78 comments

Creative Nonfiction Sad Crime

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

“Hello, my name’s Maggie.”


“Hello, Maggie!”


“Like most of you, I’m a victim of abuse. I understand what this process involves is sharing my story with others at tonight’s ASCA meeting. I know this is one of the steps we all have to take within this Adult Survivors of Child Abuse support group. I’m sure everyone who’s attended any of these meetings before, and since it’s my first time, knows how hard that is for me to do.”


“Thank you for sharing, Maggie!”


“So, here goes… I’d climbed up behind my boyfriend, Joey, on his motorcycle, and we rode away on the bike that night. Full of fear and fright; doubts I quelled by telling myself goin’ anywhere’s better than here.


Joey says ‘Maggie, we’ll go chase rainbows, and see what’s beyond this dead-end road’. Then, kick-starting the bike, we roared off into the darkness. I can still remember, and feel, that starlight wind blowing my hair. And with my arms wrapped tight ‘round Joey’s waist, we were on the road, a road to anywhere…

 

My mom was probably still sprawled out on the floor, half-conscious, that night; moaning and weeping, blood leaking from her busted lips, trying to rationalize that this was just life with pops. But that life didn’t have to be mine, anywhere was better than there


See, my mother’s man was violent and dangerous – short-fused – always about to explode. And no matter how often the same shit show had happened before, like moths to a flame, mom was drawn and attracted to him. Regardless of the many, many times her wings were left burnt, singed, and broken, ‘cause of him and what he did to me and mama.


But that’s all in the past now, years ago; so many men have passed through my life. A few I cared for, some bad, or worse, but none left a hurt on me like mom’s ol’ man. See, real reason I ran away from home, papa was creepin’ in my room at night, and my mother knew somethin’ just wasn’t right. So simply to be not there - I left home for anywhere


And even though I’d thought I got away, I never truly escaped. Ay, now there’s the Shakespearean-like Hamlet rub, right? At the end of every single day, what difference does it make where you are when you can no longer love; establish long-term lasting relationships with anyone; fully trust your family, friends, and lovers – or actually, anyone at all? Do you know what I mean?”


“Yes, we do! Yes, yes, yes!”


“When mama’s man broke my wings way back when, at an early age, that damn SOB also crushed my heart for good. That prick left a pain I carry every step of the way, each and every day since, ‘cause he did to his daughter what no daddy ever should do. I wasn’t only violated – I was ruined for life when it came to relationships.


Next, if you can fast-forward with me going on some twenty years ago after that night, to a time and place when and where I married me this fella, then y’all’ll understand exactly what I’m talking about standing up here in front of youse tonight here at this ASCA meet.


He, who I guess I’d now say is currently my ex-husband, well, he never hit me or anything, but just couldn’t keep it in his pants. That horny tomcat would dirty dance ‘hind my back – but hah, so much for romance! It hurt me deep down bad, but he never ever even cared, I imagine.


Look, I want to say I’m truly sorry for what I’m about to share next. Perhaps it has nothing to do with rape, incest, or abuse, but maybe it does. Well, I certainly think so, so I hope it’s alright to share it with the room.”


“Share, share, share, share, share, share, share, share!”


“Okay, now a’days my doctor says I’m sick with cancer, and there’s not a helluva a lot that they can do for me anymore. And when that husband heard, he just cut bait, leaves me to never come back – and that’s that for the unhappy marriage. Don’t know where that cheatin’ bastard went, except away from me and my problems. That dude’s just another sorry soul on the run who ran away to anywhere, then simply disappeared


He’s probably shackin’ up with some dumb young thing that’ll wake up one morning to find he done the very same thing he done to me, to her. You know, I pity that girl ‘cause I don’t think she done nothing ‘gainst me. Damn, for all I know, that poor, dumb broad most likely never ever knew he was married while he was a’bangin, her booty in some fleabag cheap motel that lets rooms by the hour, ya know.


Now, I don’t have long here on this Earth, but I’m fine with that. I’ve made my peace best as I can, my friends. Not sure where I go when my life ends but does anyone really know? All I know for sure is it felt like a heavy stone I’d been carrying on my back all these years has been lifted by y’all listening to my miserable life story. It truly does, and I thank y’all – but I believe I won’t be back here for another meet with you. You see, yet again, I’ve got that wanderer’s gnarling, hungry feeling for the road to ‘anywhere’s’. For wherever f’ing anywhere is, it’s got to be f’ing better than the here where I been feelin’ I’m at again.


So after this meetin’ I’m gonna walk until I find me some highway, stick out my thumb. And if finally, some car slows down, and the driver says to me ‘Come inside, it’s cold out there, where ya going, dear?’ I’m not gonna just tell him – oh no – I’mma gonna plead, ‘Mister, or ma’am, please just drive to far away. To anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, anywhere, anywhere better than here!’ Thanks, I really mean it, and God bless…”


February 18, 2023 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

78 comments

Gloria Preston
13:45 Feb 27, 2023

Poignant, detailed with a tone of narrator sincerity. Beyond that, there are issues such as punctuation errors. In addition, several paragraphs into the story, the narrator shifts into a drawl that was not evident initially. In revision, that issue could be corrected. But as it stands, it is distracting to the reader. In the kick-start paragraph, "we" kick-start the bike. That inconsistency is another distraction since only one person can kick-start a bike. The topic is compelling and instructive. But revision is required.

Reply

Stevie B
14:10 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you for your feedback, Gloria. Maggie actually would pepper the many conversations we had with varying regional dialects, accents, and idioms as she often moved around to various parts of the country throughout her life which the local residents employed in their speak patterns. I found that a rather endearing quality which I intentionally included to stay true to the way she spoke. Any examples of the punctuation problems you mentioned, or any other issues that you'd like to share with me would be appreciated. It's great to know you n...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
15:56 Mar 29, 2024

Excellent. I enjoyed. Tough stuff to read but couldn't put my eyes off until the end.

Reply

Stevie B
18:43 Mar 29, 2024

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:45 Jun 12, 2023

How’s it going, Stevie?

Reply

Stevie B
09:18 Jun 12, 2023

Still breathing - thanks for asking. Been consumed by what appears to be a reinterest of my music career within the industry. Released a single (LUCIFER'S RAIN: https://youtu.be/dekrOeA5B9U) mid-April that did surprisingly well and has opened many new doors for me. So riding that wave for the time being.

Reply

Graham Kinross
09:49 Jun 12, 2023

Glad to hear it. I listened to your song. Very on point. We live in interesting times. Maybe the devil can find Jesus in prison as so many offenders do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tommy Goround
05:26 May 27, 2023

You ok?

Reply

Stevie B
14:28 May 31, 2023

Still breathing - thanks for asking. Been consumed by what appears to be a reinterest of my music career within the industry. Released a single (LUCIFER'S RAIN: https://youtu.be/dekrOeA5B9U) mid-April that did surprisingly well and has opened many new doors for me. So riding that wave for the time being.

Reply

Tommy Goround
15:03 May 31, 2023

Cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
12:48 Mar 15, 2023

Thanks for even noticing 'No More Bullies Re-imagined'. Like this one for you it was hard for me to write. One helpful judge thought it lacked something so I tried again. The only way to re-enter was through a contest so... I did not submit it, just needed it on my profile (no button that I could find?) When I read the threads here I realize why I feel out of my league. What a wonderful community! This story is superb. So creative for the prompt. And the only thing else I can say is me, too. Though not at Maggie's level. I talk to my therapi...

Reply

Stevie B
19:11 Mar 15, 2023

Thank you, Mary. But please don't ever waste your time comparing yourself to others - invest it in being the best you possible!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
19:14 Mar 15, 2023

What an upbeat comment. Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mike Males
07:59 Mar 03, 2023

Great dialogue on a harsh topic.

Reply

Stevie B
10:33 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you, Mike, for your feedback. on a subject we all should be ashamed of for something that still happens every day to so many. There is much in life to be ashamed, and we all should be ashamed this continues to happen!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
23:52 Mar 02, 2023

Known too many female friends with some variation one this kind of story (one I barely knew who just launched in during an unrelated chat). You and Maggie got all the raw pain across in a way I could feel in my gut. Very well done!

Reply

Stevie B
10:26 Mar 03, 2023

Thank you, Martin. I feel I deserve only a morsel of the amount of credit in the creation of this work as 99.9% of what words you read were merely what I transcribed from memory of my conversations with Maggie. In other words; my contribution was that of a reporter as opposed to a creator. Yet, it was indeed artistically fulfilling to feel, as if from the grave, she chose me to deliver her message of shame regarding a subject we all should be ashamed of for something that still happens every day to so many.

Reply

Martin Ross
18:13 Mar 03, 2023

Then you did a phenomenal job of reporting (what I did for 33 years). You have to have real heart and soul to communicate others’ pain and challenge and hope. In my job, I had to take the cold data or analysis of scientists and economists or the BS of lawmakers and make it something readers could relate to their lives and futures. You take raw grief, anger, and confusion and process it into some of great value to the folks too angry, damaged, or grieving to process it themselves — as well as for folks who need to understand the ravages aroun...

Reply

Stevie B
20:57 Mar 03, 2023

You've shared such kind words with me, Martin.

Reply

Martin Ross
00:15 Mar 04, 2023

This is a family I’m so grateful to be a part of. The support and camaraderie here is so much stronger than in other writers’ groups I’ve encountered. Thank you for the kindness you’ve shown me, too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
John Lindquist
04:53 Mar 01, 2023

Good, strong story. I read some of your responses in the comments and I love the "behind the scenes" from the author. Maggie seems like she was a very interesting person. Thanks for sharing.

Reply

Stevie B
10:09 Mar 01, 2023

John, thank you. She certainly was. I've been writing for more than a half century and the more I've written it becomes more apparent that reality is often more interesting than fiction, albeit I'd never give up fiction since it allows us to reorganize reality the way we believe best.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamie Gregory
14:55 Feb 28, 2023

You really captured the raw authenticity and tragedy of your friend’s life story. I think it was a wise choice to write it as a monologue in a support group setting, it made for an interesting take on the prompt. One of my favorite parts was, “And no matter how often the same shit show had happened before, like moths to a flame, mom was drawn and attracted to him. Regardless of the many, many times her wings were left burnt, singed, and broken, ‘cause of him and what he did to me and mama.”

Reply

Stevie B
16:10 Feb 28, 2023

Thank you, Jamie. Wish I could take full credit for the setting idea (as opposed to transcribing Maggie's words as numerous calls) but the Reedsy Prompt subject list must get credit where credit's due - it's just the way I roll... The section you quoted was derived from lyrics to a song I wrote about Maggie's calls, and with the same title, that I wrote before this story the day before, and that go "Mama half-conscious, sprawled on the floor/Moaning and weeping, bloodied lips leaking/She rationalizes: it's just life with papa/But that life ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Stevie Burges
04:25 Feb 27, 2023

That is a good description of someone sharing and following the prompt of only using dialogue. The share gives an excellent description of the MC's story and history.

Reply

Stevie B
07:30 Feb 27, 2023

Thank you, Steve. The prompt provided the opportunity to relate Maggie's story as a soliloquy as opposed to a series of conversations from which it was actually derived.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nathaniel Miller
03:30 Feb 27, 2023

Fascinating, heartbreaking story, Stevie. Really great depth you bring, really interesting monologue. I thought the mc was quite believable; her motivations are poignantly expressed and her desire to get out, to be anywhere but there, are really fitting. Well done. Interesting societal commentary, as well. Really good thing groups like this exist, because I know stories like Maggie's are all too common. We, as a society, have just failed to recognize them.

Reply

Stevie B
07:37 Feb 27, 2023

Nathaniel, thank you. Where society fails creators must bring these omissions and failures into the spotlight of collected consciousness. I believe if that goal is accomplished then mere creation transcends into an artistic realm.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lisa Cornell
22:07 Feb 26, 2023

I got a sense of her personality just from her words. Great use of using just dialogue alone.

Reply

Stevie B
22:18 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks, Lisa. Maggie was indeed a unique individual and compassionate person.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
03:43 Feb 26, 2023

Powerful dialogue on a subject that must be raised to help people to understand and hopefully sometimes having a chance of healing- if it is ever possible to make sense of such a thing. The main character has a tragic life but is not portrayed as a victim and is very self aware. Very easy to read.

Reply

Stevie B
10:20 Feb 26, 2023

Thank you, Helen. I believe the true strength of this story is it faithfully sticks to the way Maggie told it to me (I only added the support group setting as method to deliver those words as an entire soliloquy) and the way and words she described the events and feeling she shared.

Reply

Helen A Smith
10:24 Feb 26, 2023

Yes, I understand.

Reply

Stevie B
10:39 Feb 26, 2023

Thanks, again!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Helen A Smith
03:36 Feb 26, 2023

This is great dialogue Stevie on a powerful theme. The character was strong and was not allowed to become a victim. That was what struck me. Also easy to read.

Reply

Stevie B
10:21 Feb 26, 2023

Bringing back the memories of Maggie was tough for me to write. She was a wonderful friend.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
18:41 Feb 25, 2023

I think that attachment defect you mention is more common than not, amongst abuse survivors of all types, but in particular the tragedy of ones sexually abused. It truly is a lifelong curse that is only now getting the recognition it deserves for the lives it continues to ruin... on both sides of the later relationships. Thanks for a powerful story, Stevie.

Reply

Stevie B
19:39 Feb 25, 2023

I truly wish it wasn't something that had to be written but felt compelled to do so. Maggie, even though we never met in person, was a real friend, so I'm sorry the story was hers to carry until death.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charlie Murphy
18:09 Feb 25, 2023

You wrote this story very well. I felt her anger through her dialogue. The title says it all.

Reply

Stevie B
19:41 Feb 25, 2023

Some stories, regardless of how uncomfortable they are to write, must be shared. Thank you, Charlie.

Reply

Charlie Murphy
20:27 Feb 25, 2023

You're welcome. Thank you for liking my story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
23:32 Feb 22, 2023

Great writing on some heavy themes. I swear, some of those lines could be lyrics to a song. I really liked the dialogue and the soliloquys from the MC. Just beautiful prose. Great job, my friend.

Reply

Stevie B
23:38 Feb 22, 2023

Thank you, Delbert. It actual was birthed last Friday morning as one of the darkest and most depressing songs I've ever composed, then by Saturday afternoon had also morphed into this short story. And yes, some on the lines in the story are the lyrics from that song of the same title and subject matter.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kelly Sibley
10:34 Feb 22, 2023

So well written and so very sad because it's true for so many. Well done for writing about a very complicated and tragic life story.

Reply

Stevie B
11:26 Feb 22, 2023

Thank you, Kelly. Although it's been many years since Maggie shared her story with me I'm still haunted by them when they tap my windows late at night.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:46 Feb 21, 2023

Heavy subject matter, and tragic that it's both very real and widespread. It's a good thing such groups exist, and hopefully bringing these stories to light helps people heal, and reduces any stigma they may face. Maggie here gets doubly kicked, when she also gets cheated on in adulthood, and then once again when she gets effectively dumped after the heavy cancer diagnosis. Any trust issues are very understandable. And yet, despite all the misery heaped on her, she comes across as strong and resilient. She's sharing her story, but not lo...

Reply

Stevie B
22:03 Feb 21, 2023

Michal, thank you. It actually began as a song last Friday before morphing into a short story on Saturday.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Roger Scypion
08:06 Feb 20, 2023

Fantastic! I was enthralled throughout and went on the emotional ride to the very end. A great piece of writing! Kudos!

Reply

Stevie B
10:44 Feb 20, 2023

Roger, happy to know you found it engaging!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.