Yours Forever

Submitted into Contest #65 in response to: Write about someone’s first Halloween as a ghost.... view prompt

46 comments

Happy Romance Teens & Young Adult

Oh my god, what has she done with herself? I couldn't believe my eyes. My Roxanne without laughter, perfume, and mascara. Roxanne was my beloved and only child. What I had dreamt about her and what has she become now. She looks like she hasn't combed her hair for days. Her beautiful golden brown hairs are tied into a messy bun, her shoes are filthy. She's wearing my shirt. My orange color collared button-down shirt. The shirt makes her look muscular, the collar has literally covered half of her shoulder. And she's sobbing while walking down the street, amongst the crowd.

Roxanne, now you have to live without your father. Last year after heavy shopping from Halloween mall, I was returning to my house. A jeep driven by a drunk driver jammed into me. And I couldn't make it up to the hospital on time. After a year, I asked permission from the spirit world to see my daughter, on Halloween day. I missed her so much, and know I cannot see her in this state. Where she is still shattered by her father's death. I want my daughter to be happy and healthy at all times. I can't see her miserable and depressed, whatever the reason maybe. She should go on with her life with a smile, among her friends and family members. I see she takes a turn and enters our beloved bookshop. She goes and sits at the counter, where just a year ago I used to sit. She starts to arrange the cash slips and deposits. I have to go now and think about her. As I'm about to leave I notice Aryaman, taking glances at her and pretending to read a book. Aryaman has been a good friend of Roxanne since childhood. After my death, he helped my family a lot. But then Roxanne distanced herself from everyone. I always knew that Roxanne had a special place in Aryaman's heart. And maybe Aryaman would help me.

Aryaman comes to the counter and says "Hi Rox, what's up for you today. Any plans for Halloween"

"Actually it's Roxanne for you. And how can I help you, Mr. Aryaman?"


Rox you are not supposed to shove people aside when you are sad. You are supposed to let people enter your life so that you can reduce your strains.

But what's the use of me saying it to her. She can't hear me.

"Actually, I have to buy this book" and he places a book on the counter table.

Rox picks up the book, registers it into the computer, packs it into our eco-friendly bag, and bangs it into the table. And she does it all even without giving a slight peek at Aryaman. Even if you are sad, you are supposed to behave nicely with your customers. But it's of no use because she can't hear me. Aryaman pays the bill digitally and goes out of the book shop with sloppy shoulders. I follow him, he sits on his Harley Davidson. I sit on the back of his motorbike and he starts it. And in a few seconds I'm talking with the winds, the kids these days. Are always high on the adrenaline rush. Where is the police, he needs a speeding ticket. The law is in the drain now, in our days even if we used to speed up a little bit, we used to get our speeding ticket. It's high time, that we elect a talented and respectable president. We reach the house and enter his room. The walls of his room are filled with photos and sketches of Roxanne. I knew that he loved her, and I'm happy that Roxanne has a good wisher and truthful lover in her life.


He stops by his study table and opens his drawer. He takes out an envelope from it, it's in peach color. When I squint my eyes to see, to whom the envelope is addressed I'm not surprised. It's addressed to Roxanne. He takes out the letter and opens it to re-read it. He relinquishes the letter, I notice a bin nearby. It's full of paper and envelopes. He has really worked hard for it. The letter is subtle and cheesy.


He folds the letter and puts it into the envelope and seals it. Then he goes into the bathroom and closes the door. Now I have the time to finally execute my plan.


I with my apprentice power, unseal the envelope and open the letter. And make the words on the letter disappear. And pens a letter to my daughter.

Kids these days, take so much time to shower. There's no productivity in their schedule. He's getting ready, dousing himself in perfume, gelling his hair. He takes the letter in his left hand. And places his right hand over his heart and whispers to himself in the mirror

"Aryaman, you have to prove Roxanne that you love her immensely. And you are worthy of her'' And integrates his emotions.


We reach the bookshop. He takes a long breath and enters. Roxanne is still sitting on the counter. Aryaman goes towards her and taps at the table. She lifts her head and makes a Nanosecond eye contact with him.


"How can I help you?''

"Can we go into your cabin and talk. Please as a favor come with me"

She stands up and walks into the cabin.

"So what do you want to say," she asks.

He hands her the envelope, she takes it and takes the letter out.

And begins to read.


Dear Roxanne

I still remember the day you were born, you were so tiny and delicate. That day I had promised you that I will always keep you happy, whatever the circumstance may come. Now when I'm not there with you. You have deteriorated yourself. Punished yourself, distance yourself from people, it makes me sad. I have always taught you to be brave and courageous. Today when I see you I get disappointed. Have my teachings failed you? Today I wanted to see you have energetic, bold, and strong women. But here you are sobbing about my death. This is not what I have taught you. If you really care about daddy then you have to stay happy and achieve your dreams. Love the people that love you. All I care about in this world is your happiness. When I see you get tired of your life, then I think I failed as your father. This is our life Roxanne someone goes someone comes. It's the truth it's the reality. All we have to do is carry people's memories with us and remember them in our prayers. And if you really care about me, then wipes these tears and sorrows away. Start to smile and bring your dreams to reality. That's all I wanted and that's all I want. Always with you. You are in my prayers and wishes.


Yours forever

DAD


Her pearl-like teardrops fell on the letter. She sees Aryaman and mouths him to come near her. She hugs him and says him sorry. Aryaman confesses his feelings for her and I see a big smile on my daughter's face.

Roxanne is in Aryaman's embrace. He takes the letter from her, to re-read his masterpiece, and gets shocked. It's not even his letter. He rubs his eyes to check whether what he is seeing is true or not. I see shiver rushing in his body.

Roxanne asks" Hey honey your heart is beating fast, what's the matter"

He replies while stammering "I.....I didn't write this letter...r"

"I know Dad must have hijacked your letter, even after death his antiques haven't stopped"

"But you couldn't know my feelings" There was sadness in his eyes.

"Tell me all your feelings tonight, and show it to me" And kisses him deeply.


Stooopppp its corona time, why are you kissing? Kids these days...


In the evening they dress up a couple for the Halloween party. They are dressed as Batman and Cat woman. And all I could hear was my daughter's honey-like laughter.

And I could feel myself get merged into white light.



October 27, 2020 11:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

46 comments

Cam Croz
00:04 Oct 28, 2020

Great story! Its very wholesome and sweet. You used such good words to describe all that was happening! Great job!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:35 Nov 01, 2020

I have made some changes to the story, please do read it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Felicity Anne
13:16 Oct 28, 2020

Radhika, I love this story! It's so sweet and sad at the same time. I loved how you added the letter at the end, it's so sweet. There were a few grammatical mistakes I noticed: Oh my god, what has she done with herself. - change the period to a question mark My Roxanne without laughter, perfume and mascara. - add a comma after 'perfume' She looks like she hasn't combed her hair since days. - change 'since' to 'for' or 'in' My orange color collared button down shirt. - change 'button down' to 'button-down' Her pearl like tear...

Reply

Radhika Diksha
14:10 Oct 28, 2020

Thank you so much for finding my grammar mistakes. And really appreciate that you took some time to read my story. Can you explain me how to use the above link to edit my story? I will sure make the changes

Reply

Felicity Anne
14:12 Oct 28, 2020

No problem! If you copy and paste the link into the search bar on Google, it should take you to the website I mentioned. Then, you can copy and paste your story into it and click the button that says 'Free Check' and it will check your writing for you!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:16 Oct 28, 2020

can you tell me how to copy paste the story. I tried it but I couldn't. Can you explain the procedure to do it

Reply

Felicity Anne
15:18 Oct 28, 2020

Sure! You hold down the mouse and highlight what you want to copy then, you hit ctrl and c at the same time. Then, you go to a Google tab and hit ctrl and v. If this doesn't work, you may want to look up how to copy and paste on the device you are using. :)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
15:20 Oct 28, 2020

Ok, thank you so much for helping me. Appreciate your effort for helping me. And by the way I'm coming up with a new story by tomorrow please don't forget to check it out.

Reply

Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Radhika Diksha
02:35 Nov 01, 2020

Please do read the changes in the story.

Reply

Felicity Anne
20:06 Nov 01, 2020

I will! Good job!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Yolanda Wu
09:04 Oct 28, 2020

Wow, this was such a sweet story, exploring more into Roxanne as a character, and her dad's endearing love and worry for her as a ghost. I love how you took a very Halloween-themed prompt and made it into your own sweet story. His letter to Roxanne was so heart-wrenching and emotional, you did such a good job with that. And that ending was so perfect. Loved every part of it. Wonderful work, Radhika!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
09:43 Oct 28, 2020

Thankyou so much, Waiting for your story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
02:36 Nov 01, 2020

please do read the changes in the story.

Reply

Yolanda Wu
04:22 Nov 01, 2020

Wow, those changes really made the story more emotional than before. Well done, Radhika!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
04:41 Nov 01, 2020

thankyou so much. So how did you celebrate your Halloween?

Reply

Yolanda Wu
04:53 Nov 01, 2020

Halloween isn't that big in Australia, and plus with covid restrictions, no one was allowed to trick-or-treat. But I still loved Halloween just the same. Funnily enough, this weekend is a long weekend in Melbourne 'cause of Melbourne Cup - it's a horse-racing thing. But yeah, how was Halloween for you?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
05:23 Nov 01, 2020

I just got dressed up and had a cheat day. Nothing much more, due to the covid situation.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
22:09 Oct 31, 2020

Good work on this. :) Besides the grammar, and maybe a few English issues, this one is good. The only thing I saw was what San T said; If the father hijacked Aryaman's letter, Roxanne would never believe that the letter was from her deceased father. Try adding some things like specific incidents only Roxanne would know. Have Roxanne and Aryaman act surprised at the discoverance of a hijacked letter. Other than that, great job! I personally liked this one way better than the other one. Keep on writing!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
02:39 Nov 01, 2020

Please read the changes in the story, especially the ending. Omg you must have really hated my story"hold my hand"

Reply

02:43 Nov 01, 2020

I didn't hate it, but it wasn't my favorite out of your work. ;)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
04:15 Nov 01, 2020

ok got it. How did you celebrate your Halloween? Did you celebrate with anyone special?

Reply

13:46 Nov 01, 2020

I didn't celebrate Halloween at all. ;)

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:55 Nov 01, 2020

Why?? I'm from India, here Halloween is not so famous, still, I got dressed up and all.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
San T.
11:01 Oct 29, 2020

That was such a sweet story. The powers of being a ghost, the feelings of a father, the sweet teenage love.. loved them all. I even found the idea of a ghost riding my bike so hilarious and creepy, both at a time.. nice take. But, I would like to point one thing out here, I felt, you could have put a "p.s. I hijacked his letter to write to you" kind of something, otherwise, I felt, Roxanne could have got angry on Aryaman all over again, isn't it? It's my feeling though, of course you are the writer. Loved your story.

Reply

Radhika Diksha
11:14 Oct 29, 2020

Ya good suggestion would really think about it. And thank you for giving your valuable feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Radhika Diksha
02:37 Nov 01, 2020

please do read the story, I have changed its ending.

Reply

San T.
12:59 Nov 01, 2020

Loved it girl. This sounds so much more wonderful now that the specks of doubts are gone. 😊 Happy Writing!!

Reply

Radhika Diksha
13:26 Nov 01, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Ruth Hunter
08:46 Nov 05, 2020

What a moving story - and I'm glad it had a happy-ish ending! One thing I wasn't sure of - when Roxanne says 'antiques' does she mean 'antics'?

Reply

Radhika Diksha
08:50 Nov 05, 2020

yeah, you are right, I think I made a to mistake. Sorry. I'm glad that you liked my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
03:12 Nov 02, 2020

Wow... this was sooo sweet. I totally felt like the mother here. This was a really nice piece of writing , and the ending was perfect!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.