8 comments

Adventure

AN: Just a little disclaimer, there might be some discrepancies in my grammar and how everything plays out in this plot because I was running on a tight time crunch. But nevertheless, I worked hard on this piece and will take any criticism. Also, I will go back after this is read and fix any mistakes. Also if you were interested in my story called the Infinite Reigns of Time, I'm planning on extending the story and trying to make a book out of it since it did so well. But enjoy!

The dull white saucer in the sky, commonly known as the moon, rose to the precipice of the climbing mountainsides. The great LED light bore drops of darkness on the stripped roofing, where a royal family resides. Inside the depths of the quiet quaint cottage, the only utterance breaking through the loud silence was a rasping sigh escaping the distressed pent-up frustration of a distraught teen. Tears trickled down the contours of Princess Kallista’s face, leaving temporary trails of sadness soon to dissipate into nothingness. Stirring in bed, Kallista felt for the hem of her soft pink linen bottoms, feeling the sleek design in her fingers. When making this motion, the ruffles in her lace top moved ever so slightly, before flittering back down to its roots. The decadent bows laces fell between her bosom as Kallista sat upright, in an attempt to shake the distaste and evil wrongdoings welling in her mind against her parents. On numerous occasions, Kallista fought inner battles with her consciousness to keep herself from running out of the prestigious double doors. Kallista peered with freshly glimmering eyes at the blaring alarm clock and realized with disdain she had another 3 hours to go before she had to start the tedious sequence of her formal dress attire.

Leaning against the headboard of the plush bed frame imported from Greece, Kallista thought of all the ordinary commons people that had the latest iPhones and computers while she was stuck with nothing. She thought of the children not having to wear corsets to be more presentable to no one or to be required to wear layers of clothing to hide even the slightest bit of skin. A requirement of being built into the royal family was dressing like it was the late 16th-century Britain. If it was even feasible to wonder to Townsquare, the men would whistle and chide as she walked by, admiring her curves, while women whispered insults. Kallista was able to count the times she made her way to Townsquare, only holding up 3 fingers. She remembered with great audacity the whisperings of the town at such an old-fashion outfit. Wanton fervor played across the eyes and lips of men making careful notice of her. Kallista would watch, forbidden and obscene words pounding inside her lips wanting to be released. Fighting words that her parents had sealed off and tucked away in a box in the back of her mind. Fighting words and gestures that were labeled the opposite of pristine. Kallista foamed with hatred because of the movies she never got to watch, the games she never got to partake in, the technology she wasn’t allowed to have, the society she wasn’t allowed to participate in. Most of all the restraints of romance, and the forceful marriage of her 1st cousin, which would be known as pedophilia and incest today.

Kallista swung her legs from the low sitting bed, standing with a mighty fury. Swinging the closet door open, Kallista slipped on a thin ruby red low-cut dress with ruffled sleeves. The wind whistled through the screening of a slightly ajar sliding window which Kallista opened prior to dimming the lights and pulling the silk covers. The pale blue curtain flapped helplessly as the propelling force picked up speed. With gloved hands, Kallista slid the screen with great care and gingerness, making sure it didn’t squeak in its hinges. One foot then the other landed on soft grass, and with eyes lifted Kallista found the stars shining with great wonder over her. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she turned to look at her empty room with growing guilt. They won’t even think to check. They never do. Kallista told herself, still battling with the demon and the angel on her shoulders.

The breathtaking coolness of the grass excited multiple sensations on Kallista’s bare feet, as she began to take long strides near the edge of a great canopy of trees. With an arm outstretched, Kallista examined dips and curves in the protective sheath of bark on a hickory tree that swayed elegantly from side to side. Giggling internally, Kallista took notice as to how the tree danced with the wind. Twirling with childish delight, Kallista bowed and passed by the matinee, smiling as she went. Paying no attention to wilting flowers and falling leaves, Kallista danced along the disorganized dirt path, kicking up spouts of dirt in her wake. Past frustrations now a distant memory, Kallista’s mind was now focused on a slight rustling in the bushes. Eyes fixed on the shrubbery, it rustled again, and a white bunny with beady black eyes flounced out. The furry creature twitched its slimy nose before disappearing back into the darkness. 

After the brief distraction, Kallista continued on her journey to the cleaning, ignoring the hidden eyes of shadowed watchers. The trickle of water roared through the constant chitter from the tiny critters of the forest. Kallista moved with a great rhythm to silent music until she reached the edge of a water source many called The Great Majesty. The icy blue waters Kallista was now admiring her shadow in, glistened with sparkles of shattered moonlight. The dock creaked with great authority as Kallista sat at the rugged edge, lifting up the edges of her dress to dip her feet in. Shivering, Kallista produced a shaky sigh when she relaxed onto the dock. Head upturned, eyes toward the heavens. I wonder if I will ever meet the star I was destined to have, reminisced Kallista. Slender, gloved fingers found the weather-worn stips and gripped tightly as if Kallista would fall in. The mystery and wonder of the giants took hold of Kallista’s heart. On a distant flag pole, a flag lapped lazily back and forth, saluting the wind. Kallista hated the sight of the flag pole. That very flagpole was the objective embodiment of demands and warnings issued from authoritative figures. 

Tears began to well in their pores once again, occasionally a few stray drops would splash into the pond, adding saltiness to freshwater. Combining perfection and brokenness into one mass Parting full plump lips a broken and weak scream released 17 countless years of captivity. “Why, why why,” she lamented, depression taking hold of her vocal cords. “Oh darling, you sound very distressed,” crooned a female voice from behind Kallista. Those words sloshed around in Kallista’s head as she turned to see who produced those words. Standing before her was a gorgeous goddess, looking down at a crumbling princess with great pity and understanding. “You poor thing,” she frowned. Without much affirmation, the stranger found a spot next to Kallista and pulled her onto her lap. Wrapping comforting arms around her shoulders, Kallista lay her head on this complete stranger. She almost didn’t care who she actually was, the comfort was enough for a blush to play on her fair cheeks. “Confess to me love,” blushed the foreigner.

“I would rather not, this problem has been frustrating me for years. It would sound foolish and seem confusing to a commons person,” Kallista sighed. No one ever understood the concept of being locked away and forced to withdraw herself from society. The hand of the stranger flinched in reproach. “Excuse me? Commons people? Who do you think-” stopped the shadow of the night. Wheels were spinning and falling into place in the factory department of the mystifying woman. “You’re the princess that is forced to hide away all of the time,” she gasped in mock surprise. Kallista looked down at the woman who was now cradling her head, stroking it ever so gently. “Yeah, that’s me,” Kallista whispered. 

While still looking into the wondrous face beneath her, Kallista drank in the details of this woman’s face. Lips buzzing with attraction, Kallista wanted to share her first kiss with the double forbiddance. If one of her parents happened to be taking a stroll at this ungodly hour witnessing the sight of Kallista drooling over a commons woman she would be shut out of the royals forever. 

“What’s your name sweet one,” the stranger asked. “Kallista, what’s yours,” the princess asked in response. “Sage smiled with a wink and a slight blush playing at her lips. “I just want to kiss you,” Kallista stated aloud. “I get that a lot,” laughed Sage before she placed her hand on Kallista’s soft skin. Tingles grew and warmth spread throughout their bodies, as they locked lips. Brain stinging with guilt, Kallista pulled away, almost ashamed at her sudden feelings of lust for the same sex. Sliding one thigh, then the other back onto the cold lonely dock, Kallista dropped back to reality. Dropped back to her senses, before being pulled back in just by the sight of Sage. 

“You do realize darling I can make this all go away by sun-up,” promised Sage with a sly grin. Looking back with expressions of curiosity, Sage continued, “Go back to your hidey-hole and bring me 50 of those rare gold pieces everyone is talking about, and the family ring. That’s all I need and I can make your problems disappear.” A small chortle up-welled into Kallista’s chest at the thought of a genie. “Yes my beauty, I can do that. Anything to rid me of the 17-year trouble,” Kallista partook. 

With great servility, Kallista retraced her steps back through the sleepy hollow and to her quiet abode, except the 3rd time she carried a medium-sized sack with the prized possessions and her ticket to freedom. The beating adrenalized heart of a princess soon to be freed from the manacles of the proverbial fiery dragon, sounded in her ears. Pushing any last-minute opposing thoughts away, Kallista gulped large quantities of air when the clearing came into view. At the sight of Sage’s gaping beauty, Kallista almost hurtled the bag forward but restrained herself. Sage pocketed the stash, before producing some model of an iPhone. Sage looked up and smiled meekly at Kallista as she pressed her phone to the side of her face to listen. 

“Yes, boys you’re free to do your job,” was all that was uttered before the call ended. Arms outstretched Kallista ran to Sage to close the embrace. “Wait, how did they kn-,” Kallista was cut off. “That’s none of your concern anymore,” Sage laughed, before slipping a long kitchen knife into the fleshy muscle on the back of Kallista’s neck.

Bolting upright, a teen looked around in childish fright at her surroundings. The chair is empty, the closet is closed, and the lights off, the teen checked off in her mind. “Everything is okay,” she reassured herself. “Just a dream. I’m not even gay,” she laughed despite the vivid dream.

April 10, 2021 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

Michael Boquet
20:38 Apr 14, 2021

Whoa! Intriguing story. Very well layered. I love the interplay between the elements of fairy tale and crime genre. I found the last paragraph to be a bit off-putting to be honest. But the idea of waking up from a nightmare and checking under the bed was well thought out. Love the title by the way.

Reply

Kaleigh Montague
12:09 Apr 15, 2021

That's just one of my ways of writing lol. I like to insert unpleasantness into my stories when they are needed. But thank you for the compliments! I'm currently working on another crime story for this week's writing prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hugo Millaire
00:24 Apr 22, 2021

Wow again! This story was very well planned out and I think it would also look great if it was brought to screen. And good job on Kallista she was a very intriguing character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
11:44 Apr 10, 2021

Interesting! I don't know if this could be counted as flash fiction, but you got a lot done with a minimalistic amount of words. I would say that you should split the long paragraphs up a little bit, but that's mostly it. Good story!

Reply

Kaleigh Montague
17:39 Apr 10, 2021

Thank you! Idk if you could tell but I was getting a little winded by the end because of the time crunch. But thank you for your compliments and I will take your criticism into consideration.

Reply

00:07 Apr 11, 2021

Yeah... writer stamina is an important thing no one really talks about, lol.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Angel {Readsy}
10:40 Apr 10, 2021

Brother kaleigh your story is passionate , tenacity, fascinating , sensuous, emotive, having intellectual expressions

Reply

Kaleigh Montague
17:36 Apr 10, 2021

Thank you! I appreciate your compliments!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.