62 comments

Drama Funny Historical Fiction

Much Ado About Nothing


“About face! March! Hup, two, three, four. Hup, two, three, four. Halt! About face! March! Hup, two...”

This goes on in daylight and in darkness.

“Red, yellow, black and white. We keep everything in sight. Day and night.” Marching Mustard remarked. “We are the Watchmen keeping watch over the rails of the ramparts in Messina...”

“Halt!” comes the command.

“Oomph. I hate it when you stop so suddenly, Colonel Catsuppi. You being red and me so white we'll come out pink colliding all the time.” Ranchairo exclaimed.

“That would create a thousand...”

“I'd relish that. Not!”

“Note to self. 'Be aware what you wish not for.' “ Frenchy chuckled behind them.

“About face! March!”

“Hey, has anyone taken a good look at Balsamic lately? He looks like he is about ready to expire.” Frenchy hints.

“Aren't we all stamped with an expiration date. Some are simply longer than others.” Oliveoili insisted.

“Halt!”

“After the stunt he pulled it is a wonder the Hotdog hasn't canceled him already.” Ranchairo mumbled.

“What did you say?” Colonel Catsuppi interjected.

“Come now. We all saw what we saw. That wasn't nothing. He slinked up to Lady Honey's chambers claiming to dress her up. Spoilt her for her wedding with Master Marmalade. The intended groom won't have nothing to do with her now.”

“Didn't you hear the word that Friar Frankfurt sent out that wasn't her on display in the tower window. It was Maid Margarine Balsamic slicked up to.”

“Hey, I can hear all that ado of which you are accusing me. I was put up to it by the bitter half-brother of Don Perrier, Don Vinagar. Think he was wanting Sweet Honey for himself.” Poor beleaguered Balsamic buffered. “But, yeah, I'm not complaining how Maid Margarine buttered me up. If you know what I mean?”

“About face....” As Major Mayo continued to bark out orders in barged hotheaded Constable Dogberry with his loyal Veggies tailing him.

“Brr. Bit chilly wouldn't you say? Here to collect Balsamic, Sir Major, and his cohort Borscht. Orders from Governor Leonion. Supposedly his daughter, Lady Honey, in her shame has committed suicide. She's currently laid out above the catacombs of ovum. Someone is going to have some explaining to do.”

“Balsamic is here but Borscht is probably hanging out with other left-overs from the masquerade party. Balsamic has implicated Don Vinagar may be responsible as well.”

“Duly noted. I don't know nothing about that yet. I'll be uncovering everything that started at least a week ago with all those folks on the top shelf. What can you tell me about the soldiers that crowd in here whenever they come to town?”

“Nothing to 'em much. Very transient fellows. Can see right through them. Only interested in making it with the ladies. Drench the wenches when the lights go out. If ya know what I mean?”

“I hear ya. Note to self. 'Don't let nothing get past ya when the lights go out.'”

One week ago...

Triumphant soldiers, Brigadier Breadsticks, Marmalade and Don Perrier, returned from battle to spend time with Governor Leonion who was mourning his late wife, Madam Imoldmilk. Prone to seeing her ghost hovering about the ovum catacombs, he mostly took refuge in the lower humidity of inner sanctuaries. His friends thought it would take nothing more than peeling back a few outer layers to expose his vulnerable heart so he would open up once more.

Master of Arms Marmalade took one look at Leonion's beautiful daughter, the pure and sweet Honey, and fell madly in love with her convincing Leonion to grant him her hand in marriage. The wedding was to take place quickly in order to divert the governor's grief. A grand masquerade ball was organized to celebrate.

As masquerade balls tend to do it became a great ado. Guests were having fun pretending to be what they weren't or who they weren't behind masks. Confusing mistaken identities abounded.

Bluffing banter was batted between Brigadier Breadsticks and the enticing Beetrice, a buxom friend of Honey's. Everyone noted how the two charmed one another even though the two begged to differ claiming it was nothing to make a big ado about.

In the fruit garden beyond the cottage of cheese and amongst the lettuce trellis Honey and her spicy friend, Ursalsa, twittered how much Breadsticks had confessed his true love for Beetrice.

“Fell sesame seeds over heels for her. I tell you!” Ursalsa swore. Unbeknownst to them Beetrice overheard their chatter.

Meanwhile, Leonion assured Breadsticks the lovely Beetrice adored him. “Her face blushes a bright red every time your name is mentioned.”

Looked like a true love match was hatching.

Unfortunately, a more sinister alliance was also being fostered. Don Vinagar, the distilled yet disinherited half-brother of popular Don Perrier, solicited whiny Balsamic and sour Borscht to foil the wedding by making it look like the bride-to-be was no longer the untouched virgin she claimed to be. He clearly desired her for himself. Actually, no one would have been surprised if he had wanted the groom for himself besides. No thing really ever matters.

So as one scenario glided to happily ever-after, the other resulted in Marmalade refusing to marry the deflowered beauty at the altar, therefore, she fainted away. A slight of hand by the sly Friar led Honey to her resting place upon her mother's grave.

“All is not lost.” Governor assures Master Marmalade. “I happen to have a niece nearly as sweet as Honey, Lady Syrupy. She is willing and ready to become your bride.”

Preparations were hastily made and they stand at the altar ready to take their vows.

The tension is thick. Suspense is gooey. Marmalade and Syrup, a match made in heaven? Will it all fall flat as a flapjack? Nothing is a sure thing.

Once more a big ado goes forth. Vows are spoken. “You may kiss the bride,” says Friar Frankfurt.

Master Marmalade lifts the veil and, “Surprise, surprise, surprise! It is I.”

He triumphantly embraces the Sweet Honey, his one true love. Alive and well. The hoax foiled the evil plans of Don Vinagar who finds himself in a pickle and will now be escorted away to a nice safe second drawer somewhere. Nothing to it!

The Condimental Watchmen witness the joyous proceedings from their stations on the railing. The light goes out as the door eases shut answering that age old question. All is well once again within Mess-in-a-Frigid-Aire.





July 03, 2024 00:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

62 comments

Daniel Rogers
01:12 Jul 09, 2024

A fun veggie tale 🤣

Reply

Mary Bendickson
04:27 Jul 09, 2024

Oh, you caught that! Thanks.😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
00:12 Jul 08, 2024

Sure cuts the mustard with me. I’d love to see the Pixar version…

Reply

Mary Bendickson
00:32 Jul 08, 2024

Cute idea.🤗 Thanks for liking both of these latest additions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:37 Jul 07, 2024

Hilarious romp around the refrigerator. I realized very quickly that the names were a play on food names. When I got to Marmalade and the stuff about Honey, the deflowered beauty, the words of the song by Lady Marmalade came to mind, “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?” Loved this funny story and I bet you enjoyed creating it. Well done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:24 Jul 07, 2024

Thanks 😊. Glad you loved it. It was fun to write and for some reason the thought occurred quickly and I was able to get it done early in the week.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trudy Jas
02:23 Jul 03, 2024

Did you clean the fridge, while you were at it?

Reply

Mary Bendickson
03:04 Jul 03, 2024

Oo. Missed opportunity there!😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Dr. Jael Zebulun
17:44 Jul 08, 2024

Love it❣️❤️🏆 Favorite parts: Imoldmilk’s ghost hovering over the catacombs, and “taking refuge in the lower humidity of inner sanctuaries” —brilliant! And, of course, “sesame seeds over heels”. 😂❤️❤️❤️

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:43 Jul 08, 2024

Glad you found the humor.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
14:36 Jul 08, 2024

This so funny, and entertaining to read. Food story. Nicely done.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:14 Jul 08, 2024

Thanks.😊 Was in the middle of reading your island adventure when got interrupted. Will get back to it now. So far really like your premise that Amelia did survive for years. Very creative.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Howard Halsall
05:28 Jul 08, 2024

Hey Mary, What a hilarious idea; a hoot from start to finish. It had a wit, freshness and excitement that suggested you had tremendous fun getting it down on paper. I don’t know how you came up with the idea, but it’ll stay with me for weeks to come. Well done, it deserves full recognition in this week’s contest. HH :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
05:57 Jul 08, 2024

Wow! What a compliment!😊 Tried to think of subversion, something different than normal. Ever wonder what goes on when the fridge door closes?

Reply

Howard Halsall
05:59 Jul 08, 2024

In my fridge? I’d dread to think….. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
06:03 Jul 08, 2024

I doubt if mine is all that Shakespeare-ian. Maybe just shook up.

Reply

Dr. Jael Zebulun
17:49 Jul 08, 2024

What? It’s totally in the playful spirit of Much Ado about Nothing and Midsummer’s Night’s Dream. Shakespeare would love it!!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:44 Jul 08, 2024

Ya 🤔 think?😂

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Irene Duchess
23:16 Jul 07, 2024

Well-written, Shakespearean themed, food, and lots of humor! Seriously, what isn't to like about it? Liked it a lot. :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
23:45 Jul 07, 2024

So pleased you like it😋.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Linda Kenah
20:19 Jul 07, 2024

OMG-this was such a fun read. I loved all the names, and how they mixed together! Honey and Marmalade were quite sweet together. And foolish Don Vinegar probably soured after the entire ordeal! I have no idea how you came up with something like this. Wonderful! Very entertaining.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:06 Jul 07, 2024

Thank you so much. Not sure how it came to me other than trying to think of something I could change about it.😂 Thanks for following.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverly Goldberg
23:58 Jul 06, 2024

Mary, Thank you, thank you muchly. I just got back from a most tiring session I held about the state of the world, which so many attendees were unaware of--and there you were, making me laugh out loud from the second I met Colonel Catsuppi. A few people who heard me laughing so loudly, not knowing it was laughter, knocked. I let them in, read it to them, and you have four new fans. May I read it to my short story group next week, the 16th. They might not know the Bard's play, but this stands on its own. I know they'll love it, and if it isn...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:18 Jul 07, 2024

What a wonderful compliment! Of course you may read it to your group. But include your own excellent Shrew, too. Somehow I didn't specifically include tomatoes in my fridge 😕. If I had left Honey's name as Hero maybe she would have accessorized with them.🍅

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
22:31 Jul 06, 2024

Oh fun and witty repartee amongst the Condimentals. Im glad Don Vinagar lost- he's so bitter! Thanks!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
22:36 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks for taking the tour.😏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
14:14 Jul 06, 2024

This was a fun read - I need to brush up on my Shakespeare but I got the gist. Very creative take on the prompt. Thank you for your comment on my latest mess - I'm glad you found it funny. I've taken it down - I don't think it really fitted the prompt and didn't want to waste it since stories cannot be resubmitted. I like the idea of the word play I came up with and will use it when a more fitting prompt comes up.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:45 Jul 06, 2024

Thanks. Best of luck next time you use it. I have never been sure about re submittals. I have seen them done by some very experienced members and I did one myself though I knew it didn't have a prayer to win.

Reply

Show 0 replies
09:24 Jul 07, 2024

Shame I didn't get to read it! My one didn't get into the competition. (Payment problem) But I didn't take it down. Stories can be resubmitted with tweaks and a new title. I've done it before.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
McKade Kerr
13:54 Jul 06, 2024

Hahaha, that was great! So clever and creative, I’m impressed!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:40 Jul 06, 2024

Thank you so much!😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
10:32 Jul 05, 2024

Hilarious story, I love all the names you used for the characters! And you really played with the idea of mistaken identities too.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:12 Jul 05, 2024

As I told Annie I butchered the names liberally but tried to keep some similar to original. Marmalade for Claudio was way off but Cauliflower didn't seem right for a guy and Marmalade goes better with Honey and Syrupy I thought. Wanted to do Hero Sandwich instead of Honey but too masculine.😂 Glad you got a kick out of the choices.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Annie Persson
10:10 Jul 05, 2024

This reminds me of a show I used to watch when I was younger. It was called Veggie Tales, and much like your story starred many food items. This was a really unique re-telling, and I really enjoyed it! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
13:04 Jul 05, 2024

I purposely added Veggies tailing as a nod to Veggie Tales. Dogberry worked with a Verges or something similar in the play. I butchered names throughout the story but tried to keep them similar when I could.😉

Reply

Annie Persson
14:19 Jul 05, 2024

Well, you did a lovely job!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:51 Jul 05, 2024

Thanks 😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
21:11 Jul 04, 2024

I really enjoyed reading this and it left me with a huge smile! I loved the humor and puns and thought this was cleverly woven! Splendid job as usual! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
21:44 Jul 04, 2024

I'm really glad you liked it. Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Lewis
17:59 Jul 04, 2024

Hey, this is a fun and creative twist on "Much Ado About Nothing"! I love how you've used food-related puns and characters to give a fresh spin on the classic play. It's clever and made me chuckle. The character names like Colonel Catsuppi and Major Mayo are hilarious and fit their personalities. It makes the whole story more engaging and memorable. Your dialogue is spot-on, too. It captures the playful, witty banter of the original. The back-and-forth between characters keeps the story moving. You've done a great job of keeping the main plo...

Reply

Mary Bendickson
18:14 Jul 04, 2024

So pleased you like it and thank you for the great analysis:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
13:46 Jul 04, 2024

This was so much fun and so clever! I don't know how you came up with this, great imagination and sense of humor! :)

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:15 Jul 04, 2024

Think the title started it all. Nothing to it.😜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
13:29 Jul 04, 2024

Very clever!

Reply

Mary Bendickson
15:14 Jul 04, 2024

Thanks. Glad you think so.🤗

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:59 Jul 04, 2024

Now I’m hungry 😂

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:06 Jul 04, 2024

So it had an effect on you😉😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.