The Black Fox

Submitted into Contest #180 in response to: Start your story with someone having a run of bad luck.... view prompt

8 comments

Adventure Black Suspense

The black fox had always been a creature of the night, moving through the shadows with a grace and stealth that belied his blindness. He had always been a hunter, using his other senses to track his prey through the dense forests of his home. But he had never encountered an enemy like the anti-natalism regime that now ruled the land.

For years, the regime had been using climate change as a guise for their true goal: the destruction of the traditional family unit. They believed that the only way to save the planet was to stop childbirth altogether, and they implemented a series of strict laws to achieve this goal.

Those who wanted to have children had to pay the regime or become slaves to their will. And anyone who refused to comply was punished severely. The black fox had always been a proud and independent creature, and he refused to bow down to the regime's will.

But his defiance came at a steep price. One day, his wife and three children were attacked by the regime's predator brigade, known for their indiscriminate killing of males, females, and cubs alike. His wife was able to escape with their only surviving son before disappearing into the unknown.

As his children were murdered, the fox could only hear their screams. They were agonizing. He heard his wife's cries as she protected their only son, who was still a baby. In a literal blind rage, the fox went against the predator brigade, using the incredible skills he had gathered through the years as a hunter. Being blind was not a handicap for him. He used his skills and hunting tactics to take down a few members. He fought fiercely, determined to keep his ground long enough to give his wife and cub a chance to escape.

But, despite his best efforts, the predator brigade overpowered the black fox, and he was captured. He was thrown into a dark, damp prison cell and left to rot in the shadows as he waited for his inevitable execution.

But the black fox was not one to give up easily. He had always been a survivor, and he was determined to escape and seek revenge against the regime that had taken everything from him. He spent his days listening to the whispers of the other inmates and gathering whatever scraps of information he could. He knew that the regime had spies everywhere, and he had to be careful.

Finally, the fox saw his chance. He approached a group of guards and promised them a treasure that he had supposedly buried in the forest. The guards, eager for the promised reward, agreed to help the fox escape at gunpoint.

As they made their way through the dense forest, the fox knew that he was playing a dangerous game. He had promised the guards a treasure, but he had no intention of actually giving it to them. He knew that they planned to kill him as soon as they found him.

But the black fox was not about to go down without a fight. He had spent months in prison honing his senses and learning to navigate the world around him despite his blindness. He was not about to be taken down by a group of guards, no matter how corrupt they might be.

As they approached the spot where the fox had claimed the treasure was buried, the guards grew more and more nervous. They kept their guns trained on the fox, their fingers hovering over the triggers as they searched the darkness for any sign of the promised treasure.

The fox knew that he had to act quickly if he wanted to escape. So, with a burst of speed, he grabbed a nearby rock and threw it at one of the guards, knocking the gun from his hand.

The guards were taken by surprise, and before they could react, the fox had already moved in to disarm them. He could hear the guns hitting the ground as he moved with lightning speed, using his superior agility and combat skills to take down the guards one by one.

As the last guard fell to the ground, the fox knew he had won. He had outsmarted the corrupt regime and proven once and for all that he was not to be underestimated. With a sly grin, he picked up the guns and disappeared into the night, ready to continue his fight for freedom.

The fox knew that he could never be safe as long as the tyrannical anti-natalism regime was in power. But he also knew that he had the courage and resourcefulness to stand up to them, no matter what the cost. And so, with a fierce determination burning in his heart, he set out into the unknown, determined to find his remaining family and bring down the regime once and for all.

He spent the next few years wandering the countryside, searching for any sign of his loved ones. He encountered other rebels and freedom fighters along the way, and together they plotted and schemed, looking for ways to bring down the regime and restore freedom to the land.

The black fox became a symbol of resistance, a beacon of hope for all those who dreamed of a better world. He was admired and respected by all who knew him, and his name became synonymous with rebellion.

And yet, despite all his efforts, the black fox could never shake the feeling that he had failed. He had not been able to protect his family, and he knew that they were still out there somewhere, lost and alone.

But he refused to give up hope. He knew that one day he would find them, and together they would bring down the regime and restore freedom to the land. And so he continued his journey, his heart filled with determination and his eyes fixed on the horizon.

The light in his eyes might be gone, but he still sees clearly his goal and what he must do.

January 08, 2023 05:26

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Roger Scypion
07:21 Mar 01, 2023

Fantastic story. Very well written and kept my interest throughout. The Black Fox is a great character with his unique skillsets. This has the makings for a great novel. The opening line captured me instantly: "The black fox had always been a creature of the night, moving through the shadows with a grace and stealth that belied his blindness."

Reply

Emanuel Diaz
23:45 Mar 01, 2023

Happy to read you enjoyed it. This was my first story. So I was nervous when I posted it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
15:30 Jan 16, 2023

You had me at killing the family opener. It's a bit challenging to work with animal symbols. Salmon Rushdie just published a growing city, that was organic, people that grew from the ground and the farmers turned Princes didn't know what they had. It was 42 pages of the story intruding upon the meaning. Mixtures of Twain's story about Satan's nephew and the foundations of Rome. Except it was in India so he lost me. You lost me. Little on the birds. I dunno. I just don't feel like a bird. -lovely opening. -nice pacing -sunset style ending...

Reply

Emanuel Diaz
21:22 Jan 16, 2023

Thank you. This was my real first story. I am an amateur. So I was nervous beyond belief uploading this. Happy you like it. ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
15:08 Jan 14, 2023

Very touching story, Emanuel! The spin on the blindness was a nice touch, giving the hero an additional challenge to conquer on top of everything else. I liked the political leanings and cross-overs behind the obvious story line; may we be further away from that than it feels like, sometimes! Obviously the tragedy of the story, the loss of the family despite escaping the evil regime, was saddening, but I like how you left it open-ended with a little hope in the reader that, one day, the fox might succeed. Nice story!

Reply

Emanuel Diaz
00:40 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you. I am an amateur. So I was scared to post anything or make a story. But I thought I might do it and let it be. Glad you like it.

Reply

Wendy Kaminski
00:46 Jan 15, 2023

You are very welcome, and take heart: most of us here are amateurs. You are in good company, and we're all just learning. :)

Reply

Emanuel Diaz
00:50 Jan 15, 2023

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.