Contest #13 winner 🏆

68 comments

Mystery Fantasy Indigenous

The island reeked of fish; scattered guts and oozing blank eyes littered the black beaches, and the mountains smelled of bubbling, potting fish intestines. The sky was continually dark with the smoke from the fires beneath the cauldrons, and the water had a thin film of scales and oil, all in the bays and quaysides round the island. In the deepsea around the island, the fish that were still alive avoided the inlets and told tales among their young that a bloodthirsty monster lived on the isle, with a mouthful of snatching teeth poised to take them from their beds and gnash and rip and kill.

Ione stepped from her home made of stone and breathed in deeply. Her lungs filled with that beautiful, terrible smell of cooking, rotting fish, and she smiled. Her small leather boots clicked against the stone steps that led to the ocean, and Ione waved hello to Cymbeline the cat Queen as she walked past.

Queen Cymbeline was sitting on a sunny rock, licking her black paw and periodically nibbling on a small minnow, stolen from the fish pots.

Ione wrapped her cloak around her shoulders as she walked down to the water. Obsidian-colored and shuddering back and away from the shore, the water curled and bubbled and foamed and shivered, cried and wept and showed the future and hid the past and was always there, always, for the present.

Ione loved the sea and could not bear it when she was not a step away from it, could not smell the good stench of the sea, could not feel the iron and the salt in her blood and marrow.

Ione walked along the shore and then turned to go up another set of stairs, leading away into the folds of the rocky jade mountains.

The island was a small island with many mountains, each a different patchwork color of heartwood green. The water lapping against the black volcanic sand was deep, soulful blue, and the skies above were perpetually streaked with grey and black. Ione’s steps wound all up and down the mountains and hillocks, toward the cliffs in the center of the island that divided the island like a dagger of slicing ocean, down to the black beach, toward the heart of the smallest mountain, where her stone home lay nestled.

She lived on the island alone; she and her cats lived on the island alone.

Ione was a young crow-haired girl who had lived as long as she could remember and then some; had seen the waves recede and then flood a thousand times; had seen millennia of cats ripen and birth and grow and die. Ione lived in her stone house and reaped the harvest of fish that the ocean gave her. Ione was somewhat of a mystic and somewhat of a human—she could not tell which was right, which seemed right to her in her bones.

Ione ate only fish, and kept only black cats.

She could not remember, but she thought she was at least a thousand years old.

***

Ione picked up Queen Cymbeline as she passed, from the stone basking in the sun. The Queen prowled up her shoulders and dug her claws deep into Ione’s shoulder. Ione scowled and stroked the Queen hardly, digging her fingernails into the flesh of the cat.

Queen Cymbeline was the cat that had come floating in on a raft of fish scales, mewing for its mother and for its milk. Ione rescued her and the Queen had immediately taken up residence among the hundreds of black cats on the island as the one who ruled. Her authority was not taken for granted.

Ione was not sure how she felt about Queen Cymbeline. The Queen was an odd creature who loved and hated Ione by turns. She would purr and rumble and rub round Ione’s ankles one day and turn right around and bite and scratch her the next.

Ione could not understand her. Ione herself was a strange creature, who loved and was submissive to the island one day, and fought and spit and hated it the next.

She had come weeping to the island, and the island had taken her in and cared for her and kept her alive these years, and now Ione was its Queen.

Queen Cymbeline was a strange cat, a fighting, fierce cat, a cat that could not be tamed.

Ione was a strange soul, a fighting, fierce soul, a soul that could not be tamed.

She made her way toward her fishing spot; the Point of Pascal, as she called it. She carried a plain canvas bag on her back.

She had no holidays, obviously, but the mountains did. It was later in the year and just about the time for the white pumpkins to appear on the slick chartreuse hill-sides, just time for the seasonal orange fish to appear in Ione’s nets, time for the black cats to reproduce, time for new small mewling black cats with red eyes to appear among the horde.

Samhain. The time of Samhain. That was what the cats called it, among themselves.

It was a cliff, and she lowered her nets into the thrashing fighting mass of trapped fish—fish trapped in the little inlet because of the fickleness of the tide and the currents. Ione called it the sea’s gift, and she never hesitated to thank the sea gods she believed gave her the fish harvest.

The cliff was the center of the island, and far below in its misty depths was the sea, trapped in rock, slicing through the heart of the island.

She cast her nets down into the deep and tied them securely to the stakes on the cliff. The Queen wormed down her shoulders and yowled in her face. Ione swatted at her, and the Queen bit her.

Bleeding, Ione yelled. “Stupid cat! Stay away!”

She sucked her wrist and watched the drops of blood fall into the oblivion below her.

Ione sat in the shade of the mountain and petted the Queen until the sun was high and she was hot and the nets were pulling. She stood and untied one of the ropes.

The cats over the island heard the scratch and the click that accompanied this action, and came swarming.

Tens, hundreds, thousands. Black cats, black cats, black cats. Richard III and Hamlet and Troilus and Macbeth and Romeo. All with names and all with hearts and all with a hunger for fish.

She counted them as they came. One, two, three… nine, ten… Ione loved her cats. She let ten—only ten—sleep in her house with her. Queen Cymbeline, Pandarus, Calchas, Banquo, Margaret Plantagenet, Iago, Desdemona, Mistress Quickly, Tybalt, and Iachimo. They were the ones she loved and the only black cats she saw daily. The only ones she really called by name.

Ione pulled until the veins stood out in her head. The rope rose slowly and reluctantly, and it was about an hour before the struggling nets came over the hump of the cliff.

No longer moving, the fish lay in the limp net. Catfish and anglerfish and tuna and swordfish and lionfish and salmon and carp and breams and pikes and mahi-mahi and zander and mackerel and bass and Tang and perch and bluegill and Wishfish and cod. Every kind of fish in the world came to this island and came into Ione’s nets.

Ione dug deep and pulled out the freshest ones and flung them into the seething mass of black cats behind her. The Queen leaped high and caught a mackerel, big and fat and brightly orange, in her mouth. Ione laughed and let the bag strapped to her back swing to the ground.

She bent and pulled, bent and pulled, her back muscles ringing and singing, moving under her skin as they had always moved and pulled and gotten stronger, each day Ione has been alive.

Ione took the tuna and the Wishfish (native to the waters round the island) and tossed them into her bag. These were the ones she ate. Tuna on Sundays, Wishfish for Mondays through Saturdays. All the other fish were for the cats.

Ione brought the canvas bag full of fish back down the steps and into her house. She steamed and dried the tuna, and let the Wishfish bake in the oven, still cindery and hot from last night’s fire.

“Queeny, come,” she called to Cymbeline. She hoisted the Queen to her shoulders again, and the cat snuggled her neck as Ione walked back up to the cliff.

Ione set the Queen to the ground and then took the nets in hand and dragged them down the steps to the plateau where she did the cooking. There, Ione spent the rest of the day skinning and gutting and tossing the limp silver bodies into the bubbling cauldrons. She would feed all of the cats at high noon, flinging ladlefuls of the fish goop into wide pink mouths until her wrist ached and there were no more hungry cats.

After her chores were done Ione would walk tiredly to her stone house to count her black cats and feed them the swordfish she had left over. Queen Cymbeline sat on her lap and purred and received the choicest mouthfuls, until the sun disappeared behind the checkerboard verdant mountains and Ione fell asleep with the Queen on her lap.

October 27, 2019 19:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

68 comments

11:58 Aug 20, 2020

You Deserved to win, Zilla. Great story 👌👌

Reply

Show 0 replies
Racheal Chie
20:39 Aug 16, 2020

Let me have a read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
01:24 Aug 12, 2020

Marvellous! The imagination in this is entirely unbelievable! I think you should make this into a fantasy novel of some kind. This is just too genius. Where can i get such creativity? *shiverrr*

Reply

Show 0 replies
Pragya Rathore
13:06 Aug 11, 2020

Hey Zilla! I was just going through the winning stories (to have a better idea of what kind of stories win, lol) and I couldn't help but comment: this story is really unique! Nothing like any story I've ever read before. I especially loved the part where you compare their personalities. Kudos(belated)!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ana V
17:43 Aug 03, 2020

Very beautiful!! I really enjoy this story, and creativity/thoughts you put in here. I love how you thought about a queen cat. Beautifully written!! Please do take a trip to my profile using this link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ana-v-52b2e4/ I would love if you could leave some constructive feedback on how I should improve my writing. It would mean a lot! (Also, it would be nice if you check my writing consistently, and comment so that you could comment on my addition writing pieces I will write in the fu...

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
01:47 Aug 04, 2020

Well, let's see. Read. "The Elements of Style," "On Writing," and "Writing Down the Bones" are all good. As for contests, there are hundreds but I'm not sure if any are free. Take a look at Reedsy's lists of contests and lit magazines, and don't be afraid of a good Google search! I entered the Short Edition contest, though I think it's closed now, and the KC Dunford or Dunstead contest, though that might be closed too. Read Shakespeare and Dickens and all the greats, but here's a list of my favorite modern writers: Catherynne M Valente Joan ...

Reply

Ana V
20:23 Aug 04, 2020

Thank you so much for this!! I'll check out the books by the authors, and I'll read the books you suggested!! Mind checking out my profile? Please do take a trip to my profile using this link: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/author/ana-v-52b2e4/ Constructive feedback would be greatly wanted! (Also, please check out my profile consistently, as I would also love if you could check out my other pieces I'll be writing in the future.) Once again, thanks a lot! Please keep me posted with additional information!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel Nest
09:41 Mar 10, 2020

Congratulations on winning with this one. I can finally put a finger on what you do best: Painting vivid details of the worlds you create and really transporting us there. The story is, in essence: "a very old witch living on a island catches fish and feeds her many cats," and yet you create such a complete picture of Ione and her world that it's a joy to explore the setting and all the hidden details. A well-deserved win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Emily White
15:03 Oct 15, 2020

This is amazing! I have a question: how do you get to this level of skill when it comes to the description? I loved this so much and the images this story printed in my mind were quite vivid.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Amara Tillington
11:38 Jan 11, 2021

I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
F. A.
15:31 Dec 05, 2020

Hi Zilla! I was thinking about reading your winning stories, and here I am! This is such a great story! Deserved to win!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Endera Allen
14:23 Oct 14, 2022

Good morning Zilla, I love your story I would love to chat with you about reprinting your short stories in our newspaper. My email is eallen@northendagents.com

Reply

Show 0 replies
Adaline McDowell
05:10 Jul 13, 2021

I just would like to say- I crave more from this vivid, sea setting you've developed. You left me to ponder what the island could have really symbolized... and how this symbol alters to every person who has read this story, now including me. :) Beautifully written!

Reply

Zilla Babbitt
14:52 Jul 13, 2021

Thank you, Adaline 😘

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Melody Frost
06:44 Jun 25, 2021

I love this story so much.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Dhwani Jain
13:32 May 24, 2021

Great story Zilla, I am new here but if I'd have written a story on this prompt, it would be definitely related to the superstition. But you, oh wow! Your take on this prompt was awesome, and its originality made it win. I love the names you've chose, for the cats and for Ione as well. Really liked the way you kind of connected Queen Cymbeline and Ione as thought they were the same soul in two different forms! BTW, wher're you from?

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ethan Henry
09:06 May 16, 2021

This was amazing

Reply

Show 0 replies
18:02 Mar 25, 2021

The island reeked of fish; scattered guts and oozing blank eyes littered the black beaches, and the mountains smelled of bubbling, potting fish intestines....The opening lines hooked me. As I read on, it confirmed what I had thought:::you have a real talent in descriptive writing. The personificatiosn and the lovely adjectival noun clauses, and the figurative turns are a real treat. Yes, what you lacked in plotting, you more than made up with your surefire kaleidoscopic spread of words. Loved this. I shall read more winners of yours. Congra...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ilhan Hussein
17:29 Mar 25, 2021

Wow, what an amazing piece.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Porter Zeel
18:13 Jan 21, 2021

Very good. I don't agree when you say it had no plot though. The plot is just deep within and very deep

Reply

Show 0 replies
Chioma Onyema
00:19 Jan 13, 2021

You are so good at writing books!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Ammaar Yusuf
00:22 Dec 14, 2020

nice story! love it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Lucas Zhou
23:40 Dec 02, 2020

wow... may i ask where you got this idea from? i am intrigued deserved win

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.