194 comments

Drama Historical Fiction Creative Nonfiction

Annabella

A small Victorian cottage sat on the shores of New Hampshire, the last one in the row, with nearly endless views of the ocean and it’s shores. Two brothers approached the house with an unending discussion about the conversation they needed to have with their father. 

“You know I can’t stand talking to him.” said Andrew. 

“Yes, but he’s Father, and you know how he is,” said Michael.

“Well, you’ve known him longer than I have, why don’t you tell him?” said Andrew. 

The two men stopped at the top of the steps to the porch as Michael looked back at his brother.

“I’m 2 years older than you. It’s not like Dad and I go way back,” he replied. This didn’t stop Andrew from trying to argue his point. 

“He’s always liked you more.” he griped.

“Hardly. You’re the youngest. You were always spoiled.” answered Michael

As Michael turned his back, Andrew grimaced. “Just knock on the door,” said Andrew.

Three firm knocks were all their father would allow. You were to stand patiently and wait. If no one answered in two minutes, you were to knock three more times and repeat the process. In most cases, the door was answered on the first try. Andrew’s desire was to wait the least amount of time possible and leave. 

“Oh dear, he’s not home. Let’s go,” said Andrew

“Wait. It’s not even been the correct amount of time.” protested Michael

Rolling his eyes, Andrew stood by counting the seconds in his mind until the second knock was required. Secretly he was planning his escape if the door did not open after that. To his disappointment, the door opened, and a healthy silver-haired man stood before them in a white dress shirt and charcoal grey slacks. 

“Good evening gentlemen.” said the man

“Good evening, Jeffrey, how are you?” said Michael

“Copasetic, Sir, and yourself?” The man’s voice was deep and smooth, but to Andrew so boring he nearly fell asleep upon introductions.

“Excellent! Thank you!” Michael replied cheerfully.

“What’s up, Jeff!” said Andrew

Jeffrey looked unblinkingly at Andrew and without a smile of greetings said. “Sir.” 

Andrew knew this annoyed Jeffery, but he did it anyway. Andrew believed he lived in the 21st century, not the late 19th as his father did. 

“Michael Senior is in the study,” Jeffrey assured the two men. 

“Magnificent, Jeff, do be so kind as to take my cloak and hat while I sashay to the lavatory,” smirked Andrew.

“Not so fast brother.” retorted Michael, a hand reached out and pulled Andrew closer. 

“Oh, alright. We might as well get it over with.”

The two men, with their dark hair combed to perfection, dressed in their finest suits, walked into the study. As they entered, their father looked up from his desk and took notice of the men’s clothing. Michael wore an Italian cut, navy blue single-breasted one-button lapel with matching slacks, a bright red tie, and a crisp white shirt. Andrew chose a more casual and less approved American cut, smoky grey standard notch jacket, no tie, and grey shirt, with black slacks. Disapproving his younger son’s appearance, he was nevertheless proud of their handsome features. Both had medium skin tone, perfect white teeth, and chiseled features. They had their mother’s brown eyes but their father’s handsome facial attributes. Michael had a square clean-shaven jawline with a dark beard only now giving a shadow in the evening hours, where Andrew’s face was more triangular, with at least half a week’s dark brown beard. His father was clearly annoyed by that as well. Michael’s hair was full and thick around all sides and just above the ears. Andrew kept his hair in a classic quaff, short on the sides and long on the top, and to his father’s disgust, a tattoo streaked up from his shoulder onto his neck. Michael Senior saw his sons at the summer picnic in Miami last year. Where Michael was strong and tan, Andrew was strong, tan, and covered in tattoos. Both sons were successful in their own right. Michael was engaged, and Andrew was still looking for a “Perfect Match” as he called it. 

“Good evening, Father,” said Michael

“Good evening, son” 

“Hey, Dad!” 

“Andrew.” 

Their father’s deep baritone voice seemed to contradict his outward appearance. His figure was lean and fit. His face was a diamond shape with a medium forehead and slightly receding hairline. Dark grey hair, streaked with the occasional silver hair, trimmed over the ears with a slight wave on top. Dark intense eyebrows hung over grey steely eyes and a salt and pepper beard trimmed to a point without a hair out of place. The entire family was genetically born to be male models. Their mother was the heir to a now unheard of Baron of Austria who fell into obscurity after the second world war. It was often said in her younger years she could have been an Audrey Hepburn look alike. She was the reason for Michael and Andrews’ visit. 

“Prey tell what brings you boys here this evening?” Michael Senior asked pretentiously. “I understood you were with your mother.”

“Well Father, that’s what we’re here to talk to you about,” answered Michael. “ Mother….” Michael gave a pause because he wasn’t sure how to say it. 

“Mom wants to get remarried,” blurted out Andrew.

Michael looked at his brother from the corner of his eyes. “Yes, that is correct.” said Michael

Michael Senior tried not to look shocked, but the momentary pause and fake smile revealed his true emotions. It was well rehearsed, and something his sons had seen him do a hundred times in their lives. Michael Senior stood up from behind his mahogany desk and walked towards the fireplace. Warm flames crackled beneath the mantle as their father stopped in front of a portrait of their mother on the wall above. The lights in the room seemed to dim as Michael Senior focused on Annabella. He felt his heart race as he thought back on the early days of their marriage. Acid began to burn in his stomach. He turned slowly and asked. “When?”

“Next March,” said Michael. 

Michael Senior hadn’t felt the same desperate loss in his heart since the day she left. As time went on, they kept in touch, and they were cordial about their meetings. Yet in his heart and mind he’d hoped somehow they’d come back together. Now, she was going to marry someone else. His sons watched him as he walked around the room as if lost. The rich colors of thick red and white carpet muffled his steps, and he walked from the fireplace to the wall lined with teak bookshelves. He strode slowly past a closet door and marble bust of Abraham Lincoln, past the french doors that lead to the study from the hallway. Ornamental columns holding cut glass framed the french doors as stained glass decorated the partition above. Back to the window and behind his desk. All this time Michael Senior didn’t say a single word. He sat down in his high back leather chair and steepled his fingers. Just as quickly he stood up and walked to the small drink bar in the corner and asked his sons if they’d like a drink. 

“I’m fine Father,” said Michael

“Yeah, dad I’d love some,” said Andrew. His brother Michael turned and gave him a sour look. 

Michael Senior turned and walked with two tumblers of Elija Craig, an inch of the amber liquid in the bottom of each glass, and handed one to Andrew. Andrew took a mouthful and gently swirled the oaky flavor around his mouth, then let it slide down the back of his throat. Michael Senior sipped slowly and returned to his thoughtful daze and walked to the desk. 

“Father, are you alright?” asked Michael.

He looked up quickly and gave a sad smile. “I didn’t expect she’d fall in love again.” He sipped his glass once again. Andrew shot forward to say something, but Michael put his arm across his chest and held him back. 

“It’s been nearly 8 years, Father,” said Michael. walking a few steps closer.

“You know WHY she left, don’t you!” Andrew belted out loudly. Both men looked at him in consternation. 

“Andrew, please! This is not the time,” said Michael.

“Well, big brother, when is the time!” he shouted. “Don’t you know the truth, or do I have to spell it out for you. She’s moved on after what he did!”  

Michael looked down at his hands and went to remove his coat. The room was warm, but the rapid emotions building in his body made him hot. “So you know?” said Michael.

“Well, of course I do. He cheated on Mother and she left him in shame!” 

Michael looked down once again, shame in his eyes. He knew, but he didn’t know Andrew knew the truth. 

“You both have it wrong,” said Michael Senior. “She did.”

September 25, 2020 21:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

194 comments

Patricia Adele
00:07 Oct 01, 2020

Robert you set the tone of your he story and describe your characters so well that I could see them. I was very surprised by the outcome and wanted to hear more! Great story

Reply

02:31 Oct 01, 2020

I appreciate you taking the time to read it. It’s been said it could be longer but sometimes short and sweet is enough. Thanks again! Robert

Reply

Patricia Adele
21:58 Oct 06, 2020

I see you read my new story. It's not very good. I knew where I wanted it to go but it never did make it Patricia

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Cynthia Prokarym
14:52 Sep 30, 2020

Loved this story! :-) I love your descriptions. Would you mind checking out one of my latest stories and hitting the like button if you enjoyed it, and maybe offer a comment on its quality? Thanks so much.

Reply

15:03 Sep 30, 2020

Absolutely! I'm slowly going through and reading a couple stories a day from those who've started following me. Do you have a favorite? Anything recent? I'll look at your list today. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Arvind Kashyap
05:33 Sep 30, 2020

Nice development of character and unexpected ending. Liked it. Keep writing. Best wishes

Reply

15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Bookmark Here
20:57 Sep 29, 2020

I enjoyed the character development and the reason why they didn't like their father. A great take on how truths are hidden within marriage and sometimes a parent will hide things for the sake of their children. Even if it put the parent in a bad light. Great story! I look forward to reading more of your work.

Reply

21:17 Sep 29, 2020

Thank you very much! If you have a few minutes please check out the story “Just Say it Already!” I hope you like it. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Renee Nadine
12:09 Sep 29, 2020

I think you did an excellent job being descriptive. I read the first few lines from your profile page and I immediately saw the brothers walking down together and talking in my mind, and had to click on the story and keep reading. Well done.

Reply

13:09 Sep 29, 2020

I appreciate it! Although I don’t have a brother I’ve had familiar conversations with the guys I served with over the years. Have a great day! Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Lizzie Brown
09:22 Sep 29, 2020

You described the story and characters very well. I liked the twist at the end.

Reply

13:07 Sep 29, 2020

Thank you, it’s one of my first stories to write. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:55 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
<inactive> .
05:17 Sep 29, 2020

OH SNAP THAT ENDING!! Wow, this is a really good story! I read in your bio that you want to publish a book. That's a really cool goal, and I recommend using Reedsy's inbuilt book-writing software! It's a bit iffy at first, but is actually an amazing tool. I hope you can share sneak peeks of the success story every once in a while :) Thank you for your service in keeping everyone safe <3

Reply

05:26 Sep 29, 2020

Any time, you bet, thank you, I’ll give it a try, and you’re welcome! Hahahaha! I’m looking forward to sharing with everyone when I finish my first book. Robert

Reply

<inactive> .
05:26 Sep 30, 2020

Haha, thanks! :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

<inactive> .
14:28 Oct 24, 2020

Ooooooh thanks for letting me know! I’ll check it out right away!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Sam W
23:12 Sep 28, 2020

I really liked the surprise ending, Robert. I loved how you emphasized the picture-perfection of the family only to reveal that it’s falling apart; and not from the expected end. Watch the order of your adjectives. It’s a tiny detail, but it seems off and distracts from the story.

Reply

01:46 Sep 29, 2020

Thank you Sam! I’ve considered rewriting some of these stories at a later time after I’ve had a few more years of practice. I hope to see a difference. I’m glad you liked the story and I hope you will follow along with others. If you are interested, check out “Just Say it Already.” I hope you like it too. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:00 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Tammy Pieterson
19:09 Sep 28, 2020

Oh snap! I love the ending:0 You painted such a vivid picture with the imagery and the brothers having such contrasting personalities. Very enjoyable read.

Reply

19:11 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you! Isn’t writing the best thing we can do? Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:59 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Mihret Adal Gidi
18:41 Sep 28, 2020

Great story.

Reply

19:12 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:56 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Mihret Adal Gidi
17:33 Feb 26, 2021

Great, will definitely check it out

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 4 replies
14:24 Sep 28, 2020

This is a great story. Not only are the descriptions beautiful, but they feel relevant to both the characters and the plot. Nicely done!

Reply

14:44 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you! I enjoy writing, it's something new every time. I can't wait for the next prompt. Robert

Reply

14:56 Sep 28, 2020

Me too, I'm so happy I found this site. I'm excited to see your next story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

16:53 Oct 23, 2020

okay, I'll go read it as soon as I can!

Reply

18:39 Oct 23, 2020

I've posted a new story of my own from the same set of prompts. If you have the time, I'd be really grateful if you checked out "Rebecca"!

Reply

01:52 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
PK Spice
13:40 Sep 28, 2020

Great descriptive writing.

Reply

14:22 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you, it was an exercise in using descriptive language to show more and tell less. I found that's not always as easy as it sounds. Thanks for the like and I appreciate the follow.

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:53 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Lee Jay
05:33 Sep 28, 2020

This is such a suspenseful story that reveals a deep truth: both about Michael senior and about the mother. Your descriptions are so rich: they lure the reader in. Keep them coming! Check out my stories if you like :)

Reply

13:30 Sep 28, 2020

I definitely will, I’ll be busy reading a lot of stories from now on. Looking forward to seeing your work! Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:56 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:49 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
Karin Venables
03:04 Sep 28, 2020

I really like this one. Everyone assumes a certain truth, but it takes an upsetting event to bring out the truth. Mom was the cheater, and she was clever enough to hide it for years. Great on the technical side, so kudos there. I love the descriptive passages. The three men are distinct, but also alike enough to be family. Good job!

Reply

03:30 Sep 28, 2020

Thank you, Karin! I'm glad you liked it. If you liked this story, I think you'll like another one I've submitted called "Just Say it Already." I'm interested to know what you think. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:57 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:47 Feb 26, 2021

Hello, I can’t thank you enough for following me and commenting on my stories. I’ve started a website. If you’re interested in keeping in contact, please visit me at robertgrandstaffhomepage.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 3 replies
P. Jean
01:47 Sep 28, 2020

I felt the richness in your descriptive passages. I would have been happy to read on for another hour. I also had to reread the first sentence three times before I could finish the story. I thought New Hampshire was landlocked but after a quick look, I see it has ocean frontage. Crazy the things you learn!

Reply

01:57 Sep 28, 2020

That's awesome! It was one of my shorter stories and I'm happy you liked it. Please check out my story "Just Say It Already" It's a little longer. I really tried to put the reader in the shoes of the main characters. Tell me what you think. Robert

Reply

P. Jean
02:04 Sep 28, 2020

Will do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
15:57 Oct 23, 2020

Hello, thank you for reading this story. I'm excited to say I've posted one for this week and I'm looking for some feedback. Your opinion really matters to me and I appreciate you taking the time. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Zatoichi Mifune
19:31 Jul 16, 2023

Great writing. Got to love historical fiction. Very clear and interesting. So, which was it? Was it the 21st century and the father living in the 19th, or was it the 19th and the children (or Andrew at least) were living in the 21st? One thing. Sorry, it seems unnecessary but: What does the last line, 'She did', mean exactly? You read the classics? Pretty wide field, which author(s) mainly, which book is your favourite? Noticed most or all of your replies are copied. (Not sure where I was going with that but that sentence is going to stay...

Reply

01:19 Feb 02, 2024

It is a 21st century story with a father stuck in the past. The boys suspected the father of being unfaithful to their mother. What the father told them in the end was that their mother was the unfaithful one. The father didn't cheat "She did." I've read through almost all the classics. Like anyone else I liked some and not others. Alexander Dumas, Daniel Defoe, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Daphne DU Maurier, F. Scott Fitzgerald, James Joyce, John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allen Poe, Robert Luis Stevenson, these are the au...

Reply

10:04 Feb 06, 2024

Thanks for the reply! I think I was quite stupid then... I should've got the 'She did.' 😅 Ooh, I like your list of authors. The only two I haven't read are James Joyce and Daniel Defoe - should I check them out? :)

Reply

10:05 Feb 06, 2024

Oh gosh, sorry, I forgot about the profile change. 😅 Just take it from me that Zatoichi is me, my old account :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Bonnie Clarkson
14:38 Apr 02, 2021

Once again well, written. Differences of the sons are very clear. But when the butler answered the door, I thought it was the father. They had just been talking about their father and I didn't catch the hint the man was a butler by the word "gentlemen". I know this is minor, but it needs some periods.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cole Lane
04:35 Mar 31, 2021

Whoa, wait a minute, who was at fault here??

Reply

02:06 Apr 01, 2021

The wife cheated. Robert

Reply

Cole Lane
03:26 Apr 01, 2021

There is always two sides, right? This story needs a continuation!

Reply

05:56 Apr 01, 2021

Perhaps but it served its purpose for this story. My reply’s get locked up too and I’ve had to delete as many as 8 repeats. It is what it is. Robert

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cole Lane
03:27 Apr 01, 2021

There is always two sides, right? This story needs a continuation!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cole Lane
03:27 Apr 01, 2021

There is always two sides, right? This story needs a continuation.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 8 replies
Show 1 reply
B. W.
10:39 Nov 07, 2020

Hm, i dont think youve checked out some of my recent stories but I could be wrong, if ya haven't could ya check out "Saving a friend" and then leave some feedback for it?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shae Greyfeather
19:42 Nov 03, 2020

WAAAAAT!!!! SHE CHEATED ON HIM!!!!!!!!!

Reply

20:30 Nov 03, 2020

I take it you liked the story? Robert

Reply

Shae Greyfeather
11:42 Nov 04, 2020

I definitely liked the story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.