32 comments

Science Fiction Drama Adventure

I hear the thumping footsteps as I stand on the concrete floor surrounded by electric wires in complete darkness. “Young man, step aside-” his face penetrates the flashlight, “Wallace?” He raises his eyebrows and his face contracts like a pitiful old man. 

I stand speechless as my dad, ignoring my existence, joins back the huge wire to the supply. The fault is easily found- ah the advancement these days.

Even louder and speedy footsteps come towards this slowly-coming-back-to-life room. “Robert! Thank god you fixed it before much damage was done . . . and you Wallace, don’t try to look confused, you know you are in trouble.”The angered authorities walk away to answer the troubled colonists. 

I tell my reasons only to be dragged in a tiny enclosed grey room. Ironic how they want us to discuss our issues in this windowless room. 

“Honey, why didn’t you consult someone before?” the counselor puts on the most sympathetic look she could, “Matters like this aren’t small enough to be hidden underneath.”She looks through my stony eyes as if she could get more out of me.

Telling her that I had no online friends and I was malevolent enough to not let others communicate with their friends is already too embarrassing. 

“I am sorry, but aren’t you like supposed to help me?” I speak up.

She raises an eyebrow in pity, “Honey, please go down to the greenhouse and understand the circumstances of your act . . .You are old enough to handle it, aren’t you?” She looks away in confidence knowing that it has triggered me. 

I loudly walk my way down through the enclosed staircase. It was a minor one, the lights went out for a minute or so, why is everyone being so serious? 

The colonists are sitting in the middle surrounded by the very first plants grown. The president is giving his speech looking down.

“I am sorry for your loss dear Martians, the power outage was an unintended and a surprising one. We will make all efforts to compensate for the people in the hospital in high oxygen chambers. We would make sure that we get right back on track with the colony set-up so that no more harm is done. I would like to thank Robert for immediately fixing the problems so that no deaths of the outsiders occurred.” 

Dad walks on the stage and blushes as the forlorn figures clap for him. 

“Also, I would like our youngest technician to come up and apologize for his fault”

I have myriad thoughts. Although guilt is penetrating me, the humiliation is still more embarrassing for me.

My dad and I are on the same stage and yet it couldn’t be told in the future. 

“My dear colonists, I am sorry for my irresponsible behavior,” I try to avoid eye contact, “I hope you consider me as just another selfish and inconsiderate teenager,” this line is not the best way to say it, but I am already humiliated so why not some more?

I hold my tears in as the greenhouse comes alive with booing. I stand there while the authorities explain why I am not being arrested. I stand and look through the glasses at the blue sphere up there. If only those people from Earth communicate with me instead of Ralph or Maria, none of this would have happened.

Ralph and Maria would never play with me, they would come inside the room only to flash their busy schedules. 

I would stare at those two as they are proudly interviewed by the Earthly humans in the colonists-362 cyber cafe. 

I get lost in my thoughts all over again, only this time people are watching me.

My dad pulls me down the stage and we walk home through the tunnel 54. On our walk, my dad explains the reality of life just like the tropic earthly movies.

“Son, I know that sometimes we don’t intend to do something, however it just happens, right? I want you to know that it is completely okay to not have online friends, I mean you should take pride in the fact that you don’t need strangers to keep you going. I know that Ralph and Maria are two busy being influencers, but you have me and our whole gang of technicians.”He laughs and then his face puckers as if in nostalgia, “I was your age once . . . and I was a typical Ralph, your mom a typical Maria, we both seldom studied and we had no skills. One day the news comes on for the selection of colonists-362. The way they advertised made something inside me come alive. . . I hurried to my room and opened the link to enroll, and the form had so many things that I never even heard off . . . 

“The next day, I wake up determined to acquire some skills, but then my phone beeps, and my whole day was wasted again and then again . . .  I decided to delete Instagram and Sarah too agreed with me-”

“How is that related to me?”

“Son, we left our teenage years to come here, and you had the privilege to be born here . . . I am so proud of you for being so skilled, do you know what the future holds for Maria and Ralph?”

“Um, they are going to continue being influencers and earn” I look at him in confusion.

“Yes, of course, but you, my son, have got a lot of opportunities, at this age you can do so much . . . you can cut down the main transmission wire.” He laughs.

I shake my head and I end up laughing too.

“All this you are handling, will go away once you create something for the colonists, the Earthly people are interviewing Maria and Ralph right now, but those interviews will mean nothing once you give an interview on what you have created . . .” 

Of course, I just needed this kind of talk. It feels good to be appreciated. 

I did not know that on this day, I will do this small thing and it will create such a huge impact on my life. Maybe I will become ‘determined dad’ now. 

I go inside my capsule burping and try to sleep and I am able to, after so many days. 

The next day I travel through the tunnel-23 and reach the huge 3d printed ball. This glass ball has people of my kind in it and all the huge machines you can imagine.

I talk with the manager and he shows me how they break Carbon dioxide into oxygen and carbon with the help of electricity.

“This is a never stopping process and it stopped yesterday for a minute.”He smiles at me.

September 10, 2020 15:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Lily Kingston
11:59 Sep 13, 2020

Great story! I love the pep talk the dad gives his son. Keep up the good work and keep writing!!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
12:30 Sep 13, 2020

Hehe, thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
01:52 Sep 13, 2020

Very intriguing! I’m not the biggest fan of space but I thought this was great!!! The way you explained it was really thrilling and the environment seemed so real. There are some grammatical errors though. I recommend using Grammarly or ProWritingAid. Those are what help me. Sorry I couldn’t check this out earlier. But I thought it was fantastic! Hope you’re staying safe!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
09:39 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you, Doubra. I really appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to take Grammarly suggestions next time!

Reply

Doubra Akika
10:06 Sep 13, 2020

My pleasure! Not all of them are right though, so I’d just advice you to look at which ones you think fit your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Akshat .
04:43 Sep 12, 2020

Nice! You have potential! All you need to do, is work upon is more showing and less telling. Just in case you don’t know what that means, then just ask! Cool story though, and the dystopian environment seemed real!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
08:51 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you for the feedback Akshat!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Aveena Bordeaux
01:25 Sep 12, 2020

This was really creative. I loved how for nearly every sentence, there are descriptive words, either the way a character speaks or acts, etc. You had my attention throughout :) Great job on this!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
08:46 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you, Joy, I really appreciate your comment!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
20:47 Sep 11, 2020

Such an intriguing story! A very nice piece. You had a very creative take on this prompt, and I reeeeeeeeeally enjoyed the end product! Awesome job! Keeeeeeeep writing, Anshika! ~Aerin P. S. Would you mind checking out my newest story? If so, thanks!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
08:44 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you for the feedback Aerin!! I will surely check your story out!

Reply

13:14 Sep 12, 2020

Thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Avery G.
19:36 Sep 11, 2020

Wow, this was really cool! I loved reading it, so much! Great job!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
19:48 Sep 11, 2020

thanks, Avery, it means a lot ;0

Reply

Avery G.
20:25 Sep 11, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
08:42 Sep 12, 2020

okay

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Prachi Kumbhare
08:01 Sep 17, 2020

I loved the story. It was fun to read but you could have shown more and narrated less so that people can connect more. Also, the dialogues could have been in more flow. I loved how his dad advised him. It was an interesting story. Keep up the good work.

Reply

Anshika Goyal
09:47 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you Prachi, for the appreciation and critique!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lilliane Wei
16:02 Sep 14, 2020

Sorry I couldn't get here earlier, I've been a bit busy. Anyway, nice story! I love this plot, it's very futuristic and you had my attention throughout. However, I would advise that you adjust some of the dialogue so that it flows easier, contracting words like 'do' and 'not' to don't. Also try to work on showing not telling, it'll give the reader a greater sense of the setting without being delivered the entire thing really quickly. Other than that, great job!

Reply

Anshika Goyal
03:15 Sep 15, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, Whirlwind, I will try my best!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
03:39 Sep 15, 2020

Of course. Also, I know you said you'd like me to check out your two most recent stories. So, a new one of yours came out earlier, would you like me to read both or do you have a preference? If I don't read it soon, I apologize in advance and promise that I will get around to reading them.

Reply

Anshika Goyal
10:42 Sep 15, 2020

You can read any. I will surely check out yours!

Reply

Lilliane Wei
15:40 Sep 15, 2020

Okay, will do!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charles Stucker
20:22 Sep 12, 2020

surrounded by electric wires in- is these are power conduits the word is cables. Sorry about not seeing this early enough to edit on Reedsy. "I am sorry, but aren’t you like supposed to help me"- like used this way is it's own subordinate clause and needs to have commas surround it, "I am sorry, but aren’t you, like, supposed to help me" You have several places with misplaced spacing. Run your spell checker with the grammar check on before you submit and you can easily fix those issues. Between Earth and Mars you have a message lag ...

Reply

Anshika Goyal
09:26 Sep 13, 2020

Thank you for the feedback, I will surely tag you the next time for the scientific tips.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lynn Penny
18:29 Sep 12, 2020

This was fun! I totally different take from your other submission, the range of writing you have it amazing.

Reply

Anshika Goyal
18:31 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you, Lynn!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
18:08 Sep 12, 2020

Very creative read. Always impressed by a writers imagination in use. Since it's an environment not experienced in reality you have to use your creative juices to entice the reader. Well done

Reply

Anshika Goyal
18:21 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you so much for the feedback Corey!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rayhan Hidayat
12:40 Sep 12, 2020

There’s a lot of potential for a massive, sprawling Sci-Fi world here! I think my main issue is the lack of focus... There are a lot of cool concepts that I feel like are glossed over, like the 3d-printed ball at the end that apparently has a whole race of people inside it, but the story seems to be more about... social media influencers? Having online friends? Maybe it’s just me, but I wasn’t sure where you were going with this. 😅 Good stuff, anyways. Keep it up! 😙

Reply

Show 0 replies
15:52 Sep 11, 2020

This is a great story! I loved reading it...and in your bio you mentioned space...I LOVE SPACE!! I am really intrigued with astronomy and space...so yeah. You found a space lover. Keep writing :)

Reply

Anshika Goyal
18:06 Sep 11, 2020

Thank you for the feedback. Oh, and I am happy to find a space lover like me hehe ^_^

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.