you how. It's because Boeing is not what it used to be. That's it. Its current level of incompetence is staggering. I used to be proud to be part of this company, but those days have long vanished.

And sitting over there is another reason I've lost confidence: Clark Suck-face Truman. Look at him all smug and confident. I can see what he's thinking. He's such an open book. He's thinking of his thank you speech for choosing him as the team lead. And who am I kidding? Numb Nuts is probably going to do just that. He wouldn't know talent if it bit him on his overworked posterior. 

I'm the only one who knows my value. I would make a great lead, but they will never give me the opportunity. They are a bunch of idiots—the whole company is full of them.

"Thank you all for coming," Vice President Chumley Lutz said. "I'm here to choose a team for the Quad Rotor Aerial Vehicle project. I'm very excited about this. I hope everyone here is as excited."

We clapped. Although, I don't know why. We looked like a flock of muppets.

"I'm appointing Clark Truman as the team lead."

Of course, he did. I don't know why I let myself get all worked up. Why do I allow myself to hope?

The twit babbled on and on until he stopped and made eye contact with me. "Now for the backbone of the team – Bob Sparks. Come on up, Bob."

I gazed at him. He thinks I don't know, but I know what he's doing—parading me in front of everyone like an old tiger at a circus. I capitulated, stood beside our illustrious potentate, and smiled. I know how to act. I put on my gracious face and shook Numb Nuts' hand.

After my award-winning performance, the meeting ended, and I returned to my office. A memo on my desk told me to see the company shrink immediately. What the heck? Why would Bug Eyes need to see me?

"Hello, Bob. Come in and have a seat," Dorothy Flingmyer said.

I sat and tried not to stare at her enormous eyeglasses. They had to be an inch thick.

"Bob, do you know why I asked you here?"

"No, I don't. You see, I'm not a shrink, so I don't have all the answers."

She ignored me. "I asked you here to discuss your recent behavior with Trent Holfax. Do you recall the incident?"

"Are you referring to the incident when I informed Mr. Trident…excuse me, Trent…that his calculations would turn our plane into a submarine? Or when I told him McDonald's was hiring, and he could use me as a reference? Or the incident when I suggested his degree must have come from a state college because it was the only explanation for his ignorance of aeronautical engineering? Or…”

"That's enough, Mr. Sparks. It's obvious you recall." She lowered her glasses and looked at me. "You understand this type of behavior is unacceptable?"

"You mean telling the truth is unacceptable?"

"You know what I mean. You tend to see only the negatives in people, and your belittling manner is appalling."

"Did you say appealing?"

"Mr. Sparks, you need to take this meeting seriously. Your position here is on the line. If I don't see significant change, Boeing will release you." She adjusted her glasses. "I believe we are going to be able to work this out. I think some simple exercises can tame your cynical attitude."

"Push-ups? Sit ups? Squats?"

"Please don't interrupt, Mr. Sparks," she straightened. "I want you to keep a gratitude journal for several weeks. We will meet again next month and go over it together. If I see progress, then all is good. Understand?"

"So, I tell you about my crushes, my favorite teacher, and how my mom doesn't understand me?"

"You have a problem, Mr. Sparks. I expect thirty entries on how grateful you are on various subjects."

Well, I did what she said. It's an entire month of mushy stuff and puffy praise. I wonder if this was some disciplinary tactic. Who has ever heard of a gratitude journal?

"I see you used a five-year diary. Pink. With a lock," Dorothy Flingmyer said with a look of disdain mixed with unbelief.

"Only the best for this assignment."

She cleared her throat, "Well, let's begin." She flipped through a few pages, counting the entries. "I see you have thirty. Very good."

"Actually, I have thirty-one entries. You must have missed one."

She counted again, "Ah, yes. There are thirty-one." She opened the first page and read:

May, 9th, 2024

I'm grateful it's Thursday. Although, Friday would be better.

May 10th, 2024

I'm grateful it's no longer Thursday because Friday is undeniably better.

May 11th, 2024

I'm grateful it's Saturday because, unlike Friday, I won't have to see Trident or Suck-face.

She huffed, "Are there any entries not evolving Friday?"

"Um," I combed through my mind. "Yes, skip to May 18th."

May 18th, 2024

I'm grateful our team wasn't given an important project since it mainly comprised of baboons.

My 19th, 2024

I'm grateful that Boeing's new policy of hiring nincompoops makes me look better.

May 20th, 2024

I'm glad Suck-face didn't call me champ today.

"She put down the diary in frustration, "Who is Suck-face?"

"Clark Truman." I gave her an innocent look. "I'm sorry, I thought it was obvious."

"From now on, I want you to refer to him by his real name."

I mentally searched, "I did. See May 30th."

May 30th, 2024

I'm grateful I almost forgot Suck-face's real name is Clark Truman.

"Mr. Sparks, I'm afraid I won't be able to recommend you remain at Boeing. Did you even try?"

"I understand, but if you could read the last entries, you might change your mind."

June 6th, 2024

I'm grateful for Mrs. Flingmyer's suggestion to write this journal. After reading my earlier entries, I see how negative I've become, and seeing the problem is half the battle.

June 7th, 2024

I'm grateful for renewed interest. After ten years, I dusted off my old fiddle and was surprised at how much I remembered. Letting go of my negative attitude has rekindled my joy of fiddling.

June 8th, 2024

I'm grateful for our follow-up meeting on Monday. I have so much to share.

"I'm impressed, Mr. Sparks. It seems our little exercise has benefited you immensely. I knew if you could see the truth, you would come around. I will recommend you stay with us, provided you continue journaling."

"You couldn't stop me if you tried."

We ended the meeting with a friendly hug. I walked out thinking about how to thwart Suck-face's proposal to allow our Quad to run on multiple fuels. He's such an ignoramus. Oh, and I can't wait to get Trident in a corner. He's almost too easy, but I will enjoy destroying him anyway. His elementary ideas deserve it.

I'm grateful I found my fiddle. It reminded me it wasn't the only thing I could play like a fiddle.

August 03, 2024 01:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

51 comments

04:20 Aug 04, 2024

Oh, I loved this. Perfect story for this prompt. On the topic of being truly grateful, he failed. The last sentence is priceless. He'd make a good lawyer. You know how they never tell the truth.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:17 Aug 04, 2024

Bob would see it as a step backwards 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Shirley Medhurst
18:52 Aug 06, 2024

Oh I just LOVED your story, Daniel. 😂😂😂 You started me off giggling from the very first mention of « Vice President Numb Nuts » & I didn’t stop smiling until the end Fabulous! I’ve no criticism of your writing, you hit the tone bang on and kept it there throughout… Bravo! 👏

Reply

Daniel Rogers
22:03 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you. I'm happy Bob made you laugh. He got me with the "Numb Nuts" thing as well. 🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
17:02 Aug 03, 2024

If Mr. Sparks plays the fiddle as well as he plays the shrink, he might do well in politics. :-)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
20:59 Aug 03, 2024

He'd refuse to kiss the snotty nosed brats, and tell the reporters what he really thinks. America isn't ready for him. 🤣

Reply

Trudy Jas
21:57 Aug 03, 2024

:-) well, there is that. Too bad. But since we live in fiction land ...?

Reply

Daniel Rogers
22:55 Aug 03, 2024

That we do 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Rogers
02:32 Aug 03, 2024

"Hey, Writer Boy!" Flimlet shouted. "Me?" I said. "Who else?" He rolled his eyes. "I was built for this prompt. How'd you miss that?" "Well, you see, I ended your season. So, I had to go with this guy." "You what!" he stood to his full height of four feet one inch. "What'd you go do a thing like that for? When Lady Nimmo finds out, you better..." "Hey, hey. Now, calm down. It's not a permanent thing." Flimlet had subconsciously pulled out his axe. "It better not be." He pointed his axe at me, then, realizing it was in his hand, quickly...

Reply

04:27 Aug 04, 2024

Haha. Some characters arguing with you from the cheap seats, I see. Happens from time to time. Tell them lies. Promise everything and give nothing. I wonder how long you will get away with it!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
14:01 Aug 04, 2024

I love it - cheap seats 😂

Reply

21:38 Aug 04, 2024

Yes, that's where Flimlet is sitting. Clamoring for attention. Wanting to upstage your new character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
04:52 Aug 04, 2024

Haha, yes! More Flimlet! This made me so happy!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
14:02 Aug 04, 2024

Me too 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Rogers
14:38 Aug 04, 2024

Flimlet breaking the fourth wall! 😂 The funny thing is I’m not surprised that you have story characters arguing with you. I can’t count the times I came out of a store to find you telling our kids stories and them being upset that you had to stop so we could go home. Fictional characters live rent free in your brain!😁

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:36 Aug 05, 2024

Yes they do 😂🤣

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 3 replies
Pei Pei Lin
19:27 Aug 13, 2024

I loved this! I'm glad he at least discovered one different perspective from the exercise!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:40 Aug 18, 2024

Thank you. Yes, a little growth is better than no growth at all. 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Kulak
16:38 Aug 07, 2024

This was a tough prompt but you created a great story for it.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:24 Aug 07, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
15:29 Aug 07, 2024

Begrudgent Bob. Funny fiddler fond of Flimlet.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:27 Aug 07, 2024

I see what you did there. 😜😂 Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tara D. Wilson
13:10 Aug 07, 2024

This was great! The nicknames had me cracking up, I do the same at work! I love the ending, a little bit of darkness is always fun. :)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:29 Aug 07, 2024

Yes, yes it is. Thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Karen Hope
03:23 Aug 07, 2024

I’m not sure working at Boeing is a laughing matter these days but somehow you made it into just that! Funny, clever and a perfect response to the prompt. Great job!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:30 Aug 07, 2024

You know, I hadn't even thought of that. I just needed a company who would employ aeronautical engineers. 🤣 Thanks for reading.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:36 Aug 06, 2024

Quick adjustment to the situation.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
22:05 Aug 06, 2024

Thank you. I appreciate the like and comment 👍

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy M
20:34 Aug 05, 2024

Oh, that's brilliant!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
20:51 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you. I’m glad you liked it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
16:50 Aug 05, 2024

Love it--gave me some laughs.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
23:22 Aug 07, 2024

I'm glad you liked it and got a laugh or two 😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M.D. Adler
07:11 Aug 05, 2024

I loved your take on this prompt! So many parts that made me smile - "Did you say appealing?" I liked that the thirty entries challenge didn't work on Bob and that he stayed true to himself - only because it makes for a very entertaining read and finale. :)

Reply

Daniel Rogers
15:28 Aug 05, 2024

Thank you. Once I knew who Bob was. I knew he would never surrender. However, he didn't want to lose his job either 😂

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Malcolm Twigg
15:32 Aug 04, 2024

Simply brillliant. I want to be this guy!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:40 Aug 05, 2024

Haha, thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heather Rogers
14:26 Aug 04, 2024

Ok, I got a good laugh out of that! This story has brought me out of my Wanowyn-less melancholy!😂

Reply

Daniel Rogers
02:41 Aug 05, 2024

I'm glad 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
11:53 Aug 04, 2024

You are in your element even if the story doesn't have Lady Nimmo. I still read it in one read and I like it a lot.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:11 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks, it was odd. I had to add Flimlet in my comments, just to feel like I wrote a story 🤣

Reply

Darvico Ulmeli
13:53 Aug 04, 2024

Understand completely. That was really nice touch.

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:40 Aug 04, 2024

As I said, some characters don't like being upstaged! You had to let him have his say/his way.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Susan O'REILLY
10:48 Aug 04, 2024

enjoyed this very much found a lot of humour sláinte xx

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:12 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jeff Meade
09:32 Aug 04, 2024

Haha. This story is hilarious and Sparks sounds like the lady I co-teach with. She’s just the biggest Debbie Downer I’ve ever met, second only to my step mother. But when you need to rant about something, having one of these people on standby can be the only medicine for mental health.

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:08 Aug 04, 2024

If my character reminds you of a real person, that's a huge compliment. Thank you for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
McKade Kerr
04:49 Aug 04, 2024

Haha, that was awesome. It was so easy to see this prompt as a good way to turn a crabby character around. I’m glad your character never really had an arc, it fit him and made the whole story much funnier!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:14 Aug 04, 2024

Thanks, I agree. Sparks will never change, but he plays the fiddle well 🤣

Reply

21:43 Aug 04, 2024

Does he ever play a squeaky violin? The one the moaners play with their fingers? (There is a saying, when people complain - 'Let's get out the violin.')

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rose Willows
04:36 Aug 04, 2024

I can see your character Bob so clearly in my head. Very funny too. I enjoyed this!

Reply

Daniel Rogers
13:16 Aug 04, 2024

Thank you, Bob is the kind of guy who gets into your head.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.