45 comments

Mystery Science Fiction Thriller

“Voice memo- Timestamp- 21:43, December 31, 2021. Hole in my shoe. Hole in my shoe. Hole in my shoe. Damnit. Cold outside. Cold. My thoughts tend to flutter a bit nowadays. You get a little off your rocker when you have been completely alone for such a long period of time. You would think my introverted spirit would thrive during times like this, but then again I have always been just a little bit psycho, at least that's what my friends used to jokingly remark when life was normal. What a word, normal is. What a goddamn word. Honestly a bit deep if I allow myself to think a bit more than the random thought fragments currently spilling from my head. The year was 2020 of course. From the moment it started, life started going off the deep end to be completely honest.Things went from bad to worse. The Covid-19 outbreak was a social, economical, and political detriment to the entirety of the world. “Fuck 2020” they would say, as if the moment the clock struck midnight streamers would fly, people would cheer, and the ball would drop the last bits of the virus away as we entered 2021. Now, I could write stories and stories on Covid-19. But then, of course, I might be dead before I even finish my senten…”

“Just kidding. Still here. Which honestly, I’m not sure if it is a blessing or a curse. Should I thank God? Is he even there anymore? Am I even here anymore? Am I in Hell. God? Talking to myself again, sorry. Got to keep myself company somehow. Where was I? Oh, yes. Covid-20. Now I could go all science geek on you here, but I won’t. Basically watch any news broadcast from December 31, 2020 until now. It’s already winter again. What a stupid thought, now I can’t get my frozen feet off of my mind. Crazy. Hole in my shoe. Cold outside. Hole. Shit. Excuse my language my fellow audience members, but I believe we have some very rude company. Trying to interrupt my podcast, imagine that. Guess that’s 2021 for you. Fuck 2021.”

The sound of bottles falling from shelves fills the audio. Footsteps. Loud. Then more of them. Heavy breathing fills the speaker. Loud breathing, running. Coughs.

“Whew! Sorry about that. Seems like they got a bit faster. Evolving again maybe. God knows Covid-21 is headed our way! God that was a joke. Seriously. If I’m not in Hell, please don’t do that. This damn hole in my shoe made my foot bleed again. AND might I add, it is still freezing. Well I will update you on that store run. On this street, I would say there are maybe one or two stores that I might find some supplies remaining after the raids of the Summer. Oh my gosh. How rude of me. My name is Exodus Lynne Klieman, I am 17 years old, and I have not seen another human alive in 197 days. That was when my mom died. I watched them eat her. Funny story actually. She told me,

‘Stay here, I am going to check for some food around back, don’t let them take a bite out of you until I get back!’ Then she laughed. I miss when people made jokes about 2020 and 2021. When everything was just some big funny story. Oh yeah, then she screamed a gut wrenching noise that abruptly cut off into a low curtling moan of a voice that chills my blood each time I remember its sound. By the time I got there, her head was practically mauled into oblivion. The once alive man held her as his teeth tore deeper into her face. He was missing half an ear and was partially scalped, possibly due to a previous attempt to slay him. Mom’s blood dripped down his face. Then I ran. I still hear her in my head sometimes. But then again, I have been alone for so long, so I am probably either clinically insane, or like we established earlier, I might be in Hell. At this point I have learned anything is possible, don’t love anyone or anything, and things can always get worse. Wow that got depressing quickly.”

“Let us continue. December 31, 2020. Small groups gathered for New Years. Covid-19 had calmed slightly, and things were very slowly starting to come back to normal. Everyone’s television was turned onto the ball dropping. Millions counted down the seconds to 2021. Finally, we were free from 2020. Times Square was socially distanced and the camera paneled to couples kissing, children cheering, but it paused. A man came close to the camera before seizing. It was not a regular seizure. His face begins to bubble like boiling water. He shrieked as blood pooled from his eyes. His hands turned a sickly greenish yellow tint. He bore his fingernails into his eye sockets in an attempt to ease the agony. The people around stopped. The whole world watched. A silence followed. A police officer ran over to the man to offer assistance and call an ambulance. The officer offered a hand to help the man to sit down. That was when the world changed.”

“The now demon of a man grabbed the officer’s wrist and snapped it like a string of pasta, almost mocking him. He sunk his teeth into his neck, and then his face, his eyes, his skull. Suddenly people in the crowd began doing the same. Blood and death was everywhere, but we couldn’t turn away. The infected stood at once, they formed a crowd and started making their way down the street. The officer rose from the ground and joined them, now a demon himself.”

“The next few weeks were filled with panic, and we thought the spring quarantine was bad. Basically what happened, in my most expert of opinion, the Coronavirus mutated into something unimaginable. Covid-20. It turned people into zombies. Sounds like a silly child's story, but then again it’s 2021, anything is possible. These “zombies” if you can call them that, were soon given the very creative name of “Ronas,”and the disease spread like wildfire. Within a few months government officials became infected, there was total chaos, stores were raided again, nobody left home, that is unless the Ronas found them."

“It is New Years Eve again now. I hate to be negative, but the world is pretty much over. There is a very good chance I am the one of maybe a few dozen humans left on Earth. You might think, a few tiny islands might survive right? Wrong. Ronas can swim too. Again, Fuck 2021. Now we're about back to present time. Nowadays, I run from Ronas a lot. I find what food I can, and just survive. That’s all I can do really. I found this recorder from the target I just left. It was sitting just next to a bright blue colored eye on the ground, a pool of dried blood, and a finger. Lovely isn’t it. You get used to that sort of thing in 2021, it almost makes you feel like you found people.”

“It’s almost midnight now. The superstitious nerd inside of me believes that tonight at 12:00 everything will be normal again. Then we will have to worry about repopulating the Earth, and you know, finding another human to do it with, but we will get to that when the time comes. As I have been telling you this glorious story, I set up “camp” aka a beach towel and a balled up sweatshirt as a pillow, nearby times square, because I, of course, wouldn't want to miss if any action happened. The Ronas shouldn’t be over here tonight, they passed the target heading for the opposite side of town. Safety is never a for sure thing, but it is nice to think you might survive the night. I found my watch on the street when things started to get bad. Most electronics have either been lost, broken, or really aren’t usable anymore. The watch is a child's one, it has a picture of a turtle on it, the strap is faded, but it still shows a hint of the bright green coloring of the past. It is 11:02 pm now. Maybe 2022 life will be normal again. Hah. It is almost comical. Maybe at midnight the world will just end. Like I said, it can always get worse. I guess I will just have to wait for it to happen.”

“Hello? Is anyone there? Please. Someone please,” a male voice cried out. 

“What the hell was that. 2022 might just be pushing me further off the deep end and I’ll really be insane.”

The voice came again, ‘Please, I am alive, someone, anyone.’

"Okay guys, time to investigate.”

A boy, looking to be around 18 or 19 years old, brown hair, sat on his knees. Tears streamed down his face. His dark brown hair was messy and mostly covered his eyes, but somehow, even from far away you could tell they were blue. He lifted his head up and looked to the sky, revealing a little girl. She was small, probably 9 years old. She sat with her head in her hands, obviously malnourished and dehydrated. Exodus walked to him slowly and cautiously. He looked up and cried harder. 

“I’m Owen. My sister Maggie needs help. Please, she’s sick, she needs water, I have nothing please-” Exodus cuts him off,

“Okay, okay slow down.” She opened her backpack and handed him a canteen with a few ounces of water. Maggie turned away from her and drank the water and returned her head into her hands and threw the canteen to the ground.

“I'm so sorry” He started, “It has been so long since we have seen anyone, she's angry, I was hoping someone would come here, since it all started one year ago in this spot. Thank you, we don’t mean to be a bother, I just need some help. My sister, she is all that I have. Our dad died when everything first began. It’s just us. Please, anything you can do, I just need someone here.”

“Wow. I h-a-have a million questions,” Exodus stuttered out. They sat and talked for the remainder of the year. In only 45 minutes, they built a needed connection after being alone for so long. Maggie kept to herself and fell asleep with her head pressed against her knees. Owen lived not far from where Exodus grew up, and had been running too. He was out of resources, and Maggie was starting to deteriorate since he couldn’t find enough food for her. They laughed, they cried a little, and Exodus ended up falling asleep against his shoulder. She had never been carefree like this, but somehow he made her finally feel safe. At 11:58 Owen shook her awake.

“I am so sorry to wake you. I just don’t want you to miss the countdown.”Maggie started crying. “Shit, Ex, do you have anything in your bag, she's starving, it's been a really long time since we have found anything.”

“Of course,” Exodus reached into her bag and pulled out a package of beef jerky and some crackers. “This is all I have for now, tomorrow we can try and find more I’m sorry I don’t have all that mu-” He cuts her off and pulls her into a hug. He held her there for a few moments, each of them taking in the beauty of physical touch.

“Ex, it’s perfect. Thank you. Hey look, your watch. 15 seconds. Should we count down? Maybe this year will be different.”

“10, 9-” They chanted down, ”3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!” They yelled before he abruptly grabbed Exodus by the waist, pulling her in. They melted together urgently. It was one of those kisses like when you’re in middle school. So inexperienced and innocent, but exciting and nervous. The feeling of having your hands on someone for the first time. Their lips fit like puzzle pieces, finally finding their match. They pressed together soft, slow, his hand trailing down her waist and towards her legs. They stopped and pressed their foreheads together, sharing the same breath. She tried to stop the urge but simply couldn’t, she fell back into him and felt his hands on her body, she felt the muscles in his arm tighten with every passionate movement. Then Exodus screamed. She cried out,

“Make it stop, please-” Before her screams reached ear piercing levels. Maggie bit into Exodus’ leg making her fall to the ground. She dug her nails deep into Exodus’ skull. She pressed her fingers into her ears attempting to reach one finger to another. Her hands ripped apart Exodus’ face piece by piece. Owen screamed and pushed Maggie. He yelled. Maggie was still human.

“Maggie stop. Please stop. I’m here please. I know you’re in there. You are human. You are not like those other things. Please stop. Oh God please make her stop.” Maggie pauses. Even covered in blood, she was human. She sat and returned her head to her hands. Exodus’ cries turned into a whimper. He held her and sat away from Maggie. He whispered to her,

“Shh, it’s going to be okay,” tears came from his cheeks. “Shh, I have you. I have you.” 

He held her for what felt like hours. Exodus passed out from the pain in Owen’s arms and Maggie slept on the street where she sat. Owen awoke to Exodus crying again. He leaned down to kiss her forehead when he saw something peculiar. Her mouth, it was quivering, but not only that, it smiled. Exodus’ lifted up her arms and grabbed Owen from the neck. Maggie bolted awake and joined her. His face was scratched and his neck had a gaping hole when they finally stopped. A few moments later, Owen, Exodus, and Maggie stood up. They walked down the street in unison. Suddenly, walking behind them were thousands of footsteps. They paused and turned around. The mob of once Ronas, joined them. They were all “human” and seemed normal. Then chatter filled the streets. Not normal conversation. Conversation of killing, death, stories of murder. They all smiled. Owen reached down and grabbed Exodus’ hand and squeezed. She reached into her pocket.

“Voice Memo #2, January 1, timestamp: 8:09 am. Welcome to 2022. Today's plan will end the human race. Let’s call this one, Corona-21”.


September 23, 2020 02:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

45 comments

P. Jean
16:43 Sep 26, 2020

Good descriptions and the story had a good flow or tempo. I will need to reread the ending as it left me confused but I am not a fan of sci-fi aliens or zombies.

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:50 Sep 26, 2020

I have never written sci fi before, and I am definitely new to short stories. I can explain the ending. After midnight Maggie, Owens sister, basically transforms into a new form of Corona, this time where they look and behave like humans. She first attacks Exodus, then Owen gets her to stop, and a few hours later Exodus wakes up, although looking human, as a "zombie". She does the same to Owen as Maggie did to her. Then, they stand up, and a giant mob of the former "Ronas" have all turned to look human. Their new goal is to basically find ev...

Reply

P. Jean
16:59 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks that is what I got out of it too....too bad about 2021 and beyond.

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:59 Sep 26, 2020

Lets hope this stays fiction, and we wont have any zombies running around next year

Reply

P. Jean
17:14 Sep 26, 2020

True. I hope you have time to read my last story. It, to me, is about freedom for troubled woman....I wish for freedom too. Keep writing...your life ahead will be full of great ideas you can express with your talent!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
17:20 Sep 26, 2020

Thanks! I will read it now

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
16:13 Sep 26, 2020

Wow, I love this! The casual tone at the beginning was awesome, it made her feel like just another vlogger walking down the street. And that ending! The fact that they retain their humanity after turning is honestly so creepy but makes everythint come full circle. Awesome job! 😙

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:40 Sep 26, 2020

This made me so happy! This was definitely a prompt outside of my comfort zone, and I have never tried creative writing like this before. I am so glad you liked my story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tvisha Yerra
18:28 Sep 26, 2020

That was... just wow. I don't know what that was but I sure did enjoy it. :)

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
18:35 Sep 26, 2020

Haha thank you. Definitely something I’m not used to writing

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cal Carson
18:24 Sep 26, 2020

Wow, great story, Mandy! The ending was really creepy, too. It gave me the chills, especially when they all smiled at the talk of murder and such. Woah. I think you have a lot of talent in this field!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
18:36 Sep 26, 2020

Thank you so much! I’ve never written something like this before. Do you have any tips or advice moving forward?

Reply

Cal Carson
20:12 Sep 26, 2020

Well, I'm no professional, but I can try to give you some advice! For starters, the transition between the voice recording could afford to be smoothed over. I found it a bit confusing. Maybe a sentence like, "She clicked her recorder off and leaned down to help," would make the transition between styles a bit smoother. But I did think that the idea of the voice recording made it unique and feel more real. Okay, now for just some general tips. Sometimes you have long paragraphs (kind of like the first one in this story) that could be...

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
20:25 Sep 26, 2020

Yes I totally agree with those critiques. Thank you so much!

Reply

Cal Carson
23:10 Sep 26, 2020

Any time!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kendall Defoe
17:35 Sep 26, 2020

Yikes! I want more...

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
17:39 Sep 26, 2020

Should I start a part 2?!

Reply

Kendall Defoe
18:03 Sep 26, 2020

I'm already playing it in my head!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
18:37 Sep 26, 2020

Awesome!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
16:29 Sep 26, 2020

I really liked this story and i think you did a great job with doing it ^^ ya know what im gonna give you? 10/10 :)

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:41 Sep 26, 2020

Wow! 10/10? I am so happy you liked it!

Reply

B. W.
16:46 Sep 26, 2020

No problem ^^ could ya maybe check out "Reunion? No thanks" and leave some feedback?

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:50 Sep 26, 2020

Absolutely

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
15:54 Sep 26, 2020

Hey, Mandy! I love this story! Great job with the awesome descriptions! Keep up the great writing!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
16:39 Sep 26, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

16:43 Sep 26, 2020

You're welcome! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Jennica Ley
19:54 Apr 22, 2021

AHH! That's really good! You've got a lot of great ideas here; keep writing! My favorite part is the last line "'Voice Memo #2, January 1, timestamp: 8:09 am. Welcome to 2022. Today's plan will end the human race. Let’s call this one, Corona-21.'”

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:39 Jan 06, 2021

That was..... amazing wow, I love it! You should totally write a part two!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
17:46 Oct 06, 2020

Wonderful flow of the story. Loved reading this! Keep writing. Would you mind reading my new story? Thanks.

Reply

Show 0 replies
04:39 Oct 02, 2020

Very well written👍🏽👍🏽. Nice style..

Reply

Show 0 replies
21:33 Sep 30, 2020

Barely understood the story (Cause I don't understand Sci-fi) but I loved it. The descriptions were perfect, and the ending was quite a twist! You're very talented, keep up the great work! Edit: re-read it, still love the story!!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
22:04 Sep 30, 2020

Haha, yes it can be a little bit confusing at times I can admit! Thank you so much for your comment.

Reply

22:13 Sep 30, 2020

Yw! Are you ever going to write a Part 2?

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
22:16 Sep 30, 2020

Maybe one day! Sci Fi isnt really my genre, I have never written it before this actually, would you be interested in reading a second part?

Reply

03:18 Oct 01, 2020

It really depends on what kind of story you intended to write. If you were going for a story with plot twists and a cliffhanger filled with suspense at the end, then a Part 2 wouldn't be needed. But it really depends on what story you intend to write! If there was a Part 2, if would DEFINITELY read it.

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
04:20 Oct 02, 2020

Great to know! I just uploaded a story I am very proud of. I hope if you have a chance you would read it.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:39 Sep 30, 2020

I loved the main character's personality and the darkly sardonic tone. Good job!

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
22:04 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:52 Sep 30, 2020

I hope this doesn't come true! Great story. I love the use of the recorder for her to tell her story.

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
22:05 Sep 30, 2020

I hope not too! Thanks for the feedback!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jessie Nice
08:44 Sep 30, 2020

Oh goodness, I kind of didn't want to read this because it was frighteningly too close to home but I couldn't stop! A haunting yet amusing read :)

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
14:45 Sep 30, 2020

I am glad you liked it! I have read some of your stories, do you have any tips for me moving forward? Hoping to improve as much as possible!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
21:48 Sep 26, 2020

The start felt like an attempt at stream of consciousness humor. Dark humor, but recognizable. Very readable, despite the initial paragraphs being disjointed rambling by someone who was slowly losing their mind. The brother trying to keep his zombie sister 'alive' was humorous and tragic at the same time. The ending was definitely superior. It started by sounding "everything turns great" then ends with the supervillain making his plans to end humanity in 2022...

Reply

Mandy Kehoe
01:38 Sep 27, 2020

Yes! That was exactly what I was hoping would come across. I am so happy you enjoyed it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.