33 comments

Fiction Funny Inspirational

“So, what’s the catch today? Would you be the Skip in Skipper?”


“Ahoy! You must be the new owner of the Rustic Scup.”


“That’s me. I’m Chet. I hear you’re the man to see for seafood.  You the Skip?”


“Last I looked. How do, Chet. So, I hear you’re also the chef, that right?”


“Guilty.”


“Well, then, that’s what I’ll be calling you. Welcome to Skipper’s Slip, Maine’s finest, at least here in our little hamlet called Limerick. So, Chef, what’s your pleasure?”


“I’ll just go back to the beginning. What’s the catch today, Skip?”


“Well now, this is opportune for you. We just got back from the morning haul.”


“Lucky me!”


“And, well, you won’t believe it, Chef. The halibut was all but jumpin’ in the boat!”


“Wow, that’s great! I . . .”


“But . . . there’s a catch.”


“What’s the catch?”


“Well, then they’s sorta jumped back out again. Like I says, Chef, all BUT.”


“Oh. Uhm, okay. So, what else you got?”


“Well, now, I ain’t lyin’, Chef. The pollock was all sputterin’ and spattered about like paint blotchin’ on a giant canvas! I ain’t never seen nothing like it!”


“Uh, really?  Well, uhm, okay.”


“But there’s a catch. They’s all too fast for the like of our lures and we didn’ set the nets in time. And then, before you could flip a flapjack, they was gone! You know how it is.”


“Uh, oh well, I guess . . .”


“You slow or something, Chef?”


“Uh, no! I’m . . .”


“I’m trying to tell you what it’s like, what you can expect so you know what you’re doing. This area’s got its own way of operatin’ and you, being an outsider and all, I’m trying to give you the inside low-down.”


“Okay. Well, thanks?”


“Now, back to today’s catch. You with me?”


“That’s why I’m here. What . . .”


“I’m gettin’ to it, Chef. We’ll get there. You ain’t in the city no more so just lower it a gear and try to enjoy the view. ‘Round Coral Bend, we seen packs of wolffish, churnin’ barrels of butterfish and an ocean floor of tilefish!”


“And . . .”


“Whelk, the catch is we didn’t. Catch any of ‘em, I mean.”


“So, what do you have? And, please, no more fish tales!”


“Well, and that’s a cryin’ shame ‘cause that’s just what I got for ye, Chef! I got yellowtail comin’ out me ears!”


“I almost hate to ask, but . . . is there a catch?”


“Whatcha got in your ears, Chef? I just said I got ye yellowtail.”


“You mean in the boat? Ready for sale?”


“Whatcha sayin’, Chef? They ain’t sailing nowhere. They’re all yours if you want ‘em.”


“Okay, okay. I’ll take all you got. What else?”


“Boy howdy! You should have seen the bluefin tuna, the bluefish, the blueback herring, the brown trout, the striped bass!”


“What color?”


“Uh, what ya mean there, Chef?”


“Nothing. Any catch there?”


“Nah, that’s why I say you should have seen ‘em, because we sure don’t have ‘em. Slippery devils.”


“Give me strength. How ‘bout flounder?”


“Ain’t I flounderin’ enough for ya, Chef?”


“The catch! The catch! You know what I mean!”


“Aye. There’s summer flounder, winter founder, witch flounder.”


“Which do you have?”


“I just told ye, Chef. Pay attention, would ya?”


“Well, which?”


 “Yah, you bet.”


“Flounder! The fish, flounder fish? Have you any?”


“Well, they be out there somewhere. We couldn’t catch ‘em. Maybe we’ll have better luck tomorrow.”


“What have I . . . you got crabs?”


“Nah, I got a prescription.”


“Ha-ha-ha, very funny. Couldn’t see that coming. Now, look, Skipper, I don’t have all day.”


“You wouldn’t think it so funny if was you got the skeevies.”


“What are you . . .”


“Hmm. You’re wound pretty tight there, Chef. Now, ya know I’m just havin’ a little fun here.”


“I’m talking about crabs, the crustacean, with the shell. You eat them in restaurants!”


“I know me crabs, son! I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck.”


“Let’s try again. Please. Do you have any shellfish?”


“So, now, if you didn’t want crab, why’d ya ask me about ‘em?”


“I do want your crabs!”


“Ach, you do not, me boy! They itch like a son of a . . .”


“Skipper!  Look me in the eye and answer this one simple question. Please! Today, this very day, did you happen to catch any of those delectable green crabs, or blue crabs, that I would like very much to serve in my restaurant, the one I just bought with my last dollar in hopes of starting a new life, and what, so far, has kept me from jumping off the nearest building? And are they on your boat this very minute ready to sell to a paying customer such as myself?”


“That’s two questions, boy. Where’d you go to school? Hey! Where ya goin’?”


* * *


“Ahoy, Chef! That you again now?”


“Thought I’d give it another try, Skip. I got a little overheated earlier, I’m afraid, but there’s still time to prepare for tonight’s service and you happen to be the only game in town.”


“Whelk, thanks, Chef. That’s kind of you to say.”


“So, let’s just start over. You still have that yellowtail you told me about?”


“Sure, and what might you be thinkin’? Them being without cab fare or a thumb to hitch a ride, they ought be right where I left them.”


“Fine, fine. I’ll take all you got. How many do you have?”


“Well, now, let me put me thinkin’ cap on. Better yet, I’ll go take a look-see.”


“That’s all right. Just give me what you’ve got and tell me what else you have.”


“Harkenin’ back to our prior banter, Chef, am I correct in thinkin’ you be wantin’ them crusty critters the tourist-types come all this way to pay a king’s ransom for?”


“Any and all you have, Skip. Fresh today, right?”


“Now, don’t you go gettin’ all hoity-toity fresh on me, Chef. The very idea I’d sell you, my new favorite customer, anything what’s more than an hour’s time out the water, it hurts me sensibilities.”


“Skipper, I was here before over two hours ago.”


“That’s just what I meant to say! Did I say an hour? You misheard me, boy. Still got something cloggin’ up your ears?  I’d see someone ‘bout that, I was you. I got a doctor . . .”


“Never mind, never mind. What do you have for shellfish? Clams? Any clams?”


“Got clams.”


“Scallops?”


“Got scallops.”


“Now we’re getting somewhere. Lobster?”


“Booyah!  A fine day for lobster, if ever there was one!”


“You’re all right, Skipper. I take it all back.  How ‘bout mussels?”


“Whelk, they ain’t what they used to be, me gettin’ on in years, a bit long in the tooth, as they say . . . “


“Focus, please, Skipper. I’m talking the kind of mussels I plan to steam with garlic, lemon, white wine. Ring a bell?”


“Ah, you’re meaning Mediterranean-like, are ya?”


“That's exactly . . . wait, what? Did you mean to make sense just now?”


“I’m joshin’ ya, Chef. You’re too young to be so serious like. Put a little skip in your own step, why doncha. Smell the roses, me boy!”


“I think I’d like to know what you’ve been smelling.”


“Nah, no smelt today, Chef. If I'd knowed you be wanting ‘em, I would have told you right off we ain’t got ‘em.”


“Right, right. Well, anyway . . . where the heck was I?”


“Ya know, they have gin pills to help you with memory, if you be needin’ a boost. I take the liquid myself and look at me!  Sharp as a needle in a hat rack. Why you countin’ numbers again? Didn’t you learn all that in kindygarden?”


“Okay. Let’s just do this as calmly and as efficiently as we can, all right? Are you with me?”


“Whelk, I . . .”


“Skipper!  If it’s all right with you, let’s try something. I will ask you a very simple question, and you do your very best to answer me with one word, just one. Can we try that? Think you can manage that?”


“You want me to dumb this down for ye, is that what you’re . . .”


“ONE word . . . please.”


“Shoot.”


“Too easy . . . “


“What’d you say there, Chef?”


“Nothing. Now, Skip, do you have any of the shellfish known as mussels for sale?”


“Hoo-boy!”


“Do you have shrimp?”


“Jumbo!”


“Do you have oysters?”


“Cowabunga!”


“Do you have squid?”


“Holy Mackerel!”


“Do you have any . . .”


“No.”


“. . . eel?”


“Yes, sirree!”


“Sounds like we hit the jackpot, Skipper! There’ll be some fine dining at the Rustic Scup tonight!”


“What time should I be there?”


“Haha! Now, that’s better! Whew!  Will you box it all up and deliver it to the Scup before noon? We’ll take inventory and I’ll have the checkbook out.”


“Your word is good, Chef, I’m sure. ‘Course, cash is always better.”


“Bring it around before noon and they’ll be something extra in it for you.”


“You got it, Chef.”


* * *


After Skip watched Chet’s vehicle drive off, he turned to look at his boat while thinking how best to go about delivering his catch.


“You want me to take this one, Skip?”


Brody was Skip’s second mate, a local kid who’d opted for the sea over school.


“Nah, Brody.  Just another silver spoon comin’ to take what’s ours. I’ll get her boxed meself and then I’ll be needin’ your young bulk to help load the truck.”


“Sure thing. Just give a yell when you need me.”


“Well, now, where you been?” 


A matted orange tabby with a missing ear had sidled up next to Skip and, following a single full body side-swipe, sat nearby, eyes glued to his old friend.


“You here to lend a claw, are ye? Bring any of your mangy sidekicks along?”


Skip looked beyond the tabby and could pick out several sets of familiar cat eyes behind pillars, carts and crates. 


“Well, now, I kin remember a time when this town took pride in its own; man, beast and everthin’ in between. We used to tend to those needin’ it and not just turn a blind eye, ‘cause it’s easier. ‘Tis a travesty, ‘tis.  Just how many town hall meetin’s I got to stir up to get something done round here worth doin'?”


Skip bent to give the tabby a friendly scratch.


“C’mon then if ye want to make yourself a fish head or two. Bring your friends.”


* * *


When Chet pulled into the Rustic Scup parking lot, he recognized his old college roommate’s car.  Henry lived in a neighboring town and had promised Chet he’d visit the restaurant once he’d gotten settled.


“Henry! Glad you made it.”


“I’ve been coming to the Scup for years, Chet. Had to see for myself that you really bought it, and make sure you know what you’re doing. I happen to like this place.”


The two men exchanged a manly half-hug and back-slap.


“How do you like the blueberry state so far?”


“I’ll take that coastline any day, and just knowing water that cold produces the best seafood.”


“You got your catch for tonight?”


“Not yet. It’s coming.”


“So, you’ve been to see Skip?”


“Oh yeah.”


“And what do you think of the resident fishmonger?”


“Ah, yeah, he’s different. Impossible to get a straight answer. How well do you know him?”


“Not very. What I hear though, he’s been around since the place opened. Means well, but then that’s what they always say when there’s nothing else you can say.”


“I imagine he’s an acquired taste.”


“He’s a fixture. Hasn’t ever known anything else.”


“Well, if his wares are as fresh as these waters, I don’t care if he’s Donald Duck.”


“Ha! Careful what you wish for!  Say, speak of the . . .”


A dilapidated old truck with the words Skipper’s Seafood hand-painted on the sides of the truck bed pulled up near the kitchen entrance and parked. A skinny kid with long unwashed hair poking out from under a knit cap was squinting in the direction of the two men.


“I’m Brody, from Skip’s?”


“Great!  Let’s see what we’ve got.”


The men marched together on crushed seashells, a sharp crunch accompanying every step as they made their way to the truck. Brody jumped onto the back cabin and began to open one of the crates with a prybar wedged under the lid. He popped the lid open and quickly jumped back.


“What the . . .”


The instant the lid was off, a great clowder of cats jumped out of the crate like a dozen or more feline jacks-in-the-box.  They hissed, spat and scattered in all directions. The men looked at each other, speechless.   


They both turned to look at the boy, who looked as baffled as they both felt. He nervously turned his tools and attention to the next crate. 


One by one, each of the four giant wooden containers in the back of the truck revealed cluster after cluster of irritated, indignant felines of every size and description. They all quickly disappeared from sight to parts unknown as Chet and Henry looked on, eyes wide and mouths agape.


Once the crates were emptied, their contents dispersed, and they could again hear themselves think, the two men turned to the boy. He was digging in his front overall pockets.


“Skip told me to give you this.” Brody handed Chet a crinkled piece of stained paper with some writing scratched on it.


“Sorry, Chef. Cats got to the ketch afore you did. Try to be qicker next time, will ya?”


Chet shoved the paper into Henry’s chest before heading back into the kitchen, stiff, white, and with eyes glazed. 


Henry read. He then turned to the boy, still looking dazed and frozen on the back of the truck.


“You waiting for a tip or something?”


Brody took the hint and jumped from the bed, slammed the tailgate shut and hightailed it to the driver’s seat. By the time he got the engine started, Henry was already back in the kitchen with Chet.


“Just what in hell’s name am I supposed to do now?”


“Calm down, Chet. I’ve heard this sort of thing has happened before.”


“What?”


“And there’s a supermarket the next town over.”


“There’s a what?”


“If you’re going to . . .”


“There’s a what?”


“Breathe, Chet. Deep breath. Do it with me. One, two . . .”


“Henry, talk to me before I start throwing things!”


“First, just how well did you read the Title when you bought this place, Chet?”


“I’ve gotta sit down.”


“Okay. But if you don’t mind . . . I’ll be right back.”


Henry quickly walked out of the kitchen through swinging doors. Chet heard the clinking of glassware. Henry returned with a shot glass in one hand, a bottle of rum in the other.


“Yes, I know where the bar is. Drink this.”


Chet bypassed the glass and took the bottle, tipping it back. After setting the bottle down, he closed his eyes and shook his head like a wet dog.  When he opened them again, he seemed slightly calmer.


“Talk to me.”


“It’s a well-established fact around here, Skip’s eccentric ways. Small town, old school. Guys like him are an integral part of Maine’s character and . . . charm.”


“But is he really the only game in town?”


“Well, there’s something else that’s also well-established."


“What’s that?”


“The Scup’s title, was there any small print you think you may have skimmed through?”


“What are you saying?”


“When you bought this place?”


“Probably.  Why?”


“Well, I happen to know this because I have a friend who handles local real estate, and it's fairly well-known that Skip comes with the Scup.”


Chet stared at the bottle of rum and frowned.


“How?”


“Skip was apparently the first owner of the Scup back in the day and, well, sort of got carried along, grandfathered you might say, as part of a package deal from then on.”


Chet narrowed his gaze to Henry.


“How?”


“All the seafood served at the Rustic Scup shall heretofore be provided exclusively by . . .”


“No!”


“Yes."


"Well, so what am I supposed to do now?"


"There's an exception, the catch.”


“Let me guess.”


“The supermarket in the next town. Reread the title, I'd suggest.”


“So, looks like I'm caught.”


Henry nodded. “Yep, though Skip is probably the biggest catch of them all.”


Chet sighed.


"This supermarket. Where is it?”


March 05, 2023 23:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

23:46 Apr 15, 2023

Charming!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Rebecca Brothers
12:22 Mar 14, 2023

Love it. I almost tried the fish angle with my own story, but the words took me in a different direction. This is unique!

Reply

Susan Catucci
15:26 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks so much, Rebecca - I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It was great fun to write and sort of make its own way. All nautical nonsense. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Suma Jayachandar
13:00 Mar 09, 2023

Susan, This is a linguist’s delight! Though I’m not one, I found the story thoroughly enjoyable. The pacing is great, the dialect gives authenticity to the banter and of course the humour is on point! I have always found your stories to be structurally brilliant and this is no exception. Thanks for sharing!

Reply

Susan Catucci
14:38 Mar 09, 2023

Haha, thank you, thank you, Suma. I certainly can't work the kind of magic you do with your writing. I won't start gushing, but I think we have a fun mutual admiration society on our hands, one of the side benefits I've enjoyed about Reedsy. If just a smidgen of your talent and artistry rubs off on my development - and visa-versa - it's a wonderful thing. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
19:16 Mar 08, 2023

Susan, big strory. Nicely spaced out with great flow. Gave the impression of throwing out a net and seeing what you catch. Only to be outfished by real catfish sent by the master player of them all. So cat user friendly like a purrfectly fishy tale! Chet like the gutted fish who is stuck. Well done! LF6.

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:06 Mar 08, 2023

Thanks, Lily. Funny, I've never owned a cat but I've grown to think I understand them, at least a little, and they've played important roles both last week and this. That's been fun. And I'm so happy you appreciate Skip. Those guys are really rough around the edges but possess hearts of gold and don't take to change easily. I had the best time getting inside his salty head. I hope to put him on paper again in the future.

Reply

Lily Finch
21:27 Mar 08, 2023

That will be great! LF6.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
KT George
14:46 Mar 08, 2023

I felt like I was reading Maine's version of Catch-22. So clever and well-written, with the fast dialogue and fish puns! Now I want some Lobsta Rolls! 😋

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:17 Mar 08, 2023

Oh, now, I'm always wanting some lobsta! If you're ever in Maine, check out Young's Lobster Pound in Belfast. Picture picnic tables, salt air and a boiled lobster any size you want; two pounds is usually a pretty good bet. And you can use butter if you want but it seriously doesn't even need it. Welcome to Lobsta Paradise! I'll be dreaming about it tonight (sigh). I'm glad you enjoyed reading it, KT - I had a blast writing it. Thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:25 Mar 08, 2023

Holy Mackerel! You really kept the fishy sounding jokes flowing. I'll bait you into writing a dialogue only story if that prompt ever shows its head again. If nautical nonsense be something you wish, Then drop on the deck and flop like a fish.

Reply

Susan Catucci
12:55 Mar 08, 2023

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!!! Don't go wastin' ye grubs. Thar's a bit o' reasonin' behin' fishes bein' brain food, son. An' I's got the noggin' fer the job!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
14:45 Mar 07, 2023

Pretty sure there is no fishy pun unpunned here! You've nailed them all with your Skipper and provided a fun fishtail for the reader.

Reply

Susan Catucci
15:01 Mar 07, 2023

Yay! That was the intent. Catches abound and there's plenty to go around. The word itself is so much fun and can be used in so many ways. Fun fun fun.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
10:40 Mar 06, 2023

Just a fun and delightful story filled with puns and pains. I think you should be in the pun-itentiary for your sins! LOL You already know what I think of this tale. Delightful and engaging, worthy of more than one read-through. Your mind is amazingly adept at coming up with puns and wordplay. So much is hidden in this story. The cats in the crates - maybe a reference to cat-fish? Just great, great stuff. Cheers, Susan.

Reply

Susan Catucci
21:30 Mar 06, 2023

Hey Del, well, you know, just the word catch has so many orientations so my zany side had a field day with this one. I've spent time in Maine and the Skip lives, believe me. And, if there were such a thing as a punitentiary? I'd go willingly. Especially if it has a lot of bars. (Lord, stop me now)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
04:20 Mar 06, 2023

This was such a fun take on the prompt. I like the literal catch and then springing the catch in terms of the fine print in the contract at the end. It’s a double edged response to the prompt. Very clever. All your seafood puns were groan worthy and fun to read. What a snarky and witty old man!

Reply

Susan Catucci
02:43 Mar 07, 2023

It wasn't me, Michelle, I blame it all on the salty old Skip. All I did was give him a voice,and a platform. I'm with you though, they seem to think they own the place and continue to resent any form of intrusion. (Thanks for commenting - it was meant to be just how you perceived it) :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
02:28 Mar 06, 2023

lol Infuriating old cod-ger! ;) Course, what does Chef want? After all, he did get several crates of catfish! Very cute story, Susan! And that is definitely a catch that is going to make me read things a little more closely! :D PS - pollock was all sputterin’ and spattered about like paint blotchin’ on a giant canvas! - right then, I knew it was going to be punful...! *grin*

Reply

Michelle Oliver
04:17 Mar 06, 2023

Very punny Wendy!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Susan Catucci
02:49 Mar 07, 2023

If anyone has ever spent any time in this most unique corner of the northeast, I guarantee you will meet a Skip - tread carefully, out-of-towners, you will be laid low and won't ever see it coming, And possibly convince yourself it never happened. I've been there and am still trying.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Elisheva L
21:54 Mar 15, 2023

This was great! Really entertaining dialogue and the puns were ex-squids-it (I am so sorry for that)!! It got a bit dull for a minute there but you brought the comedy back really nicely! Nice job.

Reply

Susan Catucci
17:13 Mar 16, 2023

Thanks, Elisheva - ex-squids-it? No apology necessary! (Only wish I'd thought of it.) I'm happy you stopped to read and write and you enjoyed one-of-a-kind Skip.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Chris Campbell
07:16 Mar 14, 2023

Susan, Very funny dialogue with the Skipper. To me, he sounds like a cross between Manuel from Fawlty towers and Benny Hill's character called Fred Scuttle. what a frustrating but hilarious character and a fun read. Well done!

Reply

Susan Catucci
13:22 Mar 14, 2023

That's a huge compliment in my book, Chris - love Manuel! Fawlty Towers is one of my favorites of all time. Love Benny Hill! Believe me, it was as much fun to write. These characters are epic. So glad you liked this one.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
23:53 Mar 12, 2023

Those fish puns were just too good. Super clever use of a lot of the names (mussels, crabs, flounder, and Holy Mackerel were my favorites). The puns were my favorite part of the story, but I also enjoyed Skip's character very much. A product of his location, and written perfectly to encapsulate that. Someone comes to buy some fish from you and you tell them about your prescription for crabs? Yeah, I'm a fan. That's hilarious. Now critique-wise, I found the first half of the piece more compelling than the second half, so much so that I beli...

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:40 Mar 13, 2023

Love, love, love reading your feedback/critiques, Zack. I feel the same way you do about the dialogue; I've never had so much fun. Skip is real, a product of -- well, read some of my comments below and that provides much of the background to this character. I was well equipped from personal history to put this salty dude on paper. I spent so much time in that world - and it is a world unto itself - I can distinctly feel what it is being there - and the most important ingredient, the more I think about it? I love the place. There's so m...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
07:44 Mar 12, 2023

This read like a whole lot of fun, Susan. I did enjoy all the wordplay, especially the alliteration. Skip and Chet and the whole fishing community were just so vividly brought to life by the dialogue. You really have a wonderful ear for speech. And setting it in Limerick was a god call as the whole piece was just as snappy and funny. Truly memorable.

Reply

Susan Catucci
14:09 Mar 12, 2023

Well, Rebecca, you get extra points for catching the Limerick connection. I'm from the northeast and Maine is a special old haunt, so near and dear and part of my DNA at this point. It's all love and fun (and lots of words strung together). I love hearing from you - thanks so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viga Boland
22:56 Mar 10, 2023

Well that’s the fishiest, funniest tale I’ve read in ages. Couldn’t help picturing it as sit com. That ongoing repartee just lends itself to TV comedy hour. And, as you well know, dialogue just makes it zip along. No wonder I loved it. You were doing my favorite thing…showing us the characters through dialogue. It’s a skill not enough writers use well. But you sure do. 😉

Reply

Susan Catucci
00:46 Mar 11, 2023

So happy to hear, Viga - and that's it; a voice you hear that tells the tale for you. You're merely - or not so much- the scribe with the responsibility of make it all ZING, or at the very least, palatable. What a joy when it works. And to receive praise like yours. Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:50 Mar 08, 2023

Ha! So first off, great take on the word "catch," right from the opening sentence. I'm in the same prompt this week, but alternate uses of the word didn't even occur to me, and you put it through its paces :) This story is funny. And infuriating. And funny again :) There's just too many good lines. Some of the following had me laugh out loud: "Nah, that’s why I say you should have seen ‘em" - lol! I walked right into that one. "Did you mean to make sense just now?" :D “Do you have any . . ./ No. /. . . eel? / Yes, sirree!” - ha! "Mea...

Reply

Susan Catucci
22:33 Mar 08, 2023

Delightful feedback. Poor Chet, yet if you've been to the blueberry state, you know there does exist those crusty natives who really resent the posers who pretend to be "local" just by the act of moving and now living there. It's a slippery slope you might survive if you're just passing through. You never, ever disappoint with your analyses, Michal - you highlighted one of my personal where'd-that-come-from phrases, "Means well . . ." You hear it enough in your life, it does begin to sound like a - forgive me - catch phrase. The bant...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.