Kevin Walter Bob John

Submitted into Contest #43 in response to: Write a story about an unlikely friendship.... view prompt

29 comments

Kids Funny Creative Nonfiction




This boy was at the beach, and he was being irritated by several strange children. They were in the water just miles and miles away, and yet they were so extremely loud and obnoxious that he could hear them anyway. They were yelling names at him. They weren’t bad names like Fatacake, Heartfeet, Bonsai, or Justin Beiber, but instead they were names like Kevin, Walter, Bob, and John. Yes. The boy could hear the voices carrying across the water like small vessels of supreme annoyance. He stared at the motley crew of bellowers. He glared at the hollering banshees. Why were they yelling at him anyway? Couldn’t they go bother some other people? And yet, they persisted.

The boy tried to not pay them too much attention. He rolled his eyes and kept splashing his cousin Philharmonic Tummis with salty ocean water. It got into his eyes and then Philharmonic Tummis had to leave and go to the beach’s small and dirty bathroom where he could pump the salt out of his eyes but leave with flesh eating bacteria in his ears. The boy, newly lonely without his cousin, decided that he was just about fed up with the people across the water. He climbed out of the ocean and stood by his parents, Sal and Thora, who were grilling weasel waffles on a, um, grill made for that sort of cuisine. “Those kids are yelling at me.” He told them.

“Maybe you should yell back.” They said.

He ate part of an apple and nodded. Mostly because he thought he may have seaweed in his left nostril and he thought nodding, for some odd reason, would shake it out. “Huh.” He said, and then trotted back down to the water and tried to sneak past the kids who had been yelling at him so loudly. Unfortunately, they saw him and sent out their secret weapon, a little girl around eight years old. She had brown hair, dripping wet and to her chin, and beady little blue eyes.

“They think your name is Kevin Walter Bob John.” She told the boy.

“Well, it’s not.” He told her back. 

The kids yelled at him again and he’d finally had enough. He swam towards them.

“Hey, Kevin.” Said one girl, who was wearing a sawdust hat and had lightning shaped glasses rims. “We missed you!”

The boy blinked. He didn’t know these people. How could they possibly miss him? “Um.” He replied, but not very coherently. 

“What’s your real name?” Asked the other girl, and she had her arms crossed against her chest. She had glitter thrown all around her eyes and nose and ears. The boy thought it made her look like a My Little Pony reject, but she probably thought it made her look pretty. If it made her confident enough to yell at strange boys at the beach, it must be doing something right, the boy thought, and then realized she had asked him a question. 

“I don’t want to…” He also realized that he didn’t want to tell them his name, but he wanted to keep talking to them anyway. It was the lightning glasses girl, the My Little Pony glitter child, the young girl who had coerced him into coming over there in the first place, a boy who looked slightly constipated but also like he had too much laughing gas at the dentist’s office, another boy who had shockingly red hair and a galaxy of freckles smattered about his face, and the last boy, who seemed to be the first boy’s brother and was currently trying to string a piece of yarn through his toes underwater. “Can you guess my name?”

The lightning girl scoffed slightly and the galaxy of freckles chortled like a broken fax machine. “What is this? Rumpetydumpdumpsliskin?”

The boy was pretty sure that wasn’t what the freckle galaxy was trying to say, but he was on a roll and he didn’t feel like burning his bridges quite yet. “Yeah. Kind of. Guess my name and then…. You’ll know it, I guess.” 

“Okay!” Yelled the motley crew, and then they launched into a massacre of names. They pelted names from history, storybooks, dictionaries, pop culture, the kitchen cabinet, the zoology handbook, the electronics department… anything they could think of as a name. They were overthinking it.

Finally, after over ten minutes of frantically bombarding the boy with name ideas, the lightning rim glasses girl said, “Is your name ******?” 

It was indeed. The boy stared back at them in shock. How had they broken through the code? How could they have deciphered his name? It was all too much. He had to leave. He had to jump in his car and drive away. No one could know who he was. He had seen too much, heard too much, and said too much already. 

“Um, yes.” He said, his heart thundered in his chest and threatening to break through his ribs and drown in the ocean water. “It is.”

The group rejoiced! “Can we guess your last name, now?”

The boy shook his head. “No!”

“What about your mother’s name? Can we try and guess that?”

“Um, still no! I have to go. I have to leave.” He scurried to his truck and gave his parents the emergency signal. They swept all their food off the table and tossed the tablecloth into the back of the vehicle. “Bye!” He called to the group, knowing what they would never know.

He sat in the backseat as the truck rocked forward, wondering what would have happened if he had stayed. Would he be safe… or would he already be dead and gone, a lifeless shell of the creature he once was? The boy sighed and put his head in his hands. If only he was fully human again; if only he didn’t have to be such a secret anymore. The wings at the back of his shoulders rubbed against the truck’s seat. Being a were-turkey was such hard work sometimes. 


THE END


May 23, 2020 22:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

29 comments

Kelechi Nwokoma
02:56 May 27, 2020

Rhondalise, I love this one, too. The title was also, good. Kelvin Walter Bob John. Also, what's the boy's name? Was it turkey? Because that's what I think it is. And if I'm right, if he stayed, they'd have probably cooked him. Or am I misinterpreting it?😅

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
02:58 May 27, 2020

His name was Weston, actually.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
03:00 May 27, 2020

It's based on a fun beach day from when I was younger and liked to bother boys at the lake. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kelechi Nwokoma
03:02 May 27, 2020

Haha. I misinterpreted it. But Weston is cool. Why was he keeping his name a secret?

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
03:04 May 27, 2020

In real life, I think he was just playing along with our game, in the story, he used to be a human and had been transformed into a were turkey, so he had to protect his identity.

Reply

Kelechi Nwokoma
03:14 May 27, 2020

Yes, I understand the part of being transformed. It made a really great twist.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
23:57 May 23, 2020

Thank you! I love that you added me in the bio!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
00:19 May 24, 2020

No problem! Hope it helps you out.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:22 May 24, 2020

It does! Thank you!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
00:33 May 24, 2020

Also, your stories are all in my library so if people go there (hint, hint: people, go look at stories in my library to support other authors!) they will see your stories and hopefully read them, like, comment, and follow.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
00:36 May 24, 2020

Nice! Thank you tremendously for the support! I appreciate a lot!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
22:54 May 23, 2020

The title is the perfect touch :)

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
01:51 May 26, 2020

Thanks, Zilla! I had *such* a very difficult time coming up with that one. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Noor Ahmed
14:31 Jun 04, 2020

love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Len Mooring
23:03 Jun 02, 2020

Fantastic imagination, Rhondalise. I loved your phrase ...carrying across the water like small vessels of supreme annoyance. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
23:06 Jun 02, 2020

🌸⭐️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sandeep T
06:03 Jun 02, 2020

Haha come on give a break to Beiber, it's funny and witty, were-turkey haha.. Good luck.

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
13:42 Jun 02, 2020

Oh, yeah, little old Justin got a bit of shade in the first few paragraphs, didn't he? But thanks for commenting, I appreciate that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alyanna Sy
00:45 Jun 02, 2020

Had me in the first half ngl xD Great job! Very entertaining and the plot twist is 👌👌👌

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
01:43 Jun 02, 2020

Haha, thanks!

Reply

Alyanna Sy
02:13 Jun 02, 2020

Lol no problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
A. Y. R
07:39 May 26, 2020

That was a really unexpected twist at the end! I really like the vibe of this story, it prefectly suits the promt this week!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
15:13 May 26, 2020

Why, thank you! It was very joyful to write. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:19 May 25, 2020

Hi Rhondalise!!! I really enjoy every single one of your stories! It would be very helpful if you help spread the word of my stories too!!! I would gladly do the same!!! Thank you so much for your support my friend!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
19:35 May 25, 2020

Yeah, for sure! I love your stories too. I’ve been thinking of a plan for helping friends get their stories out so no worries, you’ll get there and do better than you already are. 💕🌸😁

Reply

19:50 May 25, 2020

Aww thanks so much! I knew I could count on you! You're the best!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daryl Gravesande
22:18 May 23, 2020

You have an eye for obscure names that are interesting enough to keep anyone reading! I love this story as well! The ending was like the cherry on top of a delicious story sundae!

Reply

Jubilee Forbess
22:20 May 23, 2020

Thanks, and now I want ice cream haha.

Reply

Daryl Gravesande
22:20 May 23, 2020

Me too! Imma get some to eat!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.