11 comments

Adventure Fantasy People of Color

It was over. After countless years of fighting death, fighting to survive, it was finally over. The crowd rejoiced around me, bodies swirling together as they celebrated. The cheers were deafening as I pushed past strangers, away from the throngs of people. I had to get out of here, out of these blood-stained clothes. Surrounded by commoners, I stuck out like a sore thumb, but first I needed a drink. A strong one.

There was only one tavern in this town, the cheering of the drunkards outside the small building a dead giveaway. Thankfully there was an empty stool in the corner of the bar, although no matter where you went there was no escaping the news. It spread like wildfire through the small streets, people in full festivities everywhere you looked. I scowled in my seat, as the barmaid gave me my drink. 

“Here’s your whiskey,” she said cheerfully, her pale cheeks flushed pink. “No need to pay today,” nodding her head to my outstretched hand holding two coins. I nodded back, and put the coins away. She left to go serve another patron, leaving me finally alone. Just how I liked it. 

After a few mindless hours sat there watching people drink the whole tavern empty, the parties seemingly endless, it was probably time to leave. My mission had not  changed just because of the news. Sure it made things a little easier but unlike the rest of the world, my sacrifice wasn’t over just yet. One last mission and then maybe I could reclaim back some of the life I had left behind, but first I had to make sure that their deaths meant something. 

The memory of my mother’s sacrifice flashed through my head, the alcohol numbing the pain it held if only a little. Her smile as she went down fighting, her long blonde hair in its usual braid swishing with every slash of her sword. She was a warrior, thriving on the battle, and she taught me to do the same. I drank the rest of my drink, welcoming the heat in the back of my throat. 

“Great day huh?” She sat next to me, her scarlet red nails gripping onto the cup in front of her. She took a sip, her eyes searching my face. 

“Going to guess you heard the news then?” I grunted, silently asking the barmaid for another drink. If I was going to have to sit here with her, have this conversation now then alcohol would be a good companion. 

“The whole country heard the news, if the festivities outside are anything to go by.” She snorted, her red lips the same shade as her nails smirking. “It’s not like they could hide it forever, play it off as an accident. He’s dead. Better yet, he was murdered.” 

Now it was my turn to smirk. “Careful now, if the nobles hear you they’ll have your head for being so unpatriotic.”My green eyes met her dark ones. “Although I’m pretty sure they helped kill him. The boy king they could not control, better off dead for them.”

“Better off dead for all of us,” she agreed. 

I never liked conversation, I found it a waste of time, and yet with her I felt at ease. I hated that she did this to me, even now after all this time. I sighed deeply, “Gaia, what are you doing here?” 

“Whatever do you mean, Daniel?” She feigned innocence, fluttering her eyelashes. “Can’t an old friend say hello, and celebrate such a joyous occasion? The tyrant who sent our young to their deaths, who let innocent men and women die in his name, is dead. Drink up!” She raised her glass of whiskey and winked.

I didn't reply, simply drank the dark gold liquid in my cup as I studied her face. Her dark skin lit up under the dim lights, the red of her full lips, now turned into a smile, looked striking against her skin, suiting her well. Her crown of curls had been braided expertly, and cut short in a bob shape, framing her face. Instead of her usual skin baring outfits, she had opted for a simple white dress, as if to try and blend into the crowd of commoners, although she still stuck out within their parties; she was deathly beautiful, and deathly dangerous. She was also hiding something; a thief could never kid another, not even one as good as Gaia. 

“You had something to do with this didn’t you?” I groaned, knowing she wouldn’t stay out of it. 

“By something, do you mean ‘did I kill him’ because if so the answer would be a solid yes,” she grinned wickedly, her brown eyes glinting mischievously. 

“I told you I had a plan.” I raked my hands through my hair, the curls atop my head matted with blood still. 

“It was a bad plan, and look at the state of you. If I left it to you we would never be so close,” Gaia tutted disapprovingly, pointing at my busted lip and bruised knuckles. She had a point, even if I would never admit it to her. 

“I just needed to blow off some steam okay, and he had it coming anyway,” trying to justify my sorry state. 

“What did he do this time, look too closely at your face?” She snorted, rolling her eyes. I glowered at her, my lack of reply, enough to make her laugh properly. 

“You may want to sort out those anger issues before you see Ace, he won’t play nicely unless you don’t.” 

“Frankly, I couldn’t care less what he of all people thinks right now.” 

“Well, you better because this won’t work without his help,” she says calmly, the flirtatious tone gone now. Now it was business. 

“You didn’t think I would kill the king if I didn’t have a plan on what to do next did you?” She smirked, her nails tapping against the wooden bar. “He has no heir of his own, but we however have just the right person to take control.” Her dark eyes pierced mine, and I dreaded the next words she spoke.

They couldn’t be serious. It had been too long, eradicated from the history books. There was no more proof, documents all burnt, and those who knew, well their corpses lay at the bottom of the ocean. It would never work. 

“The heir to the crown is you, Daniel.”

February 13, 2021 03:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

Elizabeth Inkim
18:08 Feb 25, 2021

Phenomenal! Absolutely stunning! That last line and twist at the end left my jaw on the ground. I adored the small details of red throughout and how you introduced Gaia; bonus points for the dialogue; it was believable. The only thing I would change is the line "she was deathly beautiful and deathly dangerous" to "she was deadly, dangerously talented, and her beauty was lethal". Just a thought that came to me because of the reputation of the word "deathly" was there. What do you think?

Reply

Nuha E.
23:48 Feb 27, 2021

First of all what kind words you made my day honestly! And with the deathly repetition I think I subconsciously did it on purpose to give that insight that she’s gorgeous enough to be that dangerous but she has that edge of being able to kick some ass idk haha 😅 does that make sense? But thank you for the constructive criticism and for liking my story you beautiful human, especially the dialogue because writing speech is hard!

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
01:33 Feb 28, 2021

Yeah, I get the intention of the line, no worries here. And the praise was well earned on your end. Thank you for writing the story. Recently I've been dipping more into romances lately. I usually write in the adventure/ fantasy genre. In fact, I used the same prompt for my story called "Lighting in a Bottle". Although after reading this story I think you would like "Of Bone and Blood" or " The Savage Truth of Fear" both of which are closer thematically to your story. So if you love fantasy as much as I do, I'd love to know what you think a...

Reply

Nuha E.
04:31 Mar 05, 2021

Honestly all of those titles sound awesome, I will be sure to check them out, and give you some feedback in return! In terms of reading, I am into fantasy, ranging from books like Six of Crows to others set within our world so The Last Magician by Lisa Maxwell and the Shadowhunter novels, however I do love those romance and more easy reading books, if you know what I mean. Books set in our reality that have poignant morals and messages throughout, and yet are sometimes those ordinary moments that happen in real life. Writing wise, right n...

Reply

Elizabeth Inkim
12:45 Mar 05, 2021

I am everything fantasy, adventure fantasy preferably, but I love all. For me, there's just something about books set in our reality that have a second world just beyond it, like Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, and Shadow Hunters. I think the magic explanation is always interesting. Although don't get me wrong, anything Leigh Bardugo, Sarah J. Maas, or Tahereh Mafi is my jam. LOVE THEM ALL. I am a graphic designer, so spare time has never been on my side, but I am currently working towards writing a fantasy series, but I'm still in the plann...

Reply

Nuha E.
01:21 Mar 06, 2021

Same, planning and outlining aren’t my strongest point of the writing process, but hopefully with some practice I’ll get the hang of it. Also I read one of your stories, totally awesome, you’re a great writer! I forgot to say that if you liked this story, you may like some of my previous works, such as ‘Forgotten Treasures’ or my next story after this one, (I have two hours to finish it before the deadline, love leaving things to the last minute!) I would love your feedback on those as well!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:11 Feb 18, 2021

A really fun story. I love the way you weave the details through and build up to the big reveal at the end :)

Reply

Nuha E.
16:19 Feb 18, 2021

Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nico 93
22:38 Feb 17, 2021

Ooooh, I love where the story is going! I feel like it could use some polishing, some small errors here and there, but nothing major. I would have loved to hear more about the party outside but I understand it's not part of Daniel's character to celebrate, so it's fitting he's inside an empty bar. Good job!

Reply

Nuha E.
16:24 Feb 18, 2021

Thanks for your feedback. I admit I didn’t check this entry because I finished it so last minute :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.