Red, Blue, White

Submitted into Contest #51 in response to: Write a story about someone who's haunted by their past.... view prompt

247 comments

General

To Bella,

 

Red was the colour of your favourite flower, roses. The first flower that I bought for a girl. The flower that you always liked to receive, regardless of the situation.

 

Blue was the colour of your skirt, your junior high school uniform. The one you wore when we first met at the entrance test for the high school that we attended.

 

White reminded me of the packaging of your favourite soft drink. The fizzy drink that tasted weird, the beverage that I hated. The only thing that we couldn’t seem to agree on.

 

Yet it all changed after that car accident under the orange-coloured sky.

 

Red became a strong and lasting imagery in my mind. 

 

It reminded me of the blood, as it gushed out from the back of your head as you gradually closed your eyes. The colour of the warm liquid that painted your cold body, the colour that got transferred to mine as I hugged you for the last time. 

 

It kept me awake at night, as guilt filled my heart. The feeling that grew bigger as I saw the pained expression on your father’s face, who was calming down your crying mother as they arrived at the bloody scene. 

 

The guilt that stayed within me, regardless of how many times I bowed down and apologized to your parents. 

 

The feeling that I still get every time I visit your parents, up until now.

 

It made me think of the accident. The exact memory inside my mind that relived again and again, as if it was a video with a replay button. 

 

The conversation that we were having.

 

The speed of the car before we hit the railing.

 

The loud thud as the airbag popped.

 

The few seconds when we floated.

 

The moment our car descended the rocky cliff. 

 

The memory that I wished to forget, the memory that scarred me for life.

 

Blue became this ambiguous connection between the two of us.

 

It was the colour of the car that I drove that day. The automatic sedan that I brought for the sake of showing-off, unfortunately, became the car that brought an end to your life. 

 

It became the epitome of regret. 

 

The feelings that raised questions inside my head.

 

What if I had never driven the car? Maybe you would feel disappointed that I couldn’t bring you to the observatory as promised, but you would still be by my side. 

 

What if I had never asked you out? Maybe my high school memories wouldn’t be full of happiness, but you would still be alive and well.

 

What if I had never fallen in love with you? Maybe this wouldn’t happen and both of us would never have to suffer the way we are now. 

 

The same set of questions that I still ask myself from time to time.

 

And the same set of answers that I still come up with.

 

It brought self-blame into my brain. The feeling that reminded me about the stupid idea to bring you to the mountaintop, about my foolish bravery to drive, despite the lack of my driving skill. 

 

The feeling that led to another voice inside my head.

 

“Why did you do that, Kevin? What were you thinking? Oh, you are such an idiot.”

 

“Now, look at you, a murderer. Begging for mercy, unable to forgive yourself.”

 

White became a new ability that I never wished to get.

 

It was the colour of the creatures floating around at the cemetery when I attended your funeral. Those that couldn’t be seen by naked eyes, those that were invisible to others.

 

It became the colour of the new you. The one who hid behind the tombstone as you watched over the burial of your lifeless body. 

 

Yes, you, the one who became a spiritual being, who didn’t know the burden of being the one left alive. 

 

Yes, you, the one who stayed behind in this world with a wish to talk to me once again.

 

Yes, you, the one that I still can see up to this day.

 

It forced me to think about what I should do.

 

If I become white too, what would you think of me?

 

Because if I do, I would be brave enough to see you.

 

Because if I do, we would be together again. This time, for eternity.

 

Because if I do, it would be easier to forgive myself for what I have done.

 

Yet it all changed after I met the green-eyed girl.

 

Red became the colour of her favourite dress. 

 

It was the one that she wore as she pulled my hands, saving me, pulling me out of the river after I jumped from a bridge.

 

The me who couldn’t stand to continue living in suffering any longer. 

 

The me who tried to run away from the life that you couldn’t have.

 

The me who tried to throw my life away, the life that robbed your future.

 

Blue became a turning point in my life.

 

It was the colour of the sky when I realized that she made me happy. 

 

The feeling that I got as this green-eyed girl put aside the rumours she heard about me.

 

The feeling that I haven’t had since the day you died.

 

The feeling that led me to think, “Let’s end this suffering, once and all.”

 

White marked the beginning of my new life. 

 

It was the colour of my shirt when I visited your parents. The time when I let out the truth about my ability. 

 

The same time when I asked their permission to move on, to be happy with the green-eyed girl.

 

It was the colour of the envelope given by your parents. Delivering the letter to you was the only thing that they wanted me to do as a way to atone my sin.

 

"Because moving on doesn't mean you forget; it means you accept what happened and continue living."

 

That's what your parents told me as they sent me off to the cemetery.

 

---

 

So, here I am.

 

Bringing a bouquet of red roses, white envelope, and golden-coloured wedding invitation in my hand, I walk between the tombstones, heading over to meet you.

 

And as I see your ghost, I gulp nervously.

 

“How are you?”

July 22, 2020 09:20

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

247 comments

Felicity Edwards
17:39 Jul 23, 2020

Hi Deborah You asked me to read and I have. A sad story, the element of survivor guilt there. A few things need looking at, the comment below mentioned one there are a few others like Red became strong it really needs Red became a strong... The emotional quality was there all through. A strong story well done.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:51 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for the feedback on the grammar, Felicity!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
17:28 Jul 23, 2020

Hello! I really liked this story! It was haunting, with a little bit of sadness in there. I like the pace. Overall, great job!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:51 Jul 23, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed the story, Avery! Thank you for reading it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
𝔸. Triangle
17:07 Jul 23, 2020

That story had a great ending! I enjoyed the love story, but also the subtle hints of gore you snuck in there. Great job, A.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:52 Jul 23, 2020

Great ending once in a while! (and thank you for noticing the subtle gore hahaha!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Erick Morin
16:45 Jul 23, 2020

Hello there, I enjoyed (even though it was haunting and sad) reading your story. I like the way you use imagery and metaphors, a poetic feel. I read through some comments and most people have already mentioned some of the tweaks you can make to refine the story, which I agree with. I liked the way it flowed. Great story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:53 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading it; will re-read the story once again and tweak the grammar before the submission deadline!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mrudula Mohan
16:04 Jul 23, 2020

You are great in narrating. A love after a love failure and especially when you had seen your love die before you and believing it's because of you, its never easy. I pictured myself there for a moment and felt may be I would be angry at the green eyed girl for saving me. But the way you have written it, it's definitely giving hope. Great work.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:54 Jul 23, 2020

Whoops, you might've found out the story that I'm going to write next... Thank you for reading and enjoying it!

Reply

Mrudula Mohan
07:13 Jul 24, 2020

All the best, I will be waiting for the next part.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Leya Newi
15:07 Jul 23, 2020

Hey Deborah! I'm here like you asked, and this was a very haunting story. The repetitive mentions of colors, which made your story coherent and gave it something a little more. I also really loved the ending. Well done!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:54 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading! Glad that you enjoyed the story, Leya! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Estelle Westley
13:53 Jul 23, 2020

Loved the story. Felt the emotion and enjoyed the colour connection. You are talented.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:56 Jul 23, 2020

Glad that you liked the story, Estelle! Thank you for reading :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:31 Jul 23, 2020

Hey, honey. Excellent story. I loved the flow of it, the tone. Well written and a great concept. There were a couple words words left out in a sentence or two that would make for smoother reading. Otherwise, I love it!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:56 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Catherine! Really appreciate it!

Reply

01:49 Jul 24, 2020

No problem at all! I enjoyed the read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Gracie Jean
13:12 Jul 23, 2020

This was a wonderful story! You are a super-talented writer, and I can’t wait to read more of your stories. When I finished reading, I just wished that there was more! I loved this and maybe you’ll get the chance to write part two?

Reply

Deborah Angevin
21:57 Jul 23, 2020

I'm planning to write the continuation of the story (when I see the prompt that fits, though!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Quill Porter
11:49 Jul 23, 2020

As you requested, I read your story. It was beautiful and well-thought. The emotions in the story are full of feeling and the stages of moving on were so flowing that it made tear up. Great job and keep up the good work!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
12:09 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying the story! Really appreciate it :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Mercer
06:32 Jul 23, 2020

I think this was a marvellous story. As someone who knows what it's like to be torn by guilt, it hit the spot. The redemption and then the final twist leave me quite emotionally drained, but in a good way.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:45 Jul 23, 2020

Glad that I can convey the emotion! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
James Offenha
02:56 Jul 23, 2020

Good story. Seemed more poetic then story line though. Wished it had more exposition. What was life like before the crash? Show more of the character before the crux.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:46 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading it, James! I'm writing this, thinking that the background before the crash will be for another story (when the prompt fits!)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
01:51 Jul 23, 2020

This hit hard with emotion. Such a powerful story written in so few words, the link to the colours really added to the experience. I loved the pacing, the only critique is some of the repetition dulled the impact. I am a bit of a hypocrite for pointing it out as I am guilty for it as well, but I find it means more when it's saved for the highest point in the story.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:47 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Lynn! Will keep that in mind when I structure out the next submission:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:51 Jul 23, 2020

One thought: What if I never drove the car? ===> This and following sentences would sound better in the perfect tense: 'What if I had never driven the car?' Try it. I love the way the lines are short and create a rope that pulls the reader along. I like the guilt, the progression of colors. I love the parents' reaction. Still, and I understand it is normal to see a ghost, but what if you left out that sentence (next to last) and said: ... I walk between the tombstones. You are there. I gulp nervously: "How are you?"

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:48 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for the feedback. Will change it as per your suggestion!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Blane Britt
00:39 Jul 23, 2020

The comments you've received speak volumes as to how well your story has been received. Good Job.

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:49 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Blane! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vicky S
00:26 Jul 23, 2020

Hi Deborah, I really enjoyed your story especially how you tied it all together

Reply

Deborah Angevin
10:49 Jul 23, 2020

Thank you for enjoying it, Vicky! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rosa Rainbowz
23:23 Jul 22, 2020

I love how you used colors in your story!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
23:27 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading it, Rosa! :D

Reply

Rosa Rainbowz
00:46 Jul 23, 2020

Your welcome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Elle Clark
21:00 Jul 22, 2020

Hi Deborah- here to give feedback as promised! This is such a good pairing with your last piece and fits the prompt (haunted!) perfectly. I love the motif of red, blue and white throughout and it ties it together nicely. You’ve got a few tense errors (pop etc) that you might want to edit before the submission deadline. Lovely writing!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:17 Jul 22, 2020

Hi Laura, thank you for enjoying it! I'll proofread this once again for the tenses and correct it as much as I could! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Raquel Rodriguez
20:16 Jul 22, 2020

Hey Deborah! You asked me to check out this story, and I think it's really good! The title is great, and you made it special in your story! Hope to see more wonderful stories from you!

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:20 Jul 22, 2020

Thank you for reading and enjoying it! :D

Reply

Raquel Rodriguez
00:08 Jul 23, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Anja Z
19:18 Jul 22, 2020

You asked me to read so here I am this is a Beautifull and heartfelt story I loved this ... well done :)

Reply

Deborah Angevin
22:20 Jul 22, 2020

Glad that you enjoyed it, Anja :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.