You did it

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story that takes place across ten days.... view prompt

67 comments

Friendship Sad

DAY 1


Dear Diary,

Today was horrible. My friends arenโ€™t really my friends anymore. Luna left me to go visit her friends that have things to share with her: little fancy cheesecakes, designer pens, and their bunnies. Bunnies. Luna will do anything for bunnies. After English, Kaylie completely ditched me, going off with her cousins to the mall to buy who knows what. Probably purses. Raven, being the most similar to me, decided to morph into a different person. She and I were all like, โ€œYes, we like darkness, grunge, black, all that good stuff.โ€ But now she goes off to school wearing the brightest yellow hoodie in my entire life. She's the human version of a highlighter. Letโ€™s hope tomorrow that all my friends come back to their senses, and come back from wherever they went to.



DAY 2


Dear Diary,

They did not come back to their senses. I spent the whole afternoon by myself in Science, having no idea what the 43rd element of the Periodic Table was. Raven normally helped me since she was the best at science, but while she was off wearing the most hideous orange sneakers to her swim practice, I was stu(dying) in the miserable classroom all by myself while listening to Billie Eilish or The Beatles or some other indie/rock music. Our school decided to give us 3 tests on one day, and that Science one had counted for 45% of our grade.


Probably meant that I flunked Science.



DAY 3


Dear Diary,

This is gonna be a long one.

So.

Today Raven finally came up to me and said, โ€œIf you donโ€™t step out of your comfort zone Layla, youโ€™re not gonna get anywhere.โ€ Then she walked off in her hot pink high heels. I can perfectly go to McDonaldโ€™s in my car and I donโ€™t even have to get out of the car, if thatโ€™s what she means.ย ย 

But I know itโ€™s not.

When I get home from school, my room isnโ€™t exactly cheerful. It has dark grey walls, with grunge posters up on the wall, and my bed is the best bit. Itโ€™s black, with tiny little stars on the blanket, and the pillows say The skyโ€™s the limit. I know, itโ€™s a bit cheesy, but still comforting in a weird way. Iโ€™m laying down on it right now, having a blast.

All by myself.

In my black room.

Maybe Ravenโ€™s right.



DAY 4


Dear Diary,

I listened to Raven. Kind of. I joined, wait for it...A CLUB! For all normal students, this is boring news, but for me, itโ€™s a miracle. Someone that listens to The Beatles while in a black room isnโ€™t exactly friendly, but I joined the D&D club. You get to roleplay, and best of all, see who's the winner and who's the loser. Iโ€™m normally the loser, but thatโ€™s because Iโ€™m a pure noob at the game. Itโ€™s like asking a tennis player to go and join the national hockey team. Well, that might be a tad dramatic, but still.

Iโ€™m listening to Raven.



DAY 5


Dear Diary,

So.

Luna talked to me a bit today since weโ€™re both in D&D. After the meeting was over, she said in the hallway, โ€œLayla, sorry for ignoring the past few days. Itโ€™s just...Makenzie had a new bunny and it was white and so cute and then Jade has these cheesecakes that were so good and--โ€

I stopped her from continued because one, I didnโ€™t want to get too jealous, and two, Luna can run on for a while without breathing.

โ€œItโ€™s okay. I need to study for Math, wanna come over?โ€ I asked her.

Luna nodded her head and ran up the stairs to get her stuff.

Luna just left my house, so thatโ€™s how Iโ€™m writing this. Luna can help me (I think) on getting back together with Kaylie and Raven.


At least someone has come back to their senses.



DAY 6


Dear Diary,

Just got back from a walk with Kaylie.

You might be asking,

How did you and Kaylie became friends again?

Quite an interesting story, actually.

I was getting my stuff from my locker to go to History when Kaylie strutted up to me with her designer bag.ย 

โ€œHi.โ€

I looked at her while she was slathering on lip gloss.

โ€œHi.โ€

What an elegant conversation.

โ€œSo, we went to the mall, and Jasmine saw these earrings and I thought you would like them soโ€ฆโ€

She handed me a blue box that said SWAROVSKI on the top.

I smiled and opened the box.

The earrings were black crystal swans cut with precision, with light bouncing off of the corners.

โ€œAAHHH I love these!โ€ I said.

She just smiled and walked away, flipping her hair more confidently.

Iโ€™m so tired, gotta go take a shower.



DAY 7


Dear Diary,

Now.

You might be expecting another nice story about how Raven comes along and gives me a gift and everything is fine, butโ€ฆ

Letโ€™s say it like this:

Raven is stubborn.

Kaylie, Luna and I were going over to her after school when she looked free because all she was doing was scrolling on her phone. We walked over to her, but before I could say anything, she looked up and ran away.

Like, who does that?

Anyways, Luna saw that upset a bit, so we got ice cream from Marble Slab Creamery.

Oh no, my chocolate ice cream fell on the page.

Shuffle shuffle

Okay, itโ€™s cleaned up.



DAY 8


Dear Diary,

We tried again with Raven.

Here comes another extravagant story.

Kaylie, Luna and I were in PE, doing dodgeball. I was dodging the balls while Kaylie and Luna were on the bench because they arenโ€™t the best at dodgeball. Surprisingly, Raven was the only one left other than me.

She threw a ball at me, and it skimmed by my ear, just missing me. Raven looked enraged, so she started throwing balls like a machine.

I dodged them all.

At one point, Raven got so mad that she just stormed out of the gym, and the teacher declared me the winner.

When I told Luna and Kaylie the story afterwards, Kaylie thought I made it too dramatic. I think itโ€™s perfectly accurate. Luna didnโ€™t say anything, but she talked to Raven before school ended and came back with a sad look on her face.

I asked her what Raven said, but all Luna said was, โ€œShe said...never mind. Itโ€™s not important.โ€

How is that not important?

Sometimes people say itโ€™s not important, but it really. is. important.ย ย 

Ugh, my momโ€™s calling me for dinner, see ya tomorrow!



DAY 9


Dear Diary,

Raven is the most stubborn person in the world.

I got her to talk to me at least.

In the bathroom (I know), she said, โ€œLayla...Iโ€™ll tell you why Iโ€™ve been ignoring you. Iโ€™ve kept you waiting for too long.โ€

I was surprised, but I said, โ€œOk.โ€

Great comeback Layla.

โ€œSo... Iโ€™ve been ignoring pretty much everyone because I got news that I have to get my hand amputated.โ€

Second time being surprised that day.

I always knew that Raven had a special condition, but Luna, Kaylie and I never let that separate us.ย 

โ€œI wonโ€™t be able to play basketball, hockey, Iโ€™m gonna have to learn to write with my left hand...,โ€ she said, her eyes threatening to let tears fall.

I draped my arms over her and asked, โ€œWhen is it?โ€

She pointed at her phone calendar.

Tomorrow.

Why didnโ€™t she tell me sooner?

Why did she keep it from me?

Why--

โ€œYouโ€™re getting worried. You have that look on your face,โ€ she said, shutting her phone off.

โ€œWill you come to school tomorrow?โ€ I asked, worried.

โ€œNo, I have to rest, but you can visit me after youโ€™re done school,โ€ Raven said.

I just nodded.

Raven suddenly jumped up and said, โ€œOh, my momโ€™s coming soon, gotta go!โ€

She raced out of the bathroom, leaving me alone.

I stared at the tiles of the floor, thinking.

Now Iโ€™m clogging my tears with my blanket.

Iโ€™ll see Raven tomorrow.



DAY 10


Dear Diary,

I just canโ€™t.ย 

I just came back from Ravenโ€™s house.

Lemme just tell you what happened.

Ravenโ€™s mom said that I could come into her room, so I did.

Raven looked the same: black hair, grunge clothing, bright smile.

But this time that smile was tinged with a bit of sadness.

When she brought her hand up to wave to me, she waved a little stub.

I ran over, greeting her, asking how it was.

โ€œIt didnโ€™t really hurt when they were doing it, because I was frozen, but right now it hurts a lot,โ€ she said, still smiling.

I canโ€™t believe she can still smile.

Little rivers started flowing down my face, and Raven pulled me in and said, โ€œAw, donโ€™t cry Layla.โ€

โ€œYou did it, Raven,โ€ I choked out, burying my face in her arms.

โ€œYou did it.โ€

December 28, 2020 20:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

67 comments

maybe some title suggestions and... yeah hope you like it!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Wow Amethyst! I honestly loved this story! Also, I already love the title. It ends like that, and I think it should stay that way! Really enjoyed the diary format! :)

Reply

Thank youuuuu! I'll keep the title until someone says otherwise yas, I saw a lot of stories in diary format, so I wanted to try it out. it was honestly really fun though :D

Reply

yes! i actually came up with Ravens thing on the spot, because I don't really plan things very well for stories...XD

Reply

Wow! Actually the best way to write short-stories is by going with the flow, not planning them, or else it will hurt your head.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:48 Dec 30, 2020

wait- SHE AMPUTATED HER ARMMMMMMMMM??? This is an amazing story about friendship, and is it weird that I'm like Layla? It's funny how if you spelled Layla like Laila that would have matched my favourite character in TGW. Great job :D

Reply

YES I KNOWW it is a bit weird yeah thank uuuuu

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ruby ๐Ÿ’ซ
16:46 Dec 29, 2020

Wow girl, what a great story. I liked how you did it like a diaryโค Nice job! -Ruby๐Ÿ’–

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I loved this story! It gave me mean girl mixed with dork diaries and I don't know why but I really enjoyed reading it.

Reply

hahaha haven't seen mean girls but I get where you're going with the dork diaries thx! wrote this in a day cause I was bored XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kate Winchester
03:47 Jan 04, 2021

Cute story! I liked the diary format. It works well with this prompt. Here are my two cents if you want them lol: I think itโ€™s cool that Layla joins the D&D club, but there arenโ€™t really winners or losers in the game. Also, while it was definitely a plot twist, I would have liked to know more about Ravenโ€™s condition. It seems awfully sudden for one to need an amputation without being sick/in the hospital first. Overall though I enjoyed reading it. I really liked the stu(dying) line. I also liked how relatable Layla was and how she reconnect...

Reply

thank you! oof I forgot about that D&D doesn't have winners yes I have to plan my stories out better so no weird plot twists happen like that thanks! ๐Ÿ˜‹ ~ Amethyst

Reply

Kate Winchester
17:01 Jan 04, 2021

Lol it was a bit weird but it was at least plausible and your story was still good.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

"I was stu(dying)" was my favorite part! Just a tip: Maybe raven's condition can come up sooner? if it's so bad she needs an amputation, then her friends would know, right? Great work!

Reply

yasss yeah, I should've done that but since it was last minute plot twist, I didn't think of that ๐Ÿค” thanks for the critique!

Reply

Okay! Yeah! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Woaaaah this story was AMAZING! The ended was very emotional, and you portrayed the characters' emotions clearly, even in a diary format. 10/10! :D

Reply

thank you! I tried to make the emotions as if I were the one writing in the diary (technically i was but..) :D - Amethyst

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:32 Jan 20, 2021

This is a great story! The characters seemed very real to me. ๐Ÿฉ I was shocked when Raven said her hand had to be amputated.

Reply

Thank you! They are veryveryveryvery loosely based off of my real friends :P yayyyy yeah I made an unexpected plot twist at the end because I wanted to sPiCe things up a bit :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

I think people keep thinking that diary stories got old forever ago, but I really love reading them! There's not much that can rival it in the sense of raw emotion. I loved the easy character development and comfort zones.

Reply

Thankss! Yes, I wanted it to sad, but in a happy way does that make sense? idk :D ~ Amethyst

Reply

I think nothing has to make sense. We just need to understand that.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
I Sammy
01:02 Jan 07, 2021

Touching! I liked the renewing of the friendship bonds, the camaraderie, and being there for one another. The diary format was spot on.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Akshaya โœจ
09:17 Dec 31, 2020

Hello Amethyst! Wow, I loved this story, especially the diary format! It helps us understand Layla's thoughts really well. It was a great story about friendship, and I enjoyed reading it so much! I was interested until the very end, and the ending was so sweet! :)

Reply

Thank youuuuuuQ I wanted to try out the diary format, because I saw a lot of other people do it created the ending on the spot, so I'm glad you like it! :D - Amethyst

Reply

Akshaya โœจ
16:49 Dec 31, 2020

My pleasure! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
23:45 Jun 16, 2021

ooh look at this, 67 likes, 67 comments XD Raven is a very popular name apparently XDD noice job with this one, no critiques for this :) Sawoooooooper :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Izzie Q.
01:27 Feb 26, 2021

HI Amethyst! Omgg I loved this story! The formatting made it really easy to read and you are such an accomplished writer! this community is totally lucky to have you be a part of it :)

Reply

Izzie Q.
01:28 Feb 26, 2021

love your profile pic btw!! do you watch the simpsons? lmao bart is vibing in that pic haha how was your day?

Reply

Show 0 replies

hi Izzie!!!!! thank you SO MUCHHHHHH, diary's are all around easier to read because they're-well-DIARY ENTRIES XD aw thankssss :) you should also thanks saph, shes the one who told me about it :D

Reply

Izzie Q.
01:31 Feb 26, 2021

yeah, saph and I are good friends!! do you keep a diary? I've kept one since covid started cause maybe it would become famous or something idk XD

Reply

yes i know XD kinda, i don't write in it as much though :/ ahahahh yeah, MAYBE

Reply

Izzie Q.
01:33 Feb 26, 2021

so, how many people are part of this rlly cute gem club? how did it start :D

Reply

well sah started it XD theres me, saph, ruby (ma cousin and peridot (ma friend from ma old school)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.