(Pink)y Promise

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

311 comments

General

Pink was my favourite colour.


It looked innocent, yet sweet. Cute, yet cheerful.


Just like me back in the last year of junior high school. The me who caught the eyes of a boy in grey-coloured uniform. 


The boy was standing at the gate when I came to hand in some documents to enroll in the high school of my choice. When our eyes met, I smiled at him and passed by.


And it seemed my smile made him forget about the popsicle in his hands which started to melt under the sun, as his eyes followed me into the administration room.


The same boy who tried to get close to me throughout the first year of high school. 


The same boy who brought me red roses, asking me to be his girlfriend when I turned eighteen.


---


Pink was the colour of his ears, whenever he felt pressured.


That was one of his habits, which I noticed after being his girlfriend for two weeks. Another one of his habits was to avoid looking at people directly when he uttered a lie.


He was smart. He ranked third in class, while I was third from the bottom. But that didn’t bother him; he taught me everything I needed for the exams without a single complaint.


He was quite sporty too. He was part of the basketball team which represents our school to competitions. Continuously adding three points to the team, he contributed a lot to winning each game. And for that, I was proud to be his girlfriend.


He was also willing to spend time with me. We always had our lunch break together; he liked it better than being with his friends. And for that, I felt very treasured by him.


More importantly, he was well-liked by my parents.


“Kevin has a good attitude and looks trustworthy,” my dad said.


“Kevin is quite handsome, you know. And he loves you so much too. What more is there to ask for?” my mother commented.


They liked him so much, to the point that they allowed him to stay at the house when they were away.


“Take care of Bella for this weekend, okay, Kevin?”


With him agreeing to the request, that weekend turned out to be very memorable. 


We ordered pizzas, ate it in my bedroom, and didn't even think about washing the dishes. We played video games competitively against each other. And just when we grew tired of playing, we switched on the TV and began to watch a romance movie that I’d been wanting to see.


The movie led us to share our first kiss. And a couple more after that.


The kisses led me to lay on my back, with him whispering, “Can I?”


It was wrong; I knew it inside my heart. But that wasn’t enough to stop me from nodding my head. And a nod was all it took for him to start undoing the buttons of my blouse, unbuckling his belt.


It was the day I turned into an adult. It was hurting me, but I didn’t mind it; I did it for the sake of love. Yes, for love. For his fingertips that caress my chest. For the gentle touches of his hands on my hips. For the softness of his lips that kissed me again and again.


The same love that made me utter, “I gave you my first, so you have to take responsibility for it.”


The same love that led me to whisper, “Listen to me. Fulfil my request. Never look at other girls. And don’t even think of breaking up with me. Be with me forever until the day I die,” I paused, looked directly at his eyes.


“Pinky promise?” I stretched my hands toward him.


“Pinky promise,” he answered, intertwining his finger with mine as he shifted his gaze to the ceiling.


And I could see his ears turned pink.


---


Pink was the colour of my lip balm.


The one on my lips when he lovingly spoonfed me at the cafeteria. The same time when I realized someone was staring at us.


The one I put on when we were studying together at the library. The same time when I noticed a person who awkwardly hid her face when I turned my head towards the table behind me.


The one I had on my lips when I cheered on my one and only boyfriend during his basketball practice. The same time when I found out the green-eyed girl who had been following us, adoring Kevin from the other side of the court.


The same one on my pouted lips when I confronted him about this stalker. The same one on my smiling face when he agreed to bring me to the observatory, as I requested; his way to apologize to me. The same one I used as we argued in the car that evening.


“You don’t seem to enjoy this trip,” I opened the talk as I looked at his sour expression.


“No, I enjoy it,” he replied weakly, with his eyes fixed on the road, not batting an eye towards me.


“I think you're lying. You don’t like it because I force this into you, isn’t it?”


“No, no. I am fine.” Again, he didn’t look at me when he answered.


“You keep lying to me. It seems you don’t love me anymore.”


“What? No, I still love you.” Another denial without a glance.


“Then say it while looking at me.”


He sighed out loud just before answering, “I’m driving, Bella. I can’t do that!”


“Then, I take it as you don’t love me anymore. Stop the car, I don’t want to have a romantic stargazing picnic with someone who doesn’t love me,” I made a declaration out of anger. My hands reached to unbuckle the seatbelt.


I could hear him clicking his tongue at my request. I could see his ears turned hot pink as he let out a sigh. “Okay, fine,” he finally turned his head, looking directly at my eyes. “I love you.”


I smiled upon his sentence, feeling satisfied. As I gazed at his eyes, I could see the sky turned orange thanks to the gradually setting sun. 


“I love you too. Now, look at the view behind you, Kevin!” I pointed outside the windows. His eyes followed my finger, admiring the sunset for a few seconds.


And when our eyes returned to the road, our car had already been in the lane for reversed direction, where a teal-coloured truck sounded its horn, driving towards us.


And I could tell he desperately turned the steering wheel, wished it could bring us back to the correct lane, avoiding the truck. But instead, we drove past the railing.


And I could remember the split second when my body floated above the seat. The moment when airbag popped and created a painful ringing on my ears. The same moment when my body flew forward, breaking through the front glass, as I cursed my stupidity to unbuckle the seat belt.


And I remembered the deep dark forest below as I descended to the bottom of the cliff along with the car. Me, who screamed out of sharp pain from the glass cuts. Me, who screamed out of fear, knowing very well that it would be the day I die. Me, who landed on my back, experiencing immeasurable pain from the impact, with warm liquid flowing out from the back of my head.


And as I looked at the sunset for the last time, I recalled all the days that I’ve spent with him. 


The happy times that we spent together, the not-so-happy moments where we argued with each other.


The pleasure of sharing our first kiss, the weekend when we shared our first time.


The pinky promise we made with each other.


And I gradually closed my eyes with pain all over my body.

August 06, 2020 09:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

311 comments

Yolanda Wu
01:03 Aug 09, 2020

Oh wow, what an emotional and heartbreaking story. I love the symbolism of the colour pink throughout. Amazing job. Thanks for checking out my story as well :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:42 Aug 09, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Yolanda! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:31 Aug 08, 2020

I would love it if you'd read my first book on reedsy, 'Summer was warm', and critique it. I really love your work.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:42 Aug 09, 2020

Sure thing, Chimamaka! Will do :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
23:30 Aug 08, 2020

I absolutely love the way you use your words Deborah, you personalise it and just keep us on some crazily emotional roller coaster! Once i was done reading it, i was screaming, "No, no, no!" in my head. This is truly a story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:46 Aug 09, 2020

I'm glad to hear that! Thank you for reading! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Yoomi Ari
20:57 Aug 08, 2020

I love how cute this story is!! :D Can’t wait to read the rest of your stories! -Bee

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:49 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you for your kind words, Bee! Glad that you are enjoying the story :D

Reply

Yoomi Ari
12:06 Aug 09, 2020

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Skylar Rose
20:31 Aug 08, 2020

I loved how you started off right from the beginning, showing us their relationship. It was so sad and heartfelt, and such a sad ending! (Almost made me cry!!) Amazing job!! -Skylar

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:49 Aug 09, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Skylar! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

oml i love the fact that the character is called bella in this story and my nickname is bella

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:50 Aug 09, 2020

There is one reader whose name is Kevin, just like the boy too :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cynthia Cronan
20:00 Aug 08, 2020

Deborah - Your use of the color pink in the story is very successful. Your syntax, as ESL, fits in this story very nicely. I believe the reason it works is that the lovers are Asian, as are her parents, so the sentences they speak reflect the syntax of the mother tongue. It adds character to the story. Your enthusiasm for your writing is clearly evident. WRITE ON!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:52 Aug 09, 2020

Hmm, I don't intend Bella to be Asian, but the boy is! (I'm Asian too, probably that plays a role in terms of the writing style?) Anyway, thank you for the kind words, Cynthia :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sunny 🌼
18:59 Aug 08, 2020

Beautiful, absolutely amazing. I'm a bit of a color enthusiest and I love how you used it as a bit of a narration tool. Amazing job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:53 Aug 09, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the tale, Sarah! I'm a colour enthusiast too; look at my past 4 submissions' title LOL

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. Ernst
16:00 Aug 08, 2020

Ii thought the description of the accident was very done. Nice story. I always find it interesting the wide variety of story themes that evolve from the same writing prompt. If you get the chance would you read my latest story ‘Emma’s Promise’ ? Thank you.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:48 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for enjoying it and sure, I will check yours out! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Khizra Aslam
14:22 Aug 08, 2020

This is such a heart breaking story 😢. And a very interesting piece of writing as well. I was literally reading every word and i was like what's going to happen next. I was completely lost in your story. You did a really great job.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:48 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for your kind words, Khizra! Glad that you enjoyed it! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Heidi Hanson
13:19 Aug 08, 2020

Very well written! Good job :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:48 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Heidi! :D

Reply

Heidi Hanson
21:21 Aug 14, 2020

no problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
13:08 Aug 08, 2020

Wow! That is a fantastic story. I love your work. I'll be back for more. Thanks for reading mine.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:49 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for reading, Estelle! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jonathan Blaauw
08:07 Aug 08, 2020

Another Kevin/Bella story! You've developed these characters well throughout the series, I think you should start considering a novel. Like your other ones, your descriptions are great and you focus again on using colors to portray emotion and enhance the story. Having read the previous stories in the series, I knew exactly what was going on, I just wonder if someone who read only this one would get as much from it. In other words, does it stand alone as a story? Not sure. Maybe a small note directing interested readers to the others? But...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:28 Aug 08, 2020

Now that I read others' comments... it all makes sense as a standalone, up until the stalker bit (my mistake; that bit can only be understood after reading my previous submission!)

Reply

Jonathan Blaauw
12:03 Aug 08, 2020

I wouldn't say 'mistake'. The story makes sense on its own, it just needs the background from the others for maximum enjoyment. And that's not a bad thing - readers will be intrigued and will want to read the others to learn more. So you get more fans that way. I think that's the opposite of a mistake, it's a clever move on the part of the writer.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:50 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jonathan! Now that you mention it..., yes, a couple of people went back to read the other stories too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hope Li
06:57 Aug 08, 2020

I love the recurring motif of pink in this story! I wish I got to know a bit more about Kevin's relationship with the stalker/ if there is one. Are the narrator's suspicions justified? And at the end of the story, how does she feel about all this? I almost want her to reach more of an epiphany during that part of the story, instead of just looking back on what happened in the past.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:30 Aug 08, 2020

Hi Hope, my previous submission, "A Very, Very Dark Green" explores more on that stalker if you are interested (yup, it is connected to this story). Also, thank you for the suggestion for the ending!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sundance Lee
06:37 Aug 08, 2020

Wow, Great Story! I did not expect the ending at all. I'll definitely be looking at pink differently now! Great job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:30 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Sundance!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Daniel Bussey
06:16 Aug 08, 2020

There's some excellent stuff here and some other things that I think you could improve on. I'm going to offer a few examples and personal thoughts if you don't mind. Please don't take any of this personally, since I only write this with the intention of helping you perfect a craft that we each are working at. First off, I enjoy the creative way that you use color. Pink. Pinky promise. The pink color of his ears when he becomes flustered etc. It creates a nice thread throughout the story, and you seem to be good at using it in the multipl...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:41 Aug 08, 2020

Daniel, thank you so much for your pointers! I really appreciate it! In my mind, this story is about Bella, recounting all the greatness of Kevin (smart, sporty, well-liked by her parents, etc) as she falls deeper into love, to the peak point where she can give up her virginity. However, I can see why you see the parts to be "shown", not "told" - a couple of other readers have mentioned this too; will keep that in mind for my next submission :) In terms of the bit where they "play games competitively": I have to agree to you; I reread ...

Reply

Daniel Bussey
16:17 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for taking my comments graciously. I know what it's like to write something and then have others critique it. What we create is so precious and personal and it can be hard to see others offer their thoughts and opinions. As I said, in the end, this is your story. I, and I'm sure many others, only want to see you tell in the best possible way.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:51 Aug 14, 2020

I'm really happy to receive feedback, Daniel! Anytime you could offer me some, would love to read it and ponder on it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
06:02 Aug 08, 2020

Deborah, you explained the story very widely and clearly.Although your prompt was very difficult.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:41 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you, Tariq! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ujjwala Ananth
05:31 Aug 08, 2020

The colour is such a beautiful thread throughout the story, and the end was certainly not what I expected. Loved it!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:41 Aug 08, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Ujjwala! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alton Rook
05:01 Aug 08, 2020

This reminds me of Halsey's colors. This was a sweet read. Good luck.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:41 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for reading, Alton :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Lin
23:16 Aug 07, 2020

Hello Deborah. You asked and I came! I liked how the color pink was used in the story and in the context. It amplifies the emotion of it. Good job! Thanks for liking and commenting on my story! Have a wonderful day! ~Emma

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:42 Aug 08, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Emma! You too, have a wonderful day!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.