...And that's how we met

Submitted into Contest #60 in response to: Write a post-apocalyptic story triggered by climate change.... view prompt

25 comments

Fantasy Adventure

James rubbed his eyes. His wings were nearly drooping. It had been a long day.

He looked around him. His bedroom was always a comfort. He sank back into the plush pillows which he had just got up from. He stretched his arm in front of his face, examining his palm.

“What am I even doing?” he mumbled to himself. He hadn’t signed up for this in the first place. It was all his parents’ doing.

Meet James, a devil-in-training…. In his teens. His parents had been assistant devils, and they wanted him to carry on the legacy after they retired and their soul became one with the Head Devil. Having an angel in the family, even by accident, was a big shame which they couldn’t handle.

Tomorrow was supposed to be his midterm examination for being a professional devil. The task would be given out in the morning. He was feeling so nervous that his bed could break from all that shivering.

What if he didn’t do well? His marks would be deducted, right?

Then maybe all his friends would become devils, and he would have to train for seven more years.

He would be a disappointment.

His family name would be mocked.

In fact, he hadn’t even asked for this. All he wanted to do was live a normal life, and die peacefully. The only perk of being a devil was getting your soul mixed with the Head Devil’s. James did not need this. He did not want it. He was just- pushed.

The next morning thundered over him. He had to disintegrate an entire planet whose balance had been disrupted by drastic climate change.

As he grudgingly got ready for the mission, he mulled over the planet’s life. Why had the people been so stupid to invite over an apocalypse by not bothering about something as important as the weather? No, it was too puny for their swollen heads to consider, wasn’t it?

His scaly wings carried him all the way to the barren land of the planet. As soon as he landed, he found that all life had been wiped out.

Good. His task would be much easier now.

But he had spoken too soon. A deafening roar made him jump. He turned around, scared and chilled to the bone.

His eyes reflected pure terror at what he saw. It was a dinosaur- a T-Rex at that. He shut his eyes tight. ‘Tyrannosaurus’ basically suggested about that creature’s nature. ‘Rex’… meaning ‘the reigning king’. There was no further explanation to be sought after knowing the full meaning of that name.

He raised his hand and a smell of roaring embers filled the air. He had to kill it now to ensure his own survival.

But just as he was about to fire the strike, a cool breeze caught his attention. He whipped around. Blinding light was illuminating the charred earth of the planet. James covered his eyes to shield them from the glare. Where was this coming from?

A person… no… an angel?

What was an angel doing here? They did not have any business here!

Lush vegetation sprouted wherever the angel walked. Their soft wings were barely visible, but he could just make out that they were flapping wildly- as if with excitement. Soon, to his relief, the brilliance dimmed.

“DID THAT WORK? AWESOME! ESGFCVKJHGIUYFTDTYRSY-AAAARGH!” the angel yelled in triumph. However, all that excitement came to a pause when he found James glaring at him. “What?” he said defiantly. James rubbed his forehead in frustration. “You. Just. Got. In. The. Way. Of. My. Success.” he growled.

Now the angel was angry.

“I just saved your skin, you idiot!” he hissed. James raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Why would you save me? You guys ought not to save devils. We’re polar opposites.”

The angel looked surprised. “You’re a devil?” he asked. James nodded. “Don’t tell me you were too dumb to notice. Scaly wings? Where else would you find them?”

The innocent angel mumbled something about dragons, but then cleared his throat. “Ahem, I’m sorry I didn’t introduce myself properly, Mr. Devil. I am Benjamin, an angel-in-training. I’m… not so pleased to meet you.”

James scanned Benjamin. He seemed too innocent for his own good. James could easily trick him and kill him and take his body back to Hell. He would surge to the first position in his class. But… it just felt wrong.

“…I’m James, devil-in-training. Dunno if I am pleased to meet you or not.”

Benjamin’s eyes practically glowed with a lot of happiness. “You can call me Ben!” he squeaked. He shook hands with James.

“How naïve can you get?” James muttered under his breath. Benjamin frowned. “I heard that!” he scolded him.

James chuckled. “You’re totally acting like a kid right now. Why don’t you just scoot before I fireball you and carry you away to Hell as a product of my assessment?”

“Oh!” Benjamin piped up, surprised. “You’re here for an assessment too?”

James nodded, his interest piqued. “So… I take it that your midterms are going on too. What’s your mission?”

Benjamin was now jumping up and down in excitement. “We have to do a good deed on an apocalyptic planet we are assigned,” he beamed. James rolled his eyes. It was such an easy task.

“Let’s make a deal,” he said. “You help me disintegrate this planet. You will also have passed the exam since you helped me,” he suggested. Sparkles flew out of Benjamin’s tingly hands. “Oooh, that’s so cool of you! Let’s do it now!”

And so both of them set to work. They took off from the surface and out of the atmosphere. James started on an explosion spell while Benjamin started handling all the souls on it which slowly started dying out. There were no humans left, and all the organism were fit to go to Heaven, since all were pure of heart. It was a fairly easy job once they collaborated, and it was done in no time. The planet silently exploded. The spot which had a huge mass once, now held debris.

“Whew,” Benjamin said, relieved and exhausted. “That was some job. I’m glad I could be of help.”

James nodded, and both of them stood there awkwardly. “So,” James began. “I don’t think I will be able to see you after this, Benjamin,” he sighed. There was something sad in his heart. What had this angel done to him?

“Please, call me Ben,” Benjamin said with a sweet smile. “And this won’t be the last time we meet. Once we become professionals, we are able to move about as we wish, right?”

Realization dawned over James. “Ah, yes…” he drawled. “We can… keep meeting up, then.”

“Nope,” Ben shook his head. “We’ll be friends. Really good friends.”

James smiled for the first time in a few years.

And thus two unlikely creatures parted, a promise binding them together.

September 22, 2020 13:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

25 comments

08:16 Oct 07, 2020

I really enjoyed this story. I usually do not read fantasy, but this one is different. Well done.

Reply

Authoring Studio
13:00 Oct 08, 2020

Thank you so much! I really am grateful to you for reading my stories :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
13:19 Oct 05, 2020

Hey Pranati :D The starting of this was so intriguing, especially since you brought out the fact that the protagonist had wings, which made me want to read more instantly. The starting was also such a hook because it was really funny considering the devil premise you had, and I found myself smiling at the most out of place phrases haha. Your premise was also really great, I wanted to know everything about it, like the backstory and why James was born an angel, etc. I saw your reply in some other comments saying that you wrote a pre...

Reply

Authoring Studio
02:49 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks a lot! I'm not feeling rather well right now, so I might need some time before any edits are made or if I write anything else. Please continue reading and giving me feedback 😁💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Authoring Studio
02:49 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks a lot! I'm not feeling rather well right now, so I might need some time before any edits are made or if I write anything else. Please continue reading and giving me feedback 😁💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Authoring Studio
02:49 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks a lot! I'm not feeling rather well right now, so I might need some time before any edits are made or if I write anything else. Please continue reading and giving me feedback 😁💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Jagdeep Singh
08:03 Oct 05, 2020

Hello, In your bio it says you have published your books with notion press. I am also looking for a publisher. Would you please tell me how was your experience with them.

Reply

Authoring Studio
02:47 Oct 06, 2020

Actually, it is a self publishing site. Just go to notion press website and you can start with Xpress publishing. There is also a guided publishing option, but I have not tried it. Hope it was helpful!

Reply

Jagdeep Singh
05:28 Oct 06, 2020

Thanks Pranati

Reply

Authoring Studio
15:40 Oct 06, 2020

You're welcome! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
01:42 Sep 25, 2020

Hey, Pranati would you be kind to watch the first video it's on Harry potter. https://youtu.be/KxfnREWgN14 Sorry for asking your time, This my first time to edit video

Reply

Authoring Studio
06:43 Sep 25, 2020

No problem! We all love Harry Potter and I'd be glad to watch!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Authoring Studio
06:46 Sep 25, 2020

It's so beautiful! I loved the edit! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
16:29 Sep 24, 2020

This is an amazing story! It's so cool you wrote three books! (I'm working on my second one, and my first one is kind of an embarrassment.) To be part of a community is an amazing thing, and together we can stand up to downvoters who are just mean-spirited. We can't judge what is provoking them but we can help the victims. Amazing prequel by the way, and keep writing!

Reply

Authoring Studio
16:42 Sep 24, 2020

Thanks a million 😊💜

Reply

17:52 Sep 24, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Authoring Studio
13:51 Sep 22, 2020

Hello! :) One of my friends, Sam W asked me how James and Ben became friends (if you don't understand, please read my story, 'The Devil is Stuck'). I thought the idea of a backstory was really great, so I came up with one. Hope you enjoy it and looking forward to feedback! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jessie Nice
20:09 Sep 25, 2020

Ah, what a sweet story! Never would have thought a devil and an angel would be friends - off the job, that is ;)

Reply

Authoring Studio
02:06 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks for the appreciation! I really value it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
22:48 Sep 24, 2020

Enjoyed the read. Joining up to make it a success for both of them. Interesting way to become friends. Entertaining to keep a reader's interest. Keep up the great writing!

Reply

Authoring Studio
06:41 Sep 25, 2020

Thanks a million! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Andrew Krey
10:42 Sep 24, 2020

Hey Pranati, I liked your prequel and you made it fit really well with the prompt!

Reply

Authoring Studio
15:13 Sep 24, 2020

Thank you so much :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
19:45 Sep 22, 2020

This was sweet! I really enjoyed it! I also wanted to let you know that I'm ordering your novels to my grandparents (they'e in India) and they will ship it to me! Can't wait to read them!

Reply

Authoring Studio
03:43 Sep 23, 2020

Thank you so much! I really find it nice that you read my bio! Thanks a ton for reading, also :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.