92 comments

Drama Kids

Windy Davis was just your typical 6th grader.


She had wild, strawberry blond hair that fell to her waist; large, gray-blue eyes; and always wore jean shorts and tank tops. Windy Davis took karate, hated when people called her ‘Wendy’, and was bold—she was loud and spoke her mind.


She hadn’t done anything wrong, as far as she knew.


So it was no surprise when it was an, er, surprise to Windy when she woke up in a dimly lit room.


*****


Windy had been lying on a cot—the kind at a nurses office: blue-gray leather covered in a sheet of thin paper. The room she was in was small—maybe 5-by-5 feet, the same size as her walk-in closet at home that she had definitely not hid in to scare her sister.


The bad lighting made Windy squint around. “What the…”


She was confused. And kind of nervous. She had no memory of the past…minutes? Hours? Days? Her most recent memory was at lunch was her closest friend Melissa. It was the same day, right?


What was happening?


Windy had an awesome memory. She could remember the exact digits and letters on a license plate he family saw at the beginning of a 10-hour road trip at the end of the road trip. She remembered going to the park when she was 3, going to her karate studio when she was 4, and going to the park to show her enemy her karate then smirk at age 5.     


So not remembering just life in general was freaky. There was just a…gap in her memory lane. You know, that one that you sometimes take trips down? Well, Memory Lane was closed for construction because of the damage near the end. 


Windy spotted a door. She rushed up and pounded on it. “LET ME OUT!”


A second later, two burly men came into the room. They had silver suits and one was holding…were those handcuffs?!


“Oh, good.” Windy sighed with relief. “Hi, I’m Windy. If you could just tell me where I a—wait, what are you doing?!” Before she could protest, the handcuffs were out of the man’s hands and clasped onto her.


“What did I do?” She cried and she struggled against the cuffs. They hurt, the sharp steel digging into her wrists. “What did I—”


A gag was stuffed into her mouth.


“You know what you did,” one of the large men grunted.


As they hauled her up and led her out the door, Windy racked her brain. But she didn’t. She didn’t know. What did she do? Why was she here? Had she been kidnapped? Who were the men? Her brain filled with questions as her panic increased.


She was led down a hallway. It looked like it belonged to a school. Was it her school? She couldn’t remember. She was led down another hallway, this one thinner, and finally, into another room.


As the door shut behind her, Windy took in the scene. She was in a 10-by-10 room, with whitewashed walls. There were no windows and the door locked behind her—with the strange men on the inside. A huge desk was at the back of the room, with a single chair in front of it. Tons of stuff was stuffed on the desk, piles reaching 2 feet. This room was also dimly lit, and it was safe to say Windy needed a new change of pants.


“Sit.” One of the men said in a low voice. The two guys were standing on either side of the door, so Windy walked up to the chair and sat down.


*****


Up close, she realized there was a person behind the desk. A heavyset, bald man with another silver suit. He looked at her curiously and Windy cautiously sat down. “He…hello?”


“Hi,” he said in a cold voice.


“Why am I here?”


“Wendy, Wendy, Wendy,” he tutted.


“It’s Windy, actually,” Windy gave him The Look—the glare reserved only for people who messed up her name.


“Whatever. You know why you’re here.”


“Huh?”


He ignored her. “So don’t act innocent.”


Windy’s lower lip trembled. She was really scared—everybody was acting like she did something. But she didn’t know what. So what was it that she didn’t know but did? “No, really, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


The guy snarled. “I just said don’t play innocent.”


Windy’s eyes flicked around nervously. “Again, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Why am I here? Is it because of what I did? If so, I really don’t know. Tell me.”


He chuckled. “First, I don’t believe you. Yes, you’re here for what you did.”


Windy nodded. “What did I do?”


The man looked anywhere but her face. Windy persistently stared at him until he sighed. “Do you know that there have been several student kidnappings lately? They were all taken near this very school. They were each held for 7 days, getting a small cup of water but no food each day. Then they were released in the middle of the woods, unconscious.”


Windy turned queasy. Her stomach tried to visit her throat and her mouth tasted like copper. “Is that what I did?” Her eyes widened even more. “Oh, god, did I kidnap people?”


The guy chuckled again. “No, no, I just wanted to tell you.”


Windy had had no idea that had happened. She didn’t read the news, after all, and nobody had told her. Windy settled back in her chair but started to get suspicious. If she didn’t do that, then why did the guy bring it up? “So what did I do?”


“You know.”


Windy stood up and smacked her hands on the table. “I DON’T know, okay? I DON’T KNOW! Do I need to spell it out for you? I D-O-N-T K-N-O-W! I have NO idea what you are talking about, NO idea ‘what I did’, and NO good feeling about being here! You tell me WHAT I DID and WHO YOU ARE right now. RIGHT NOW.”


Her words hung in the silence, then...


The guy gave her a chilly smile. “That’s what you did.”


“What?”


“You talked back. Loudly.”


Windy’s expression crumbled. She was relieved she didn’t do anything awful, but seriously? After all that fuss, she at least expected herself to be some evil mastermind. An evil genius mastermind. “Uh, okay. No apologies, though. Now, who are you and what do you want?”


The man chuckled for the second time. “You don’t know? I’m offended, Wendy.” Windy snarled. “I’m your principal.”


*****


Windy gave him the side-eye. She believed him, even though her memories were getting fuzzier and fuzzier. It made sense—talking back sounded like something Windy would do, and getting mad at a student for talking back sounded like something a principal would do. The one thing that didn’t make sense: why was she here? The principal definitely wasn’t allowed to treat a student this way, shutting her in a closet and getting two large men to handcuff her and bring her, against her will, to the principal's office. Plus, he had brought up kidnappings. Near this school.


Windy was getting an idea. Of what was happening. It was bad, really bad, and freaky, super freaky…but luckily for Windy, she had attitude and karate.


She decided to wait just one moment, to see if she was correct.


The principal said, “So, you know what I do to people who talk back?”


“What?” Windy stared him down.


“Let’s just say I don’t like being interrupted.”


The principal started to edge out from behind his desk and Windy grinned. It was ‘time’, and fighting was her home court. 


In one fluid movement, she had kicked the principal in the face. He staggered backwards and Windy rushed to the door—not to leave, but to let the two guys take care of the two guys.


She was in between the large men, and they both tried to punch her. One in the head, one in the gut. And they didn’t hold back when trying to punch Windy, which was good, because they ended up punching each other.


Windy slipped out from between them just in time for the two guys to roll to the floor, groaning. She grabbed her chair and knocked them both over the head, and they both passed out.


The principal, clutching his bloody nose, started to advance on Windy. “You’ve got fancy moves, kid. But unluckily for you, you’re out-sized.”


Windy smirked and said the line she had always wanted to say before busting some moves: “Maybe so, but you’re outmatched.”


*****


She flung into action, 8 years of karate training on her side. She and the principal had a pretty epic fight for a couple minutes.


Okay, I lied. Windy was epic. She gave a kiai (a Japanese term for a shout hollered before a move) then punched, jabbed, kicked, and overall hurt her evil, kidnapping principal.


The principal, meanwhile, was being really brave by trying to hide behind his desk.


Windy was trained in karate. She was also trained in tackling her little sister, Isali. 


A moment later, the principal was on the ground, Windy on top of him. She held her elbow over his face, which his hands pinned down. Elbows are the deadliest strike in karate (and in general): while punching hurts, it can damage your fist. Elbowing is a single, solid strike that causes a ton of damage.


“It’s not me!” The principal croaked. “What are you doing?” 


Windy gave her best version of the principal's chuckle. “Don’t play innocent. I know you’re the kidnapper, ya big awful person.” She punched her elbow down, and the principal went unconscious.


*****


20 minutes later, the (now conscious) principle was loaded into the back of a police car. It turned out, yep, he was the kidnapper. The police had been unable to identify his face before because all the witnesses had been drugged so they lost their short term memories.


Windy was given some medicine to counter the effect, so she wouldn’t keep losing her memories as she got them (the principal’s drugs for kidnappings were weird). She was also given tons of thanks.


Windy was proud. She, your average middle schooler, had fought against a kidnapper, won against a kidnapper, and gotten the kidnapper where he belonged: in jail.


The first thing the assistant principal did when promoted was give the school and early release. Their principal had kidnapped, drugged, and starved several of the kids in the school, so everybody was freaked.


As Windy went outside to the buses, her friend Melissa ran up and hugged her. “Windy! Where have you been?! Our principal was that kidnapper! Thank goodness he’s in jail now! Anyways, I was super worried! Where were you?!”


Like usually, Windy’s excited friend talked at the speed of a bullet. Windy blinked and shook her head to clear it. She stared at Melissa. “Where have I been?”


Melissa nodded.


Windy grinned. “Oh, just same old, same old.”



July 24, 2020 22:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

92 comments

נιмму 🤎
06:23 Jul 26, 2020

i liked this to remind me to check it out tomorrow and i will give u feed back then lol

Reply

10:17 Jul 26, 2020

Haha okay. Actually, it is tomorrow, so, uh....if you want to, feedback? 🤣🤣🤣

Reply

נιмму 🤎
20:45 Jul 27, 2020

Sorry I've been busy, I'll read it now!

Reply

20:46 Jul 27, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
נιмму 🤎
20:58 Jul 27, 2020

Ok so finally just finished reading it lol sorry for the wait. This is a cute little action-packed story. I haven't read many stories on where there is a badass middle schooler who knows karate so it was very entertaining. It keeps you on the edge of you seat with many questions. I certainly did not expect the bad guy to be a principle! A wild twist of events. I like the way the title has to do with the ending because while reading something I do often wonder you know why is it titled this? What does the title mean? You find out eventual...

Reply

18:15 Jul 29, 2020

Thank you so much! (Sorry it took 2 days to respond) Thanks! I love reading and writing stories with younger characters because I feel like it makes it more interesting. Thanks again! I like to have titles that kind of sum up the story but don’t give it away, and I love naming it after the end. 😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Great job on the story! I really liked it!

Reply

20:41 Jul 26, 2020

Thank you!,!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Cam Croz
02:38 Oct 08, 2020

Great story! I really liked Windy as a character, and its always fun to read a story with a little kid who is capable of defending themselves. (especially when they are somewhat humble about it, which is why I loved the end!) I never thought the mysterious kidnapper would be the girls principal! All in all it was a pretty well written action-packed mystery!

Reply

00:42 Oct 09, 2020

Thank you! Yeah, lol, I love reading stories with strong (LITERALLY) female leads... Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
18:17 Aug 03, 2020

“Well, Memory Lane was closed for construction because of the damage near the end.” Haha there’s something I love about this! Overall a very fun and feel-good story. Wish I was as good at karate as Windy in sixth grade. I think my only problem is that I’m confused as to why Windy didn’t recognize her principal before he told her his identity. Don’t they go to the same school? Or is there something about the drug that I missed out? Good stuff, anyway. Keep writing! 😊

Reply

19:01 Aug 03, 2020

Oh, thanks so much! 😁 While Windy USED to know who her principal was, she chunks of her memory. Mostly short-term, but it definitely could’ve included the principal. Maybe I should’ve made that clearer. Also, there’s a chance that Windy just never knew what her principal was—she’s in 6th grade, her first year at a new school. Maybe this took place on the first week, where Windy hadn’t met her principal yet. Thank youuuuuu! 😆😆😆

Reply

Rayhan Hidayat
19:14 Aug 03, 2020

Ah, ok, that clears things up. And it’s no problem, keep it up! 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
20:59 Aug 13, 2020

I really love how you let your imagination determine what happens in the unknown and negotiate possibilities of the different 'untold' scenarios. You let your creations/characters have a mind of their own. That's so cool :D

Reply

21:56 Aug 13, 2020

Thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Niveeidha Palani
07:47 Aug 01, 2020

Hi Aerin, lovely story! By the way, I know the answer in the riddle to your bio ;) Let me take a guess...silence? Haha, I knew the answer already actually, I learned the answer a few months ago. ;) Now, back to your story ;) It's good! Perhaps instead of showing Wendy's anger by hitting the Caps Lock button, maybe you could express her feelings? Describe how she was in fury when she didn't know why she was there and what she did. Also, I found a few punctuation and grammatical errors. Other than that, it was a lovely flow ...

Reply

11:01 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you do much, Niveeida! Glad you liked it! 😊😊😊

Reply

Niveeidha Palani
11:42 Aug 01, 2020

No problem :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 0 replies
12:27 Sep 23, 2020

Awesome story! I have an idea ... You should keep on writing stories like this! PS. I did an up-voting spree.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Cynthia Cronan
20:17 Jul 27, 2020

Hi, Aerin - “Just Same Old....” was a fun read. Is JuvFic your subject of choice? (This is the first time I am reading any of your work.) I think your opening sentence could have been the one that creates more suspense. “She hadn’t done anything wrong as far as she knew.” One other suggestion is rewording the “..let the two guys take care of the two guys.” because I reread it a few times to see if I missed two other guys coming in to help her. WRITE ON! - Cynthia

Reply

20:24 Jul 27, 2020

Hi, Cynthia! Thank you so much! Nope, I have no idea what JuvFic is! Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! - Aerin!!!

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
02:50 Jul 28, 2020

Juvenile Fiction, I read your bio, you said you were going to publish a book soon? Out of curiosity, what genre is it?

Reply

18:15 Jul 28, 2020

Color Quest is a fantasy novel (the first one in a 5-book series)! It’s a quest story that TEEEECHNICALLY takes place on Earth, but has, what I call, ‘a whole other world’. It’s kinda like Harry Potter or Percy Jackson in the sense it’s in our universe but not the real one—in Color Quest, there are gods and goddesses and powers and SemiMagicals and Demigods. Fantasy is super fun to write!

Reply

Tvisha Yerra
20:17 Jul 28, 2020

Most fiction is fantasty, that doesn't really answer my question, not to be rude. Is it a YA, Adult fiction, JuvFic?

Reply

20:19 Jul 28, 2020

JuvFic, I guess, although it could be YA. I’d say ages 8+ would enjoy reading it, especially tweens and teens, though.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:49 Aug 13, 2020

Wow Aerin, is Color Quest going to be published physically, as in as a paper book or online?

Reply

21:55 Aug 13, 2020

Yep! Well, both. I’m publishing it on Amazon by the end of the month so there are eBooks for kindles and paperbacks. I’m going to buy a million author copies and give them to everybody I know, LOL...

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kat Sencen
15:49 Jun 10, 2021

Wait... (forgive my 10-month late curiousity) it is? I've looked at it on Goodreads before and I really want to read it, I didn't know it marked the start of a series.

Reply

Kat Sencen
15:49 Jun 10, 2021

Oh sorry, I thought I could reply to a specific comment. I was talking about color quest being part of a series.

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:27 Jun 10, 2021

I mean yup lol, it’s the start of 5 books! I’m 310 pages into book 2 whenever I swallow writer’s block and finish it once and for all, and I have the rest of the series mapped out XD

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 3 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Abigail Slimzy
22:34 Jul 24, 2020

The ending was quite nice👍 you are doing well.

Reply

22:51 Jul 24, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
TJ Squared
01:50 Jul 07, 2021

XDDDD this is just great, the phrases, the construction on Memory Lane, just everything, priceless. No wonder you write a novel, cause you totally have that much talent!!! no further words XD

Reply

00:49 Jul 08, 2021

Oop thank you girl!!!!! Eeeek thanks XDD

Reply

TJ Squared
00:50 Jul 08, 2021

:D ofc :)))) it's true after all ;D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:25 Aug 20, 2020

Just a guess, is the answer to the riddle write?

Reply

18:26 Aug 20, 2020

Oh wait... never mind.

Reply

18:27 Aug 20, 2020

Um, uh...okay? 😄

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Krishi Norris
22:50 Aug 15, 2020

Riddle: If you have me, you might want to share me. But if you share me, you haven’t got me! What am I? Answer (I'm positive this time, because this one was pretty easy): Secret!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Krishi Norris
22:50 Aug 15, 2020

Riddle: If you have me, you might want to share me. But if you share me, you haven’t got me! What am I? Answer (I'm positive this time, because this one was pretty easy): Secret!

Reply

22:53 Aug 15, 2020

Yesssss! 🎉🎉🎉

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:48 Aug 13, 2020

Aerin, Aerin, Aerin (Me wondering why you're not writing scripts for Nickelodeon , AND acting in them) Me again: WHY though??? (P.S. in case you didn't decode that, this was AMAZEBEES ; D Further with the feedback; I really love how this manipulates the prompt so comfortably! Again, AMAZEBEES!)

Reply

21:54 Aug 13, 2020

AHHH THANK YOUUUU!!!

Reply

21:57 Aug 13, 2020

YOU'RE WELCOME!!!

Reply

21:58 Aug 13, 2020

😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Tariq Saeed
02:44 Aug 02, 2020

Straw berry hair sounds good.

Reply

12:42 Aug 02, 2020

Haha. I don’t know if you’re kidding or not, but strawberry-blond hard is like a pinkish blond.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Molly Sickle
21:48 Aug 01, 2020

Really fun story to read. I wish I had a book like this when I was in middle school

Reply

21:54 Aug 01, 2020

Oh my gosh, thanks so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sara Valentiuk
14:07 Aug 01, 2020

What a fun read! I enjoyed the sarcastic tone, especially when the principal was "being brave by hiding behind the desk" 😄 I was confused by the line "...let the two guys take care of the two guys." Maybe an alternative could be "let the two guys take care of each other" that way the reader isnt looking to see if they missed two other guys entering!

Reply

14:08 Aug 01, 2020

Good idea, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
18:20 Jul 29, 2020

What a fun read. Nice fast pace moved the story quickly. The only thing I found to fix was you wrote “I’m your principle” when he was introduced vs principal.

Reply

18:29 Jul 29, 2020

Oops, thanks for catching that!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aqsa Malik
11:39 Jul 28, 2020

Now that was a really cool story, I throughouly enjoyed it! Straight off the bat, I loved the fact that the story revolved around a relatively young person-it was super refreshing and nostalgic. It's also really REALLY funny. I found myself laughing at half the story and that's something that I can appreciate haha. There was also a really good build up to the mystery. You really had me hooked when the principal made the reader believe Windy was behind the kidnappings, but you assured us yet another twist and it was super interest...

Reply

12:09 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much for the long and detailed feedback, Aqsa! (Love your name!) Thanks! I liked to write young characters so I’m glad you enjoy them. Haha, thanks again! I try to make writing funny so I’m happy you notice it. Thanks for the suggestions. Actually, normally I’d agree with you about the semicolons, but I recently took an online grammar course for 3 months and it turns out semicolons should be used when comas are also used. Like: ‘Sports, food, and slime‘ could use comas, but if you did ‘Sports, food, burgers especially, ...

Reply

Aqsa Malik
12:22 Jul 28, 2020

Woah, I didn't know that! Thanks for that insight, it's gonna help me tons in my future submissions too. Ah, makes sense. Well, whatever you think works best your story overall :D Of course 💞 (P.s. I also love your name hehe)

Reply

12:25 Jul 28, 2020

Aw, thanks! 😁😁😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Lindsey W
03:02 Jul 28, 2020

A very interesting take on the prompt! Well done

Reply

18:15 Jul 28, 2020

Thank you so much, Lindsay!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.