144 comments

Creative Nonfiction Drama

“Mr. Riley! Can I please have a pic-”


“No, Mr. Riley can I have a picture with y-”


“Get back! All of you!” your bodyguard says. It has been an eventful day for you, and you start walking out of your hotel. The Plaza Hotel, located in the heart of Dubai, is for only, and only, the richest.


It had pools and views, bedrooms the size of houses, and jacuzzis in the bathrooms themselves. You name it, the hotel had it. Unluckily, today was the last day you were staying in it since The Association of the Most Brilliant Authors’ meeting had ended.


You’re ushered into the front seat of your car, a black Jaguar F Type with bulletproof glass and fire decals. It had cost you a lot, but it had proved to be a good investment.


The bodyguard makes sure you’re all well in the car, and signals to his team. He does a slight hand-wave, with a sharp jab in the air in front of him. It is one of the many signals that you have never figured out the meaning of.


You look through the short sheet at the back, to check if your security team is ready to accompany you on your way home. They are.


You keep your hands on the leather padded steering wheel. Your foot comes down in a swift motion and in a short time, you find yourself zooming across Dubai at top speed.


 You don’t worry about traffic police and whatnot, you have a specialized and completely legal sheet on your car’s windshield, the words “Allowed to break the speed limit” printed on it.


In a short while, you reach your home. It is a fairly large estate, full to the brim with luxury.


“We’ll be patrolling the grounds all night sir,” your chief bodyguard, named Pierre Deloumont, says.


“Okay,” you reply, “just don’t make too much noise, especially if it’s just a stray cat.”


You grin, expecting even just a small snigger in response to the joke you just made. You don’t get one. Ah, well.


You walk back into your mansion, situated in the center of the estate. It has been a long day, and you want to get some rest.


You slump onto a couch overlooking the fireplace. There is a hot lasagna beside you, waiting to be eaten. The fire crackles and sparks hit the wood all around it. It is mesmerizing to gaze and the amber remains of the logs.


It’s been half an hour since you sat on the couch, and the lasagna has gone cold.


You’re bathed with memories of how you got here.


 How painful it is, to experience the past again, even if it’s in your mind. How painful it is, to know that you don’t deserve this luxurious life. How painful it is, to know, that you did not actually write the book that paved your life for you. How painful it is to know, that you don’t even have an ounce, of creativity.


5 YEARS BEFORE


Why can’t you write? You’re supposed to be an author, aren’t you?


You’re in your bedroom, sitting on your desk with your laptop in front of you and your notebook beside you. A blank document is open on your laptop and the pages in your notebook are clear.


You need to get out of this writer’s block. A dark void looms in your mind, blocking the creative streak that you thought would come to you once you sat down and brainstormed for ideas.


What can you do? You need money, you need to pay the rent, for the landlord wants his payment, you need food, you haven’t eaten in 2 days, for you need to save money, and you need some rest, for your mind is spinning out of control, stressed. Maybe that’s why you can’t write.


You’re staring at the document on the laptop, hoping that words will suddenly appear and the book will write itself. Of course, as you knew in the back of your head, it didn’t. 


Why? Why does it have to be you who has all the lack of work and money? You went to Oxford, got a degree, and made friends! But you still have barely any work! All your friends do! Owen, who bought a Lamborghini. Sarah, who made a luxury purse company. And most of all, Kevin, who bought a mansion, became an actor, and only mingled with the most A-List people.


Is that why he won’t answer any of your calls, emails, or texts? Is that why any of them don’t? Did they think that since they didn’t see you on the news, or magazines, that you weren’t worth talking to?


You need to do something that proves that you’re better than them. Better, than what you thought were friends. Even if it takes anything. Even cheating.


The answer to your problem is, ghostwriting.


You could hire a ghostwriter to write your stories for you! No one would know. All you have to do is pay them, and the credit is all yours. Like you said, whatever it takes.


You open your laptop to search for ghostwriters. There are many websites. You click on one that looks promising and scan it.


Hmm, should you take Amy Watson or Ben Hallow? Arnold Potts is also a good choice. But what about Renata Fern?


You finally pick one. Jack Brown. He has 15 years in ghostwriting and has a literature degree from Stanford University. But the weird thing is, he doesn’t want to meet anyone. It has to be only on the internet.


Ah, well. He looks promising and you are desperate. You copy/paste his email into Gmail and start writing:


Dear Mr/Mrs. Brown,


I would like to have you ghostwrite a book for me. I shall give you more details once you have replied to this email and agreed.


Regards,

Stone Riley


After a day, you get his reply:


Dear Mr/Mrs. Riley,


I agree. What now?


Regards,

Jack Brown

PS. I’m a Mr, not Mrs.


Good. He agrees. Now to tell him what I want him to do.


Dear, Mr. Brown


I need you to write a book for me. I’m under writer’s block, and I need a story. It should be … fantasy. State your price.


Regards,

Stone Riley


His email arrives sooner than you thought.


Dear Mr. Stone


I’ll write your story for you. My price is $20,000. I hope you can make the deal.


Regards,

Jack Brown


You read his email. $20,000 as a price? That’s all your savings! But you need the book and the profit. This is a gamble. But no risk, no reward, right?


Dear Mr. Brown,


I agree. Give me your bank number and I’ll transfer the amount. But you need to guarantee me a great book. 


Regards,

Stone Riley


And on and on the emails went. Soon, you have a book ready. As you’re walking to the publishing office, you think about what you did. Was it ethical? Will it leak out? And most of all, what if the book turns out to be a failure?

August 31, 2020 15:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

144 comments

Akshat .
15:42 Aug 31, 2020

Okay, some things to say here: 1. I hope you like my story! Give me a follow if you're up for it! 2. This took some time to write, so don't badger me on that, please! 3. Absolutely NO OFFENSE TO GHOSTWRITERS OR PEOPLE WHO HAVE/ARE USING THEM! NO OFFENSE! Ok, that's all! Hope you like the story!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amany Sayed
21:07 Aug 31, 2020

Great story Akshat! Very interesting take on the prompt, I wouldn't have thought to have ghostwriters in there. It makes you wonder about actual ghostwriting out there, ya know? Like if the "writer" ever takes too much credit. Anyway, the only grammar mistake I found was that every time you write "Ah well" you should have a comment after the "Ah". I use that phrase a lot so 😂. Yeah, overall I NEED A PART TWO NO PRESSURE THOUGH! Keep writing! :) ~A

Reply

Akshat .
06:24 Sep 01, 2020

Thank you so much! I'll change the "Ah well" thing! I'm not sure if I'll do a part 2. Mostly, there won't be one. Thanks though!

Reply

Amany Sayed
12:25 Sep 01, 2020

No problem! Aw, man, okay. You're welcome! :D

Reply

Akshat .
12:27 Sep 01, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Hriday Saboo
06:53 Sep 07, 2020

Hey just loving this story. I have read it about 5 times. Just gave u a boost in your karma points, feel free to do the same. - Hriday a true potterhead

Reply

Akshat .
07:31 Sep 07, 2020

Thank you so much! I'll do yours to!

Reply

Hriday Saboo
07:35 Sep 07, 2020

Thanks a lot

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hey, Akshat! Just here to ask—do you want to do another you-upvote-me-as-I-upvote you? Last time we did 70 or something points, and we could do the same this time, but maybe 100 or 50....(although 100 might be tricky for me, because dive already upvoted most of your comments). Please reply soon! ~Aerin

Reply

Akshat .
13:45 Sep 02, 2020

YES! PLEASE!

Reply

Okay! How much upvoting are we doing today??? 50 points? 80?? Ima just start upvoting you...

Reply

Akshat .
13:57 Sep 02, 2020

I dunno.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zilla Babbitt
00:37 Sep 01, 2020

You asked me to read, so here I am. Hmmm, weird that this is creative nonfiction... just kidding. This is cool! I honestly like the flashback, it works pretty well. First, the descriptions of his wealth are good at first and eventually get annoying. We understand he's rich, it's okay. Second, this reads well except that you're missing a conclusion. Was Jack Brown really that good? Who is this Jack? It reads like you're trying to mysteriously show that Jack is someone significant to the story... and then there's no reveal. Inserting this w...

Reply

Akshat .
06:26 Sep 01, 2020

Thanks a lot! I'll change the wealth thing, maybe lessen it. Thank you again!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
14:41 Sep 01, 2020

No problem!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Woah, this was awesome! The present-tense beginning was so cool, and seemed so realistic...and then it switched to what actuslly happened!! This is actually a pretty common situation, famous authors being ghostwritten, but you took it to the EXTREMES! That’s what fiction is for, after all!! Anyways, I enjoyed this story, with the great plot, even better writing, and touched of humor! Keep writing, Akshat!

Reply

Akshat .
06:27 Sep 01, 2020

Thanks a lot!

Reply

Of course! P. S. I just posted a new story; could you check it out? Thanks!

Reply

Akshat .
03:08 Sep 02, 2020

YES!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Akshat, can you help me?! I’m trying to submit a story but SOMETHING IS HAPPENING! My screen just looks like this... IMG_3828.png Do you know what to do?! Does this happen for you?! PLEASE HELP!

Reply

FALSE ALARM! It fixed itself. Would you mind checking out my new story?

Reply

Akshat .
03:08 Sep 07, 2020

Of course!

Reply

Thanks!

Reply

Akshat .
12:20 Sep 07, 2020

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Keerththan 😀
05:16 Sep 05, 2020

You have stated in your bio that you are a hardcore Harry Potter fan. I have a joke with Harry Potter. Check it out in my bio. P. S :- don't get angry. Just for Fun.

Reply

Akshat .
05:48 Sep 05, 2020

Yeah, I am! I already saw the joke, it’s nice! Just, you spelled Dobby wrong

Reply

Keerththan 😀
05:49 Sep 05, 2020

Lol!!!😂😂😂 Yeah, I will change it.

Reply

Akshat .
06:01 Sep 05, 2020

:)

Reply

Keerththan 😀
06:04 Sep 05, 2020

;)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Keerththan 😀
02:54 Sep 18, 2020

Can you do some upvoting for me while I do for you? Thanks. (I lost 600 points yesterday)😭😭😭

Reply

Akshat .
02:55 Sep 18, 2020

Of course! I'll do yours later though, I'm busy right now. (ARGH! THE DOWNVOTER MADE ME LOSE 100 POINTS YESTERDAY TOO!)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
03:02 Sep 03, 2020

Loved your story. Please read mine. JUST KIDDING! I did enjoy the read and wonder how many famous people out there gained it through someone else. Not just writing. To me it would always nag at the back of my mind that me being famous is not from my talents.

Reply

Akshat .
03:09 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you so much! No, I'll read yours!

Reply

Corey Melin
03:15 Sep 03, 2020

I read part of your bio where you mention ones who say they love your story then ask to read there's is irritating so I started my comment that way.

Reply

Akshat .
03:17 Sep 03, 2020

Oh, no you weren't like that! Some people go like this: "It's awesome! Please read my story." In short, you didn't do that. :)

Reply

Corey Melin
03:22 Sep 03, 2020

I get many too. Take care

Reply

Akshat .
03:23 Sep 03, 2020

You too!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
B. W.
18:36 Sep 02, 2020

I don't think i've said anything about this one so im going to now. like your other ones this was really great as well after this i think i'll go and look at all of them since i think i've only read 1 or 2 of them. so i'm going to give this story a 10/10 as well ^^ i was also wondering if you could maybe help me with something?

Reply

Akshat .
02:24 Sep 03, 2020

Thanks again! Yeah, of course, I'll help you! What is it?

Reply

B. W.
02:31 Sep 03, 2020

No prob ^^ well i need ideas for a new story i wanna try and make later. the only things i've managed to think of because my writers block is terrible is that its about a princess and powers as she can shape-shift and read minds. so i was hoping you could give me some ideas

Reply

Akshat .
02:36 Sep 03, 2020

Hmmm, maybe ... everyone hates her but she doesn't know, because she's never left the palace? And when she sneaks out, she reads all their minds and get's to know. So then she runs away into some woods, and she meets a ... bandit or something. Well, that's all I have! Maybe ask Aerin B. for more suggestions!

Reply

B. W.
02:42 Sep 03, 2020

Hm, maybe it seems a bit interesting. but i'm not sure if Aerin can help with it

Reply

Akshat .
02:51 Sep 03, 2020

Oh, okay.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
K. M. Carpenter
16:42 Sep 02, 2020

Very enjoyable! A take on the prompt I hadn't even thought of. Your writing style is so smooth, it just catapults the reader directly into the story and keeps them there until the final word. You put me into a position where I knew what the protagonist was doing was wrong, I knew I shouldn't root for them, but I kind of did anyway. That type of confliction, to me anyway, is fantastic! Keep writing!

Reply

Akshat .
02:24 Sep 03, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
16:18 Aug 31, 2020

I am the first commenter so Like all time your stories are awesome and a you have a creative imagination that’s good which will help you in future. Are you writing a novel , because in your bio it’s written?

Reply

Akshat .
18:19 Aug 31, 2020

Thanks! Yeah, I am!

Reply

Amogh Kasat
04:53 Sep 01, 2020

OH THAT'S GOOD

Reply

Akshat .
06:27 Sep 01, 2020

:)

Reply

Amogh Kasat
08:48 Sep 01, 2020

:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:13 Sep 16, 2020

I love this! I loved having to wait until the very end to find out the author was a fraud, or was he? Doesn’t ghostwriting mean it’s “his” work technically? Great ethical question and awesome writing!

Reply

Akshat .
03:11 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:39 Dec 16, 2020

Hey Akshat! I can see your profile, is everything okay? I am asking because your bio came off as pretty sad...

Reply

Akshat .
02:59 Dec 17, 2020

Well, it's no use lying, so no. Not everything. You see, Vayd left, so I have basically no friends on Reedsy, and I think no one sees my stories these days (Kinda my fault, I don't post any)

Reply

06:43 Dec 17, 2020

Oh, I see. I am sorry to hear that, though I never talked to Vayd or anything like that. Well, are you sure he's your only friend? I mean I vividly remember you being close to Aerin, Amany and people like that. Is there a reason why you don't post though? I remember reading one of your stories, it was amazing!! Sorry, if I am like being in your business or anything like that! You don't have to answer if you don't want too

Reply

Akshat .
13:58 Dec 17, 2020

It's alright. He kind of is because Aerin has a billion friends (And I don't talk with her these days), and I barely chatted with Amany. I'm kind of busy these days actually. I'm trying to create a news website! And no, I am not 30 years old lol. Nonononononononono, you aren't, don't worry! :)

Reply

23:27 Dec 17, 2020

Ohhh well yeah I see what your saying. Ouu whats it gonna be about, like art, drawings, photography? Is it gonna be things like that?

Reply

Akshat .
02:38 Dec 18, 2020

Just current topics.

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
18:43 Sep 16, 2020

Ouuuu I liked this! I remember you followed me and I promised I would read your story one day (promise to myself) AND I FINALLY DID! This was amazing. I like the way the character refers to himself "You enter- You type" you know that it was super unique. I like the whole back story..honestly the whole story was just a calm vibe..like that part where he sits and watches the fireplace. And I thought a ghostwriter was someone who just writes a story but uses another name so that no one knew who they were..😭I didn't know it meant somebody ...

Reply

Akshat .
03:10 Sep 17, 2020

Thank you so much! I'm glad you liked this one! :) And people who keep a fake name are called pen names. Like, the names, not the people lol. But thanks again!

Reply

03:42 Sep 17, 2020

Ohhhh! Learn something new everyday! And yeah of course!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Wow! Awesome story Akshat! I really loved it! The heading is really straight forward! Love it!

Reply

Akshat .
04:35 Sep 12, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

You're welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Amogh Kasat
07:55 Sep 07, 2020

It's a wonderful story! Please read my latest story

Reply

Akshat .
08:34 Sep 07, 2020

I'll read it, but don't just comment with a single word of praise without reading my story and asking to read yours.

Reply

Amogh Kasat
08:40 Sep 07, 2020

Actually I have already commented

Reply

Akshat .
08:48 Sep 07, 2020

Okay.

Reply

Amogh Kasat
08:48 Sep 07, 2020

Please read the story

Reply

Akshat .
08:56 Sep 07, 2020

Did it :)

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Doubra Akika
07:37 Sep 02, 2020

Amazing work! I think your writing has improved since the last story I read of yours. You're doing an amazing job of showing and not telling. The flashback works amazingly well with this! It was like you just switched from present to past with so much ease. Your writing here was fantastic! Amazing work again! Hope you're staying safe!

Reply

Akshat .
07:56 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you so much!

Reply

Doubra Akika
07:59 Sep 02, 2020

My pleasure! I loved it! If you get the chance, would you mind checking out my story! I'd love to see what you have to say!

Reply

Akshat .
08:05 Sep 02, 2020

Of course! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Kristin Neubauer
19:40 Sep 01, 2020

Hah! That's a funny story, Akshat. Great concept...talking about going all in! I really enjoyed your story and the writing - very quick-paced and easy to read.

Reply

Akshat .
03:09 Sep 02, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Izzy G
19:10 Sep 29, 2020

This was really cool, I liked it!

Reply

Akshat .
03:44 Sep 30, 2020

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.