124 comments

Funny

As his drinking buddy Agarwal had recommended (in an effort to stop a drunk Rastogi from jumping off the ledge), Rastogi tried to find the bright side of getting fired.


For one, he wouldn’t have to see his intellectually inept colleagues anymore. Anybody above him was a rich man buying his way upwards; anybody working with him was just someone to bear with until he fought his way to success.


He was sure, for example, that if he had met Joshi in the pub rather than the office, they would have hit it off immediately. But they both had work to do and stomachs to feed (their own, not those of their families; indeed, it was to escape their clingy relatives that they worked as peons in this obscure town). They had competed for the employees’ attention, and Joshi usually won out (probably because he could switch on the A.C., but Rastogi could never master the knack of pressing the correct button). But there were too many complaints against them both.


Rastogi had once tried to get a fan installed in the janitor’s closet by bribing the electrician (who had done it, then tattled on him to earn a raise- it was a selfish world). There was the issue of the office china getting stolen, too. (What could he have done? The cups were just sitting there- it was as if they wanted to be stolen.) Then there was the matter of Rastogi leaving half-eaten snacks in the conference room (he swore that it was Joshi’s deed, and Joshi swore that it was his).

In the end, they were both fired. He kicked the air conditioner spitefully on his way out, then packed his belongings and ran before the boss could charge him for the repairing cost. 



Now, Rastogi was headed back to his hometown, but he didn’t have the money to travel. He could have hitchhiked his way by threatening some poor family on a long drive (it turned out that the kind of suitcase he carried was also used by terrorists for suicide bombing), but he found that immoral. He decided to travel by the government's public transport for free, to avenge his great-grandfather, whose property Rastogi could have inherited, but didn’t because of policy reforms (and because his great-grandfather hadn’t included him in his will- but he didn’t know that).

He decided to catch the train which had the longest commute time, because he didn’t want to face his family yet. His uncle had caught a respiratory disease from the mining he did till the age of seventy, and Rastogi was supposed to arrange for the operation money. Rastogi thought it wiser (and cheaper) to avoid him till he passed away or got magically cured.


His plan was to steal the ticket from one of his fellow passengers. Men always kept the ticket in their wallets, right beside spare change. Women kept theirs ‘safely’ in the innermost pocket of their purses, next to their precious jewelry (If you didn’t want to wear it, why carry it around?) It was the most obvious place to hide valuables. If he was lucky, he might even get the change to buy some spiced peanuts, whose smell beckoned to him even after the vendor passed into the next compartment.


He powered off his phone because the landlord was calling him continuously; he had run away without paying the rent, but the servant’s quarters of a haunted flat weren’t exactly what their agreement had entailed. He considered not suing the landlord an innate kindness on his part. He had never disclosed the location of his hometown to the landlord, so he couldn’t trace him once he got there.



Another bright side of getting fired was that he was free to follow worthwhile pursuits.

Ever since he saw an amazing movie at the age of twenty-five, Rastogi had wanted to be a movie director.

He blamed the director of that perfect movie. It was such a brilliant idea: paint drying on a wall, while a boy sang in a frog-like voice. For Rastogi, it symbolized the monotony of life and expressed how he felt while working in the moneylender’s farms, humming a song that no one ever heard.

His family members had left the hall in the first two minutes, mumbling about a waste of money and preferring to clean the toilets than watch this nonsense; Rastogi watched it all, though. He no longer felt like a useless watermelon seed, which could have grown to form something remarkably productive, but was about to become an undigested part of an avian excretory tract. He felt that he had another purpose in life than transporting manure from the sheds to the fields (Why couldn’t the cows just do their business in the fields like their owner did?). His purpose in the universe was to revolutionize masses, to make them realize that their lives were pointless if they didn’t start living for themselves (He didn’t consider the economic, social and financial problems his message might cause).





He eyed the greasy, middle-aged man next to him distastefully. Had he stopped oiling his hair, the oil industry would have collapsed overnight. Taking his ticket would be a piece of cake: he was too busy looking at his blurred reflection in the window. Or perhaps he was staring blankly, contemplating his purpose in the universe. Rastogi quietly shifted closer to him and extracted his wallet carefully. He smirked when the ticket-collector entered the compartment.

When the ticket-collector asked for his ticket, Rastogi obediently showed it. Then, leaning in conspiratorially, Rastogi whispered, “Sir, I think this man beside me doesn’t have a ticket.”

“No ticket,” the ticket-collector repeated.



It was only when the man was thrown out of the moving train screaming that Rastogi started feeling slightly guilty. But, he reasoned, the man had a little money- well, the amount left in his wallet, anyway. When Rastogi turned to the grimy window, where bored children had left mildly amusing graffiti, he could see the man struggling to keep up with the hurtling train, knocking on its windows desperately. Rastogi’s heart began to melt-

He scratched at the mosquito sucking his blood and turned his back to the window.



The trouble in stealing a ticket from a stranger was that Rastogi didn’t know which station he was getting off at. The ticket he had stolen would take him only halfway. Maybe it was time to utilize his robbery skills again. Reluctantly, he shifted to another compartment, one that the ticket collector hadn’t reached yet. He took a seat beside an old lady with her head wrapped in her shawl. She wouldn’t even notice her purse going missing.

 “Nice weather for a journey, isn’t it?” she commented, startling Rastogi. He blabbered something about the climate in his hometown, his hands slowly reaching for her purse. He fingered the leather lovingly, knowing it would take him home. Smiling triumphantly, he ordered tea from a passing vendor.

The old lady reached for her purse, but her hands caught thin air. “Where did my purse go?”

“Oh dear!” Rastogi cried, enjoying himself thoroughly. “Some passing crook must have stolen it.”

“Some passing crook,” the lady repeated. She grinned suddenly, and as her disguise flew off, Rastogi found himself staring into the delighted eyes of the ticket-collector.




Later, as Rastogi sat in jail while the ticket-collector and the bored inspector gossiped, he tried to think about the bright side of getting jailed.

At least he had some free time to think about ideas for his movie.


August 09, 2020 09:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

124 comments

. .
02:52 Aug 21, 2020

I really liked this!- Okay well in more depth~~~~ --------------------------------------------------------------------------- I loved the characters! (Rastogi) I couldn't find a single mistake (meaning you obviously did a great job at editing) I also just loved the storyline in general (Yes, I know very descriptive) ~Sarah

Reply

Pragya Rathore
02:55 Aug 21, 2020

Thanks a ton Sarah! That was, in fact, very descriptive. Thanks for reading! I'm glad you liked it :)

Reply

. .
02:57 Aug 21, 2020

hehe, no problem.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Shreya S
14:58 Aug 20, 2020

I love this story and the way you’ve written it! It was funny and the ending was just the right amount of absurd. Rastogi, as a character, was very fleshed out and the tale had a certain voice to it that was entertaining! Great work!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:01 Aug 20, 2020

Thanks a ton, Shreya! I really, really appreciate your comment because it made me feel so happy! Thank you so much :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
13:26 Aug 20, 2020

Great story and just so very relatable! You did a really good job at humanizing an awkwardly nefarious character. The fact that he was so miserably bad at criminal activity added conflict and that conflict became the strength of the story. Was he a bad guy or just a guy who continuously made bad choices? Very intriguing. Great ratio of detail, not overpowering, but enough to put the reader into the story. An absolutely perfect ending and I loved the dark humor!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
13:51 Aug 20, 2020

Thank you so much, Matthew! Thanks for taking out the time to comment. Your comment just made my day :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zainab Zahra
10:58 Aug 20, 2020

Best story. Thanks

Reply

Pragya Rathore
18:27 Aug 27, 2020

Thanks a lot, Zainab! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
17:31 Aug 19, 2020

I love this, Pragya! I love the voice you use - I can't describe it exactly, but it lightens up the deeds of Rastogi and keeps the reader engaged and smiling. It's funny, I feel like I should dislike Rastogi, but I don't, which is a credit to your character development. He sounds like someone who always lands on his feet. I also love how you ended the story. The twist of the undercover ticket collector and the repetition of looking on the bright side. It made me smile. Great story!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
17:41 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you so much, Kristin! I can't tell you how much that means to me. Thanks a ton for reading!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
15:43 Aug 19, 2020

Pragya,I think this is your second story I'm reading,have you read mine.Breaking in. You have a knack for stories.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Suleiman Ayuba
15:19 Aug 19, 2020

Rastogi is a handful, isn't he? He led me through the journey in the train and his life. I loved how the story ended too.

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:24 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks a lot, Suleiman! Are you new here?

Reply

Suleiman Ayuba
12:16 Aug 20, 2020

Yes, I am.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
15:04 Aug 19, 2020

Pragya,your english is very attractive.

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:06 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks Tariq!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Maya W.
14:54 Aug 19, 2020

Woah, this story was amazing! I loved the was it was written, and I loved Rastogi's character. Nice job!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:04 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks a lot, again, Maya! Your stories are pretty amazing too :)

Reply

Maya W.
15:21 Aug 19, 2020

Aww, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kingshuk Kundu
09:40 Aug 19, 2020

Honestly, I didn't expect the end to have such a hilarious twist 🤣🤣🤣 I could literally imagine the ticket-collector smiling when he caught him. It was a good read man. P.S.- Can you read my story "Better Late Than Never" and give me some feedback?

Reply

Pragya Rathore
11:44 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jesna Anna S.
09:31 Aug 19, 2020

Nice story! Keep writing! I appreciate if you can take some time to read my stories and offer your comments!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
11:45 Aug 19, 2020

Thanks! I'll check it out :)

Reply

Jesna Anna S.
12:27 Aug 19, 2020

Thank you Pragya!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
14:38 Aug 18, 2020

Funny. The bright side of being jailed was awesome. I loved your story. Can't wait for more of yours... Would you mind reading my new story "secrets don't remain buried?"

Reply

Pragya Rathore
14:47 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kathleen March
00:44 Aug 18, 2020

"a useless watermelon seed" - Love it! The old woman disguise didn't quite convince me, but was still funny. While I am very concerned about the first man running after the train, I have to say this impish man who is a real loser in life is a great character. He reminds me a bit of the characters in Spanish literature from the Golden Age - the pícaros or Tom Sawyer types with street smarts. Except Rastogi doesn't have enough of those yet... Great job.

Reply

Pragya Rathore
02:04 Aug 18, 2020

Thanks a lot, Kathleen! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:53 Aug 17, 2020

I honestly don't have much sympathy for Rastogi, but the last line was funny!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
19:04 Aug 17, 2020

No one does, he's a criminal :). Thanks a lot for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
P. Jean
18:02 Aug 17, 2020

Enterprising fellow this Rastogi! Once in the culture of the story I found it an enjoyable read. A like able scoundrel!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
19:03 Aug 17, 2020

Thanks a ton, P! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Emma Lin
15:00 Aug 16, 2020

Hey Pragya! I'm here! :D It was an enjoyable and funny story to read! I was surprised at the ending part and was kinda glad Rastogi was caught. lolol What a clever lady :) I only had an issue with the parentheses and thought they were overused and unnecessary in some parts of the story. Thanks for liking and commenting my stories :) Have a wonderful day! ~Emma

Reply

Pragya Rathore
15:58 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you so much, Emma! I'm glad you liked it :) Thanks for taking out the time to comment!

Reply

Emma Lin
18:10 Aug 16, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Vineet Bhave
17:42 Aug 15, 2020

Great story!! I think you rushed into the ending a little but that's fine. Keep it up!!

Reply

Pragya Rathore
18:45 Aug 15, 2020

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind for next time :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:32 Aug 14, 2020

I loved the dark humour, as well as the ending! Well-written one, Pragya! P.S: would you mind checking my recent story out, "Grey Clouds"? Thank you :D

Reply

Pragya Rathore
11:04 Aug 14, 2020

Thanks, Deborah! Not at all! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jubilee Forbess
13:24 Aug 13, 2020

💖💖💖last lines are goldddddd

Reply

Pragya Rathore
13:30 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sia S
11:39 Aug 13, 2020

Wow what an optimistic character! Is there a part 2 ? Cuz I would love one ! I also like the cheekiness of Rastogi and the ticket collector. Btw where do you get inspired? To write these lovely stories! -S

Reply

Pragya Rathore
12:07 Aug 13, 2020

Thank you so much! Your words just made my day! I honestly write about anything I think of :) As for Part 2, there probably won't be one, because this is my 2nd story in this genre. My first one was 'The Faint Of Heart'.

Reply

Sia S
12:14 Aug 13, 2020

:)

Reply

Pragya Rathore
12:15 Aug 13, 2020

Maybe your need for Part 2 can be satisfied by reading that :)

Reply

Sia S
12:16 Aug 13, 2020

Sure!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.