(Pink)y Promise

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

311 comments

General

Pink was my favourite colour.


It looked innocent, yet sweet. Cute, yet cheerful.


Just like me back in the last year of junior high school. The me who caught the eyes of a boy in grey-coloured uniform. 


The boy was standing at the gate when I came to hand in some documents to enroll in the high school of my choice. When our eyes met, I smiled at him and passed by.


And it seemed my smile made him forget about the popsicle in his hands which started to melt under the sun, as his eyes followed me into the administration room.


The same boy who tried to get close to me throughout the first year of high school. 


The same boy who brought me red roses, asking me to be his girlfriend when I turned eighteen.


---


Pink was the colour of his ears, whenever he felt pressured.


That was one of his habits, which I noticed after being his girlfriend for two weeks. Another one of his habits was to avoid looking at people directly when he uttered a lie.


He was smart. He ranked third in class, while I was third from the bottom. But that didn’t bother him; he taught me everything I needed for the exams without a single complaint.


He was quite sporty too. He was part of the basketball team which represents our school to competitions. Continuously adding three points to the team, he contributed a lot to winning each game. And for that, I was proud to be his girlfriend.


He was also willing to spend time with me. We always had our lunch break together; he liked it better than being with his friends. And for that, I felt very treasured by him.


More importantly, he was well-liked by my parents.


“Kevin has a good attitude and looks trustworthy,” my dad said.


“Kevin is quite handsome, you know. And he loves you so much too. What more is there to ask for?” my mother commented.


They liked him so much, to the point that they allowed him to stay at the house when they were away.


“Take care of Bella for this weekend, okay, Kevin?”


With him agreeing to the request, that weekend turned out to be very memorable. 


We ordered pizzas, ate it in my bedroom, and didn't even think about washing the dishes. We played video games competitively against each other. And just when we grew tired of playing, we switched on the TV and began to watch a romance movie that I’d been wanting to see.


The movie led us to share our first kiss. And a couple more after that.


The kisses led me to lay on my back, with him whispering, “Can I?”


It was wrong; I knew it inside my heart. But that wasn’t enough to stop me from nodding my head. And a nod was all it took for him to start undoing the buttons of my blouse, unbuckling his belt.


It was the day I turned into an adult. It was hurting me, but I didn’t mind it; I did it for the sake of love. Yes, for love. For his fingertips that caress my chest. For the gentle touches of his hands on my hips. For the softness of his lips that kissed me again and again.


The same love that made me utter, “I gave you my first, so you have to take responsibility for it.”


The same love that led me to whisper, “Listen to me. Fulfil my request. Never look at other girls. And don’t even think of breaking up with me. Be with me forever until the day I die,” I paused, looked directly at his eyes.


“Pinky promise?” I stretched my hands toward him.


“Pinky promise,” he answered, intertwining his finger with mine as he shifted his gaze to the ceiling.


And I could see his ears turned pink.


---


Pink was the colour of my lip balm.


The one on my lips when he lovingly spoonfed me at the cafeteria. The same time when I realized someone was staring at us.


The one I put on when we were studying together at the library. The same time when I noticed a person who awkwardly hid her face when I turned my head towards the table behind me.


The one I had on my lips when I cheered on my one and only boyfriend during his basketball practice. The same time when I found out the green-eyed girl who had been following us, adoring Kevin from the other side of the court.


The same one on my pouted lips when I confronted him about this stalker. The same one on my smiling face when he agreed to bring me to the observatory, as I requested; his way to apologize to me. The same one I used as we argued in the car that evening.


“You don’t seem to enjoy this trip,” I opened the talk as I looked at his sour expression.


“No, I enjoy it,” he replied weakly, with his eyes fixed on the road, not batting an eye towards me.


“I think you're lying. You don’t like it because I force this into you, isn’t it?”


“No, no. I am fine.” Again, he didn’t look at me when he answered.


“You keep lying to me. It seems you don’t love me anymore.”


“What? No, I still love you.” Another denial without a glance.


“Then say it while looking at me.”


He sighed out loud just before answering, “I’m driving, Bella. I can’t do that!”


“Then, I take it as you don’t love me anymore. Stop the car, I don’t want to have a romantic stargazing picnic with someone who doesn’t love me,” I made a declaration out of anger. My hands reached to unbuckle the seatbelt.


I could hear him clicking his tongue at my request. I could see his ears turned hot pink as he let out a sigh. “Okay, fine,” he finally turned his head, looking directly at my eyes. “I love you.”


I smiled upon his sentence, feeling satisfied. As I gazed at his eyes, I could see the sky turned orange thanks to the gradually setting sun. 


“I love you too. Now, look at the view behind you, Kevin!” I pointed outside the windows. His eyes followed my finger, admiring the sunset for a few seconds.


And when our eyes returned to the road, our car had already been in the lane for reversed direction, where a teal-coloured truck sounded its horn, driving towards us.


And I could tell he desperately turned the steering wheel, wished it could bring us back to the correct lane, avoiding the truck. But instead, we drove past the railing.


And I could remember the split second when my body floated above the seat. The moment when airbag popped and created a painful ringing on my ears. The same moment when my body flew forward, breaking through the front glass, as I cursed my stupidity to unbuckle the seat belt.


And I remembered the deep dark forest below as I descended to the bottom of the cliff along with the car. Me, who screamed out of sharp pain from the glass cuts. Me, who screamed out of fear, knowing very well that it would be the day I die. Me, who landed on my back, experiencing immeasurable pain from the impact, with warm liquid flowing out from the back of my head.


And as I looked at the sunset for the last time, I recalled all the days that I’ve spent with him. 


The happy times that we spent together, the not-so-happy moments where we argued with each other.


The pleasure of sharing our first kiss, the weekend when we shared our first time.


The pinky promise we made with each other.


And I gradually closed my eyes with pain all over my body.

August 06, 2020 09:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

311 comments

01:17 Aug 13, 2020

Hello 👋!!! Loved the story! It was really good!!!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
14:28 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Nimrit! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
D. Jaymz
21:33 Aug 12, 2020

Great continuation of previous stories. Your magic is still working 👌

Reply

Deborah Angevin
14:29 Aug 13, 2020

Glad to hear that! Thank you for enjoying it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Nice
18:16 Aug 12, 2020

Oh wow, that took a dark twist I was not expecting. I love the continuation of the mentioning of the colours in all of your writing, and 'the-green-eyed girl'. Brilliantly done. :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
14:29 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Jessie! Glad that I can surprise you with the ending :)

Reply

Jessie Nice
19:14 Aug 13, 2020

It sure did! I love a good dark twist to a plot !!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Opeyemi Oyenekan
08:00 Aug 12, 2020

I'm in love with this story. Kudos!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Arvi Krish
02:56 Aug 12, 2020

Nice story Deborah! I smiled while reading the beginning of the story. But it ended with sad note... I was reading again to find out what happened to Kevin, but it was not mentioned (I was hoping nothing happened to him and Bella) Really enjoyed the way you engage readers to your story. Will read yout other stories when I have time . Keep on writing:-)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:44 Aug 14, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story, Arvi! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Syeda Fatima
01:00 Aug 12, 2020

I love the way you described pink as a sense of emotion and played with it well throughout the story. keep it up!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:45 Aug 14, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the inclusion of the colour. Thank you for reading it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
16:35 Aug 11, 2020

Hey Deborah! :D I like how this story is connected with your others, I vividly remember your descriptions of the green eyed girl in your other story, which made this more enjoyable to read. I also love how you use colours to add substance to your story, it's a really nice repetition technique you've gone with. Your flow is also really great-the story is simple to follow, and all your characters actions and thoughts are perfectly incorporated. When you pair the plot with your short sentences, it's even better! Your portrayal of irr...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:35 Aug 11, 2020

Hi Aqsa, thank you for enjoying the story! Also, I really appreciate the feedback; will keep that in mind when I write the next submission!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bianka Nova
15:08 Aug 11, 2020

That got dark fast! :D Very nice story, engaging from start to finish.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:35 Aug 11, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Bianka! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Velma Darnell
11:14 Aug 11, 2020

That's an icredible story with such a sad ending. I liked how you used the colour and described different moments and feelings, showing that life doesn't always bring us what we want. Keep writing :) p.s. I would appreciate if you could read my story when you aren't busy, thank you!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:36 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story. Sure thing, will read yours right away :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Itay Frenkel
00:15 Aug 11, 2020

Your story started off like a happy fairytale, which got me invested in the characters and made the ending even more tragic. I liked all the repetition, and how you used colours to identify some of your characters (Pink for Bella and green for the stalker), it helped me remember them better. It’s also really cool how you stretched certain moments into a whole paragraph, making them all the more intense, like the moment the couple drove over the railing. Way to go Deborah, this was great!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:40 Aug 11, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Itay! I'm glad that readers can relate the colours to the characters! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jacey Lee
16:50 Aug 10, 2020

I had picked a random story to read, and at first I didn't even notice the connection, but when the 'green eyes peeking from behind a book' were mentioned, I realized it was a different perspective from a story I had read a few days ago! I gasped when I made this connection, and that made this even more delightful to read. It was intriguing to read this side of the story, and it was a great mix of sweet and sorrow. I enjoyed it immensely!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:03 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for the kind words, Jacey! I'm glad that you enjoyed both stories :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J.L. Schuhle
15:27 Aug 10, 2020

This story had great progression and kept me wanting more with each shift! Loved the use of color throughout. The honesty when she lost her virginity was my favorite part- it's not always beautiful like we hoped, sometimes it's just something we experience. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:04 Aug 10, 2020

Glad that someone enjoyed that part of the story; I tried to focus on Bella's thoughts about it :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barbara Eustace
11:13 Aug 10, 2020

Great story Deborah. Well written with powerful ending

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:06 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it, Barbara! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Madisson James
04:52 Aug 10, 2020

Deep and complete!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:24 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for reading, Madisson! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:52 Aug 09, 2020

I promised to read another story from you and chose this one. Amazing story Deborah! So captivating and well-written. I like the repetition where the character says 'the same one that...' From that, readers just know that something big is coming! And what an ending - Wow! I was not expecting that. I thought there was going to be a story line with the stalker girl, and then you cleverly turned it in a totally different direction. I saw there was some comments about your other story 'Green Eyes,' I believe, that is related to this one, a...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:23 Aug 10, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed the story, Charm, and thank you for your kind words! This is actually the fourth in the series; it starts with the "Orange-Coloured Sky" and continues on :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
17:25 Aug 09, 2020

This story was amazing, Deborah. Each of the stories in this short series is better than the last. The way that Bella noticed the "green-eyed girl" throughout the second half of the story was amazing. When they "pinky promised" and Deborah could tell he was lying was heart breaking. The way that she actually passed away was crazy. Your description was absolutely amazing; I would never be able to do it that well. -Brooke

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:24 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for your kind words, Brooke! Glad that you enjoyed the story that I wrote :D

Reply

10:04 Aug 10, 2020

My pleasure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kiera Kearsey
12:39 Aug 09, 2020

A real heartbreaking story, but it shows beautifully how not everything ends in happy ending. I simply love how down to Earth the plot is, nothing is sugarcoated: there are happy, angry, and stressed moments, just like in real life. At first I was afraid as I started to read your story because there was so much repetition, but then I realized that it was used rather artfully. It did not make the story one-sided or boring. Actually, it made it even more interesting. I could not stop reading it. And I really love how you played with the co...

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:26 Aug 10, 2020

I'm glad that my writing style with repetition can be seen as "artful" :D. Sure thing, Kiera, will check yours right away!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sav G
12:38 Aug 09, 2020

Beautiful story! I love the connection between the colors and love throughout the story! It definitely makes it more intense! Also, please feel free to check out my new story, ‘Addiction’. Thanks!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:35 Aug 10, 2020

Thank you for reading and sure, will check yours out! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
12:30 Aug 09, 2020

Love your story. It has me wondering what is going to happen next.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
08:34 Aug 10, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it, Tanjanik! Thank you for reading :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Juliet Wilson
12:26 Aug 09, 2020

I really like how you use the colour pink in this story, having it introduce each section of the narrative. Also a very nicely structured sad story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
09:46 Aug 14, 2020

I'm glad that you enjoyed it, Juliet! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.